• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has happened to Protestantism?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Strongly doubt this will happen, nor do I want it to. I can't think of any Anglicans who do.
If I remember correctly, it was mainly the Catholics who truly hoped for reunification, not just with the Anglicans, but also with the Eastern Orthodox. I'm sure there were Anglicans who also shared that ecumenical vision, but I have no idea what percent.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
If I remember correctly, it was mainly the Catholics who truly hoped for reunification, not just with the Anglicans, but also with the Eastern Orthodox. I'm sure there were Anglicans who also shared that ecumenical vision, but I have no idea what percent.
Anglicans were much closer to joining the EO Church moreso; what disqualified them was women clergy. Anglicans have never truly wanted to join the RCC but as the latter sees them as schismatics it wants them back, so to speak. Obviously the Anglicans do not see it this way.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Anglicans were much closer to joining the EO Church moreso; what disqualified them was women clergy. Anglicans have never truly wanted to join the RCC but as the latter sees them as schismatics it wants them back, so to speak. Obviously the Anglicans do not see it this way.
There are so many differences that I truly can't see it happening. See my post above.

IndigoChild5559

What's that?
You know how the Catholic church has different rites? Like the Latin rite, the Byzantine rite, etc? They have a relatively new thing where the Liturgy is based on teh Anglican Book of Common Prayer. It is designed for former Anglicans who become Catholics.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's as if people don't know this. They do not know their own Reformers.
In my experience: No. We generally do not hear about this. The exception for me was that my 7th grade Abeka History (home-school) did mention it.
This should be common Protestant knowledge.
Yeaaah probably.
Nope. Sola scriptura is older than Europeans being in the Americas, even older than protestantism itself. Most protestants, Lutherans, Calvinists, Hussites and Mennonites have it as a principle.
You are right, however it is in America that large disparate groups lived for a century without much contact with catholic or even Anglican church people. Thousands of creeds were put together, sometimes called declarations. Each church, even today, in many places is a surprise pie. I visited a church which believed the gospel had been lost for centuries until reestablished in the Philippines, and they could explain from scripture how this came to be and was predicted by the prophets in the bible. I grew up in a church which had people that would psychically prophesy over individuals -- just three blocks away from a snake handling church and across town from CBN. This is because USA is where the 'Sola scriptura' came into use, and each church could microfocus on whatever they thought was important. It was here that both the JW's and the LDS originated and many smaller groups. This is the land of sola scriptura. We do also have Lutherans, Anglicans, various catholic types; but for a long time we were a large mass of land divided by dirt roads into isolated religious groups.

Now the most successful of those groups are spreading from here around the world, changing Christianity. It is changing what 'Protestant' signifies in the usual person's mouth.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I was baptized an Anglican a few weeks ago.

I am finding, however, that young Protestants (under 30 or 35) seem to take Protestantism to mean:

1. No liturgy.

2. No Tradition.

3. No Saints.

4. Bible only.

5. Rock music.

Etc.

This is not Anglicanism, the largest Protestant denomination in the world. This is not Lutheranism, either.

What is going on?

Do people think liturgy = RCC?

Saints = RCC?

Tradition = RCC?

I have grown up with Anglicanism and we have and always have had all these things.

Wtf is happening to Protestantism?
I believe I have heard there is a high church Anglicanism which is closer to Catholicism and a lower church Anglicanism which you must have encountered. The Anglican church is not the only Protestant church even in England where the Anglican Church is state approved.

Muffled

Jesus in me
protestantism has taking away the sacred in the church.. sad yes

angelican, catholic and ortdox chuches give people a feeling of awe and feeling the divine

by the way congratulations on being baptised:blush:
I believe I find God sacred enough without adding things to Him.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't know about the questions you have posed and haven't right now given them any thought

But I would just like to congratulate you on your baptism :)

I got baptised in I think 2020
I was baptized in 1978. It should have been 1971 when I received Jesus as Lord and Savior but the church gave me the feeling that I needed to measure up to be baptized and as an iconoclast I didn't fit. It took me a while to figure I could be baptized just as I am.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
In my experience: No. We generally do not hear about this. The exception for me was that my 7th grade Abeka History (home-school) did mention it.

