• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What do you want to know about LDS beliefs?

jonny

Revasser said:
Hi nutshell!

I have a question, though it's not strictly about LDS beliefs.

Could you please explain to me the function of the Relief Society? I've never really had it explained in detail, and I'm curious! :)
I'm not Nutshell, but I'll give you my answer. The Relief Society is the women's organization in the LDS church. It has a president who advises the Bishop on issues related to the women in the church. It's motto is "Charity Never Faileth"

The Relief Society has its roots in the 1840s, but first became what it is today in the 1850s and 60s when the women of the LDS church began organizing themselves in "societies" to provide "relief" to Indians. They were helping to make clothing and bedding for nearby Indians to improve the relationship between the church and Utah's former inhabitants. Later, it became a church-wide organization charged with providing relief for the needy families in the ward.

The Relief Society has a great influence on communities and ward members. This organization made the push which resulted in women in Utah being the first in the country with the right to vote and hold public office. The history goes on and on as it has grown into the largest women's organization in the world. If you'd like to read about it I would recommend this article:
http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/basic/organization/Relief_Society_EOM.htm

This is its statement of purpose:

we.gif

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]are beloved spirit daughters of God, [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] and our lives have meaning, purpose, and direction.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] As a worldwide sisterhood, we are united in our devotion[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] to Jesus Christ, our Savior and Exemplar.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] We are women of faith, virtue, vision, and charity who:[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Increase our testimonies of Jesus Christ [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] through prayer and scripture study.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Seek spiritual strength by following the[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] promptings of the Holy Ghost.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Dedicate ourselves to strengthening[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] marriages, families, and homes.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Find nobility in motherhood[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] and joy in womanhood.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Delight in service and good works.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Love life and learning.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Stand for truth and righteousness.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Sustain the priesthood [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] as the authority of God on earth.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] Rejoice in the blessings of the temple, [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] understand our divine destiny, [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif] and strive for exaltation.
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,160-1-12-1,00.html
[/FONT]​

nutshell

Revasser said:
Hi nutshell!

I have a question, though it's not strictly about LDS beliefs.

Could you please explain to me the function of the Relief Society? I've never really had it explained in detail, and I'm curious! :)

Good question. Someone else could probably give you a better history of the Relief Society (how it was organized, etc.), but I'll try to let you know their function.

Basically, the Relief Society has two functions:

1. It provides "relief" (hence the name) to the members of a congregation that need assistance. For example, if someone loses a loved one, the Relief Society is there providing meals and offering support.

2. The Relief Society is made up of all the women in a congregation and they provide physical, spiritual, and emotional support to each other. One way this is accomplished is through Visiting Teaching. Almost every woman in the Relief Society is assigned to visit another woman each month and provide a spiritual lesson. This is done in pairs (just like everything else we seem to do :)).

That's a real basic answer.

nutshell

Jonny's answer is a lot better than mine.

It also reminded me of a story Dr. Laura told on the air not so long ago. Dr. Laura was working with a charity to collect 500 quilts for needy children. The charity fell through last minute and Dr. Laura pleaded no the radio for someone to help. She immediatly got a call from the LDS church saying - we've got the quilts, where do you want them? This activity may have been organized through the Relief Society.

Dr. Laura went on to say she visited Salt Lake to thank the Church and was taken on a tour of our humanitarian facilities. She said the LDS Church has the best welfare system in the universe. Hands down. What she especially likes about it is that people work for what they get. For example, if my family needs food, then we'll go to a storehouse and work a certain number of hours, canning and preparing food. This way we earn what we get.

Kind of got sidetracked, but talking about the Relief Society reminded me of this other stuff.

jonny

nutshell said:
Good question. Someone else could probably give you a better history of the Relief Society (how it was organized, etc.), but I'll try to let you know their function.

Basically, the Relief Society has two functions:

1. It provides "relief" (hence the name) to the members of a congregation that need assistance. For example, if someone loses a loved one, the Relief Society is there providing meals and offering support.

