• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if we accepted each others Religion?

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Why is a donation (albeit possibly a large one in total) not taxable
This is an expenditure and may or may not be subject to taxation.
Depending on your locality, certain expenditures are subject to a sales tax.
It's possibly even a tax deduction for the donor, but there are stipulations to how much can be deducted/donated.
but providing life's necessities is taxable?
It's not, if you want to give food away and hope the charity of the locals will support you through donations.

Charging for the food will then qualify as collecting a revenue. Revenue is taxable income.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's got three parts to the Baha'i Feast... a devotional part, a business part and a social part. Some of the Baha'is I knew didn't even like the business part. But I think that's why it's for Baha'i only.

I've mentioned this story before... Now I have been with a Baha'i friend at an Ecumenical gathering. One was held at a Reformed Jewish Synagogue. The Christian groups that participated were all from liberal Churches. I don't remember any other religions that were there, except for the Baha'is. My friend and sometimes one other were the only Baha'is that attended the regular meetings. This meeting was a bigger event where speakers from each group went up front to say a few words... that is until the Baha'i lady went up.

The local Baha'i leaders, that never went to any of the regular meetings, thought this was a great opportunity to tell the captive audience about the Baha'i "Peace Statement". They picked a prominent Baha'i to go up there and not say nice things about how wonderful it is that they can all get together and get along, but they wanted her to go up there and read the Peace Statement. It was a great big flop. After a couple of pages of reading, she could tell the group was bored to death, and she stopped.

I think a guy like LH wouldn't do that. He'd probably be more like my friend that attends the regular meetings and just tries to be friends with the other people there... and not try to cram the Baha'i Faith down their throats. Tony sounds like that kind of guy also. He says he goes to Church meetings in his town. And that's just swell, but I think at some point any Baha'i is going to try and "teach" the Faith to those people.

So, what is the purpose of going to these meetings? For a Baha'i, I think it is to find potential converts.
Thanks. For the record, I don't doubt that LH and TS are nice people either. Most likely they'd be great neighbors, just as my LDS missionary young men were.

Yes, the temple I go to wouldn't just let anyone go to the Board of Trustee meetings either. The AGM is open though, but non-members can't vote.

Altfish

Veteran Member
This is an expenditure and may or may not be subject to taxation.
Depending on your locality, certain expenditures are subject to a sales tax.
It's possibly even a tax deduction for the donor, but there are stipulations to how much can be deducted/donated.

It's not, if you want to give food away and hope the charity of the locals will support you through donations.

Charging for the food will then qualify as collecting a revenue. Revenue is taxable income.
Do you realise that the likes of the Catholic Church and the church of England and two of the wealthiest institutions in the world? And they pay no tax. Is that fair?
If you are giving food away, then you have no income, thus owe no tax.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think you should put me on 'ignore'.
I would not people on ignore just because I don't like what they say about the Baha'i Faith.
In fact, I do not have anyone on ignore, although I ignore what some people post if I see it and am not interested in reading it.

Besides, I want to see what certain people are saying about my religion, especially if it is incorrect, since I feel it is my duty to correct it.

People who suggest to me putting them on ignore are usually people who don't want me to see what they are posting.
I don't go looking for their posts, I just see them while reading through the threads.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Fairness and law are not synonymous.

Churches - Catholic, LDS, Baptist, and otherwise - should be required to open their books to public scrutiny.
I strongly suspect that many of them would need a year or more to get them "straightened out" before allowing the public to browse them.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
The 'unwealthy' are being conned into giving their money.
I'm sure there are churches who misuse the donations that are given to them in good faith, though I know of many more that appropriate those funds into needy families within their communities.
Churches money/income is mainly from donations from their congregation.
Which the congregation earned as taxable income. Whether their gesture of kindness was the result of a dubious con, or a righteous cause, is a matter of opinion... To which we are each entitled.

ppp

I strongly suspect that many of them would need a year or more to get them "straightened out" before allowing the public to browse them.
I sincerely doubt there is world enough and time to disguise the hording of wealth by the larger denominations.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
Fairness and law are not synonymous.

Churches - Catholic, LDS, Baptist, and otherwise - should be required to open their books to public scrutiny.
If there is suspicion of money laundering, embezzlement, etcetera... I would hope it get reported sooner than later. At which point, the books be splayed open.

But that's not to say it doesn't happen...

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do churches not also provide a service?
Churches provide the opportunity to worship as a community, classes, and a place for fellowship. Their pastors are available for counseling, and they will often provide aid if you are in need. All this requires certain expenses: a mortgage, utilities, and salaries for the staff. If a person is making use of these things, then in all fairness they should contribute.

In Christianity, the contribution is voluntary, although there are some churches that recommend 10% of your income.

In Judaism, the modern tradition is to pay for a yearly membership at the synagogue. There is usually a standard amount that is recommended, but in reality, the wealthier are expected to pay more, and accommodations' are made for congregants that need a reduction in the fee (or to have it waved altogether).

I don't know what the traditions are for Islam or Hinduism, or anyone else.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I would not people on ignore just because I don't like what they say about the Baha'i Faith.
In fact, I do not have anyone on ignore, although I ignore what some people post if I see it and am not interested in reading it.

Besides, I want to see what certain people are saying about my religion, especially if it is incorrect, since I feel it is my duty to correct it.

