• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is God?

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
God is similar to the concept of infinity in math and science. Infinity is a useful concept but it does not exist in space-time reality. You can never reach infinity or else it becomes a finite amount, thereby disproving the concept.
Nonsensical assertion.

The concept of space-time connects space and time, like two people in a three legged race. The tether of space-time places limits on both space and time since they need to work together. Space-time place limits on the universe that we call the law of physics and the speed of light. Say we were to remove the tether of the three legged race of space-time, so we have independent space and independent time. The two runners are now both free to run free style. Both can now exceed the limits of the three legged race, in speed and grace, since they do not have to coordinate and are therefore are not restricted by the laws of Physics than govern space-time. Mathematically we are getting closer to God and infinity.
Scientifically and mathematically illiterate nonsense.

Speed and position are expressions of time and space. Speed needs time to be expressed and space needs distance. The easiest way to explain why time and space are not tethered properly in Heisenberg Experiments, the electron or photon are acting like space-time is separated not connected. It is not coordinating like is expected of the three legged race of space-time. In this case the sum of distance potential; independent space, and time potential; independent time, is not random, but the sum remain constant, and forms a reverse relationship. Space and time can become interchangeable at the quantum level. This opens more options. The smallest particle at the quantum level create forces that can reach infinity; alpha and omega.
Gibberish.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Man! You really hate the idea that God is a possibility, don't you.

Well, I don't hate that idea. But it is an open unknown, so if someone wants to, they can fill anything into it that they like.

So in effect I am religious, but not the supernatural variant as my faith is that objective reality is fair, real, orderly and knowable in a non-personal way.

PureX

Veteran Member
Well, I don't hate that idea. But it is an open unknown, so if someone wants to, they can fill anything into it that they like.
I agree. Especially if we find it helpful to do so, as a great many people do.
So in effect I am religious, but not the supernatural variant as my faith is that objective reality is fair, real, orderly and knowable in a non-personal way.
I am not religious though I do borrow some of their ideas, occasionally, when they work.

Madsaac

What is God? What's God's nature/existence?
Something in one's imagination, often derived from society (Often thousands of years a go)
Why does God exist instead of not exist?
To make people feel better about themselves and understand the world
That said, perhaps the one common denominator for this particular sort of relationship is gods are that which are fundamentally greater. Because powers and forces that are greater-than-human exist, relationships with these powers (gods) exist as well.
And here seems to be a problem, god's forces and powers seemingly greater than human................it might seem like that, but they're not

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
And here seems to be a problem, god's forces and powers seemingly greater than human................it might seem like that, but they're not
There's no "seeming" about it. Explain to me how you, as a human, are not 100% dependent on things other than yourself for your continued existence and flourishing. That's a rhetorical question, obviously - it can't be done. Humans are not omnimax entities and to think otherwise is a hubristic delusion of the highest order. So much so I can't even take it at all seriously.

Last edited:

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Since the universe is finite there must be an infinite aboutness out there in the great beyond. The infinite aboutness may be called God since our very existence comes from it.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Since the universe is finite there must be an infinite aboutness out there in the great beyond. The infinite aboutness may be called God since our very existence comes from it.

Yeah, but that is all if you believe in calling it God. Nothing else about God follows from that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The Alpha and the Omega. The infinite and eternal. Closer to us than our own heartbeat, more distant than the farthest star. The source of love, the breath in our lungs, the fire in the equations. The Spirit of the Universe, the Lord, the giver of life. All these things and many many more…
Sounds like what I got out of my cereal box when I was a kid.

Madsaac

There's no "seeming" about it. Explain to me how you, as a human, are not 100% dependent on things other than yourself for your continued existence and flourishing. That's a rhetorical question, obviously - it can't be done. Humans are not omnimax entities and to think otherwise is a hubristic delusion of the highest order. So much so I can't even take it at all seriously.

No, I think humans are not omnimax and are a part of a complex set of systems/organisms, nothing more or less.

You said '....the one common denominator for this particular sort of relationship is gods are that which are fundamentally greater. Because powers and forces that are greater-than-human exist, relationships with these powers (gods) exist as well.'

But when humans start to think there is something greater then themselves, god, then we may lose sight of the fact that we are just a small part of a well balanced universe.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
No, I think humans are not omnimax and are a part of a complex set of systems/organisms, nothing more or less.

You said '....the one common denominator for this particular sort of relationship is gods are that which are fundamentally greater. Because powers and forces that are greater-than-human exist, relationships with these powers (gods) exist as well.'

But when humans start to think there is something greater then themselves, god, then we may lose sight of the fact that we are just a small part of a well balanced universe.
Huh? Accepting there are powers and forces vastly greater than humanity inherently makes one recognize humanity is just a small part of the universe. I'm not at all following your reasoning here. It sounds you're talking about anthropocentrism, not acceptance of the gods. Anthropocentrism absolutely does what you say here - makes one loose sight of the fact that there are higher powers greater than humanity and that the universe doesn't revolve around humans. Not sure why you seem to be mixing up anthropocentrism and acceptance of the gods (aka, that which is greater)

Madsaac

Huh? Accepting there are powers and forces vastly greater than humanity inherently makes one recognize humanity is just a small part of the universe. I'm not at all following your reasoning here. It sounds you're talking about anthropocentrism, not acceptance of the gods. Anthropocentrism absolutely does what you say here - makes one loose sight of the fact that there are higher powers greater than humanity and that the universe doesn't revolve around humans. Not sure why you seem to be mixing up anthropocentrism and acceptance of the gods (aka, that which is greater)

No, I didn't say humans are more important then anything else, I said they are just as important as everything else, part of a balanced universe.

And I don't recognise there are powers and forces greater than humanity (unless referring to literal meaning of natural forces) because those forces contradict the idea of balance.

RestlessSoul

When humans think there is nothing greater than themselves, they may begin to play God, and declare themselves masters of the universe. Yet we are not even masters of our own lives, and until we can accept that reality we can never be at peace with ourselves or with the world.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, I didn't say humans are more important then anything else, I said they are just as important as everything else, part of a balanced universe.

And I don't recognise there are powers and forces greater than humanity (unless referring to literal meaning of natural forces) because those forces contradict the idea of balance.

Please eplain what the balance is and give evidence for it?

Madsaac

When humans think there is nothing greater than themselves, they may begin to play God, and declare themselves masters of the universe. Yet we are not even masters of our own lives, and until we can accept that reality we can never be at peace with ourselves or with the world.

Why, what do you think is greater than humans?

Madsaac

Well, the rest of the universe put limits on human control and to do. That could be considered greater. I do.
No I don't think the universe is greater, we are just part of the universe, our place is where we are.

So you think humanity is greater than an ant colony for example?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No I don't think the universe is greater, we are just part of the universe, our place is where we are.

So you think humanity is greater than an ant colony for example?

I don't think such questions have any evidence.
The claim of greater is in effect a form of existentional coping and psychology.