• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

Bishka

Veteran Member
roli said:
I don't understand how one of the most essential teachings of the Holy Scriptures teaches that God is a Spirit ,is immortal and invisible, eternal.

Jhn 4:24 — God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.
2Cr 3:17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty
1Ti 1:17Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, [be] honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Yet the LDS teach God is flesh,bone
  1. <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">God used to be a man on another planet, Mormon Doctrine, p. 321. Joseph Smith, Times and Seasons, Vol 5, pp. 613-614; Orson Pratt, Journal of Discourses, Vol 2, p. 345, Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, vol. 7, p. 333.) <LI style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">"The Father has a body of flesh and bones as tangible as man’s..." (D&C 130:22).
  2. God is in the form of a man, (Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.)
How confusing also are the contridictions between these 2 LDS sources of reference in these related subjects?
The Book of Mormon
Mormon Doctrine
There is only one God
Mosiah 15:1,5; Alma 11:28; 2 Nephi 31:21
Mormonism teaches there are many gods.
Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 5
The Trinity is one God
Alma 11:44; Mosiah 15:5; 2 Nephi 31:21
The Trinity is three separate gods.
James Talmage, Articles of Faith, p. 35. 1985.
God is unchanging
Mormon 9:9,19; Moroni 8:18; Alma 41:8; 3 Nephi 24:6
God is increasing in knowledge.
Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 120.
God is spirit
Alma 18:24,28; 22:9,11
God has the form of a man.
Joseph Smith, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3.
Eternal hell
Jacob 3:11; 6:10; 2 Nephi 19:16; 28:21-23.
Hell is not eternal.
James Talmage, Articles of Faith, p. 55.
Polygamy condemned
Jacob 1:15; 2:23,24,27,31;3:5; Mosiah 11:2,4; Ether 10:5,7
Polygamy was taught and practiced.
Brigham Young, Journal of Discourses, Vol. 3, p. 266
For future reference, and you probably allready know, We don't believe in the Trinity.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
beckysoup61 said:
For future reference, and you probably allready know, We don't believe in the Trinity.[/quote

I did not ask that particular question , regarding the trinity.

1st Question I did however ask," how are we both christians when your doctrine says God is flesh and bone and was exalted to godhood D&D 130:22
and the scriptures clearly states:
Jhn 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.
2Cr 3:17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty.
1Ti 1:17Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, [be] honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Who therefore is the true christian, with 2 opposing doctrines they both can't be right as they contirdict one another and God himself.

I think this is one of the primary discrepancies between the 2 groups and therefore how can we go beyond this point if Christians and LDS have such differnt views!

I know there are many differences between the LDS writings and the Holy Scriptures and that alone brings up many discrepancies as to who is the true christian according to God .

2nd Question But if God is one and we the body are unified with Christ through his spirit"how is it possible we can have such differences in doctrine?.
God is not the author of confusion,

1Cr 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Eph 4:4There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We either are one in Christ or divided,Jesus says in the gospels:
Mat 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Squirt

roli said:
1st Question I did however ask," how are we both christians when your doctrine says God is flesh and bone and was exalted to godhood D&D 130:22
and the scriptures clearly states:
Jhn 4:24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.
2Cr 3:17Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord [is], there [is] liberty.

First of all, D&C 130:22 says absolutely nothing about God being "exalted to godhood." Not one word. Please try to refrain from misquoting our scriptures.

We, too, believe that God is spirit. The difference between our belief and yours is that we believe Him to be a spirit with a body and you believe Him to be a spirit without a body. The Bible doesn't actually say one way or the other, so our doctrine is no less Biblical than yours. We must worship Him in spirit and in truth because that it the only way it is possible for us to worship Him -- spirit to Spirit.

Furthermore, the word "invisible" does not mean "without substance." It simply means "unseen." God is invisible to us because He choses not to show Himself to us, not because He has no substance.

Who therefore is the true christian, with 2 opposing doctrines they both can't be right as they contirdict one another and God himself.
Since when does the definition of a "true Christian" have anything at all to do with identical interpretations of various passages of scripture. There are thousands of Christian denominations in the world today. Are the only "true Christians" the ones who believe exactly as you do with respect to every point of doctrine?

I think this is one of the primary discrepancies between the 2 groups and therefore how can we go beyond this point if Christians and LDS have such differnt views!
I don't know. How can Baptists and Catholics both be Christians?

I know there are many differences between the LDS writings and the Holy Scriptures and that alone brings up many discrepancies as to who is the true christian according to God.

2nd Question But if God is one and we the body are unified with Christ through his spirit"how is it possible we can have such differences in doctrine?.
God is not the author of confusion,

1Cr 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Eph 4:4There is] one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

We either are one in Christ or divided,Jesus says in the gospels:
Mat 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
Of course God is not the author of confusion. But take the Latter-day Saints out of the picture entirely, and you still have an incredibly divided house. You have Christians who believe we are saved by grace through faith alone and Christians who believe are saved by grace through a combination of faith and works. You have Christians who believe that once we are saved we are always saved, others who believe that it is possible to lose one's salvation through disobedience and loss of faith, and still others who believe we aren't saved unless we endure to the end. Some Christians baptize infants, others don't. Some believe that the Lord's Supper is symbolic of His body and blood, while others believe the bread and wine are literally transformed into His body and blood.

