• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
One of my favourite authors. Truly gifted. I wish I could r read the farseers for the first time again

I am LOVING it, I had read the first book a month or so ago and finally got back to it. Contrasted with the Magician's Apprentice it's like Night and Day for orphans being raised/trained in a keep/castle for greater purposes. I disliked that book strongly

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I am LOVING it, I had read the first book a month or so ago and finally got back to it. Contrasted with the Magician's Apprentice it's like Night and Day for orphans being raised/trained in a keep/castle for greater purposes. I disliked that book strongly

By the end of the trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted more. There are currently thirteen books in all, set in that world, including a second Fitz trilogy, and Hobb is planning/writing a third. I love them all

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
By the end of the trilogy, I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted more. There are currently thirteen books in all, set in that world, including a second Fitz trilogy, and Hobb is planning/writing a third. I love them all

I'm sure I will, mostly I want him just to kill Regal and get on with it right now. But we shall see! :D

I had never read Hobb before and I'm enjoying the crap out of her work.

JiSe

Currently Reading:
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Blood Rites by Jim Butcher
Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami

Just finished:
5 earlier books of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher ***+
Really entertaining and fast stuff to relax.

How to get filthy rich in rising Asia by Mohsin Hamid ****
Liked this book really much, the structure and way the story was told is nice and the pseudo self help attitude was amusing.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
Lol I need books like that!
No idea what they are but they sound so good!:p

They're excellent.

The Farseer Trilogy is by Robin Hobb. It's a classic and has held up well. Be ware though, she puts her characters through a ringer.

Sworn in Steel is the second of the Kin series, first book is Among Thieves and they're fantasy about well... thieves. By Douglas Hulick

In the same genre is Lies of Locke Lamora (The B*stard Gentleman series) by Scott Lynch.

Or if you prefer kind of a Harry Potter but more epic story for grown ups, may I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. (If book three ever EVER comes out.)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
They're excellent.

The Farseer Trilogy is by Robin Hobb. It's a classic and has held up well. Be ware though, she puts her characters through a ringer.

Sworn in Steel is the second of the Kin series, first book is Among Thieves and they're fantasy about well... thieves. By Douglas Hulick

In the same genre is Lies of Locke Lamora (The B*stard Gentleman series) by Scott Lynch.

Or if you prefer kind of a Harry Potter but more epic story for grown ups, may I recommend The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. (If book three ever EVER comes out.)

Cool, thanks, I really need recommendations.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I found that I was hungry for fiction and changed up my reading list;
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
The Sound and the Fury & As I Lay Dying
Divine Comedy
a collection of Karl Marx's books.

My book for the school semester is called Terrorism versus Democracy, I rented the book, and other than what is required for assignments, I doubt I read more than a few pages.

Fromper

At a cultural fair this weekend, I picked up a free copy of the Quran at an Islam booth. I've been meaning to get that and the Christian Bible and finally read them both at some point, but I haven't gotten around to it. There are a few other ancient classics that have had a huge impact on history and human culture that I want to read, too - Tao Te Ching, The Analects of Confucius, Sun Tzu's Art of War, etc.

Next time I stay at a hotel, I'm stealing the Bible. I used to think that wasn't allowed, but I recently learned that the people who put them there are happy when they disappear. Maybe I'll see how many different holy books I can pick up for free. I hear the Mormons are always giving out free copies of the Book of Mormon, too.

But I haven't actually started reading any of these yet. Currently still working through The God Delusion by Dawkins. While I agree with pretty much all of what I've read there so far, and I'm learning some interesting information, I'm not a huge fan of his writing style. I can see where all the complaints about him being too abrasive come from.

GoodbyeDave

My last raid on the library yielded two works of fiction
Soprano, by Marion Crawford
Lost valley, by Algernon Blackwood
and two of religion
Outline of Madhva philosophy, by K. Narayana
Hindu conception of the deity as culminating in Ramanuja, by Bharatan Kumarappa

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
2014 Edition of Webster's Dictionary, just riveting stuff. Absolutely interesting plot lines and very well defined characters. The amount of details given behind the origins of each character is amazing and it is one of the first novels where the book explains how to pronounce them as well. This right here is just Pulitzer Prize winning stuff guys I would highly recommend anybody to read this amazing book. I never thought anybody could making such intriguing stories like this

McBell

Admiral Obvious
06c937_23c00c88754088b08e3a06a235b2132a.jpg_1024

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Reading this: Constantine's Sword: The Church and the Jews, A History: James Carroll: 0046442219082: Amazon.com: Books

So far, I'm disappointed. It's a fascinating topic, but when it comes to this guy's writing style . . .

Seems like every time he gives the reader a bit of actual information he spends the rest of the page talking about how he feels about it, or how the reader should feel about it, or how his mother would have felt about it, . . .

Also spotted a couple of historical mistakes.

Found myself skimming through each paragraph hoping to isolate the bits having to do with the topic and ignore the rest.

Anyway, I just found out there's a movie. :D Constantine's Sword (2007) - IMDb

It got better. He stopped talking about himself around about the 4th century. :D