• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from you?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That depends on who is pushing the agenda. "My god is great and created everything except the bad stuff i don't like" makes it a question for the theists making the claim.
But God did not create diseases, they evolved over the course of time.
Let's blame God for what He actually did, not what He did not do. I'm game. ;)
Science has nothing to say on the matter of gods, thought they are pretty successful at reducing and in some cases eradicating disease
But science has something to say on the origin of disease. For example:

When did human disease start?

Epidemics caused by viruses began when human behaviour changed during the Neolithic period, around 12,000 years ago, when humans developed more densely populated agricultural communities. This allowed viruses to spread rapidly and subsequently to become endemic.

Social history of viruses - Wikipedia​

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I've asked before and no doubt I'll ask again, how do you know what your god wants?
The only way we can know anything about God, from scripture, coupled with logic.
Its almost as though he/she/it wants precisely what you want him to want.
No, I don't want God to want anything.
God does have desires for humans, but God does not want anything from humans for Himself, since God has no needs of His own.
Only humans and animals have needs.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Let's blame God for what He actually did, not what He did not do. I'm game

Yes i know disease evolved, no god involved. What i am questioning is "god created everything.. oh, except the stuff i don't like" usually by people who do not believe in evolution so they cannot claim disease evolved.

But science has something to say on the origin of disease. For example

As i said, i am questioning the "god did everything except the stuff I don't like" brigade.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The only way we can know anything about God, from scripture, coupled with logic.

No, I don't want God to want anything.
God does have desires for humans, but God does not want anything from humans for Himself, since God has no needs of His own.
Only humans and animals have needs.

And you know this how...

Ahh forget it, im only going to get the same rhetoric as previously

ppp

God wants nothing from us, not even twenty bucks.
If your god were to exist, that would be immpossible. To intentionally interact with something, even indirectly, is to want something of that thing. Even if that thing is a mammal.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It honestly, for me, shows it could be any one of three things:

1. That God is all-knowing, but not "good" (allows such a high level of dysfunction in the system he created).

2. That God may have good intentions, but is not "all-powerful" (things get out of his control).

3. Whether or not God is real, the stories are "made up".
I am voting for #3.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You said there is nothing we can offer God. We can offer love.
I said that God wants nothing from us, but on second thought I think God wants our love...
The reason God wants our love is not because God needs our love, but because it is beneficial for us to love God.
Don't ask me why it is beneficial, because I haven't figured that out yet. I am only going by what scriptures say.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Don't be silly, the manufacturer is responsible for the car, hence the warranty, not the driver.
If the driver gets drunk and kills a bunch of people the manufacturer is not hauled into court.

God is not responsible for what humans did after they evolved because God does not determine what humans do.
It is as simple as that.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Living to be happy and actually being happy are not the same thing.
No, they aren't, because a person can be happy even if they don't live to be happy, or a person can live to be happy and not be happy.
I know I have some issues with personal happiness since I consider it selfish, but if I am not happy that is not the reason, since I know there is nothing wrong with being happy. My life circumstances are just what they are, and it would be very difficult for anyone to be happy under these circumstances. In fact, given these circumstances it is amazing that I am not depressed, but I am a fighter so that accounts for some of it.