I could go on and on, but I'll assume you get the point. Christians were divided in their beliefs long before we ever came on the scene. You can draw the line between who's a Christian and who isn't wherever you want, but that's not going to change a darn thing as far as God is concerned. If you don't think Mormons are Christians, that's your prerogative. But in the end, your opinion isn't really going to matter.

jonny

Just so everyone knows where you're getting your information, I'd like to include the source of the information that you posted above. It can be found at the URL www.carm.org/lds/bom_look.ht. CARM is also known as the Christian Apologitics and Research Ministry. It has extensive resources to assist its visitors with deciding that Mormonism isn't Christian.

jonny

roli said:
How are we both christians when your doctrine says God is flesh and bone and was exalted to godhood
We're both Christians because I say I'm a Christian and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about it. I assume you would have a similar response if someone felt that you were not Christian. Who cares! Let God decide. I have a feeling he isn't much into grouping people under stupid titles anyway. We both follow and believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Some might follow an incomplete gospel and I follow a restoration of the fulness of the Gospel of Christ, but we can all still be friends.

Anyway, as for your totally unrelated part of the question, last time anyone saw Christ in your Bible he had a body of flesh and bones, didn't he?

roli said:
But if God is one and we the body are unified with Christ through his spirit"how is it possible we can have such differences in doctrine?
Why the differences? That's easy. The early church got rid of prophets and revelation. The church based its doctrine on the philosophies of men and threw in some scriptures to support them. Any scriptures that didn't mesh with these philosophies were thrown out as being heretical. Instead of appealing to God for revelation and scripture, the church had council after council where they debated what the true doctrine was. Read through the Great Apostasy thread that Dan has been doing if you want more details on what led to the church of Christ splitting into the various fractions. I can sum it up in one sentence: Reliance on men rather than reliance on God.

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
You know what, the more I read some of the "Christians" that post on here, telling the LDS members that we're not Christian no matter what we say, the more I don't want to be included in your exclusive club of Christianity. I follow Christ. I know that He is the Son of God. I try my best to be meek, humble, a peacemaker, and all of the doctrine that Christ taught. I know that Christ atoned for our sins. If this excludes me from the Catholic/Protestant Christianity Club, so be it.

silvermoon383

No, we don't belive that we can become a God (big G). We believe that we can attain all that God has and become all that He is (essentially becoming a god (little g).

Even then, God will still be God to us. That relationship will never change.

nutshell

thomas89 said:
Do the Mormons believe that it is possible to become a God?

We believe that we can become like God. That does not mean we will ever be His equal. He is our Creator and He provided a way for us to return to Him again. We will forever be in his debt and we will forever worship him.

We believe that we are the children of God. Romans 8:17 teaches, "And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ, if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together."

If we are heirs than that means, IMO, that we can receive all that God has.

I like to think of it this way. A puppy grows up to be a dog. A kitten grows up to be a cat. A chick grows up to be a chicken. What will the children of God grow up to be?

I hope this answers your question.

Squirt

thomas89 said:
What then distinguishes between God, and a man who has become as God is?
C.S. Lewis said it much better than I could ever hope to:

"The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) He own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful: but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

barnabus

I once read Mormon theology teaches that god used to be a man on another planet, that he became a god by following the laws and ordinances of that god on that world, and that he brought one of his wives to this world with whom he produces spirit children who then inhabit human bodies at birth. The first spirit child to be born was Jesus. Second was Satan, and then we all followed. Is this true or not? Explain.

Squirt

barnabus said:
I once read Mormon theology teaches that god used to be a man on another planet, that he became a god by following the laws and ordinances of that god on that world, and that he brought one of his wives to this world with whom he produces spirit children who then inhabit human bodies at birth. The first spirit child to be born was Jesus. Second was Satan, and then we all followed. Is this true or not? Explain.
There is no official LDS doctrine that speaks of God's beginnings. We believe that all of God's children had a pre-mortal existence, that we lived in His presence prior to coming to earth. Romans 8:29 refers to Jesus Christ as "the firstborn among many brethren." Since He obviously wasn't the first of God's children to be born on this earth, His status as "firstborn" obviously refers to His spirit state. Acts 17:28 and Hebrews 12:9 respectively, explain that we are all not only God's creations, but His own "offspring," and that He is, in fact, the "father of [our] spirits." We are all sons and daughters of God. Jesus Christ has a unique place among all of God's children, however, because He is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. He was with His Father in the beginning and created worlds without number under His Father's direction. Satan (known pre-mortally as Lucifer) was at one time one of God's highly favored spirit offspring. However, when he rebelled against God and was cast out of Heaven, he forfeited the right to ever be known as a son of God again.

barnabus

If the Book of Mormon is true, why do Indians fail to turn white when they become Mormons? (2 Nephi 30:6, prior to the 1981 revision). Explain, if you will.

barnabus

If Moroni devoutly practiced the Mormon Gospel, why is he an angel now rather than a God? (Doc. & Cov. 132:17,37) Explain, if you will.

barnabus

If Moroni devoutly practiced the Mormon Gospel, why is he an angel now rather than a God? (Doc. & Cov. 132:17,37) Explain, if you will.

SoyLeche

meh...
barnabus said:
Because the Final Judgement hasn't happened yet. That was easy.

SoyLeche

meh...
barnabus said:
If the Book of Mormon is true, why do Indians fail to turn white when they become Mormons? (2 Nephi 30:6, prior to the 1981 revision). Explain, if you will.
Even if that verse meant what you are wanting it to mean, it says nothing about a change happening when someone converts. It says specifically that it will happen after a few ("not many" is the words that it uses) generations. The LARGE majority of the "Lamanites" that are members of the church are converts. There aren't a whole lot of 3rd and 4th generation Mormons in Latin America - so we are still waiting for the full fulfillment of the prophecies concerning them.

That said, while many have hypothesised that skin color has something to do with it, that isn't necesarily the case.

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Hi nutshell!

I have a question, though it's not strictly about LDS beliefs.

Could you please explain to me the function of the Relief Society? I've never really had it explained in detail, and I'm curious! :)