• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from you?

I said that God wants nothing from us, but on second thought I think God wants our love...
The reason God wants our love is not because God needs our love, but because it is beneficial for us to love God.
Don't ask me why it is beneficial, because I haven't figured that out yet. I am only going by what scriptures say.
I think have have the answer youre looking for on why it's beneficial to love God.....
"This is what the love of God means-that we observe His commandments"- 1John 5:3

What happens when we observe His commandments(obey Him)?
That is where the benefits start....
"If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea."-Isa 48:18

What do you think the latter half of this Isaiah verse meand?

Colt

OK. God creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

If you are an atheist, speculate. If God really exists and creates the universe and God creates you. What does God want from you?

Before you just give a quick answer, consider a Being capable of creating the universe and you has to be very very smart. Consider High Intellect with your answers. Make God's answer High Intellect.
God is my Father and wants to raise me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think have have the answer you're looking for on why it's beneficial to love God.....
"This is what the love of God means-that we observe His commandments"- 1John 5:3
According to my religion, we are to observe God's commandments out of our love for God.

“The Tongue of My power hath, from the heaven of My omnipotent glory, addressed to My creation these words: ‘Observe My commandments, for the love of My beauty.’ Happy is the lover that hath inhaled the divine fragrance of his Best-Beloved from these words, laden with the perfume of a grace which no tongue can describe. By My life! He who hath drunk the choice wine of fairness from the hands of My bountiful favour, will circle around My commandments that shine above the Dayspring of My creation.​
Think not that We have revealed unto you a mere code of laws. Nay, rather, We have unsealed the choice Wine with the fingers of might and power.”​
What happens when we observe His commandments(obey Him)?
That is where the benefits start....
"If only you would pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river And your righteousness like the waves of the sea."-Isa 48:18

What do you think the latter half of this Isaiah verse means?
I think it means that if we obeyed God's laws perfect peace and righteousness would cover the earth, like the waves of the sea cover the oceans.

According to my religion, we are to observe God's commandments out of our love for God.

“The Tongue of My power hath, from the heaven of My omnipotent glory, addressed to My creation these words: ‘Observe My commandments, for the love of My beauty.’ Happy is the lover that hath inhaled the divine fragrance of his Best-Beloved from these words, laden with the perfume of a grace which no tongue can describe. By My life! He who hath drunk the choice wine of fairness from the hands of My bountiful favour, will circle around My commandments that shine above the Dayspring of My creation.​
Think not that We have revealed unto you a mere code of laws. Nay, rather, We have unsealed the choice Wine with the fingers of might and power.”​

I think it means that if we obeyed God's laws perfect peace and righteousness would cover the earth, like the waves of the sea cover the oceans.
Thats one way to see it. Imagine standing in a current of a river or standing in the waves at the beach. These forces keep flowing without let up. So too, we can have those things if we obey.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thats one way to see it. Imagine standing in a current of a river or standing in the waves at the beach. These forces keep flowing without let up. So too, we can have those things if we obey.
I guess what you are saying is that we can have perfect peace if we obey God's commandments. If so, I agree.

I guess what you are saying is that we can have perfect peace if we obey God's commandments. If so, I agree.
Yes. Peace is a fruitage of Gods spirit.
"On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith" Gal 5:23
The peace God gives is something that isnt easily stripped away. As with many in the world where peace is temporary and fleeting.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes. Peace is a fruitage of Gods spirit.
"On the other hand, the fruitage of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith" Gal 5:23
The peace God gives is something that isnt easily stripped away. As with many in the world where peace is temporary and fleeting.
That made me think of these verses, which are some of my favorite verses.

John 12:24-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

That made me think of these verses, which are some of my favorite verses.

John 12:24-26 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
That is one reason peace is fleeting to the world, many look for it in riches.