• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What church is the true church?

Walkntune

Timothy 4:2

"reprove, rebuke" doesn't sound like 'hey everything is o.k.'
Don't forget when we rebuke its in love, not self righteousness. Its a heart oc compassion not judgement. Jesus took the condemnation away first and tyhen said sin no more. He didn't say don't sin and i won't condemn you.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Also. Xians have to judge things otherwise they become hypocritical.
Hypocritical would be judging the lives of others while ignoring or dismissing ones own shortcomings.

As to the OP, in my opinion, the "true church" does not encompass a building or any Christian sect and it's official doctrine.

The "true church" (in a Christian sense) would encompass all who strive to follow the teachings and example of Jesus.

Walkntune

It's more than that, Xians are not supposed to be "o.k." with sin or wrongdoing, otherwise it's just people calling themselves Christian, it doesn't do anything in real life.
If you don't overcome sin by the love of Christ in you, then you will not overcome at all.

Walkntune

Hypocritical would be judging the lives of others while ignoring or dismissing ones own shortcomings.

As to the OP, in my opinion, the "true church" does not encompass a building or any Christian sect and it's official doctrine.

The "true church" (in a Christian sense) would encompass all who strive to follow the teachings and example of Jesus.
I agree

Walkntune

And? Christianity is more than just making ourselves 'better people', there are inspirational speakers for that, many religions do that.
Its about the redemption of man who fell from Gods provision into the curse of sin and his own self effort of working the ground by the sweat of his brow back in the faith and provisions of God.Its about being out of your efforts (self righteousness)and back into Gods provisions.

Walkntune

If you agree, then that means agreeing with the part about "Obeying all of Jesus's teachings" which you have fought against as "trusting in your own righteousness" at every turn.
Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments just as I have kept my fathers commandments.
Its interesting he didn't say keep my fathers commandments as I have kept my fathers commandments.
Jesus commandments was that of love.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Don't forget when we rebuke its in love, not self righteousness. Its a heart oc compassion not judgement. Jesus took the condemnation away first and tyhen said sin no more. He didn't say don't sin and i won't condemn you.

I'm not "self-righteous", you can stop trying to shift the conversation now/

Why do you equate discerning between right and wrong with 'self-righteousness anyway? Christians aren't supposed to be "o.k." with wrongdoing, Scripture backs this up.

Shermana

Heretic
Jesus said if you love me keep my commandments just as I have kept my fathers commandments.
Its interesting he didn't say keep my fathers commandments as I have kept my fathers commandments.
Jesus commandments was that of love.

Oh he most certainly said to "Follow the commandments" in response to the Rich man's question of how to achieve Eternal Life.

You can't just use one thing Jesus said and ignore all the other places where his teachings are directly implied. So if he says "Follow my teachings", he's obviously referring to all the things he said such as telling that one must "Follow the commandments".

Besides, if he commanded to Love God, and 1 John 5:3 says that "The love of God is obedience to the commandments", it doesn't take much to put 2 and 2 together there.

How can you love God without obeying the commandments in light of 1 John 5:3?

Shermana

Heretic
The whole "Sin no more" thing comes from a totally interpolated passage, the Pericope Adultarea", that doesn't appear in any of the earliest manuscripts and has a little asterisk by it in almost all modern Bibles. So no, Jesus did NOT take the condemnation of sin away. Hebrews 10:26-29 is quite clear that "Fiery indignation" awaits those who continue to sin.

Walkntune

Oh he most certainly said to "Follow the commandments" in response to the Rich man's question of how to achieve Eternal Life.

You can't just use one thing Jesus said and ignore all the other places where his teachings are directly implied. So if he says "Follow my teachings", he's obviously referring to all the things he said such as telling that one must "Follow the commandments".

Besides, if he commanded to Love God, and 1 John 5:3 says that "The love of God is obedience to the commandments", it doesn't take much to put 2 and 2 together there.

How can you love God without obeying the commandments in light of 1 John 5:3?
The law was given to show man where he failed in his self effort to be righteous.Jesus was using the same tactic on the rich man.Self effort remember? the curse man fell into.

Shermana

Heretic
The law was given to show man where he failed in his self effort to be righteous.Jesus was using the same tactic on the rich man.Self effort remember? the curse man fell into.

How about you try actually addressing what I said this time?

Jesus was not using any tactic, he was answering his question. Your claim is entirely baseless and goes against the flow and context of the passage. He said "What else must I do" and Jesus said "Go and sell everything you have". In the Gospel of the Hebrews, it's expanded (and for some reason snipped out from Greek Matthew) that the Rich man had avoided obeying the commandment of helping the poor.

So apparently, the Rich man also had to sell everything he had (A work) to achieve Eternal Life.

This in no way whatsoever jives with your interpretation. It's the complete opposite no matter how you slice it.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

I agree with you that it applies to the Torah laws, however it doesn't apply to discernment between right & wrong.