• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we accepted each others Religion?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In their mind... All new religions, with their new messenger, all started small. But they grew and took over, because the previous religions of the previous messengers, got corrupted and were no longer teaching or practicing the truth. They have to go. They must be replaced with the new and true teachings from God that have been brought by the new messenger. They believe the Baha'i Faith is destined to be the religion of the whole world. We will all come to see the light and realize, that the teachings of Baha'u'llah are the only hope for the world. It is the only way to eliminate all wars and for us all to live in peace. None of the other religions can do this.

Trouble is... we all see areas of concern. We see things that aren't quite right. And it makes us question whether or not this new religion is true or not. And by the answers, attitudes and actions of some of the Baha'is, it doesn't help dispel our doubts. A couple of the Baha'is, to me, really seem like nice people, but I still don't believe them.

Oh, and I forgot, Baha'is have "feasts" every 19 days. That is the length of a Baha'i month. These are for Baha'is only. So, we can't go and participate with them. When I was around Baha'is, it was "firesides", informal chats about the basics about the Baha'i Faith and larger teaching events that were aimed at presenting the teachings of the Baha'i Faith to a non-Baha'is audience. It would be like a Baha'i going to a Billy Graham proselytizing event.

What LH is talking about is going to actual religious services of the other religions.
Nice irony. A Baha'i would be free to go to many other services, like say, my Hindu temple, (and get a free lunch) but non-Baha'i couldn't go to theirs. (Not that I would want to.)

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I have never seen Baha'i mentioned as a major world religion, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt, and googled to see what would come up. The position of Bahai seems to depend upon how large the group of "major world religions" is. If you are only picking a half dozen, it is not listed. If you increase the size of the group, then people begin to list it.

What are the top 5 major world religions?
Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and Buddhism are always included in the list, being known as the "Big Five". Some scholars also include other religions, such as Manichaeism, Sikhism, the Baháʼí Faith, or Zoroastrianism, in the category.

What are the 12 major religions of the world?
Major religions of the world - Religion - Issues Online
The world's faithful account for 83% of the global population; the great majority of these fall under twelve classical religions–Baha'i, Buddhism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism, Taoism, and Zoroastrianism.

What are the 6 main religions in the world?
In order of size, the six major world religions are Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Judaism.
Don't forget that wiki is constantly getting edited.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
I've not a problem at all with this, and I'm an atheist.
BUT, and it is a big BUT, those religions must stop trying to force their beliefs on me. By that I mean, don't tell me what to think on abortion, same sex relationships, euthanasia. Additionally, there must be no government funded religious schools, there should be no Bishops in our 2nd chamber (I live in the UK), churches should not be charities and should pay taxes like everyone else.

Yes, happy to live and let live once we have a level playing field.
Personally, I feel we're all humans and are entitled to our opinions. Some of us have less tact than others when sharing those opinions. We must all remember that in the end we're all just people, and to err is human.

Do churches have any income other than charity? I'm not certain I agree with taxing money donated by mostly unwealthy people trying to make themselves feel better by giving to a cause they believe in.

As long as no one is forced or compelled to action lest they face retribution, let anyone tell everyone else how or what things they think should be thought or nought. Only you can change your opinion, don't let anyone control your thoughts but keep an open mind.. In my opinion. ;)

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Firstly I am only referring to the major religions.

Next I’m speaking of accepting the Founder and the spiritual teachings such as virtues and prayer etc not the laws. The administration of each faith would remain.

So Christians would accept Buddha and Muhammad, Buddhists would accept Christ and Baha’is etc

And instead of segregating ourselves in our own churches, pagodas, temples and synagogues, we would visit each others places of worship to meditate and pray together. We Baha’is already do this and read from all the sacred scriptures of each religion in all our services.

In this way we can celebrate our diversity. I think in many places this is happening and also interfaith breaking down barriers. I myself I accept all the major religions and their Founders and Holy Books and find this enriches me greatly. So I read something Christ or Buddha said and it’s a great experience. Christ says to love and Buddha says to fight hate with love and that the greatest of all conquerors is he who conquers his own self. So much wisdom from all these faiths. Why should we deprive ourselves.? If you have any favourite verses please feel most welcome to share them.
As long as their faith doesn't compel violence or hatred, I say welcome all minor religions as well! Come on in, the waters fine!

Dao Hao Now

As long as no one is forced or compelled to action lest they face retribution, let anyone tell everyone else how or what things they think should be thought or nought.
How about when a particular religion has influence over a government and enacts laws based on that religions point of view and has the authority of law to enforce those points of view?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Personally, I feel we're all humans and are entitled to our opinions. Some of us have less tact than others when sharing those opinions. We must all remember that in the end we're all just people, and to err is human.

Do churches have any income other than charity? I'm not certain I agree with taxing money donated by mostly unwealthy people trying to make themselves feel better by giving to a cause they believe in.

