• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Can Atheism Lead To?

footprints

Ok, so, you actually agree with me. That was my only point. You can be an atheist and still believe in the supernatural.

An atheist is a lack of belief in a deity. Not a lack of belief in God specifically.

Anything which fits the definition of a deity, is a deity.

I can only say again, why don't you put up a poll and see how many atheists believe in the tooth fairy, flying teapots, spaghetti monsters, pink unicorns et al. You can settle this point pretty quickly by doing it. Of course any person who answers Yes, I believe in any one of them, is not an atheists (they just think they are).

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
LOL, I will play your silly little game Immortal Flame.... even though the facts of reality will deny you, as it has been me continually asking for people to define a deity.
Why do you always have to do this meaningless posturing? Can't you just cut the chase rather than playing these childish games?

I raised a point, the impetus is on you to answer it. If possible, do it without all of this arrogance.

A deity is anything, which any person on the face of the earth, says it is. That is their belief, and that is their perception. A tree can be a deity to the Australian aboriginal, and the atheist, well they have this strange belief in a flying teapot, spaghetti monsters, pink unicorns et al.
So, if I say that a pencil is God, then that pencil is God and I have conclusively proven the existence of God by demonstrating that the pencil exists?

What you're basically saying is "there is no real definition of a deity, it's just a label people apply to things". In that case, a deity is nothing since it could be applied to anything.

Remember what you accused someone of doing earlier?

"with friends like you and others in this thread, atheism sure doesn't need enemies."

Right now, you've basically admitted that your definition of God is a meaningless label that has no basis in reality. You just made atheism look pretty good.

So are you the ruling body on what a deity is, and what a deity isn't? Get over yourself.
Reading comprehension, grasshopper.

Atheists do not believe in God - God being defined as a being that created the Universe. You can, therefore, be an atheist and still believe in pixies, etc. provided you do not believe that said pixies created the universe - and hence they are not "God".

Another example of your complete inability to read and respond to a point as it is written - just distort it.

I get the point which they are trying to make. Just like people not going to church doesn't mean they do not believe in a deity. It is an irrational, one sided, point of view, one unknown fact cancels out the other, and shouldn't be used in any rational debate.
How is it irrational? Neither fact "cancels out the other", it's a perfectly relevant and cohesive point.

Ten people in a room all dressed in the similar suits and you wouldn't know a believer from a non-believer if you tripped over them. An irrational viewpoint to conclude that you do.
Good thing nobody made that claim, then.

Also, stop trying to judge what is "rational" and what is "irrational". You clearly do not have a grasp on what qualifies as either.

All we can go by is the honesty and intelligence of people when they fill out a census form. Sorry to say, facts deny you, get used to it, your imagination doesn't count.
More spewing in lieu of a response to the actual issue raised.

Spoken from a true atheist perception.
Well, since I clearly demonstrated that claim to be true I guess that means the atheist "perception" is the correct one.

Or, at least, a better vantage point than yours.

Tristesse

An atheist is a lack of belief in a deity. Not a lack of belief in God specifically.

I can only say again, why don't you put up a poll and see how many atheists believe in the tooth fairy, flying teapots, spaghetti monsters, pink unicorns et al. You can settle this point pretty quickly by doing it.

I said a god. Meaning any god. It doesn't matter what most atheists believe, the fact remains that you can be an atheist and still believe in the tooth fairy. A god is not required for a belief in a tooth fairy.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin

And that definition is...?

I can only say again, why don't you put up a poll and see how many atheists believe in the tooth fairy, flying teapots, spaghetti monsters, pink unicorns et al. You can settle this point pretty quickly by doing it. Of course any person who answers Yes, I believe in any one of them, is not an atheists (they just think they are).
What good would that do? The point has never been that atheists, in the majority or minority, believe in supernatural forces - but that they can believe in such things while remaining, by definition, atheists.

footprints

Why do you always have to do this meaningless posturing? Can't you just cut the chase rather than playing these childish games?

I raised a point, the impetus is on you to answer it. If possible, do it without all of this arrogance.

Immortal, this just about sums you up. Your question was answered. First it highlighted your irrational reasoning, seeing as how I was the person asking for definition of a deity. Then, then, then, I gave you the definition which you asked for. Yet you still come back with this crap.

LOL you really do make a persons day.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Immortal, this just about sums you up. Your question was answered. First it highlighted your irrational reasoning, seeing as how I was the person asking for definition of a deity. Then, then, then, I gave you the definition which you asked for. Yet you still come back with this crap.

LOL you really do make a persons day.

If you can't respond to the rest of my post, that's fine. You can go do some coloring in while those who have the means to contribute to this debate do so.

I find it laughable that you accuse me of irrationality when you cannot demonstrate any such irrationality whatsoever. On the other hand, I have clearly demonstrated yours. Now, I have taken the time to read and respond to each of your points individually and raise my counter-argument. I would thank you to show me the same respect.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
LOL how many times do I have to give you that definition before it sinks in?:facepalm:

And that definition is:

"A deity is anything, which any person on the face of the earth, says it is."

You do realize, as I demonstrated above, that this is not a definition, right? Seriously, re-read your argument and try to tell me it makes any kind of sense:

1. Anything which fits the definition of a deity, is a deity.
2. A deity is anything, which any person on the face of the earth, says it is.

So, what you're saying is that anything that fits the definition of a deity is, therefore, a deity, and that the definition of a deity is anything that anybody says a deity is.

:facepalm:

footprints

If you can't respond to the rest of my post, that's fine. You can go do some coloring in while those who have the means to contribute to this debate do so.

