• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

FFH

Veteran Member
dan said:
The Book of Mormon mentions a city along Lehi's path where Ishmael was buried. It was called Nahom. In the late seventies a town was unearthed along the exact path mapped out in the Book of Mormon that bore the name NHM. In ancient Semitic languages there were no vowels. This town was buried in the earth for centuries, and it was discovered in the exact place in the Arabian peninsula that a twenty-one year old farm boy in New York wrote that it would be.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This is great stuff. I just googled Nahom and this seemed to be a great study done on this. I am sure you have seen it but maybe others haven't, like me, so I will post a link.

Nahom/NHM

Brigham Young University, Department of Ancient Studies

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Ibrahim Al-Amin said:
I watched 15 pages of Victor growing more and more frustrated because the invitation to answer questions about LDS became a debate. Good try, Victor. Then I quit reading as I too was becoming frustrated, so if my question came up already I apologize. Though because of his experience, I am reluctant to ask this simple question of genuine curiosity:

What is the LDS stance on non-LDS members and salvation? Do you have to be Mormon to get into heaven? What about other Christians? Jews? Muslims? Non-Abrahamic faiths?
Everybody will have a chance to earn salvation. :D God knew that not everybody would have the opportunity to hear the Gospel on the Earth. If someone dies w/o the knowledge of the truth they will have an opportunity, once they die, to be taught and accept or deny the Gospel. I think this is a better plan than some denominations preaching hellfire if you don't believe in thier religion.

jonny

Ibrahim Al-Amin said:
What is the LDS stance on non-LDS members and salvation? Do you have to be Mormon to get into heaven? What about other Christians? Jews? Muslims? Non-Abrahamic faiths?
What happens after death according to LDS beliefs is more complicated than heaven vs. hell.

When we die, we will spend time waiting for the resurrection as spirits. This is referred to as the Spirit World. Here, anyone who has not accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ in mortal life, will have a chance to hear the message and either accept him or reject him. For those who accept the gospel, they will receive all the ordinances necessary for salvation through the work that is done in LDS temples (you may have heard of baptisms for the dead).

Eventually we will all stand before Christ to be judged for what we have accomplished throughout our life. Everyone will be resurrected and given a "degree of glory," except a small group called the Sons of Perdition. These are people who had a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ and then rejected him and fought against him. They will end up spending eternity with Satan. Most LDS members believe that having a perfect knowledge requires some sort of personal vision of Christ; therefore, very few people will actually end up in perdition.

The three degrees are glory, which are associated with the resurrection, are compared to the sun, the moon, and the stars. You do not need to be Mormon (expecially since "Mormon" is an earthly term, not an eternal term) to receive one of these degrees. Everyone, regardless of religion in this life, will be resurrected and receive a portion of God's glory. It doesn't matter if you are Christian, Jew, Muslim, Athiest, Buddist, or Hindu. You're still a child of God.

Each degree of glory has a "kingdom" associated with it. We refer to them as the Celestial, Terrestrial, and Telestial Kingdoms. The Celestial Kingdom is the highest of the three. Those who enter into this degree of glory will receive "all that the father hath" and will become like God. They will also remain a family unit for eternity. Those in the celestial kingdom are they who accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ, lived according to this gospel, and made and kept all the necessary covenants with God.

So, in answer to your question, salvation is a gift given to all, regardless of religion in this life. The degree of this salvation is dependent the degree of commitment to Christ. You do not need to be Mormon to go to heaven and members of other religions will be judged according to the amount of knowledge they had in this life.

I hope that answers your questions. Let me know if something isn't clear.

A

angellous_evangellous

I like this thread.

I didn't make it through all 25 pages, so if the answer to my question is already posted, please direct me to it...

How much can LDS tell me about the covanents that are made in the temple?

jonny

angellous_evangellous said:
I like this thread.

I didn't make it through all 25 pages, so if the answer to my question is already posted, please direct me to it...

How much can LDS tell me about the covanents that are made in the temple?
Most of the time, members are reluctant to discuss the temple covenants because they are very sacred and spiritual and we do not want them to be mocked. I feel comfortable posting quotes made by general authorities of the LDS church that would answer your question:

Elder James E. Talmage said about the covenants we make in the endowment:

“The ordinances of the endowment embody certain obligations on the part of the individual, such as covenant and promise to observe the law of strict virtue and chastity, to be charitable, benevolent, tolerant and pure; to devote both talent and material means to the spread of truth and the uplifting of the race; to maintain devotion to the cause of truth; and to seek in every way to contribute to the great preparation that the earth may be made ready to receive her King,—the Lord Jesus Christ. With the taking of each covenant and the assuming of each obligation a promised blessing is pronounced, contingent upon the faithful observance of the conditions” (The House of the Lord, rev. ed. [1976], 84).

As you can see, we covenant to do things that we should be doing anyway. Most of the covenants deal with our devotion to the gospel and keeping the commandments as are found in the scriptures. Most of the other covenants that are not above are covenants not to discuss the specifics of the ordinances outside the temple.

dan

I can add to that that there are no covenants made that cannot be found in the Bible. There is nothing strange or uncomfortable.

illyena

I am LDS but I have a question for more of the LDS community.My understanding of polygamy is that God said we should because it was nessecary at the time, then when it was no longer nessecary or prudent that it was discontinued as a practice. But the principal is still a valid principal, and still something that god may reenact any time that he sees it as nessecary. God has nothing against polygamy but since it is a covenant then it is to be obeyed ONLY under his strict guidence and command. am I barking up the right tree? this is my inturpretation after many months of concern/curiosity on the subject and not really understanding it very well.

