• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What book(s) are you reading now?

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
The Book of the Twelve Beguines by Blessed John Ruysbroeck, is what I'm reading at the moment. It was written in the 14th century and is a guidebook on contemplative prayer, containing a mixture of poetry and prose.

It says that in the highest stage of the spiritual life there is nothing save an experience of emptiness in which one knows neither oneself, nor any other creature, nor even God but only eternal, measureless love ie:

AND thus the Fourth Mode is a state of emptiness, made one with God in bare love and in Divine Light, free and empty of all the observances of love, above actions, and enduring a pure and simple love, which consumes and annihilates in itself the spirit of a man, so that he forgets himself, and knows neither himself nor God, nor any creature, nor aught else but Love alone, which he tastes and feels and possesses in simple emptiness. He feels himself one Breadth with Love, Which is measureless, comprehending all things, and Itself for ever remaining incomprehensible. He sees himself made one with the eternal Length, which is immovable, without beginning or ending, going before and following after all created things

Its rather complicated stuff - not light reading anyway, but hey I'm into that kind of thing :angel2::cover:

Last edited:

Nehustan

Someone asked this the other day somewhere else, so I have a reply prepped. I don't read one book at a time (short attention span), so last book finished James Barr - A line in the Sand. Current books...

The Psychoanalytical Movement, Ernest Gellner
Key Concepts of Lacanian Psychoanalysis, Dany Nobus
Ecrits, Jaques Lacan
Kim, Rudyard Kipling
The Man who would be King, Rudyard Kipling
The Anthropology of Space and Place, Low and Lawrence-Zuniga
Simulcra and Simulation, Jean Baudrillard
Architecture and Order, Pearson and Richards
Cosmology and Architecture in Premodern Islam, Akkach

Draka

Wonder Woman
Finished off all the Sookie books (the last of the 13 a couple days ago). Now reading "The Host" by Stephanie Meyer.

freethinker44

I have been trying to get into Koontz's Odd Thomas.

I read a few of his books because my mom liked him, but it seemed like he always went for the Scooby Doo ending. There is this intricate story with mysterious supernatural like villains, but wait... it's not a ghost at all, it was just the local security guard upset about his job. Good thing our hero was there to save the day because he almost got away with his evil scheme.

After the first couple books it becomes predictable.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
Currently reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke. For anyone out there loving fantasy or modern weird, I strongly recommend it.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
One I'm currently reading is Why Christianity Must Change or Die by John Shelby Spong.

It is a wonderful book and is one of the many factors which has helped me be more open to the idea of "god".

Also, one I want to find is I'm Perfect, You're Doomed; which is a womans memoir of being raised as a Jehovahs Witness.

I am reading it right now. I have read a few of his other books, and I am sure of what he doesn't believe, but I'm not sure what his view of God and Jesus are. Do you know? Maybe I'm just being thick.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Memnoch the Devil by Anne Rice. I still haven't read all her vampire books. That's the one I'm on.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
In addition to Memnoch, library just got this one in, I've wanted to read for a LONG time- Egypt, Canaan, and Israel in Ancient Times by Donald B Redford

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Name of the Wind, Book One of the Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss

Wind.jpg

apophenia

'Vernon God Little' by DBC Pierre.

This guy is a great writer. Booker prize winner 2003.
This book is subtitled 'A 21st Century Comedy in the Presence of Death'. The protagonist and first-person voice of the novel is Vernon Little, who is 15 and asking himself "..what kind of ****en life is this ?". Very funny, hard to put down.

l also recently read another novel by DBC Pierre - 'Lumila's Broken English'. Excellent book. Very funny, very tragic, very twisted.