• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What did Jesus Look Like?

outhouse

Atheistically
Did you perhaps notice that Elijah was taken up by what appears to be an aircraft?

:facepalm: little else needs to be said

Textual analysis

According to Susanne Otto, the Elijah stories were added to the Deuteronomistic History in four stages. The first stage dates from the final edition of the History, about 560 BC, when the three stories of Naboth’s vineyard, the death of Ahaziah, and the story of Jehu’s coup were included to embody the themes of the reliability of God's word and the cycle of Baal worship and religious reform in the history of the Northern Kingdom. The narratives about the Omride wars were added shortly afterwards to illustrate a newly introduced theme, that the attitude of the king towards the word of the prophets determines the fate of Israel. 1 Kings 17–18 was added in early post-Exilic times (after 538 BC) to demonstrate the possibility of a new life in community with God after the time of judgment. In the fifth century BC, 1 Kings 19:1–18 and the remaining Elisha stories were inserted to give prophecy a legitimate foundation in the history of Israel.[21]

Which means these were not historical events that actually took place.

More ancient alien rhetoric based on pathetic lies

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
I agree with what you say except that sorcery may merely had been technology. Not so long when even using matchsticks to light a fire made some primitive people jump back in fear.

The bit about Elisha and the bear has always left me squeamish. Surely if this be true how could it have killed so many children and just left Elisha. I sometimes wonder if this was not one of those hell and damnation scare tactic he threatened them with. Then I also wonder where were the parents of so many children and why they did nothing.

Did you perhaps notice that Elijah was taken up by what appears to be an aircraft?

No - I don't see an aircraft of any kind in that story.

2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2Ki 2:12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

YHVH was originally a Sun God, and Sun Gods of the time were often portrayed as riding across the sky in a blazing Chariot of the Sun.

Archaeologists have even uncovered Jewish Temple floor mosaics showing YHVH in his Sun Chariot - surrounded by the zodiac.

The second one leaves no doubt that YHVH is the Sun God. It is from a Synagogue in Sepphoris. The Sun is driving the chariot.

Thus it just means he was taken up by YHVH.

Beit_Alpha.jpg
the-sun-god-in-the-synagogue-2.jpg

Last edited:

Theunis

Textual analysis

According to Susanne Otto, the Elijah stories were added to the Deuteronomistic History in four stages. The first stage dates from the final edition of the History, about 560 BC, when the three stories of Naboth’s vineyard, the death of Ahaziah, and the story of Jehu’s coup were included to embody the themes of the reliability of God's word and the cycle of Baal worship and religious reform in the history of the Northern Kingdom. The narratives about the Omride wars were added shortly afterwards to illustrate a newly introduced theme, that the attitude of the king towards the word of the prophets determines the fate of Israel. 1 Kings 17–18 was added in early post-Exilic times (after 538 BC) to demonstrate the possibility of a new life in community with God after the time of judgment. In the fifth century BC, 1 Kings 19:1–18 and the remaining Elisha stories were inserted to give prophecy a legitimate foundation in the history of Israel.[21]

Not credible

Theunis

No - I don't see an aircraft of any kind in that story.

2Ki 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.

2Ki 2:12 And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof. And he saw him no more: and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.

YHVH was originally a Sun God, and Sun Gods of the time were often portrayed as riding in a blazing Chariot of the Sun.

Archaeologists have even uncovered Jewish Temple floor mosaics showing YHVH in his Sun Chariot - surrounded by the zodiac.

The second one leaves no doubt that YHVH is the Sun God. It is from a Synagogue in Sepphoris. The Sun is driving the chariot.

Thus it just means he was taken up by YHVH.

Beit_Alpha.jpg
the-sun-god-in-the-synagogue-2.jpg

Most interesting.
I am not arguing any point but while scratching around I came across the following site that has some interesting things to say about the "Chariot of Fire"
Towards the end of the article I do however find him to lean towards the fanatical.

http://www.totheends.com/chariot.html

Last edited:

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Most interesting.
I am not arguing any point but while scratching around I came across the following site that has some interesting things to say about the "Chariot of Fire"

That site jumps to conclusions that are not there.

And it is totally debunked when it says the one in the Chariot of Israel is Jesus.

EDIT - I thought I should say a little more about Ezekiel (mentioned on that site.)

The wheel is the heavens with the main zodiac.

The four cherubim, man, ox, lion, and eagle, represent the cardinal points, and copy the composite beasts of Assyria, which represented the four main seasons of the year.

The three pairs of wings on each probably represent the further breakdown of the 4 quarters into 12, or the Zodiac.

All those eyes are possibly background stars.

The throne is the Sun.

There is actually astronomy/astrology throughout the Bible.

The story of Jacob’s ladder with seventy-two angels ascending and descending.

The seventy-two angels represent the 72 decans of the zodiac of five degrees each.

It takes 72 years for the procession of the equinoxes to move one degree. So the 72 angels constant ascending and descending represent the constant one degree movement of the Zodiac.

Apparently there are Gnostic texts telling us that the chariot of Ezekiel is the Chariot of the Sun, the zodiac with the 72 decans. – Doresee, 166

Last edited:

JoStories

Did you ever consider some technological devices. Elijah had a cloak which he left behind for Elisha and they are still searching for Jesus's cloak. Both Elijah and Elisha used that cloak to part the waters of the Jordan and Elisha also did some matter duplication - filling a number of vases with oil from only a small vase.
2 Kings 2:8; 2:14
2 Kings 4:2-6

Perhaps the bread and fish were multiplied in a similar manner. Who knows?

