• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Day was Jesus Crucified?

Harmonious

I'm sure with some ultra-conservatives, or people who simply have a major axe to grind with Jesus, could see it as a sin. I would agree with you on that.
No - even according to the ultra-conservatives, that much was NOT a sin.

Trust me - I have an axe to grind, and this one was NOT a sin.

But if I was pointing out sins that Jesus committed, this one wouldn't be there. Jesus may have on a technicality broken the Sabbath. But then again, millions of Jews are guilty of the same during the Holocaust. I don't think they can be blamed for that. At that point, I don't think the laws are that important. Mainly because I don't think that the laws are meant to hamper a persons life. I don't think anyone could blame a person for ignoring the laws when the laws would burden that person unnecessarily.
:yes:

A

angellous_evangellous

Interesting. However, I don't care enough about the life and times of Jesus to hunt down stories just to show how much of a jerk he was.

The stories in the gospels are more than enough to let me know I want nothing to do with him.

Oh no, I just want to know out of interest, that's all.

Sometimes I forget stuff in the NT, but it's pretty rare.

sbfx

Did the Pharisees not hold that the Feast of Unleavened Bread began the day following the the Passover? The Passover meal one evening and the High Day, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread the next evening, lasting seven days? -Antiquities of the Jews

What are your thoughts on this?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Except for one thing. It was more or less the week before Passover, when thousands of Jews came from all over, to purchase and prepare their animals for the holiday.

If the Jews coming in internationally were stuck, and could not change their money, there were thousands of people who were seriously inconvenienced by this tantrum.

You aren't really thinking of the scenario from the Jews' perspective, particularly not from someone who might have been a potential buyer or seller, or come in internationally.

On a daily basis, you are right. It might not have been as big a deal. If Jesus did what the gospels say he did, he caused major chaos right before Passover.

If I actually believed the gospels gave an accurate rendition of history, I would never be able to forgive Jesus for that.
Point taken. I can see how it would be on a more major scale than I implied.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
He "drove" the people out of the Temple Area.
He spilled out their coins on the ground. Don't you suppose that coins might have been lost or stolen?

IMO Jesus conduct may have started a RIOT.

BigRed
It wasn't a riot. We can be very certain about that. If he created a riot, we can be quite sure he would have been arrested immediately.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Did the Pharisees not hold that the Feast of Unleavened Bread began the day following the the Passover? The Passover meal one evening and the High Day, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread the next evening, lasting seven days? -Antiquities of the Jews

The Passover meal was the first day of the feast as a whole. Or Passover was the first day.

The two terms have been used interchangeably, and Luke even implies this by stating that the festival was known both ways.

smokydot

The time line is different in the synoptics and in John's gospel.
When I wrote "Sabbath" in my post, I was not refering to the weekly, saturday, Sabbath. The first day of unleavened bread is also called a Sabbath because no work is permitted on that day.
Jesus could have refused to carry his cross. What could they do if he didn't? Kill him?
BigRed
He would not have been in obedience to the Scriptures had he done so -- Lk 18:31; Mk 8:31-32, 9:31, 10:33-34; Mt 26:24; Lk 22:37, Mt 26:53-54, 55-56.

A

angellous_evangellous

Jesus was crucified on a Tuesday. Died three years later. Rose from the grave on a cool September morning - a Monday.

Harmonious

Did the Pharisees not hold that the Feast of Unleavened Bread began the day following the the Passover?
No. The Passover offering was slaughtered during the day of Nissan 14, but the Feast of Unleavened Bread, otherwise known to Jews as a Passover Seder, is the night of the 15th of Nissan. That is when it is officially called Passover.

The 14th of Nissan is merely Erev Pesach, or "the day before Passover." Not much more, but a day of intense preparation. Not a holiday, nothing like that.

The Passover meal one evening and the High Day, the first day of the Feast of Unleavened Bread the next evening, lasting seven days? -Antiquities of the Jews
Oy. :facepalm:

The Seder is the first evening, and the entire night and day is a holiday where work isn't supposed to be done. That IS the first day of "the Feast of Unleavened Bread."

However, the Jews being forbidden to eat leavened bread from that day until seven days later. (Or, eight days, outside of Israel.)

There you go.

smokydot

gee i wonder, is this the peace the good lord in heaven above bestows to his faithful?
:sarcastic
This, my dear, is the sword of the Spirit. . .which is the word of God in the Scriptures (Eph 6:17), which is
sharper than any two-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing belief and unbelief. . .it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. (Heb 4:12)

Last edited: