• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does God want from you?

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Except the bad stuff... Apparently

In that case, the bad stuff has been blamed on either Satan, humans, or both. I've yet to meet a Christian (or any other Abrahamic theist) who blames the biblical God for all of the atrocities, disasters, and suffering in the world. In the years I was a Christian, God was normally given credit for whatever was good in the world but never blamed for anything that was evil, tragic, or horrific. In fact, I have never seen an argument from Christians (or other similar theists I've met) where the buck stops here with God, who is said to be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. The blame is normally placed elsewhere.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I said: No, God did not design those, they evolved naturally and/or had causes related to lifestyle choices.

Sure, many people get diseases that were not the result of a lifestyle choice, but why do you want to blame God? What do you get from doing that?
Why does it have to be someone's fault? **** happens. Just be grateful you still have a husband. My husband died of cancer and it was probably because the doctor dropped the ball for which I plan to seek justice.

Why blame god? I don't blame god, its the same as blaming Harry potter ot luke Skywalker.

But the abrahamic god books say god designed it, god, an omni everything made it, knowing full well the consequences of his designs, either that or he is not omni but a failed designer.

Seek justice if you can show medial fault. And ask your god why he allowed cancer to evolve?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I've yet to meet a Christian (or any other Abrahamic theist) who blames the biblical God for all of the atrocities, disasters, and suffering in the world.
Perhaps that is because those Abrahamic theists know that God did not 'cause' any of the atrocities, disasters, and suffering in the world.
God only made those things 'possible' by creating the material world, but God also made good things possible.

I've yet to meet an atheist who did not blames God for all of the atrocities, disasters, and suffering in the world, most of which are caused by humans.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why blame god? I don't blame god, its the same as blaming Harry potter ot luke Skywalker.
Whenever you invoke God as the cause you are blaming God, whether you believe that God exists or not.
A nonexistent god cannot be the cause of anything
But the abrahamic god books say god designed it, god, an omni everything made it, knowing full well the consequences of his designs, either that or he is not omni but a failed designer.
God has perfect foreknowledge, so God has always known what will happen, but knowing something will happen is not what causes it to happen. An astronomer knows exactly when and where an eclipse will take place in the future. Does the astronomer cause the eclipse to take place.

“Every act ye meditate is as clear to Him as is that act when already accomplished. There is none other God besides Him. His is all creation and its empire. All stands revealed before Him; all is recorded in His holy and hidden Tablets. This fore-knowledge of God, however, should not be regarded as having caused the actions of men, just as your own previous knowledge that a certain event is to occur, or your desire that it should happen, is not and can never be the reason for its occurrence.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 150
Question.—If God has knowledge of an action which will be performed by someone, and it has been written on the Tablet of Fate, is it possible to resist it?​
Answer.—The foreknowledge of a thing is not the cause of its realization; for the essential knowledge of God surrounds, in the same way, the realities of things, before as well as after their existence, and it does not become the cause of their existence. It is a perfection of God.......​
Seek justice if you can show medial fault. And ask your god why he allowed cancer to evolve?
It is so sad that you cannot see your way out of blaming God. :( What makes it all the worse is that it leads you to blame God who is not responsible, rather than blaming the humans who were responsible.

Blaming God does not hurt God, it only hurts the people who blame Him. I know, because I used to blame God for everything because of my distorted thinking.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
That is so sad that you think that way, what lifestyle choices does a 6 year old child who contracts leukemia make that caused their leukemia?

What lifestyle choice caused me husband's prostrate cancer?

I didn't choose to be abused, but I chose to waste many years of my life foolishly praying to God, pleading with him to protect me or possibly save me. It took me several years to finally realize that I had to be honest with myself and acknowledge that either God doesn't exist, or if he does, then he obviously doesn't care about me, other abused children, or anyone else in the world who is suffering. It first hit home for me after I saved myself from being abused after I turned eighteen. I was the one who confronted both of my abusers. Neither God nor anyone else in my life had ever done that for me before then.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
God is always given credit for whatever is good in the world but never blamed for anything that is clearly evil, tragic, or horrific that happens in the world.
Not always. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Like I said you ignored it. A few days ago, just like all the times before. Such is life.
I respond to all posts posted to me.
You can claim that I ignored what you said but if you cannot prove it it is an empty claim.
If you said something a few days ago and I ignored it you should be able to find the post with the Search tool.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Been there, done that, worn the tee shirt. Even got a slapped hand for my troubles. Some religions are completely inflexible and deny logic calling their own view logical. In such a case it's impossible to for them to accept anything not in their instruction manual
The fact that some need to try to claim that their faith is rational when it is clearly not indicates to me that the faith of that person is not quite up to snuff. I cannot say about other religions, but the Christians with the strongest faith are those that say it does not matter which parts of the Bible are false, they still believe in Jesus and follow his teachings.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