2. The Relief Society is made up of all the women in a congregation and they provide physical, spiritual, and emotional support to each other. One way this is accomplished is through Visiting Teaching. Almost every woman in the Relief Society is assigned to visit another woman each month and provide a spiritual lesson. This is done in pairs (just like everything else we seem to do :)).

That's a real basic answer.
The day my grandma died my grandpa's home was flooded with food for all the relatives coming into town. The relief society provided enough food for the entire extended family (about 30 grandchildren) for almost a week. They also provided the food for the funeral dinner and a special family meeting. A month later, my grandfather is still recieving random casseroles on his doorstep.

They have also assisted my family every time my mom has been sick or had a child.

The president of the Relief Society meets with the bishop regularly and advises him on the distribution of food and money to needy families in the ward after meeting with the family. These needs are usually discovered through the visiting teachers, which nutshell mentioned. Visiting Teachers are supposed to visit each women in the ward monthly to ensure that everyone is doing ok. The bishop will give money to pay bills if needed, or send them to the bishop's storehouse where they can pick up any food that the family needs to survive when going through financial difficulties.

jonny

I think they make a lot of quilts. I feel like my mom is constantly making quilts and blankets for the relief society.

jonny

thomas89 said:
What then distinguishes between God, and a man who has become as God is?

LDS members believe that the priesthood is the authority to act in God's name. Priesthood authority is given to all male members of the church. Because we are imperfect and human we are unable to exercise the priesthood perfectly. My belief is that the ability for God to exercise his power perfectly is what distinguishes us from him. When we are perfected through Christ, we will be able to exercise God's power perfectly. In that sense, we have become "like God."

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
There's a LDS church right down the rode from me...I'm thinking that I need to go one Sunday just to see what it's like.

I've probably asked this before but am I going to feel completely out of place if I do this?

Do you think people would be offended to see a Pentecostal at the service...a Pentecostal who is just curious? Not that you could tell by looking at me or anything.:D

Also...can I obtain a copy of the Book of Mormon without a visitation?

SoyLeche

meh...
dawny0826 said:
There's a LDS church right down the rode from me...I'm thinking that I need to go one Sunday just to see what it's like.

I've probably asked this before but am I going to feel completely out of place if I do this?

Do you think people would be offended to see a Pentecostal at the service...a Pentecostal who is just curious? Not that you could tell by looking at me or anything.:D

Go for it. You won't stand out - other than the fact that you won't be recognized, so you'll probably have a lot of people introduce themselves. If you were to ask for a Book of Mormon and specifically say that you didn't want a visit from the missionaries, I'm sure you'd get what you asked for. Be aware, though, that the missionaries are going to want to come visit, so if you really don't want them to, just be firm about it :)

Squirt

dawny0826 said:

I don't think you'd feel out of place at all. If you go, though, it would probably be good to know what to expect.

1. Wear a dress or a skirt and blouse. Nobody will say a word about it if you were to wear pants, but you would probably be the only woman dressed that way, and you might be self-conscious being dressed differently.

2. Normally, the first Sunday of every month is what we call "Fast and Testimony Meeting." We fast for two meals prior to the service and donate the money that would have gone for food to a fund to support those who have less. That meeting is different that the regular "Sacrament Meetings" we have on the other three Sundays of the month. A large portion of the meeting is devoted to allowing the members of the congregation stand and bear testimony to the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ and to publicly express gratitude for their blessings. You would, of course, be welcome to attend a Fast and Testimony Meeting. But if you do, just realize that what you see is representative only of what our worship services are like one Sunday per month.

3. You would probably notice that our Sacrament Meetings are pretty much opposite to a Pentacostal worship service in that our hymns are pretty subdued, there are no spontaneous expressions of faith ("Praise Jesus!", etc.) from the congregation, etc.

4. Sunday Services are actually three hours in length. Sacrament Meetings last an hour and ten minutes. Sunday School (adults and children in separate classes) lasts forty minutes and Relief Society (for the women) and Priesthood Meeting (for the men) lasts fifty minutes. There is a ten-minute break between each of these sessions and they may come in any order. So, unless you want to attend all three, which you would be welcome to do, you might want to check the schedule before you go. (I think you'd probably really enjoy Relief Society.)

