• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you know about Islam?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I thought there was 3. :confused:

Four. The Bahai Faith is definitely Abrahamic as well. To a fault, in fact.

And that is assuming that we count them all only once, despite the existence of maybe ten thousand distinct religions movements claiming to be Christianity, as well as impressive (and confusing) numbers of diverging sects of Islam and Judaism as well. They may claim the same god, but they certainly don't claim to be the same Church... :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There's only one Abrahamic faith.

I'm fairly certain that Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the Bahai Faith do exist, and they all claim (or recognize, if you prefer) Abraham as their Prophet. That is the traditional definition of an Abrahamic Faith, you know.

MissAlice

Four. The Bahai Faith is definitely Abrahamic as well. To a fault, in fact.

And that is assuming that we count them all only once, despite the existence of maybe ten thousand distinct religions movements claiming to be Christianity, as well as impressive (and confusing) numbers of diverging sects of Islam and Judaism as well. They may claim the same god, but they certainly don't claim to be the same Church... :)

You know, I really don't know much about the bahai faith. I will have to check that one out, my understanding of the religion is limited. I always wondered if there were others in the line of all faiths.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is that line of all faiths? Religions develop and diverge in tree-like models, not in a linear fashion.

Cordoba

Hola Luis:

From a Muslim point of view, Judaism, Christianity and Islam teach the same faith:

Belief in the One and Only Creator and Sustainer of the universe

The faith conveyed by God through His prophets is the same (Monotheism), and the basic foundation of the Divine Law is the same, what evolved were details of the Law.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What Muslims believe is that their deity screwed up magnificently, not once, but twice, and took from 600 to 2600 years before he finally got it right. Assuming he did, of course, and there is not another instalment to come to correct Muhammad's errors.

I think you will find as a general rule, grasshopper, that you will do a better job of ascertaining people's beliefs if you ask them, rather than tell them.

nameless

The Creator
I quoted sources for all my quotations. You cant dismiss them because they are not accessible to you on the internet. Every source cant be online. And certainly not all Hindu kings were against Buddhism.

hi A-ManESL,

actually, i got sources for every incident you mentioned except that of Mirza Raja Jai Singh, and explained how those incidents lacks credibility. If you have any evidence to disprove those, pls let me know, as i dont trust my sources completely.

I am certainly not condoning the atrocities commited by Muslims, I of course condemn it, but I certainly dont think that this is the exclusive domain of Islam, but extends to Hinduism, Christianity, Buddhism etc too.

A-ManESL, i have nothing to say about whether islam supports violence or not, but what mughal muslims done to india was to spread their faith, islam.

Btw did you read about Dalai Lama 5th.

Yes, i have read a few, but i would appreciate if you explain those here, so that i can respond,

regards...

Last edited:

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Abrahamic Faiths are basically an outsider's name for what I believe you Muslims would call Religions of the Book (plus the Bahai Faith).

Their main distinction, from a non-believer's perspective, is that they demand belief in Abraham's God, a creator God that demands faith in him as the one and only deity.

Some people simply can't bring themselves to that, particularly when it is also demanded that they consult some sort of religious authority to find out what does please God and what does abbhor him. It turns out that I am one of those people.

I will never truly be a Christian or a Muslim, because for me the Faiths of the Book got it all backwards when it comes to God and Religion - they see Religion as a means for reaching out for God, while it is self-evident to me that Religion created God instead (as a concept, of course).

Okay, i didn't understand you were talking about your view of the Abrahamic religions.

The part about it is demanded that they consult some sort of religious authority....

It is not demanded, and it's not religious authority, at least not for all. It's only a point of knowledge, you don't have to oblige the orders of a religious figure, but you should take his opinions into account, due to his knowledge and study, but in the end it's up to you.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What Muslims believe is that their deity screwed up magnificently, not once, but twice, and took from 600 to 2600 years before he finally got it right. Assuming he did, of course, and there is not another instalment to come to correct Muhammad's errors.

Every sentence in this post, contradicts with our beliefs.

1) In our belief, God does not make mistakes.

2) The part about "he took from 600....", you know very well that is not near the truth, and there is no point discussing this part here.

3) We believe Muhammad (pbuh) is the last prophet, so there is no possibility in our belief for another installment.

4) We believe there is no errors with the message.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Every sentence in this post, contradicts with our beliefs.

1) In our belief, God does not make mistakes.

2) The part about "he took from 600....", you know very well that is not near the truth, and there is no point discussing this part here.

3) We believe Muhammad (pbuh) is the last prophet, so there is no possibility in our belief for another installment.

4) We believe there is no errors with the message.

