• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Can Atheism Lead To?

footprints

Some sort of spirit or life force is not necessarily a god. Buddhist are technically atheists, they don't believe in a god, but they do believe in spirits and reincarnation. So, actually it doesn't support your case.

That is a perception. Buddhist are not atheists they are believers by your own testimony. So actually, minus your perception, and your attempt to change facts by your association, it does support my case. Thank you.

It also shows the lengths some people will go to, to support their own belief.

Albeit you keep arguing against statistical data, who knows, one day you may be correct.

Tristesse

That is a perception. Buddhist are not atheists they are believers by your own testimony. So actually, minus your perception, and your attempt to change facts by your association, it does support my case. Thank you.

Albeit you keep arguing against statistical data, who knows, one day you may be correct.

If you don't believe in a god, you are an atheist. Thats all my point was. Buddhists don't believe in a god, ergo they are atheists. They may not label themselves as such, but by definition they are. You keep saying, "a believer," a believer in what?

dust1n

Zindīq

Atheism is commonly defined as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader definition is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3]

If a Buddhist does not believe in a deity, than they are an atheist, regardless on their feelings on other metaphysical questions. Unless someone says or thinks that they believe in a deity, than they are an atheist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#cite_note-2

footprints

Atheism is commonly defined as the position that there are no deities.[1] It can also mean the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[2] A broader definition is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3]

If a Buddhist does not believe in a deity, than they are an atheist, regardless on their feelings on other metaphysical questions. Unless someone says or thinks that they believe in a deity, than they are an atheist.

Deity is a very broad definition. Buddhist do indeed believe in a spiritual world and a spiritual existance. God per se, is a spirit by many interpretations, even the essence of the universe, which is of course one of the beliefs some buddhists hold.

Unless you are now trying to tell me that to be an atheist, one must believe in the spirtual world? That certainly would be news to me. Pagans et al, are just as dumb and stupid to the average atheist, as any theist is.

Tristesse

Deity is a very broad definition. Buddhist do indeed believe in a spiritual world and a spiritual existance. God per se, is a spirit by many interpretations, even the essence of the universe, which is of course one of the beliefs some buddhists hold.

Unless you are now trying to tell me that to be an atheist, one must believe in the spirtual world? That certainly would be news to me. Pagans et al, are just as dumb and stupid to the average atheist, as any theist is.

Atheism is just the lack of belief in a god or gods, you can believe in an afterlife and still be an atheist. What you're thinking of and what commonly gets associated with atheism is skepticism, most atheists are skeptics, but not all of them. To be an atheist, it only means that you don't believe in a god, it doesn't dictate what other beliefs you have.

dust1n

Zindīq

What the **** are you talking about? Atheism has nothing to do with the spirtual word. There is one fundamental concept.. you lack the belief of a deity.

As broad as the definition may be, it has a pretty specific definition.

A deity[1] is a postulated preternatural or supernatural immortal being.

You still have to claim something to be a deity for it to be a deity.

Either way.. I wanted to say those statistics could go either way. Some would probably consider this life force 'god', some wouldn't.

Though, I will not reply to you any longer for being so rude for jumping to conclusions about my judgments.

footprints

If you don't believe in a god, you are an atheist. Thats all my point was. Buddhists don't believe in a god, ergo they are atheists. They may not label themselves as such, but by definition they are. You keep saying, "a believer," a believer in what?

A deity per se has a wide definition. Atheists do not believe in spirits of any description or definition.

A believer is a person who believes in a spirtual world of any description. A non-beleiver is a person who doesn't believe in any spiritual existence. These terms are in general usage, and fairly well defined.

Tristesse

A deity per se has a wide definition. Atheists do not believe in spirits of any description or definition.

A believer is a person who believes in a spirtual world of any description. A non-beleiver is a person who doesn't believe in any spiritual existence. These terms are in general usage, and fairly well defined.

No, you're not getting it. An atheist can believe in spirits, an afterlife, reincarnation, any number of superstitious beliefs. The only requirement is the lack of belief in a god. A god is not required to belief in a spirit or an afterlife.

footprints

What the **** are you talking about? Atheism has nothing to do with the spirtual word. There is one fundamental concept.. you lack the belief of a deity.

As broad as the definition may be, it has a pretty specific definition.

A deity[1] is a postulated preternatural or supernatural immortal being.

You still have to claim something to be a deity for it to be a deity.

Either way.. I wanted to say those statistics could go either way. Some would probably consider this life force 'god', some wouldn't.

Though, I will not reply to you any longer for being so rude for jumping to conclusions about my judgments.

Please define what a deity is?

I will already tell you a deity has a very broad band of definition depending on the the faith of belief. Many christians in this forum will tell you God per se, is an energy form which fills the universe, the same as some Buddhists beliefs.

So are you now trying to tell me, that to be an atheist requires a belief in a spirtual world? That atheists do not deny ghosts, spirits et al exist?

Tristesse

Please define what a deity is?

I will already tell you a deity has a very broad band of definition depending on the the faith of belief. Many christians in this forum will tell you God per se, is an energy form which fills the universe, the same as some Buddhists beliefs.

So are you now trying to tell me, that to be an atheist requires a belief in a spirtual world? That atheists do not deny ghosts, spirits et al exist?

The only requirement to be an atheist, is a lack of belief in a god. Everything else is fair game.

linwood

I know atheists who believe in ghosts.
I know atheists who believe in the Tarot.
I know atheists who won`t walk across a black cats path.

They just don`t believe in god/s.