As long as no one is forced or compelled to action lest they face retribution, let anyone tell everyone else how or what things they think should be thought or nought. Only you can change your opinion, don't let anyone control your thoughts but keep an open mind.. In my opinion. ;)
Yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, no problem. BUT don't tell / impose on me, a non believer what my opinion should be. e.g. Abortion.
Churches money/income is mainly from donations from their congregation. McDonald's money/income is mainly from donations from their customers. McDonald's pays tax, churches don't. The 'unwealthy' are being conned into giving their money.
But women in the US are being forced to give birth against their will, they no longer have their own thoughts or opinions to rely on.
No one controls my thoughts, or opinion, but religions try to do so.

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
Nice irony. A Baha'i would be free to go to many other services, like say, my Hindu temple, (and get a free lunch) but non-Baha'i couldn't go to theirs. (Not that I would want to.)
All Faiths can come and pray in the Baha'i Temples, and attend the organised devotionals.

Not sure why you would not want to.

Regards Tony

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
How about when a particular religion has influence over a government and enacts laws based on that religions point of view and has the authority of law to enforce those points of view?
I am confused. How is the scenario in which a religious group influenced the legislation and enforcement of laws any different than the only stipulation in the very comment of mine?

Again: "As long as no one is forced or compelled to action lest they face retribution".

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Yes, you are entitled to your own opinion, no problem. BUT don't tell / impose on me, a non believer what my opinion should be. e.g. Abortion.
Churches money/income is mainly from donations from their congregation. McDonald's money/income is mainly from donations from their customers. McDonald's pays tax, churches don't. The 'unwealthy' are being conned into giving their money.
But women in the US are being forced to give birth against their will, they no longer have their own thoughts or opinions to rely on.
No one controls my thoughts, or opinion, but religions try to do so.
McDonald's provides a service, and charges their customers a fee for that service. In 2020 they had a revenue of over ¹$19 billion, while the Ronald McDonald House charity procured less than ²$500 million, for example. I do not think that $500 million should have been taxed either, it was given through good will, by people trying to make themselves feel better.

¹McDonald’s revenue 2022 | Statista
²https://rmhc.org/-/media/Feature/RM...d-Financials/RMHC_2020_AnnualReport_FINAL.pdf

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
By whoever considers it a major religion, but who cares?
I don't care. I believe it is a true religion and I don't care if it is considered major or not.

In the early days of Christianity, Christianity was considered a little cult, but as we all know this is no longer the case. It is now the largest religion in the world.

Religions take time to grow large.

Altfish

Veteran Member
McDonald's provides a service, and charges their customers a fee for that service. In 2020 they had a revenue of over ¹$19 billion, while the Ronald McDonald House charity procured less than ²$500 million, for example. I do not think that $500 million should have been taxed either, it was given through good will, by people trying to make themselves feel better.

¹McDonald’s revenue 2022 | Statista
²https://rmhc.org/-/media/Feature/RM...d-Financials/RMHC_2020_AnnualReport_FINAL.pdf
Do churches not also provide a service?
OK, I quoted McDonalds; maybe that gave you an easy get out of jail card.
What about your local store, that has been run as a business for the local people by Mr & Mrs Normal, they ear less that the congregation gives the church, but they have to pay tax.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The Baha'i, desperate for attention of any kind, would be sure to inform all press of any happenings. They got press here for some bicentennial celebration recently.
Some things have to be said.

You consistently come to Baha'i threads to cast a negative light on the Baha'i Faith.
Do you have anything better to do but denigrate the Baha'i Faith?
I don't see you on any threads started by Christians denigrating them.

Baha'is are not in any way desperate for attention.

The bicentennial celebration is a big deal so that is probably why the press was there, but the Baha'is inform all press of 'any happenings.'
Baha'is also do not advertise and that is one reason so few people even know about the Baha'i Faith.
I wish the Baha'is would spend their money for advertising. If they did there would probably be more Baha'is by now.

If you have any evidence that refutes what I said please present it. I have been a Baha'i for 53 years but I am not aware of everything that Baha'is do in their communities.

Dao Hao Now

I am confused. How is the scenario in which a religious group influenced the legislation and enforcement of laws any different than the only stipulation in the very comment of mine?
That’s my point.
When you state;
That’s all well and good.
But when your stipulation of "As long as no one is forced or compelled to action lest they face retribution", is in fact the case in many instances… that kind of negates the theory of being entitled to our opinions. Does it not.

You make it sound as though it’s a warning of a line to be wary of and not step over.
Unfortunately, in many cases around the world that line has been well trodden.

There are situations where merely expressing contrary opinions to the government sanctioned religious opinion is punishable by law.
In some cases severely.
(Four-in-ten countries and territories worldwide had blasphemy laws in 2019)
So much for accepting each others religions!

