• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if there was no Holy Bible at all?

The Holy Bottom Burp

I was just quoting Eminem and implying that each of us has his own opinion and that we should all just leave each other to it.
Ah, if only it were that simple. Unfortunately there are a lot of nasty people out there whose "opinion" means they think harming other human beings is justified. It is why I take an interest in what people are thinking and saying, regardless of how bat sh*t their ideas might be. Got to be aware, got to oppose.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, if only it were that simple. Unfortunately there are a lot of nasty people out there whose "opinion" means they think harming other human beings is justified. It is why I take an interest in what people are thinking and saying, regardless of how bat sh*t their ideas might be. Got to be aware, got to oppose.
Jew can noahide from me! :p

Yes, if only people would stop hating.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
If i did not fully believe that my religion is the true one then why would i bother being in it??

That is a straw-man argument and circular reasoning. You are still egoistically judging people on a subjective interpretation of "truth".

newone

That is a straw-man argument and circular reasoning. You are still egoistically judging people on a subjective interpretation of "truth".
"Subjective"...based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
No its not...because we talking about faith here, i let the bible guide me to the truth. My personal feelings, tastes or opinions do not matter...

Socratic Berean

Occasional thinker, perpetual seeker
Would Christianity have had survived or been remembered as an instututed religion if no Holy Bible ever was made?

My personal answer is definitely not. As it's a religion based solely upon its literature, and its solvency remains dependent on the continuation of its distribution of literature. Things like oral tradition can only carry things so far.

It's a critical reason why I don't believe in a central guiding force or dieity like Jehovah, Jesus, Mary, or angels and whatnot directing and preserving any religion that thinks it's deification is the sole foundation by which it survives, grows, and spreads. It's simply not. It's books and physical record that are essential by which a religion is recognized and preserved. Theistic or not.

I've been thinking about literary dependency and it's apparently true for any religion out there to remain established and relevant for the long term it requires it's books or any form of written record.

Without them, no instituted religion will survive.

Agree, disagree?
Looking at Islam, long the fastest growing religion, may provide insight. In a college course on the faith that I took many years ago, the professor (an Iranian) noted that the vast majority of Muslims have never read the Quran and rely solely on the oral tradition as conveyed by imams. Why? According to the professor, the bulk of the people who adhere to Islam are not able to read Arabic and, in many places, translation into any other language is considered heretical. (I believe he also noted that the vast majority is illiterate in their own tongue, as he was pointing out that the country with the largest body of muslims is Indonesia.). Since that course, and even recently, I have heard other scholars repeat these claims.

newone

Looking at Islam, long the fastest growing religion, may provide insight. In a college course on the faith that I took many years ago, the professor (an Iranian) noted that the vast majority of Muslims have never read the Quran and rely solely on the oral tradition as conveyed by imams. Why? According to the professor, the bulk of the people who adhere to Islam are not able to read Arabic and, in many places, translation into any other language is considered heretical. (I believe he also noted that the vast majority is illiterate in their own tongue, as he was pointing out that the country with the largest body of muslims is Indonesia.). Since that course, and even recently, I have heard other scholars repeat these claims.

I agree with you, my wife used to be in another Christian church...she says they never opened the bible:)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Whether translations are accepted or not, if you look at various ones you can find totally contradictory translations. My favorite example is 17:104. Note the difference between past and future tense. One translation implies that we're living in the end times because the State of Israel exists. Others have vastly different meanings.

Sahih International: And We said after Pharaoh to the Children of Israel, "Dwell in the land, and when there comes the promise of the Hereafter, We will bring you forth in [one] gathering."

Pickthall: And We said unto the Children of Israel after him: Dwell in the land; but when the promise of the Hereafter cometh to pass We shall bring you as a crowd gathered out of various nations.

Yusuf Ali: And We said thereafter to the Children of Israel, "Dwell securely in the land (of promise)": but when the second of the warnings came to pass, We gathered you together in a mingled crowd.

Shakir: And We said to the Israelites after him: Dwell in the land: and when the promise of the next life shall come to pass, we will bring you both together in judgment.

Muhammad Sarwar: We told the Israelites after this to settle in the land until Our second promise will come true. We would then gather them all together (on the Day of Judgment).

Mohsin Khan: And We said to the Children of Israel after him: "Dwell in the land, then, when the final and the last promise comes near [i.e. the Day of Resurrection or the descent of Christ ['Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary) on the earth]. We shall bring you altogether as mixed crowd (gathered out of various nations).[Tafsir Al-Qurtubi, Vol. 10, Page 338]

Arberry: And We said to the Children of Israel after him, 'Dwell in the land; and when the promise of the world to come comes to pass, We shall bring you a rabble.'

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I agree with you, my wife used to be in another Christian church...she says they never opened the bible:)
If the entire Bible disappeared except for the two 'greatest commandments' that to me would be sufficient because of what is in the Bible (circular I know)

[37] Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. [38] This is the first and great commandment. [39] And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. [40] On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
"Subjective"...based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
No its not...because we talking about faith here, i let the bible guide me to the truth. My personal feelings, tastes or opinions do not matter...

More straw-mans and more curricular reasoning. This is getting boring.