• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you feel is wrong with Christianity

This should be an equal oppurtunity forum. S.Z.(Muslim) who bowed out on 12-07 stated a thread What do you feel is wrong with Islam. I think it was a good point /counter thread. Einstein and Mfaraz Hayat among others really keep the thread going. Hopefully this will give the Christians a chance to answer some "misconceptions" about Christianity.
Anyone care to start?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Nothing. :)

There may be problems with the people, but as a whole Christianity is a wonderful religion (if I may say so myself). ;)

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Do you mean abuse by clerics, or abuse of clerics? Or both, because both do happen. Frequently!?
Hadn't thought of it that way but now that I have I see no difficulty with viewing both as wrong.
What I had originally thought of was the abuse that took place by clerics in institutions where they were charged with the care of vulnerable people. I'm thinking Magdeline launderies, industrial schools etc.
Many victims of these institutions continue to suffer and they should be looked after.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Hadn't thought of it that way but now that I have I see no difficulty with viewing both as wrong.
What I had originally thought of was the abuse that took place by clerics in institutions where they were charged with the care of vulnerable people. I'm thinking Magdeline launderies, industrial schools etc.
Many victims of these institutions continue to suffer and they should be looked after.
What about the suffering of those in the mission field? The Church has systematically abused the "heathens" they find in the world. Look what we did to the Indians. And the Polynesians. And the Africans. Etc., etc. We had no business forcibly converting folks, and then insisting that the "converted" think, talk, dress, act, and be like Big Daddy White Boss.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
What about the suffering of those in the mission field? The Church has systematically abused the "heathens" they find in the world. Look what we did to the Indians. And the Polynesians. And the Africans. Etc., etc. We had no business forcibly converting folks, and then insisting that the "converted" think, talk, dress, act, and be like Big Daddy White Boss.
Indeed, fair play to you for addressing them too. It is something as I see 'wrong' with Christianity. The only conclusion I can come to is that Christ is represented by people and that ultimately any individual is responsible for their own relationship with the divine and that in the past the mistake was made of seeing the church as 'middleman' rather than 'guide'. Not very well worded but do you get what I'm trying to say?

sojourner

Indeed, fair play to you for addressing them too. It is something as I see 'wrong' with Christianity. The only conclusion I can come to is that Christ is represented by people and that ultimately any individual is responsible for their own relationship with the divine and that in the past the mistake was made of seeing the church as 'middleman' rather than 'guide'. Not very well worded but do you get what I'm trying to say?
I think what you meant to say was, "mediator." The Church is the mediator of Christ. The mistake is in mediating Christ from a model of imperiality instead of mutuality.

sojourner

Well put. I think that while some clergy have moved away from imperiality this is not true of all, maybe it's a generational thing?
Not all of us are willing to embrace a post-modern (or beyond) point of view. The Church is perpetually behind, in that regard. I think, if we were to "embrace the Kingdom," we would be more proactive and less reactionary.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Not all of us are willing to embrace a post-modern (or beyond) point of view. The Church is perpetually behind, in that regard. I think, if we were to "embrace the Kingdom," we would be more proactive and less reactionary.
True for the Church and all Christians including myself methinks:yes:

Nanda

Polyanna
I don't like the bible's stance on homosexuality or its treatment of women. Churches who can see past that and be all-inclusive (and I mean accepting homosexuals, not "loving" them but making them remain celebate) are ok in my book, though.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This is a loaded question for me. If I find something wrong I have to find my own faults and if I find nothing then I will be accused of favoritism of my own religion. :D

Tragon

Since I have been pondering legitimacy of my own faith towards Christianity, it has raised questions that I wish to be answered someday. Hopefully before end of this school year when I finally will have time to read Bible.

Some moral stances that I find questionable and that have been presented by Christians I have met:

-Homosexuality being wrong.
-Patriarchal approach to gender roles.
-Abortion being wrong.
-Any kind of sexual feeling towards anyone else than your husband/wife being wrong.
-Marriage only with people who are Christians.
-Restriction to use of alcohol.

There were other minor things I think, but can't remember them right now.

Of course not saying all Christians are with these as I have presented them, but that is what Christians I have spoken to have told me. They were fundamentalists with their faith though.

Some Christians have a long list of people who are going to hell (same for Muslims). Doesn't your scripture tell you to judge not lest you be judged? Doesn't Christ say He came to save the world?

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
This should be an equal oppurtunity forum. S.Z.(Muslim) who bowed out on 12-07 stated a thread What do you feel is wrong with Islam. I think it was a good point /counter thread. Einstein and Mfaraz Hayat among others really keep the thread going. Hopefully this will give the Christians a chance to answer some "misconceptions" about Christianity.
Anyone care to start?

Depends on what your definition of Christianity is.

Again ,not everyone who claims christian status are true Christians after the doctrine Jesus taught and the steps he walked.
86% of North America claim the christian status and that includes those who call themselves ,......../ christian.
I have'nt quite figured out what that means when someone puts something like wicca /christian as their title

Somkid

I find the entire idea of believing in something non-verifiable mentally unhealthy but that includes all theistic beliefs.

sojourner

Depends on what your definition of Christianity is.

Again ,not everyone who claims christian status are true Christians after the doctrine Jesus taught and the steps he walked.
86% of North America claim the christian status and that includes those who call themselves ,......../ christian.
I have'nt quite figured out what that means when someone puts something like wicca /christian as their title
This is sectarian hogwash.