• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What has Sarah Palin actually done?

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Contentius,

You either miss the point, or you willingly ignore it. The point is teens who are taught abstinence are just as likely as teens who are not to have sex.

I would say that doesn't work and the only logical measure is to educate teens on safe sex practices and not be complete prudes and encourage sexual repression.

I think you are missing the point. The teens that practiced abstinence got no STDs. And many teens did just that. Proof that it can happen.

linwood

I think you are missing the point. The teens that practiced abstinence got no STDs. And many teens did just that. Proof that it can happen.

Yes, it CAN happen.

Trouble is it doesn`t, it never has, maintaining the status quo guarantees that it never will.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi linwood,

Yes, it CAN happen.

Trouble is it doesn`t, it never has, maintaining the status quo guarantees that it never will.

You must mean that it works every time it is practiced and it is practiced by millions of teens.

linwood

Hi linwood,

You must mean that it works every time it is practiced and it is practiced by millions of teens.

While it`s not practiced by tens of millions more.

I have no problem with abstinence.
I do have a problem accepting abstinence and only abstinence at the expense of educating kids about sex and how to have sex.

It makes no sense to me to teach my kid everything from the ability to read to tying her shoes to flipping a pancake yet intentionally leave her in the dark ...or even worse.. to intentionally misinform her about a subject that can and will on many levels change her entire life and outlook on life.

It`s just stupid to endanger your own child in such a manner.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Hi linwood,

And what percentage of all teens is that? I'm guessing around 10% maybe? I'd bet that no more than 15% of all teens practice abstinence.

You still also have yet to show why anyone should practice abstinence.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
I have no problem with educating teens on abstinence/encouraging it. But it's idiotic to delude yourself into thinking its the only way. Inevitably, there will be many more teens who DO have sex and safe sex practices need to be taught.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Hi linwood,

Well that's just it. You CAN'T force them to not have sex... At some point they will so what you should do is educate them. Even if they are abstinent they still need to be educated.... There's no way for you to get around it. So what....millions practice abstaining...millions don't. Teaching abstinence is effective to a point but it's not the total answer. Additionally you're forgetting the other component and that is oral sex. I wonder how many of those who abstain from sexual intercourse by penetration engage in oral. Here are some statistics of school kids who engage in it.

http://www.4parents.gov/sexrisky/somefacts/somefacts.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1058/is_26_120/ai_112131087/
"But the other question raised by the survey was whether "having sex" has been limited to vaginal penetration. Young adults appear to be turning to oral sex as a way to remain sexually "pure" as they wait longer for marriage, according to sexual-health experts."

http://www.avert.org/abstinence.htm
"In addition, the majority of young people who take abstinence pledges still have sex before they are married and when they do they report using condoms less often than 'non-pledgers' and are more likely to substitute anal or oral sex for vaginal sexual intercourse."

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I have no problem with educating teens on abstinence/encouraging it. But it's idiotic to delude yourself into thinking its the only way. Inevitably, there will be many more teens who DO have sex and safe sex practices need to be taught.

Actually, I've learned from Fox News and other conservative sources that if you just stick your fingers in your ears and ignore things you don't like, it makes those things go away. Give it a try sometime.

Humanistheart

So, the 'abstinence' convo got started because of Palines stance of sex education or something? Sorry, I haven't been following this thread lately.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
I think they want kids who aren't abstinent to get STDs, both to punish them for their sins and so they can serve as object lessons to scare other kids into being abstinent.

Amill

Apikoros
Yea I don't really know or care about her policies either. The fact that she thinks God wants America to go to the middle east and kill the people there is enough for me to despise her. It's that "manifest destiny" type of arrogance that makes me sick.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
Q: What are some issues of hers that you agree with?

A: I'm not sure where you're going with that. What issues?

Q: And you think Sarah will win if she throws her hat into the ring?

A: Well, he's naturalizing a lot of the illegal aliens -- he's in the process of doing it. They're saying she's not going to have the votes when you throw those numbers in.

Q: There won't be enough white votes on one side to get a candidate through?

A: No way.

We do need to have profiling. I mean, the politically correctness has got to get out now. I mean, we're Americans, and she sticks up for the American people, not for other people.

When you're right, you don't have to compromise. Compromise is for people that are wrong.

The state that she did govern was right across the street from Russia.

Q: Where have you been hearing that? A lot of people have said that to us; I'm just trying to get an idea where people are hearing this.

A: Well, I belong to church groups, study groups, and, you know, I watch television all the time ...

Q: And what are you watching on television to find this?

A: Well, I watch FoxNews, a lot.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Probably mentioned, but there was the Trooper Gate scandal. If she abuses her power as governor in such a manner, what might she do if she is president?
And then there was the Alaskan pipeline.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
When you're right, you don't have to compromise. Compromise is for people that are wrong.

Compromise is necessary to build a political movement large enough to win presidencies. As long as Palin and her supporters are uncompromising, they probably will not win too many elections.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Back to Palin. Check out this video of Sarah Palin supporters at a book signing in Columbus:

Starting at 1:05 people who were commenting really didn't to seem to know very much about her or her "policies"....They were like sheep.

A youtuber comments;

gelforme
Its amazing how educated people choose to be on TV supporting Sarah Palin; having no idea about what she represents and showing no interest in knowing about it..This is a pretty blantant example of racism (sadly they aren't even aware they are doing it!)..Blindly trusting the 'white skin' even if it really represents trash!
That pretty much sums it up. As far as the racism comment see video at 4:25

:facepalm:

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi linwood,

I have no problem with abstinence.
I do have a problem accepting abstinence and only abstinence at the expense of educating kids about sex and how to have sex.

It makes no sense to me to teach my kid everything from the ability to read to tying her shoes to flipping a pancake yet intentionally leave her in the dark ...or even worse.. to intentionally misinform her about a subject that can and will on many levels change her entire life and outlook on life.

It`s just stupid to endanger your own child in such a manner.

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here when I say that the vast majority of those teens that got STDs were 'educated' about 'safe' sex. It didn't work. Teaching them irresponsible behavior lead to them engaging in irresponsible behavior.

Vile Atheist

Loud and Obnoxious
Hi linwood,

I don't think I'm going too far out on a limb here when I say that the vast majority of those teens that got STDs were 'educated' about 'safe' sex. It didn't work. Teaching them irresponsible behavior lead to them engaging in irresponsible behavior.

Do you have a source?