• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hell?

smokydot

so do you think sheol, hades and gehenna mean exactly the same thing?
No.
Sheol is Hebrew word for death, grave.
Hades is Greek word for death, grave.
Gehenna is Greek word for hell.
are you sure it didnt exist before the NT???
Of course it did, or Christ couldn't have revealed it to us.
I believe it did not originate from jesus.
That means you don't believe the Bible.
I do, and so we will never come to agreement on this, or anything else where you are not in agreement with the Bible.
That the Bible is true is a matter of faith.
I think your missing the point, it was a name of a place that was later renamed "hell".
No, the Valley is still Gehenna in Greek, and Gehinnom (Valley of Hinnom) in Hebrew.
It has not been renamed.
"twisted"
You think that, because the Greek Gehenna and the Hebrew Gehinnom translate as "hell" in english, that it was called hell from its beginning.
No english word was applied to it in the OT. It was known only as Gehinnom.
Nor was an english word applied to it in the NT. It was known only as Gehenna.
It didn't become hell until the first english translation of the Bible, over a millennium later.

Where Hebrew is spoken, the Valley is Gehinnom.
Where Greek is spoken, the Valley is Gehenna.
Where English is spoken, the Valley goes by its Greek name, Gehenna.

And you'll have to do better than Wikipedia for me.
It is not authoritative on any matters which it treats.

Gehenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Valley of Hinnom, c. 1900

Does this look like hell??????????

Gehenna, gehinnam, or gehinnom are terms derived from a geographical site in Jerusalem known as the Valley of Hinnom

Jewish folklore suggests the valley had a 'gate' which led down to a molten lake of fire.

keyword "folklore"
Keyword: "Wikipedia"
You'll have to do better than Wikipedia for me.
It is not authoritative on any matter which it treats, particularly in matters of Jewish history and Scripture.

In my opinion, This folklore of gehenna is what started the hell myth that the NT uses. That and the hades myth and sheol which means grave.
It wasn't called "hell" until over 1,000 years after Jesus' death.
"Hades" is Greek for death/grave, and is not a myth.
The only myth here is your belief that hell is a myth.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Because I have a personal relationship with the one that created hell.

How do you know you have a personal relationship with the one who created it?

If you do, ask him why he made it in the first place.
Ask why he doesn't just destroy those whom he deems hell-worthy. Ask why they have to suffer.
Ask why there is evil.

If you seriously did have a personal relationship with the one who created hell (and the world and universe at large) then wouldn't it be useful to ask him some of the important questions, like why are we here, why is there suffering, why did he make hell, and so on?

Him referring you to a book does not show a personal relationship by the way, it shows a professional or business relationship at best (providing there was evidence said entity exists in the first place). It's like saying "I have a good friendship with my friend Charles, he's a businessman. Hey, Charles. Why does your business have tax-exempt status?" "Well mister enquirer, just read my new book, you will find your answers in there. Would you like a signed copy?".

Lucifer in training, that guy. ;)
Hehheh. :D

Erebus

Heaven and Hell are highly subjective. Put simply I don't believe in absolute Heaven or Hell, instead I think we find a little bit of both throughout our existence, Heaven being accomplishing our desires and existing as we wish to and Hell being our failures, our restrictions and our inhibitions.

As for an afterlife, I don't believe any single state lasts eternally. I think that we will go through periods of oblivion and periods of life in various forms. It is the latter state that allows us to taste Heaven and Hell. I certainly don't believe Hell to be an eternity of pure torment and Heaven to be an eternity of pure bliss.

smokydot

How do you know you have a personal relationship with the one who created it?
If you do, ask him why he made it in the first place.
Ask why he doesn't just destroy those whom he deems hell-worthy. Ask why they have to suffer.
Ask why there is evil.
If you seriously did have a personal relationship with the one who created hell (and the world and universe at large) then wouldn't it be useful to ask him some of the important questions, like why are we here, why is there suffering, why did he make hell, and so on?
Him referring you to a book does not show a personal relationship by the way, it shows a professional or business relationship at best (providing there was evidence said entity exists in the first place). It's like saying "I have a good friendship with my friend Charles, he's a businessman. Hey, Charles. Why does your business have tax-exempt status?" "Well mister enquirer, just read my new book, you will find your answers in there. Would you like a signed copy?".
Hehheh. :D
Answers to those are found in the Word of God, written.
But you won't like them.

ellenjanuary

Answers to those are found in the Word of God, written.
But you won't like them.

I have to ask, are you a prophet? Because, technically, only a prophet can interpret scripture. When you say, "Jesus said," are you sure? Guy spoke Armenian, seems to be the general consensus; guy surely didn't speak a relatively modern language such as English, with its abundance of idiom and jargon. Besides, it's one thing for Jesus and His Apostles to speak of eternity, quite another for a man with a Bible to talk of damning others. Only god can damn, did you read that part?

And if you're a prophet, speaking of the Abyss; I've read about you in 2 Thessalonians. I got nuffink to say to you... :D

Last edited:

smokydot

I have to ask, are you a prophet? Because, technically, only a prophet can interpret scripture.
The notion that only a prophet can "interpret" Scripture is nowhere found in either the OT or the NT.
Plain words do not need "interpretation." They are self-evident.
When you say, "Jesus said," are you sure? Guy spoke Armenian, seems to be the general consensus; guy surely didn't speak a relatively modern language such as English, with its abundance of idiom and jargon.
You either believe the Protestant Canon, or you don't.
I do, evidently you don't.
It's a matter of faith, not proof.
Besides, it's one thing for Jesus and His Apostles to speak of eternity, quite another for a man with a Bible to talk of damning others. Only god can damn, did you read that part?
It's the Word of God written that damns, not me.
It's not my job to damn.
And if you're a prophet, speaking of the Abyss; I've read about you in 2 Thessalonians. I got nuffink to say to you... :D
That's your idea, not mine.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
this is just simple history, by argueing with me your possibily missing out on allot of details of how the word hell comes into play. "its historical origin"

"Hades" is Greek for death/grave, and is not a myth.