I understand your viewpoint, and I tend to agree with you, assuming that God exists. I read and studied the Bible numerous times during the years I was a Christian, including extensive study of the Bible and Christian theology while I was training to be an evangelism team leader and extensively studying the Bible and Christian theology while assisting my nephew in his extended theological studies to be ordained a minister. Truth be told, I essentially studied my way out of believing the Bible, which led to further focused study and research in and out of Christianity. It ultimately led me to disavow my belief in God and my faith in Jesus. Other circumstances also contributed to my decision to renounce my belief in God and abandon Christianity, but I basically studied my way out of believing in the Bible and God. Ironically, my nephew did as well. He was studying to be a pastor, so it took him longer to admit that he no longer believed in God or in the Bible than it did me, but he eventually admitted it. It was hard on him too. He is an agnostic now, like I am.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
There is evidence. All you have to do is go look for it. Blah blah blah.
That is called deflection.
When I am asked for evidence I present the evidence, I never deflect. I present the evidence even though I have presented it many times before.

I cannot find a needle in a haystack and i should not have to.
Your deflection 'assures' that I will never be able to reply with a reasoned rebuttal which is a strategy many atheists employ.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@ppp
The Funny frubal is more deflection and it is also against Rule 9.

Misusing the "Funny" rating to mock or dismiss other members' posts is against Rule 9:

You can review Rule 9 on the rule page here: RF Rules

Bird123

Infants cry for milk when they are hungry. Is this crying useless energy spent ?

Wise are the infants who cry and believe that mother is listening to the cry.

Similarly..
Wise is the man who cry and believe that God is listening to him/her :)
You make a good point. On the other hand, everyone wants to rule the world. Could crying be used in an attempt to control and get your way? Is this really going to work in the long run?

God will grant His children anything as long as it doesn't interfere with their or any one else's lesson. If one absolutely needs help, it will show up. If one just wants to have it made, the struggle will be to understand that having it made has never been what it's all about.

God does hear it all.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If @ppp and @lukethethird, or anyone else who rates my serious posts as funny, just to make fun of me, I am going to report you to the staff if this continues.

This is just a heads-up. I hardly ever report anyone, not unless their behavior is really bad, and the staff knows that.

Bird123

Good afternoon Bird123. You ask what Yahweh wants from us. Why not look at the Bible for answers? Deuteronomy 10:12 says "12 And now, Israel, what does Yahweh your Elohim require of you, but to fear Yahweh your Elohim, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul, 13 to keep the commandments of Yahweh, and his statutes, which I command you this day for your good? 14 Behold, to Yahweh your Elohim belongs heaven and the heaven of heavens, the earth, with all that is in it. 15 Yet Yahweh had a delight in your fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all peoples, as at this day." and Micah 6:"8 He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does Yahweh require of you, but to do justly, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your Elohim" (Sacred Scriptures Bethel Edition).
Why would a Being capable of creating universes require anyone to serve?
Why would a Being capable of creating universes need anyone to fear Him?
Why would God be teaching His children that one must use fear in order to intimidate the choices of others?
Why would God be teaching it is right to intimidate the choices of others?
Why would God be Commanding with Commandments in order to rule and control the actions of others? Would not a Being as Intelligent as God have better ways thereby teaching His children better lessons than the ruling and controlling of others?

Well, you can see I have many questions. So much of your quote does not add up for High Intelligence to be making. To be honest. The quote reflects mankind more than anything else to me. Still, it's a view many hold onto.

Thanks for your view!!

That's what I see. It's very clear!!