I find it laughable that you accuse me of irrationality when you cannot demonstrate any such irrationality whatsoever. On the other hand, I have clearly demonstrated yours. Now, I have taken the time to read and respond to each of your points individually and raise my counter-argument. I would thank you to show me the same respect.

Debating with a person who is beyond reason, who floods a post with their own imagination as you have done, then comes back with derogative put downs, I see no value in answering at all.

Albeit, out of politeness I always will. Whether you like the answer or not, is your problem to deal with, not mine.

footprints

And that definition is:

"A deity is anything, which any person on the face of the earth, says it is."

You do realize, as I demonstrated above, that this is not a definition, right? Seriously, re-read your argument and try to tell me it makes any kind of sense:

So, what you're saying is that anything that fits the definition of a deity is, therefore, a deity, and that the definition of a deity is anything that anybody says a deity is.

:facepalm:

How else do we get deities in our society? Oh that is right, people give them definitions and believe in them.

Your irrationality is beyond reason.:facepalm:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Debating with a person who is beyond reason, who floods a post with their own imagination as you have done, then comes back with derogative put downs, I see no value in answering at all.
You mean, derogative put-downs such as: "LOL, I will play your silly little game Immortal Flame.... even though the facts of reality will deny you"?

All I did was tell you to stop making such comments that do not contribute to the debate or help your case. Apparently, that makes me "beyond reason" and constitutes a put-down.

Albeit, out of politeness I always will. Whether you like the answer or not, is your problem to deal with, not mine.
Except you haven't, so you've shown absolutely no politeness with me by your own admission.

Now, either respond to my arguments or admit that you can't. It's that easy.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
How else do we get deities in our society? Oh that is right, people give them definitions and believe in them.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Read again:

Is this seriously the case that you want to make? Are you seriously admitting that deity is a useless label that could, and is, applied to anything?

Do you realize how badly this hurts your case?

Your irrationality is beyond reason.
Is that one of those derogatory put downs I've heard so much about?

footprints

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Read again:

Is this seriously the case that you want to make? Are you seriously admitting that deity is a useless label that could, and is, applied to anything?

Do you realize how badly this hurts your case?

Is that one of those derogatory put downs I've heard so much about?

Good enough for you to use derogative put downs, it is certainly good enough for me. If you don't like them, don't use them and they will not come back to bite you.

Your irrationality continues.

footprints

You mean, derogative put-downs such as: "LOL, I will play your silly little game Immortal Flame.... even though the facts of reality will deny you"?

Get over yourself, and what crap was I replying to. LOL. You really do make my day.

Tristesse

You know footprints, someone who tosses around the word irrationality as much as you do, might be compensating for something.

footprints

You know footprints, someone who tosses around the word irrationality as much as you do, might be compensating for something.

Oh yes Tristesse, now you are getting it, I am compensating for a sanity which I cannot get from some posters with extreme beliefs. I sometimes think, perhaps a jolt of the truth might wake their senses up. I should of course no better, you cannot debate against a severe belief pattern, they will never see logic nor reason.

There is an old truism which goes like this, "You cannot talk logic or reason to a madman." Still I give it a shot, that is my insanity.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Good enough for you to use derogative put downs, it is certainly good enough for me. If you don't like them, don't use them and they will not come back to bite you.
You insulted me first. Evidence above.

Your continued inability to address my argument rather than formulate pointless, unrelated rants is noted...

Get over yourself, and what crap was I replying to. LOL. You really do make my day.

... as is your continual use of insults in spite of railing repeatedly against them.

I've gotten into the habit of watching the "Keyboard cat" video after I read one of footprints' posts. You'd be surprised how fitting it is.

footprints

You insulted me first. Evidence above.

Your continued inability to address my argument rather than formulate pointless, unrelated rants is noted...

... as is your continual use of insults in spite of railing repeatedly against them.

I've gotten into the habit of watching the "Keyboard cat" video after I read one of footprints' posts. You'd be surprised how fitting it is.

Get over yourself. This was your first line to me. Telling me I had it wrong, and relating it to pure fantasy. Don't try to insult my intelligence, and I will not show how irrational you are.

"No, they are asking you what you define as a deity."

LOL you really do make my day.

Can I ask you something? Do you have more than one pseudonym in this forum?

Last edited:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Get over yourself. This was your first line to me. Telling me I had it wrong, and relating it to pure fantasy. Don't try to insult my intelligence, and I will not show how irrational you are.

"No, they are asking you what you define as a deity."
And you define that as a derogatory put down?? Are you serious?? There is nothing about it that is even remotely insulting to you. By that standard, any time that anybody says anything that contradicts anything anyone else says, it's an insult.

Just admit it, you insulted me first.

And stop using the word "irrational". You are clearly the least rational person in this debate. I do not have to show this to you, or anyone else for that matter. They can see for themselves.

LOL you really do make my day.

Can I ask you something? Do you have more than one pseudonym in this forum?
No.

footprints

And you define that as a derogatory put down?? Are you serious?? There is nothing about it that is even remotely insulting to you. By that standard, any time that anybody says anything that contradicts anything anyone else says, it's an insult.

Just admit it, you insulted me first.

And stop using the word "irrational". You are clearly the least rational person in this debate. I do not have to show this to you, or anyone else for that matter. They can see for themselves.

No.

LOL, Get over yourself, I will tell you what insults my intelligence and what doesn't. And, I am telling you, your make believe, fertile imagination insults my intelligence.

Cheers.