Squirt

illyena said:
I am LDS but I have a question for more of the LDS community.My understanding of polygamy is that God said we should because it was nessecary at the time, then when it was no longer nessecary or prudent that it was discontinued as a practice. But the principal is still a valid principal, and still something that god may reenact any time that he sees it as nessecary. God has nothing against polygamy but since it is a covenant then it is to be obeyed ONLY under his strict guidence and command. am I barking up the right tree? this is my inturpretation after many months of concern/curiosity on the subject and not really understanding it very well.
Hi, illyena!

Welcome to the forum. I think you have a pretty good understanding of this doctrine. At least it corresponds to mine pretty closely.

Squirt

mormonman said:
If someone dies w/o the knowledge of the truth they will have an opportunity, once they die, to be taught and accept or deny the Gospel. I think this is a better plan than some denominations preaching hellfire if you don't believe in thier religion.

Wow. I agree. Thanks for posting.

jonny said:
So, in answer to your question, salvation is a gift given to all, regardless of religion in this life. The degree of this salvation is dependent the degree of commitment to Christ. You do not need to be Mormon to go to heaven and members of other religions will be judged according to the amount of knowledge they had in this life.

Great stuff! Thanks for posting!

turk179

I smell something....
nutshell said:
No takers?

Perhaps this thread is worn out. :)
I'll bite. Do the members feel that LDS faith is questioned more on this forum than in every day life?

Squirt

turk179 said:
I'll bite. Do the members feel that LDS faith is questioned more on this forum than in every day life?
This question is pretty subjective, so I can only give you my own perspective. I think that, by an large, the members of this forum are pretty tolerant and respectful of our beliefs. Perhaps that is because it is comprised of people from all faiths and not just Christians. Strangely, other Christians tend to be the most hostile -- particularly some of the more conservative right-wing denominations. That strikes me as odd because we LDS are a pretty conservative bunch ourselves. Our Church is a source of curiousity to a lot of people, though. We have some beliefs which, when seen in isolation from the overall picture, seem pretty strange to people. But when the are put into the proper perspective and into the context of our entire belief system, they make good sense.

nutshell

turk179 said:

Good question. I think we are questioned more on this forum, but that's because of the nature of the forum itself. I don't typically have multiple religious discussions with multiple live people every day like I do here.

There are many opinions among the people in real life, just like the RF. Some are hostile, others are accepting, and some want to know more.

FYI
My mom's ultra-conservative, Evangelical Christian, Mormonism is non-sense, friend recently told her more schools needed to by conservative "like that Christian school Brigham Young University." It was the first time she acknowledge the LDS may be Christian. :)

Squirt

nutshell said:
Good question. I think we are questioned more on this forum, but that's because of the nature of the forum itself. I don't typically have multiple religious discussions with multiple live people every day like I do here.
I agree. I was thinking along a different line than you were. I almost never get into religious discussions with people outside of forums like this one. I'd like to, but only if the other person initiated the conversation. If a Latter-day Saint initiates a conversation on religion, it is always seen by the other party as an attempt to convert. Sad, but true.

FYI My mom's ultra-conservative, Evangelical Christian, Mormonism is non-sense, friend recently told her more schools needed to by conservative "like that Christian school Brigham Young University." It was the first time she acknowledge the LDS may be Christian. :)
Wow, I didn't realize that. That must be pretty hard for you. I know it would be for me.

jonny

turk179 said:

I live in Utah right now, so my faith isn't really ever questioned in every day life. When I lived in Washington I didn't feel it was that bad either because people are pretty open minded and tolerant there - to your face anyway. The only friends who I ever really had continuous difficulties with growing up were from the non-denomonational church and the baptist church. Both of these churches had drilled anti-Mormon propoganda into their members heads as part of the Mormon outreach. There were other periods in my life when my faith was questioned, but it wasn't often. I don't really go around discussing religion 24/7. If I did, it might be a different story.

I guess that makes the answer: Yes, I do feel that it is questioned more here than in my every day life.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
I don't understand how one of the most essential teachings of the Holy Scriptures teaches that God is a Spirit ,is immortal and invisible, eternal.

Jhn 4:24 — God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.
2Cr 3:17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty
1Ti 1:17Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, [be] honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Yet the LDS teach God is flesh,bone
  1. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.) <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man&#8217;s..." (D&C 130:22).
  2. God is in the form of a man, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.)
How confusing also are the contridictions between these 2 LDS sources of reference in these related subjects?
The Book of Mormon
Mormon Doctrine
There is only one God
Mosiah 15:1,5; Alma 11:28; 2 Nephi 31:21
Mormonism teaches there are many gods.
Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 5
The Trinity is one God
Alma 11:44; Mosiah 15:5; 2 Nephi 31:21
The Trinity is three separate gods.
James Talmage, Articles of Faith, p. 35. 1985.
God is unchanging
Mormon 9:9,19; Moroni 8:18; Alma 41:8; 3 Nephi 24:6
God is increasing in knowledge.
Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 120.
God is spirit
Alma 18:24,28; 22:9,11
God has the form of a man.
Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.
Eternal hell
Jacob 3:11; 6:10; 2 Nephi 19:16; 28:21-23.
Hell is not eternal.
James Talmage, Articles of Faith, p. 55.
Polygamy condemned
Jacob 1:15; 2:23,24,27,31;3:5; Mosiah 11:2,4; Ether 10:5,7
Polygamy was taught and practiced.
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 266