• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has Sarah Palin actually done?

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi mball,

And what percentage of all teens is that? I'm guessing around 10% maybe? I'd bet that no more than 15% of all teens practice abstinence.

I think it is more than that.

You still also have yet to show why anyone should practice abstinence.

You want me to show you why monogamy is better for individuals and society than promiscuous behavior?

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Contentius,

I have no problem with educating teens on abstinence/encouraging it. But it's idiotic to delude yourself into thinking its the only way. Inevitably, there will be many more teens who DO have sex and safe sex practices need to be taught.

They are taught about 'safe' sex and they take that knowledge and 1 in 4 get infected with an STD.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Dirty,

Well that's just it. You CAN'T force them to not have sex... At some point they will so what you should do is educate them. Even if they are abstinent they still need to be educated.... There's no way for you to get around it. So what....millions practice abstaining...millions don't. Teaching abstinence is effective to a point but it's not the total answer. Additionally you're forgetting the other component and that is oral sex. I wonder how many of those who abstain from sexual intercourse by penetration engage in oral. Here are some statistics of school kids who engage in it.

I would argue that the vast majority of those teens the were infected with an STD were 'educated' about 'safe' sex.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Contentius,

Are you seriously attempting to argue that education on how to PREVENT STDs and pregnancy actually INCREASES the rate of STD infection?

I'm arguing that those that were infected with an STD were most likely taught how to have 'safe' sex. While years back fewer people were taught how to have 'safe' sex and less young people were infected with an STD.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Hi Contentius,

Are public schools in inner cities not 'educating' the students about 'safe' sex?

It's probably different where you're from than here in Canada.

In Canada, we have a public school system and a Catholic school system. The Catholic one is technically "public" as it is funded with public money. I went to the Catholic one. In Catholic schools here, the sex education is determined by the bishop of the diocese. My diocese has a pretty liberal bishop that encouraged safe sex education. But I know of others in the Toronto area who are the exact opposite.

In any case, that wasn't the question. You suggested that teens who get STDs are necessarily educated on safe sex practices. I asked if you had a source for that information. Not all areas have sex education, some areas teach it differently, and there are some areas where parents can opt their children out of it, I think.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Hi Contentius,

I'm arguing that those that were infected with an STD were most likely taught how to have 'safe' sex. While years back fewer people were taught how to have 'safe' sex and less young people were infected with an STD.

Do you have a source for this?

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I believe both sides of this discussion seem to have a higher expectation of the impact schools have on a child's sex life than what really happens. Does anyone believe we are actually teaching them anything they do not already know or they are going to pay attention to, retain, and actually use the information in real life?

Unsupervised children are the biggest problem. We don't leave younger children unsupervised do we? Why?

linwood

I believe both sides of this discussion seem to have a higher expectation of the impact schools have on a child's sex life than what really happens. Does anyone believe we are actually teaching them anything they do not already know or they are going to pay attention to, retain, and actually use the information in real life?

Actually the teen pregnancy and STD rates dropped a drastic 20% in the 80`s-90`s after almost a decade of dedicated sex education concerning contraceptives and STD`s.
Never in the history of our country had we had a drop in teen pregnancy rates at all until sex ed became the status quo.
A 20% drop over a ten year period is staggeringly successful.

Since our government has abandoned this form of sex ed our teen pregnancy/STD rates have risen just as drastically.

So, yes sex ed has an impact.

rojse

RF Addict
Actually the teen pregnancy and STD rates dropped a drastic 20% in the 80`s-90`s after almost a decade of dedicated sex education concerning contraceptives and STD`s.
Never in the history of our country had we had a drop in teen pregnancy rates at all until sex ed became the status quo.
A 20% drop over a ten year period is staggeringly successful.

Since our government has abandoned this form of sex ed our teen pregnancy/STD rates have risen just as drastically.

So, yes sex ed has an impact.

Don't try and use statistics, Linwood!

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hi mball,

I think it is more than that.

Good for you. Then, show me a source. Of course, even if it's higher, there's absolutely no way it's a majority that practices abstinence.

You want me to show you why monogamy is better for individuals and society than promiscuous behavior?

I want you to show me why having sex with only one person your whole life is better than having sex with several people.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hi Contentius,

That's probably because there were less STDs, less people and less talking about sex and anything associated with it. You're very good at the whole "using irrelevant correlation to assume a point you want to be true" thing.

IndigoStorm

We all know that Sarah Palin is evil. However, there are people I know that like her. This is a problem. I can't do much to counteract it because I don't actually know much about her policies.

Besides claiming that she can see Russia from her house (the people deny that she ever said that), what else has she done? What are her policies, what is she planning to do as president?

"We all know this???" Define "all" for me please!

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious

Unsupervised children are the biggest problem. We don't leave younger children unsupervised do we? Why?

Wow. Let this day go down in the history books. I actually agree with Reverend Rick on an issue.

How I was raised was my parents knew every single thing I did (well lol....almost...;)). My parents were firm and sometimes too restrictive. But that restriction kept me away from doing drugs and getting STDs and/or knocking some girl up. I had curfews and if I dared not show up home on time, there would be severe consequences.

Many of the parents I know simply allow their kids to run wild, probably looking back to how their parents restricted their teen years and give them a greater degree of freedom because of it.

On the flip side of the coin, 16, 17, and 18 year olds are pretty much adults. I think they should be given some sort of leeway to make their own decisions. But at these ages, they are still vulnerable to negative outside influences. It would be foolish to shield them from these influences and mollycoddle them. It would be wiser to teach them the value of a dollar, hard work, and education, just as my parents taught me.

I get offered drugs on almost a daily basis. Hell, I was once picking up my mother from work, sitting in the car, and a dealer came right up to my car in the mall parking lot and offered them. But I have enough fortitude to ignore the pressure to do them and say no. I think that's ultimately a lot more valuable.

Parents shouldn't be dictating what decisions their children should be making, but outlining the importance of making the right choices and emphasizing the consequences of making the wrong choices. I think that teaches responsibility and common sense much more effectively.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I have made no argument.
I am merely wanting to know the source of your claim.

Thus far you have not presented any source.
In fact, you seem to be trying to divert attention from that fact.
I think it is common sense. And there is no way you can make the argument that with the widespread use of birth control sexual activity with multiple partners has decreased.

so in a nutshell you are merely trying to present your opinion as fact?
That you do not have a shred of evidence to back up your claim?
That you are merely presenting that which you think helps your argument without actually doing any research on the matter?

For someone who does not hesitate to accuse others of not looking at the evidence....
Still waiting....