• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

jonny

wmam said:
What is the LDS position on the Los Lunas inscription that was found just outside of Los Lunas in the State of New Mexico, USA of the "Ten Commandments". Also, as well as, other ancient Paleo Hebrew inscriptions found in Tennessee as well as the Mississippi Basin?
I don't think that the LDS church has a position on those. I might have a position though. Could you provide some information for me? I've never heard of what you mentioned.

lovedmb

nutshell said:
No. That is not LDS doctrine.

You may be thinking of the Lamanites in the Book of Mormon. Alma 3:6 says, "And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethern..."
And who are the ancestors of the Native Americans according to the Book of Mormon?

From the Intro page of the BoM: "After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians."

Lets be honest. It serves no purpose to be disengenious.

dan

lovedmb said:
So your claim is that the apostle that made the statement about the church records from 1830-1850 is false? You believe that there were more women than men in the church while JS was prophet?
BTW, love the cliche. :bonk: I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to say what I think about your "pricks" comment.
No, I don't think it's false. It says that all the records they have available say one thing. The records I point to are not, nor have ever been available, so they don't fall under that classification. You are splitting hairs, so please have the decency to read your evidence comprehensively. I do believe there were more women than men when JS was prophet.

If you're not allowed to say your comment then Jesus probably doesn't want you thinking it.

Squirt

lovedmb said:
And who are the ancestors of the Native Americans according to the Book of Mormon?

From the Intro page of the BoM: "After thousands of years, all were destroyed except the Lamanites, and they are the principal ancestors of the American Indians."

Wow, that's a great way to start a dialogue -- assume that the other person's going to be disingenuous. You already quoted from the introduction. Why are you asking the question if you already know the answer?

dan

lovedmb said:

You're right. It also serves no purpose to be ignorant.

Principle ancestor does not mean only ancestor. There were other civilizations on this continent before Lehi, and there were many others co-existing with Book of Mormon peoples. Dark skin is also a dominant trait, so several different peoples mixing together would leave us with a homogenous dark-skinned demographic.

Wanna hear something funny? People who constantly try to tear down our faith were always bringing up this DNA evidence that they say proves the native Americans couldn't possibly have come from Israel. They say this because some haplotypes were found in Native American DNA that are found predominantly in eastern Chinese peoples. This means it is more likely that they were from Eastern China. These are haplogroups A,B,C and D. People touted this evidence all over creation, but you don't hear it anymore. You knwo why? Because those same scientists then isolated another haplogroup in ancient Native American blood that is not found in Chinese blood. It is only found in certain European peoples and Israelis. The scientists showed that it was impossible that any known ancient European exposure to the New World could have caused this. Ha, ha! First the evidence says it's more likely that they're Chinese, and now it says they are definitely European or Israeli as well! Ha!

lovedmb

dan said:
You're right. It also serves no purpose to be ignorant.

Principle ancestor does not mean only ancestor. There were other civilizations on this continent before Lehi, and there were many others co-existing with Book of Mormon peoples. Dark skin is also a dominant trait, so several different peoples mixing together would leave us with a homogenous dark-skinned demographic.

Wanna hear something funny? People who constantly try to tear down our faith were always bringing up this DNA evidence that they say proves the native Americans couldn't possibly have come from Israel. They say this because some haplotypes were found in Native American DNA that are found predominantly in eastern Chinese peoples. This means it is more likely that they were from Eastern China. These are haplogroups A,B,C and D. People touted this evidence all over creation, but you don't hear it anymore. You knwo why? Because those same scientists then isolated another haplogroup in ancient Native American blood that is not found in Chinese blood. It is only found in certain European peoples and Israelis. The scientists showed that it was impossible that any known ancient European exposure to the New World could have caused this. Ha, ha! First the evidence says it's more likely that they're Chinese, and now it says they are definitely European or Israeli as well! Ha!
And yet you continue to make claims and never back them up. It is not a debate when you have nothing to support your side.
The thing is, that I'm here to DEBATE religion. I'm not here to "tear down your faith" or anyone else's. Frankly, if you want to believe in a church, it's not my concern. Really. I debate points made by people of all faiths. This isn't personal. But in all honesty, all this process does is make you look ignorant of what is being taught in your church. I'm quite familiar with the mental gymnastics that these things take for you. I used to actively participate in them myself. And if it works for you, then hey, who am I? Have at it. But if you wouldn't mind actually providing back up for your claims when we are engaged in a "debate" I would really appreciate it, because your opinion of things counts for little. Unless of course you are speaking for the church.