Hi Badran,

Do you know how Christians in Muslim cultures generally think of the Prophet?
For example Egyptian Christians?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hi Badran,

Do you know how Christians in Muslim cultures generally think of the Prophet?
For example Egyptian Christians?

Hi stephenw,

Well, the majority of christians here in Egypt, i mean the usual is that they don't think he's a prophet. But some are interested in the stories, i mean they like his stories and to know about it. In other words, the idea of multiple paths is not very popular here. However a lot of christians here are very familiar with him, and know well about him, and some of them respect him, but not necessarily as a prophet. My experience is limited though, i haven't discussed this issue with a lot of Christians.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Hola Luis:

From a Muslim point of view, Judaism, Christianity and Islam teach the same faith:

Belief in the One and Only Creator and Sustainer of the universe

The faith conveyed by God through His prophets is the same (Monotheism), and the basic foundation of the Divine Law is the same, what evolved were details of the Law.

Hola, Cordoba. Gracias for your input.

I have a bit of trouble understanding what you mean, however. I assume that you are telling me that for a Muslim the main religious choice, and in some respects the one that is really all-important, is that of believing in Abraham's God (or perhaps simply choosing Monotheism? I don't think you are quite claiming that, say, Zoroastrism, the ancient egyptian cult of Aton or a strictly monotheistic cult of Brahma are the same as Islam, however).

That is fine, leaving aside for a moment how exactly Muslims feel and deal with the existence of people that will never be monotheists (or theists, for that matter). There is nothing wrong with being monotheist.

But what does being the same faith due to monotheism actually mean, in practical terms? Shias and Sunnis, Catholics and Anglicans, Orthodox Judaists and Humanistic Judaists, to say nothing of such weighty divisions based on the recognition of Jesus and of the Quran, are usually understood to be significant divergences and for all practical purposes distinct faiths.

Maybe I'm overstating the importance of those splits, but if so then I'm hardly alone. Fact is, except as a statement of recognition for the basic importance of accepting the One True God, not even Muslims usually treat Judaism and Christianism as being essentially the same as their own faith. I'd dare to guess that Sunnis don't often think of Shia Islam as being the same as Islam, even.

I will go so far as to say that belief in God, or even of some specific conception of God such as Abraham's, does not really say much about what the person actually has faith on. God, perhaps counter-intuitively, is not a particularly meaningful concept in a religious sense. It actually has more influence for political matters, since it appeals to the core instincs of Being In the Right when conflicts arise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Okay, i didn't understand you were talking about your view of the Abrahamic religions.

The part about it is demanded that they consult some sort of religious authority....

It is not demanded, and it's not religious authority, at least not for all. It's only a point of knowledge, you don't have to oblige the orders of a religious figure, but you should take his opinions into account, due to his knowledge and study, but in the end it's up to you.

Thanks. It is indeed something that I wasn't aware of. I sincerely believed that it was considered part of a Muslim's duties to defer to the Sheikh's best judgements when they are consulted.

Do Muslims have (or talk often) about the Doctrine of Free Will?

kejos

I'm fairly certain that Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the Bahai Faith do exist, and they all claim (or recognize, if you prefer) Abraham as their Prophet. That is the traditional definition of an Abrahamic Faith, you know.
An Abrahamic Faith? Capitalised? That's someone's lie, isn't it, unless it's unfortunate solecism. There's no tradition. It's a recent invention of desperate antichrists prepared to prostitute reason and academic reputation in the interests of their surging hormones.

But then when there's a herd instinct, it's not too much loss.

kejos

Thanks. It is indeed something that I wasn't aware of. I sincerely believed that it was considered part of a Muslim's duties to defer to the Sheikh's best judgements when they are consulted.
How very control-freaky. You see, it is those confounded Christians who have to be kept in order by fake leaders. Muslims don't need to be, because they are no different from pagans, in reality. If you have braces, you don't need a belt.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
An Abrahamic Faith? Capitalised? That's someone's lie, isn't it, unless it's unfortunate solecism. There's no tradition. It's a recent invention of desperate antichrists prepared to prostitute reason and academic reputation in the interests of their surging hormones.

But then when there's a herd instinct, it's not too much loss.

Is that supposed to have a clear meaning?

How very control-freaky. You see, it is those confounded Christians who have to be kept in order by fake leaders. Muslims don't need to be, because they are no different from pagans, in reality. If you have braces, you don't need a belt.

You are aware that by overdosing on attitude you're not doing yourself, or whichever ideas you may be trying to defend, any favors, right?

Last edited:

fatima_bintu_islam

Did anyone notice that Kejos always win in convos??

Alshafi'i ( one of the most knowledgable scholars of Islam said ) ; I debated with intelligent people and I won, then I debated with ignorants and they won.