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Do churches not also provide a service?
OK, I quoted McDonalds; maybe that gave you an easy get out of jail card.
What about your local store, that has been run as a business for the local people by Mr & Mrs Normal, they ear less that the congregation gives the church, but they have to pay tax.
The church is not charging membership fees/dues. They pass a collection plate around for the congregation to give of their own agency/free will.

We don't need religiosity per se, but we do need food for sustenance. Providing food, a necessity, has a certain guarantee to attract customers. Providing a hopeful message, mostly unnecessary for survival, relies on a certain demographic to remain in operation.

This is a deplorable oversimplification and misrepresentation of a VERY nuanced and heart wrenching dilemma which all of humanity is facing, not just my female countrymen.

Altfish

Veteran Member
The church is not charging membership fees/dues. They pass a collection plate around for the congregation to give of their own agency/free will.

We don't need religiosity per se, but we do need food for sustenance. Providing food, a necessity, has a certain guarantee to attract customers. Providing a hopeful message, mostly unnecessary for survival, relies on a certain demographic to remain in operation.

This is a deplorable oversimplification and misrepresentation of a VERY nuanced and heart wrenching dilemma which all of humanity is facing, not just my female countrymen.
Why is a donation (albeit possibly a large one in total) not taxable but providing life's necessities is taxable?

Abortion is primarily a religious stance, I am not pro-abortion but I am pro the woman having the right to choose.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
That’s my point.
When you state;

That’s all well and good.
But when your stipulation of "As long as no one is forced or compelled to action lest they face retribution", is in fact the case in many instances… that kind of negates the theory of being entitled to our opinions. Does it not.

You make it sound as though it’s a warning of a line to be wary of and not step over.
Unfortunately, in many cases around the world that line has been well trodden.

There are situations where merely expressing contrary opinions to the government sanctioned religious opinion is punishable by law.
In some cases severely.
(Four-in-ten countries and territories worldwide had blasphemy laws in 2019)
So much for accepting each others religions!
Yes, and the same goes for secular thoughts in some countries. In Germany, you are not allowed to reference the NAZI regimes symbolism or use speech that could be seen as supportive of Hitler in public or private. I also disagree with Germany's legislation regarding speech and opinion.

Meanwhile, in China the state is cracking down on the spread of religions, particularly Abrahamic faiths. In China, they’re closing churches, jailing pastors – and even rewriting scripture

I'm not saying we live in a perfect world... I'm giving my perspective on how opinions and speech should be handled and treated.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
It's got three parts to the Baha'i Feast... a devotional part, a business part and a social part. Some of the Baha'is I knew didn't even like the business part. But I think that's why it's for Baha'i only.

I've mentioned this story before... Now I have been with a Baha'i friend at an Ecumenical gathering. One was held at a Reformed Jewish Synagogue. The Christian groups that participated were all from liberal Churches. I don't remember any other religions that were there, except for the Baha'is. My friend and sometimes one other were the only Baha'is that attended the regular meetings. This meeting was a bigger event where speakers from each group went up front to say a few words... that is until the Baha'i lady went up.

The local Baha'i leaders, that never went to any of the regular meetings, thought this was a great opportunity to tell the captive audience about the Baha'i "Peace Statement". They picked a prominent Baha'i to go up there and not say nice things about how wonderful it is that they can all get together and get along, but they wanted her to go up there and read the Peace Statement. It was a great big flop. After a couple of pages of reading, she could tell the group was bored to death, and she stopped.

I think a guy like LH wouldn't do that. He'd probably be more like my friend that attends the regular meetings and just tries to be friends with the other people there... and not try to cram the Baha'i Faith down their throats. Tony sounds like that kind of guy also. He says he goes to Church meetings in his town. And that's just swell, but I think at some point any Baha'i is going to try and "teach" the Faith to those people.

So, what is the purpose of going to these meetings? For a Baha'i, I think it is to find potential converts.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
All Faiths can come and pray in the Baha'i Temples, and attend the organised devotionals.

Not sure why you would not want to.

Regards Tony
It was in reference to the 19 day feasts, I think. Maybe Didymus knows. Yes I know I could go to the temples. They get a ton of tourists. In fact, the one in India is second only to akshardam.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Some things have to be said.

You consistently come to Baha'i threads to cast a negative light on the Baha'i Faith.
Do you have anything better to do but denigrate the Baha'i Faith?
I don't see you on any threads started by Christians denigrating them.

Baha'is are not in any way desperate for attention.

The bicentennial celebration is a big deal so that is probably why the press was there, but the Baha'is inform all press of 'any happenings.'
Baha'is also do not advertise and that is one reason so few people even know about the Baha'i Faith.
I wish the Baha'is would spend their money for advertising. If they did there would probably be more Baha'is by now.

If you have any evidence that refutes what I said please present it. I have been a Baha'i for 53 years but I am not aware of everything that Baha'is do in their communities.
I think you should put me on 'ignore'.