• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I just finished Curious George goes Fishing and I can't wait to begin Curious George goes Camping. My daughter loves them.

Fromper

"A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.

On less serious subject matter, I've been going back and reading some of my old comic books. I stopped collecting new ones regularly over a decade ago, though there are some I'd want to catch up on. I'm currently reading the stuff published by the short lived company CrossGen, which put out some pretty good stuff in the 4 years or so they existed. I've found that I can get back issues cheap online, so I've been finishing my collection of their books and starting from the beginning in reading it all.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

Just finished Consider Phlebas by Iain Banks and Magician's Apprentice by Feist.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
The Almost Nearly Perfect People: The Truth about the Nordic Miracle by Michael Booth.

An insightful primer on the Nordic countries on which I, in common with many other folk, am shamefully ignorant.

Funny, too.

InChrist

Free4ever
I have just read: When Being Jewish was a Crime by Rachmiel Frydland. A true account from a man who lived in Poland and escaped death time after time during the Holocaust.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I'm juggling three teen fantasy/sci fi series right now because I was a little burnt out on the heavier stuff and I just wanted a good story, dangit!

The three are: the Lorien Legacies, Ashfall (holy crap, this may be the first topic I couldn't find a wiki on, like ever), and the Mortal Instruments.

They all got good concepts.

The Lorien Legacies follows a group of alien teenagers stranded on Earth that need to develop their powers to defeat the evil aliens that destroyed their home planet. Ashfall follows a teen and his girlfriend as they navigate through post-apocalyptic America after the Yellowstone volcano blows. The Mortal Instruments are about a race of humans that protect the rest of us from demons and other fey.

Like I said: Cool concepts.

But they all have the same problem: No matter how serious a jam they are in, or how cool what they are doing is, it all boils down to how much the guy likes her, or what the girl thinks about him, or omg aliens are trying to kill us but all that matters is I go see the girl I've been dating for like 2 whole weeks!

It makes them nearly impossible to enjoy. The Mortal Instruments is the worst. It's basically Twilight: Girl meets impossibly perfect guy, is pretty pathetic at basically everything, and then their love becomes forbidden causing extreme mental anguish. Blrch. Just go kill some demons already! Or, spend some time training to be an absolute ****** rather than mooning over some boy and moaning about how you will never be as perfect as him.

Ashfall is probably the least worst in this department (though the protagonist does fall into an impossibly strong love-relationship at the ripe age of 15).

The other problem is that most of their problems stem from just not telling anyone about it. Half the books would be solved from the get-go if they just went up to the appropriate adult and said "Yo. This is what's going on."

Le sigh. I suppose that's what you get when you read stuff meant for teens. Teens probably eat up that independent crap, even when it leads to demonstrably worse scenarios.

esmith

Veteran Member
The Coldest Winter by David Halberstam; just finished Civilian Warriors - The inside story of Blackwater by Erik Prince

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Constantines-Sword-Church-Jews-History/dp/0618219080

So far, I'm disappointed. It's a fascinating topic, but when it comes to this guy's writing style . . .

Seems like every time he gives the reader a bit of actual information he spends the rest of the page talking about how he feels about it, or how the reader should feel about it, or how his mother would have felt about it, . . .

Also spotted a couple of historical mistakes.

Found myself skimming through each paragraph hoping to isolate the bits having to do with the topic and ignore the rest.

Anyway, I just found out there's a movie. :D Constantine's Sword (2007) - IMDb

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Currently "I am Livia"

Just read the entire Percy Jackson Series, Nefertiti and Heretic Queen (Moran is the author I think on the latter.) I need to read more Egyptian history. Even the historical fiction helps me understand the gods there better.

Started a handful of others because I'm indecisive.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
After a thread her that concerned a quote from Wuthering Heights I decided to reread it. I hadn't read it since I was a girl. There is so much more to it than I remembered.

Fromper

I just finished The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Relgions, which was shallow and inaccurate, even for a Dummies/Idiots type of book. They couldn't even get the number of candles in a Menorah right!

Now, I'm starting on The God Delusion by Dawkins.