I believe your very mistaken again.

Hades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In older Greek myths, the realm of Hades is the misty and gloomy abode of the dead

Later Greek philosophy introduced the idea that all mortals are judged after death and are either rewarded or cursed

In Greek mythology, Hades (the "unseen"), the god of the underworld.

This pagen myth where people are judged came BEFORE the bible and I believe IT IS the same myth that the christians used to create there hell, thats why they took the word.

As I believe They also took gehenna "a place" and turned it into hell.

I will agree that sheol was a term grave or dirt pit, and at a later time used hades myth as a parrallel meaning, which is common knowledge.

You do know the bible is not a complete history book and it only gives us a glimpse of the past???????????

Christ couldn't have revealed it to us.

I believe christ did not reveal it to us, it was revealed in the OT

Gehenna is Greek word for hell.
sir do you contradict youself in every forum?????
No, the Valley is still Gehenna in Greek, and Gehinnom (Valley of Hinnom) in Hebrew.

in the above statement you call in valley and hell. which do you really believe????

the way the OT gives its meaning

Gehenna is not Hell, but rather a sort of purgatory where one is judged based on his or her life's deeds

I somehow find it hard that you cannot grasp history comes from somehwere else besides the bible.

And who would you be to discount wikipedia???

That means you don't believe the Bible.

That has nothing to do with my beliefs, this is common knowledge, it is just simple history.

That the Bible is true is a matter of faith.

I believe that you may be typical and pick and choose what parts of the bible you "have faith in" or believe. Does in not say in the NT not to discount the OT??? yet you do not follow all of those ancient rules, thus breaking the laws of the NT.

Last edited:

smokydot

this is just simple history, by argueing with me your possibily missing out on allot of details of how the word hell comes into play. "its historical origin"
I believe your very mistaken again.
Hades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In older Greek myths, the realm of Hades is the misty and gloomy abode of the dead
Later Greek philosophy introduced the idea that all mortals are judged after death and are either rewarded or cursed
In Greek mythology, Hades (the "unseen"), the god of the underworld.
This pagen myth where people are judged came BEFORE the bible and I believe IT IS the same myth that the christians used to create there hell, thats why they took the word.
The Christians didn't "create" hell. Jesus is the one who spoke of it most in the NT.
I believe the NT is the Word of God written.
Evidently, you don't.
All your "history" will not change that for me.
It's a matter of faith.
As I believe They also took gehenna "a place" and turned it into hell.
I will agree that sheol was a term grave or dirt pit, and at a later time used hades myth as a parrallel meaning, which is common knowledge.
You do know the bible is not a complete history book and it only gives us a glimpse of the past???????????
I believe christ did not reveal it to us, it was revealed in the OT
sir do you contradict youself in every forum?????
in the above statement you call in valley and hell. which do you really believe????
the way the OT gives its meaning
Gehenna is not Hell, but rather a sort of purgatory where one is judged based on his or her life's deeds
I somehow find it hard that you cannot grasp history comes from somehwere else besides the bible.
[quote}And who would you be to discount wikipedia???
One who knows how it is composed.
That has nothing to do with my beliefs, this is common knowledge, it is just simple history.
I believe that you may be typical and pick and choose what parts of the bible you "have faith in" or believe. Does in not say in the NT not to discount the OT??? yet you do not follow all of those ancient rules, thus breaking the laws of the NT.
The NT letter written to the Hebrews does a thorough job of explaining to the Jews why under the new covenant, the regulations of the old covenant no longer apply.
Study it.

Last edited:

smokydot

Check your post #52.

You don't think it was cocky to suggest that I pick and choose which Scriptures I believe?

That suggestion, which I refuted from the book of Hebrews, is what drew the comment from me which you see as making me a "cocky fellow."
If you knew the book of Hebrews, you would not have said I didn't believe the OT.
So, don't you think you need to study Hebrews?

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You don't think it was cocky to suggest that I pick and choose which Scriptures I believe?
No, I think it was cocky of you to say "Study it." to someone. That, or an incredibly arrogant statement to make.

If you knew the book of Hebrews, you would not have said I didn't believe the OT.
So, don't you think you need to study Hebrews?

First off, don't assume I do not know the book of Hebrews. Do not assume I have not studied it. You don't really know anything about me, son, so it's not very wise or informed of you to suggest to me to study your scripture.

This is not a competition, but so you understand that I'm not some ignoramus who has never even picked up a Bible in my life, before you start telling me I need to study your religious texts, you should understand this: I've read the Quran, Bible (OT and NT--with study aid, read through NT in KJV, NIV, CEV versions), Sri Guru Granth Sahib (and by extension of this, Amritbani Guru Ravidass Ji), Rig Veda, the Book of Mormon (including Words of Wisdom), the Bhagavad Gita and even the Tao Te Ching from cover to cover, as well as reading some of the Book of the Dead, and the Heart and Lotus Sutras. I've also read some of the Gathas, and a little bit of the Kitáb-i-Aqdas but not much of either of these, and am hoping to read the Avesta and to read through the whole Sri Dasam Granth.

Hope that cleared that up.

Last edited:
I believe hell is created along with heaven... on earth
It is based on how people live.
Violence and discord = hell
Peace and harmony = heaven