People who suggest to me putting them on ignore are usually people who don't want me to see what they are posting.
I don't go looking for their posts, I just see them while reading through the threads.
It was sarcasm. See post 40. Nor do I put people on ignore, and never would, for similar reasons. The only reason I got involved with discussing Baha'i in the first place was to correct misconceptions I read about Hinduism. So I do get your point. And I don't go looking for contrary posts either. Have a great rest of the day. It has warmed to -27C now.

ppp

If there is suspicion of money laundering, embezzlement, etcetera... I would hope it get reported sooner than later. At which point, the books be splayed open.
What you would hope is your business. But the fact of the matter is that churches are demonstrably corrupt - both historically and currently and to a far, far greater degree than financial peccadillos.

But even if there were no such evidence, there is no reason to treat religious organization any differently than any other non-profit organization. Like the other non profits they should be required to provide transparency of their financial activities and a demonstration that the monies are going towards their stated mission purpose. That they are in compliance with fundraising statutes. And they they obey the same restrictions on lobbying and political funding as any other non profit.

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
It was in reference to the 19 day feasts, I think. Maybe Didymus knows. Yes I know I could go to the temples. They get a ton of tourists. In fact, the one in India is second only to akshardam.
The 19 day feast is for the community. The devotional and social part can be attended by people that are not Baha'i, but the Administrative part is for the Baha'i.

So there is the option if there are people that are not Bahai attending, have the feast and leave out one of the main Bahai aspects of the feast, or ask the people that are not Baha'i to wait while the Administrative part is completed. Both of those options are not ideal, so many communities will hold the feasts Baha'i only.

In the end, there are many communuty functions organised that everyone can attend, so it is logical to hold the feast for the Baha'i only, as the cause needs to address all the administrative requirements and in the larger communities, that can take some time.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

One Planet, One People, Please!
Premium Member
Baha'is also do not advertise and that is one reason so few people even know about the Baha'i Faith.
I wish the Baha'is would spend their money for advertising. If they did there would probably be more Baha'is by now.
Back in the 80's the faith did run a limited advertising campaign. In the end the dollar value was the killer, so few people trying to so so much, with so little.

That has not really changed, so few to do so much, with so little.

Here are a few Adds. You can find a few on YouTube if you search for Bahai TV Advertisements.

Regards Tony

Last edited:

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Firstly I am only referring to the major religions.

Next I’m speaking of accepting the Founder and the spiritual teachings such as virtues and prayer etc not the laws. The administration of each faith would remain.

So Christians would accept Buddha and Muhammad, Buddhists would accept Christ and Baha’is etc

And instead of segregating ourselves in our own churches, pagodas, temples and synagogues, we would visit each others places of worship to meditate and pray together. We Baha’is already do this and read from all the sacred scriptures of each religion in all our services.

In this way we can celebrate our diversity. I think in many places this is happening and also interfaith breaking down barriers. I myself I accept all the major religions and their Founders and Holy Books and find this enriches me greatly. So I read something Christ or Buddha said and it’s a great experience. Christ says to love and Buddha says to fight hate with love and that the greatest of all conquerors is he who conquers his own self. So much wisdom from all these faiths. Why should we deprive ourselves.? If you have any favourite verses please feel most welcome to share them.
It's an interesting thread, for me not because of the ideas presented but the negative reactions generated.

The whole idea of gaining inspiration from reading scripture from various world religions or attending an event at another's place of worship is just an integral part of multiculturalism. I might eat Turkisk one night and an Indian curry the next. I may read verses from the Quran one day and then from the Christian Bible the next.

I have no desire to stay within the confines of any one cultural tradition. Obviously not everyone feels the same.

Mark Charles Compton

Pineal Peruser
What you would hope is your business. But the fact of the matter is that churches are demonstrably corrupt - both historically and currently and to a far, far greater degree than financial peccadillos.

But even if there were no such evidence, there is no reason to treat religious organization any differently than any other non-profit organization. Like the other non profits they should be required to provide transparency of their financial activities and a demonstration that the monies are going towards their stated mission purpose. That they are in compliance with fundraising statutes. And they they obey the same restrictions on lobbying and political funding as any other non profit.

The requirements you think should be applied to them, are. Well, are supposed to be.. The justice department and internal revenue service are responsible for ensuring all parties are toeing the line, and I have little faith of the integrity of any of these institutions if I'm being honest.

Where my faith lies, is within the people who congregate together in the name of hope. I have faith in people, not the institutions the people support. I think we can find a way to share with one another just fine. If anyone, I think it's these institutions that have the problem with people becoming closer through intercommunal relations.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It's an interesting thread, for me not because of the ideas presented but the negative reactions generated.

The whole idea of gaining inspiration from reading scripture from various world religions or attending an event at another's place of worship is just an integral part of multiculturalism. I might eat Turkisk one night and an Indian curry the next. I may read verses from the Quran one day and then from the Christian Bible the next.

I have no desire to stay within the confines of any one cultural tradition. Obviously not everyone feels the same.
Its interesting that you seem to think that is the part that's being objected to as opposed to say - the proposed acceptance of Baha'i dogma that seems implicit.

Plenty of non-religious people and atheists/agnostics are widely read in scriptures and have tried different foods so I dont see why you imagine that is the source of their objections to threads like these.