lovedmb

dan said:
No, I don't think it's false. It says that all the records they have available say one thing. The records I point to are not, nor have ever been available, so they don't fall under that classification. You are splitting hairs, so please have the decency to read your evidence comprehensively. I do believe there were more women than men when JS was prophet.

If you're not allowed to say your comment then Jesus probably doesn't want you thinking it.
WHAT records are you pointing too? Show me please. That is what I am asking. You have presented no evidence. You believe something. That doesn't make it so. As for what Jesus does or doesn't want, I'm agnostic, frankly I am not all that interested in what Jesus wants. Sorry.

wmam

FFH said:
These definitely are a significant find. I had not heard of these inscriptions before. I am sure they are linked to Book of Mormon history.
Funny that it seems most haven't heard of it................. it was first found back in the 1800's.

Squirt

FFH said:
These definitely are a significant find. I had not heard of these inscriptions before. I am sure they are linked to Book of Mormon history.
That would be great, wouldn't it FFH? But I'd suggest you withhold your excitement until we actually know something about them!

FFH

Veteran Member
wmam said:
Funny that it seems most haven't heard of it................. it was first found back in the 1800's.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I fully believe that these were written by Lehi's descendants who would have spoken Hebrew, because they came from Jerusalem, and landed in South America, and later migrated to North America. The Lamanites seemed to fill South America, while the Nephites seemed to have migrated to, and filled, North America. These are most likely Nephite inscriptions. They would have engraved the ten commandments on prominent buildings or stones the same way we do today.

FFH

Veteran Member
wmam said:
What is the LDS position on the Los Lunas inscription that was found just outside of Los Lunas in the State of New Mexico, USA of the "Ten Commandments". Also, as well as, other ancient Paleo Hebrew inscriptions found in Tennessee as well as the Mississippi Basin?
Here is a newspaper article from the Deseret News, (located in Salt Lake City), dated Feb. 17, 1993. I felt it might go well with what you have mentioned.

I am typing the article from the actual clipping of that newspaper.

Here is the title and it reads as follows:

Ancient Egyptians sailed up the Mississippi

Ancient Egyptians visited America some 3,000 years before Columbus -- and even sailed up the Mississippi River !

That's the astounding conclusion of a Harvard professor who discovered that some American Indians actually spoke Egyptian words !

"Egyptians were exploring America 3,000 years ago," declared Dr. Barry Fell, emeritus professor of marine biology at Harvard University.

"And after extensive analysis of several Indian languages from the area of the lower Mississippi, I've concluding that Egyptian sailors sailed up that great river."

The unusual tongues of the Atakapa, Tunica and Chitimacha tribes have long puzzled linguists, said the professor.

"Scholars previously believed that they bore no relationship to any other known language---however, my analysis revealed a distinct relationship with Egyptian !"

There are striking similarities between many Egyptian and local Indian words, including those for "fear," "cure," "flow," "sink" and float," Dr. Fell points out. "This is just what might be expected if an Egyptian expedition had established a trading outpost there in ancient times !"

jonny

lovedmb said:

The introduction that you referenced to the Book of Mormon was added in 1979. I see it as an interpretation and summary of the Book of Mormon, but not necessarily part of the Book of Mormon. I prefer to stick with what is actually taught in the Book of Mormon, which never mentions the word "American" or "Indians." Since the Book of Mormon ends with the death of the last Nephite, we honestly have no clue what happened to the Lamanites after the death of Moroni. Anyone who claims to know is speculating.