Atheists aren`t inherently rational.

footprints

No, you're not getting it. An atheist can believe in spirits, an afterlife, reincarnation, any number of superstitious beliefs. The only requirement is the lack of belief in a god. A god is not required to belief in a spirit or an afterlife.

No Tristesse, I am getting it. You need to believe something to support your own belief.

To reject a deity, means a person rejects everything which pertains to an alledged deity. The alledged deity doesn't exist, so thereby the null and alternate hypothesis, the rest just doesn't fit. To say that reincarnation exists, the atheist would be giving support to the supernatural, and thereby concluding the probablity that a deity could exist and defeating their own intelligence.

A deity is a spirit in an afterlife. Some suggest the highest authority therein. There is absolutely no difference between the biblical term heaven, and the Hindu/Buddhist term Utopia. Reincarnation is to ascend and to come back again.

There is no difference between the terms, ghost, spirit, angel, demon, whatever. Each means a life form which we have no evidence thereof.

If any atheist believes in anything supernatural, they are not an atheist at all. God per se, being supernatural by some explanations.

footprints

I know atheists who believe in ghosts.
I know atheists who believe in the Tarot.
I know atheists who won`t walk across a black cats path.

They just don`t believe in god/s.

Atheists aren`t inherently rational.

Then the people you know, are not atheists and sound more like pagans or some cultural belief. The reason people hold an atheist view, is due to the supernatural aspect of a deity and lack of evidence thereof. The opposite to supernatural is natural. Ghosts, Tarot cards, black cats et al, are born of the supernatural.

Might be an interesting poll, how many atheists in this forum believe in ghosts, tooth fairies, spaghetti monsters, fortune telling, reincarnation, flying teapots, pink unicorns et al.

Tristesse

No Tristesse, I am getting it. You need to believe something to support your own belief.

To reject a deity, means a person rejects everything which pertains to an alledged deity. The alledged deity doesn't exist, so thereby the null and alternate hypothesis, the rest just doesn't fit. To say that reincarnation exists, the atheist would be giving support to the supernatural, and thereby concluding the probablity that a deity could exist and defeating their own intelligence.

A deity is a spirit in an afterlife. Some suggest the highest authority therein. There is absolutely no difference between the biblical term heaven, and the Hindu/Buddhist term Utopia. Reincarnation is to ascend and to come back again.

There is no difference between the terms, ghost, spirit, angel, demon, whatever. Each means a life form which we have no evidence thereof.

If any atheist believes in anything supernatural, they are not an atheist at all. God per se, being supernatural by some explanations.

No it doesn't. A god is not required for a belief in the supernatural. You can protest it all you like, but the fact remains the you are factually in error. I have friends who are atheists, but believe in ghosts. You are conflating atheism with skepticism. An atheist can be an atheist for irrational reasons.

Tristesse

Then the people you know, are not atheists and sound more like pagans or some cultural belief. The reason people hold an atheist view, is due to the supernatural aspect of a deity and lack of evidence thereof. The opposite to supernatural is natural. Ghosts, Tarot cards, black cats et al, are born of the supernatural.

Might be an interesting poll, how many atheists in this forum believe in ghosts, tooth fairies, spaghetti monsters, fortune telling, reincarnation, flying teapots, pink unicorns et al.

No, you are factually wrong. An atheist is an atheist because they don't hold a belief in a god. Anything else they might believe is up to them, but the only requirement is a lack of belief in a god. How are you not understanding this? I can believe in pixies and still be an atheist, no one is saying that all atheists are rational.

Again I must point out the elephant in the room - Being that 'atheism' encompasses nothing more than a negative position on an issue that is completely irrelevant to one that holds that negative position (God is only meaningful to a believer),it would seem absurd to base an entire world view around it. What exactly would the common ground be? There is literally an infinite amount of possible worldviews, spiritual positions, and philosophical opinions that don't need to include the belief in a deity or deities.

The OP question is meaningless.

footprints

No it doesn't. A god is not required for a belief in the supernatural. You can protest it all you like, but the fact remains the you are factually in error. I have friends who are atheists, but believe in ghosts. You are conflating atheism with skepticism. An atheist can be an atheist for irrational reasons.

Please define what a deity is? Anything which fits the definition of a deity, is therefore a deity figure.

Let me assure you down some lines of definition of what a deity is, the deity is a spirit (some might say ghost) who occasionally visits people here on earth and talks to them.

Like I said to another poster, may be an interesting poll to put up in this forum and see how many atheists believe in the tooth fairy, flying teapot, spaghetti monster, pink unicorn et al.

footprints

No, you are factually wrong. An atheist is an atheist because they don't hold a belief in a god. Anything else they might believe is up to them, but the only requirement is a lack of belief in a god. How are you not understanding this? I can believe in pixies and still be an atheist, no one is saying that all atheists are rational.

Define what a deity is? How is you are not understanding this?

Doesn't anything which fits the definition of a deity, become a deity? Or is a deity to you only what you say it is and what it isn't?

Tristesse

Please define what a deity is? Anything which fits the definition of a deity, is therefore a deity figure.

Let me assure you down some lines of definition of what a deity is, the deity is a spirit (some might say ghost) who occasionally visits people here on earth and talks to them.

Like I said to another poster, may be an interesting poll to put up in this forum and see how many atheists believe in the tooth fairy, flying teapot, spaghetti monster, pink unicorn et al.

I never said deity, I said a god. And it's not my job to define what god people believe in. A ghost and a god are two separate things, so, you're changing what we're talking about.