Heavens no! They have visitors all the time. You will probably be greeted by someone who may ask if you are a new member or just an "investigator." Don't let the word "investigator" throw you. That's what you are. It's a weird way of putting it, in my opinion, but it just means that you are interesting in learning what our services are like and what we believe. If they offer to send missionaries to visit you, simply say, "No thanks," if that's the case. They won't pressure you.

I'd be happy to get you one, but I'd need your address. If you'd like me to do that, just PM me.

Squirt

Revasser

Terrible Dancer
Thanks guys! That was great. One of my friends mentioned that she was going to be part of the "Relief Society" and I had no idea what she meant, and she didn't have time to explain it to me.

It's nice to show she'll be part of something worthwhile. And now I can astound her with my uncanny knowledge :D

barnabus

Galatians 1:8"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

With this in mind, how can the Book of Mormon be scripture?

Popeyesays

barnabus said:
Galatians 1:8"But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed."

I won't even touch authenticity of the BoM, but I would point out that the BoM is "Another Gospel of Jesus, the Christ" And it was an angel that delivers it to Joseph Smith.

So, it ought to be obviously apparent that the BoM IS IN FACT preaching the same Gospel of Christ. At least it purports to be doing so. You can quibble with authenticity, but it SAYS it is the same Gospel.

jonny

barnabus said:

The Book of Mormon teaches the same Gospel of Jesus Christ that you find in the Bible. Also, you do realize that "the Bible" did not exist when Paul wrote his letters.

You may be tempted now to begin listing many of the differences in beliefs between the Mormons and "Bible-believing Christians." Let me save you the trouble. Most of what you would probably list is not found in the Book of Mormon.

You might be interested in this article:
http://www.centerplace.org/library/bofm/baptistversionofbofm.htm

Deut 13:1

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but what happens when there are differences in events between book of mormon and the TNK. Which is given more validity??

ANd is mormonism more of a personal thing or group led?

barnabus

There is no official LDS doctrine that speaks of God's beginnings.

Why then is it written-

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345 )

That God the Father had a Father, (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.)

That God resides near a star called Kolob, (Pearl of Great Price, pages 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428.)

"Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones." (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38)

Explanations, anyone?

jonny

barnabus said:
Why then is it written-

"God himself was once as we are now, and is an exalted man, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens!!! . . . We have imagined that God was God from all eternity. I will refute that idea and take away the veil, so that you may see" (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 345 )

That God the Father had a Father, (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, vol. 6, p. 476; Heber C. Kimball, Journal of Discourses, vol. 5, p. 19; Milton Hunter, First Council of the Seventy, Gospel through the Ages, p. 104-105.)

That God resides near a star called Kolob, (Pearl of Great Price, pages 34-35; Mormon Doctrine, p. 428.)

"Therefore we know that both the Father and the Son are in form and stature perfect men; each of them possesses a tangible body . . . of flesh and bones." (Articles of Faith, by James Talmage, p. 38)

Explanations, anyone?
Only one of the sources you listed are official LDS doctrine. The other comments may be true, but they have not been cannonized as scripture. And it has nothing to do with God's beginning, only location. Kolob isn't really an emphasis in LDS doctrine, but if you'd like to learn more about it, this Wikipedia article is pretty good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolob. If you read that you'll know more than 99.99999% of the members of the LDS church do about the subject.

We have four cannonized books of scripture: Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price.

Squirt

barnabus said:

Easily. The Book of Mormon teaches the same gospel as was preached in ancient times, not a different one.

Squirt

barnabus said:
If the Book of Mormon is true, why do Indians fail to turn white when they become Mormons? (2 Nephi 30:6, prior to the 1981 revision). Explain, if you will.
There is nowhere in the Book of Mormon where we are taught that the skin color of the American Indians will change if they convert. I'm afraid there is nothing to explain.