Ody

nutshell said:
No. That is not LDS doctrine.

You may be thinking of the Lamanites in the Book of Mormon. Alma 3:6 says, "And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethern..."
Uh huh.. well love kinda argues against that...

Ody

FFH said:
Here is a newspaper article from the Deseret News, (located in Salt Lake City), dated Feb. 17, 1993. I felt it might go well with what you have mentioned.

I am typing the article from the actual clipping of that newspaper.

Here is the title and it reads as follows:

Ancient Egyptians sailed up the Mississippi

Ancient Egyptians visited America some 3,000 years before Columbus -- and even sailed up the Mississippi River !

That's the astounding conclusion of a Harvard professor who discovered that some American Indians actually spoke Egyptian words !

"Egyptians were exploring America 3,000 years ago," declared Dr. Barry Fell, emeritus professor of marine biology at Harvard University.

"And after extensive analysis of several Indian languages from the area of the lower Mississippi, I've concluding that Egyptian sailors sailed up that great river."

The unusual tongues of the Atakapa, Tunica and Chitimacha tribes have long puzzled linguists, said the professor.

"Scholars previously believed that they bore no relationship to any other known language---however, my analysis revealed a distinct relationship with Egyptian !"

There are striking similarities between many Egyptian and local Indian words, including those for "fear," "cure," "flow," "sink" and float," Dr. Fell points out. "This is just what might be expected if an Egyptian expedition had established a trading outpost there in ancient times !"
So what if there are similarities in words? THAT DOESN'T PROVE ****! You need hard archaelogical evidence to support these claims..I would like to see actual firm evidence other than the familiar sounding of words. I would also like to see the qualifications of this "professor", due to the fact as a A plus student in A.P. Euro i find his evidence to have no conclusive proof what so ever, and what ever college gave him degrees and what not TO BE ASHAMED!

nutshell

To remind everyone and to let the newcomers know, this thread is meant to give forum members an opportunity to ask questions about LDS belief.

So, if you have a question, ask away. I don't like the hard-core debates, but I enjoy Q and A.

Thanks.

dan

AlanGurvey said:
So what if there are similarities in words? THAT DOESN'T PROVE ****! You need hard archaelogical evidence to support these claims..I would like to see actual firm evidence other than the familiar sounding of words. I would also like to see the qualifications of this "professor", due to the fact as a A plus student in A.P. Euro i find his evidence to have no conclusive proof what so ever, and what ever college gave him degrees and what not TO BE ASHAMED!
A plus in AP Euro. Wow. That's a high school class. That's a joke.

If you ever had anything to do with archeology you'd know that everything is established by this kind of evidence. "Hard archeological evidence" is very rare. I'll provide you with one, though. You either show how it is inconclusive or you admit you don't know jack about this.

The Book of Mormon mentions a city along Lehi's path where Ishmael was buried. It was called Nahom. In the late seventies a town was unearthed along the exact path mapped out in the Book of Mormon that bore the name NHM. In ancient Semitic languages there were no vowels. This town was buried in the earth for centuries, and it was discovered in the exact place in the Arabian peninsula that a twenty-one year old farm boy in New York wrote that it would be. It doesn't get much more "hard" than that. You're up. High School smarts won't help you here.

Reactions: FFH
I watched 15 pages of Victor growing more and more frustrated because the invitation to answer questions about LDS became a debate. Good try, Victor. Then I quit reading as I too was becoming frustrated, so if my question came up already I apologize. Though because of his experience, I am reluctant to ask this simple question of genuine curiosity:

What is the LDS stance on non-LDS members and salvation? Do you have to be Mormon to get into heaven? What about other Christians? Jews? Muslims? Non-Abrahamic faiths?