You are assuming that these things truly happened and no one can say for certain that they did. But think about this. While there is evidence of Jesus extant to the Bible, there is no record of these alleged miracles anywhere outside of the Bible. The Bible was never meant to be taken literally. Do you honestly believe that the world is only 6 thousand years old, for example? And how do you explain the errors? Such as the proverbial rabbit and its cud. There is historical import within the Bible. Don't mistake me on that but there are also too many errors for any serious theologian to believe it is completely true.

JoStories

I agree with what you say except that sorcery may merely had been technology. Not so long when even using matchsticks to light a fire made some primitive people jump back in fear.

The bit about Elisha and the bear has always left me squeamish. Surely if this be true how could it have killed so many children and just left Elisha. I sometimes wonder if this was not one of those hell and damnation scare tactic he threatened them with. Then I also wonder where were the parents of so many children and why they did nothing.

Doesn't this...what you say above..prove my point? If a story in the Bible is a moral tale, which is fine btw, and it was not meant to be taken literally, as you say above, why do you have an issue with my statement about the alleged miracles being metaphoric in nature? Perhaps a better word would be allegorical here. But either way, there are many things in the Bible that were not meant to be taken literally. That, of course, does not diminish the weight of the Bible.

JoStories

Textual analysis

Interesting Outhouse. I had not heard of this writer and had to tough time finding her in fact. But what I did read makes a great deal of sense in terms of the tale we are discussing here. I read Theunis's remark that she is not credible and I would strongly disagree with him/her. From what I read and the journals she published in, she is highly credible. Thank you for yet again bringing me new information and teaching me a bit in the process. Kiss kiss darling.

JoStories

Most interesting.
Towards the end of the article I do however find him to lean towards the fanatical.

Here are my problems with that site. One, it is not referenced at all. Second, it draws conclusions that are simply and seemingly pulled out of thin air. If a source is deemed to be credible, speaking as a doctor of theology, it must be clearly referenced, APA or MLA formatted and reviewed by peers. None of that is within this authors' writings.

Theunis

Here are my problems with that site. One, it is not referenced at all. Second, it draws conclusions that are simply and seemingly pulled out of thin air. If a source is deemed to be credible, speaking as a doctor of theology, it must be clearly referenced, APA or MLA formatted and reviewed by peers. None of that is within this authors' writings.
So?
Did you read what I said about the site?

Last edited:

Theunis

You are assuming that these things truly happened and no one can say for certain that they did. But think about this. While there is evidence of Jesus extant to the Bible, there is no record of these alleged miracles anywhere outside of the Bible. The Bible was never meant to be taken literally. Do you honestly believe that the world is only 6 thousand years old, for example? And how do you explain the errors? Such as the proverbial rabbit and its cud. There is historical import within the Bible. Don't mistake me on that but there are also too many errors for any serious theologian to believe it is completely true.
How do we after this lapse of time determine that it did not happen?

Theunis

Doesn't this...what you say above..prove my point? If a story in the Bible is a moral tale, which is fine btw, and it was not meant to be taken literally, as you say above, why do you have an issue with my statement about the alleged miracles being metaphoric in nature? Perhaps a better word would be allegorical here. But either way, there are many things in the Bible that were not meant to be taken literally. That, of course, does not diminish the weight of the Bible.
I had no issues; Neither did I query anything.
Referring to technological devices that most fail to see I merely mentioned something and then said Who Knows !

Theunis

That site jumps to conclusions that are not there.

And it is totally debunked when it says the one in the Chariot of Israel is Jesus.

EDIT - I thought I should say a little more about Ezekiel (mentioned on that site.)

The wheel is the heavens with the main zodiac.

The four cherubim, man, ox, lion, and eagle, represent the cardinal points, and copy the composite beasts of Assyria, which represented the four main seasons of the year.

The three pairs of wings on each probably represent the further breakdown of the 4 quarters into 12, or the Zodiac.

All those eyes are possibly background stars.

The throne is the Sun.

There is actually astronomy/astrology throughout the Bible.

The story of Jacob’s ladder with seventy-two angels ascending and descending.

The seventy-two angels represent the 72 decans of the zodiac of five degrees each.

It takes 72 years for the procession of the equinoxes to move one degree. So the 72 angels constant ascending and descending represent the constant one degree movement of the Zodiac.

Apparently there are Gnostic texts telling us that the chariot of Ezekiel is the Chariot of the Sun, the zodiac with the 72 decans. – Doresee, 166

It boggles my mind
The following is a link regarding an investigation by an engineer, who even registered a patent, while studying and analyzing what Ezekiel saw. His original intention was to debunk what von Daniken wrote on this matter in Chariots Of The Gods.
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sitchin/spaceships_ezekiel.htm
http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sitchin/spaceships_ezekiel.htm

outhouse

Atheistically
Interesting Outhouse. I had not heard of this writer and had to tough time finding her in fact. But what I did read makes a great deal of sense in terms of the tale we are discussing here.

I don't think she can narrow it down to 4 with certainty. But I would say the text were in an almost constant state of evolution, I think 4 covers the major redactions vaguely

I read Theunis's remark that she is not credible and I would strongly disagree with him/her.

In desperation he/she is just blurting out rhetoric.

Never being able to provide any credible links or source to back the absurd claims brought forth.