Yeaaah probably.
You are right, however it is in America that large disparate groups lived for a century without much contact with catholic or even Anglican church people. Thousands of creeds were put together, sometimes called declarations. Each church, even today, in many places is a surprise pie. I visited a church which believed the gospel had been lost for centuries until reestablished in the Philippines, and they could explain from scripture how this came to be and was predicted by the prophets in the bible. I grew up in a church which had people that would psychically prophesy over individuals -- just three blocks away from a snake handling church and across town from CBN. This is because USA is where the 'Sola scriptura' came into use, and each church could microfocus on whatever they thought was important. It was here that both the JW's and the LDS originated and many smaller groups. This is the land of sola scriptura. We do also have Lutherans, Anglicans, various catholic types; but for a long time we were a large mass of land divided by dirt roads into isolated religious groups.

Now the most successful of those groups are spreading from here around the world, changing Christianity. It is changing what 'Protestant' signifies in the usual person's mouth.
Our Founding Father's were generally Diest and our first settlers a mix of the religious disenchanted of Europe, from Puritans, and Quakers, to Huguenots and Catholics, all settling in a new land with the "principle" of live and worship in freedom. We still struggle with the acceptance of that founding principle outside our own beliefs, but it survives!

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe I have heard there is a high church Anglicanism which is closer to Catholicism and a lower church Anglicanism which you must have encountered. The Anglican church is not the only Protestant church even in England where the Anglican Church is state approved.
Low Church still has a liturgy, still has sacraments and so on.

Of course I'm aware of other Protestant churches.

The Anglican is the largest Protestant Church here, for obvious reasons.

I feel as though people really aren't getting that the Reformers would not recognise modern 'Protestantism'. From my studies of it I certainly don't.

IndigoChild5559

I believe I have heard there is a high church Anglicanism which is closer to Catholicism and a lower church Anglicanism which you must have encountered.
Yes. It is called Anglo-Catholicism. These Anglicans are amazingly close to Catholicism. They venerate Mary, believe in Purgatory, acknowledge the seven sacraments, etc etc. CS Lewis was a famous Anglo-Catholic.
The Anglican church is not the only Protestant church even in England where the Anglican Church is state approved.
Yes.

RestlessSoul

I was baptized in 1978. It should have been 1971 when I received Jesus as Lord and Savior but the church gave me the feeling that I needed to measure up to be baptized and as an iconoclast I didn't fit. It took me a while to figure I could be baptized just as I am.

God's love is surely unconditional. So yeah, come as you are, and be healed in the spirit.

RestlessSoul

Yes. It is called Anglo-Catholicism. These Anglicans are amazingly close to Catholicism. They venerate Mary, believe in Purgatory, acknowledge the seven sacraments, etc etc. CS Lewis was a famous Anglo-Catholic.

Yes.

I had a Welsh colleague, who described himself as an Anglican Catholic. There is a long tradition of religious (and political) nonconformism in Wales, not sure exactly where my friend's affiliation fit in with that jigsaw. He was neither Roman Catholic nor Church of England anyway.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I feel as though people really aren't getting that the Reformers would not recognise modern 'Protestantism'. From my studies of it I certainly don't.
Modern Protestantism is doing the same as the Reformers, protesting bull**** where they see it, and reforming the church together with the evolution of the culture. The Lutherans are seldom more than 30 years behind the zeitgeist, occasionally even right at the heart of it. The RCC is kicking and screaming while it is dragged into the future, on average 200 years behind.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Modern Protestantism is doing the same as the Reformers, protesting bull**** where they see it, and reforming the church together with the evolution of the culture. The Lutherans are seldom more than 30 years behind the zeitgeist, occasionally even right at the heart of it. The RCC is kicking and screaming while it is dragged into the future, on average 200 years behind.
I think you're misunderstanding. You seem to have confused culture with theology.

Being modern means being decadent and horrible and immoral, but that's nothing to do with sacramental theology.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Our Founding Father's were generally Diest and our first settlers a mix of the religious disenchanted of Europe, from Puritans, and Quakers, to Huguenots and Catholics, all settling in a new land with the "principle" of live and worship in freedom. We still struggle with the acceptance of that founding principle outside our own beliefs, but it survives!
Some founding fathers were as close to atheist as one could get in their time, yes. Not all were so, however. Patrick Henry for example was a red hot poker of religiosity. I don't remember if he was one of the signers, but he was definitely a founding father in my opinion.