• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is Hell?

smokydot

the 'horrible place' that Jesus spoke about was 'the grave'
there is no suffering in the grave...in fact when we die we naturally say 'rest in peace' because people who go to their graves are 'resting' they are at 'peace'
The interpreting of the grave/hell/hades/sheol to mean anything except the grave is false and misleading. The church's adopted such sinister ideas during the darkages to frighten people, to control people and because they had reverted to pagan ideas because many came from pagan religions.
Those sinister ideas are found in the gospels.

Then why did Jesus sacrifice himself to keep those who believe in him from having to go there because of God's just wrath on their sin?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Those sinister ideas are found in the gospels.

Then why did Jesus sacrifice himself to keep those who believe in him from having to go there because of God's just wrath on their sin?

think about what you are saying

Jesus came to earth and died so that people dont have to go to hell.

Tell me, what about all the people who lived before Jesus came and gave his life? Where did they go to before Jesus made another option available?
Did they all go to some place of fiery torment because they were sinners and there was no other option for them?

I think not.

hell is the grave...its what the original words mean. Can we be saved from the grave? yes we can. The bible in both the old and new testaments speak of everlasting 'life'
Revelation says that 'death will be no more'
It says that death & hades is hurled into the lake of fire.

the end of death is how Jesus will save us from the grave.

smokydot

think about what you are saying
Jesus came to earth and died so that people dont have to go to hell.
Tell me, what about all the people who lived before Jesus came and gave his life? Where did they go to before Jesus made another option available?
Did they all go to some place of fiery torment because they were sinners and there was no other option for them?
I think not.
hell is the grave...its what the original words mean. Can we be saved from the grave? yes we can. The bible in both the old and new testaments speak of everlasting 'life'
Revelation says that 'death will be no more'
It says that death & hades is hurled into the lake of fire.
the end of death is how Jesus will save us from the grave.
All the dead will be raised at the general resurrection and will be alive to face the Final Judgment.

What happens to the condemned (goats) then?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
All the dead will be raised at the general resurrection and will be alive to face the Final Judgment.

What happens to the condemned (goats) then?

“These will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.” Matthew 25:46.

unlike those who have the hope of a resurrection to life, the goats will have no hope of living again. They will be cut-off from life forever. Death is the opposite to life. In life we are conscious, in death we are unconscious.

smokydot

“These will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.” Matthew 25:46.

unlike those who have the hope of a resurrection to life, the goats will have no hope of living again. They will be cut-off from life forever. Death is the opposite to life. In life we are conscious, in death we are unconscious.
My dear Pegg,

That is not orthodox Christianity.
That is a foreign methodology and exegesis from outside orthodox Christianity that is being imposed on the NT.

smokydot

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
My dear Pegg,

That is not orthodox Christianity.
That is a foreign methodology and exegesis from outside orthodox Christianity that is being imposed on the NT.

smokydot

its foreign to you because orthodox christianity do not teach from the bible.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The NT says it comes from him.
That's why he voluntarily submitted to such a cruel death--to save those who believe in him from the wrath of God which they are under for their sin.
If there is no hell, he didn't need to die to save those who believe in him from that horrible place.
If those who are there are unconscious, dead or annihilated, why die to keep anyone from having to go there?
Your view of hell is not that of orthodox Christianity.

Isn't there a difference between the Pagan hell and the Bible hell?

So, it isn't that there is no hell, but that there is no suffering in hell.

Didn't Jesus go to hell? Acts 2vs27,31?

Jesus believed while in hell [gravedom] he would be in a deep sleep like state until God resurrected him.
[John 11vs11-14; Psalm 6v5; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4;Ecc 9v5; Daniel 12vs2,13]

outhouse

Atheistically

Jesus believed while in hell [gravedom] he would be in a deep sleep like state until God resurrected him.
[John 11vs11-14; Psalm 6v5; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4;Ecc 9v5; Daniel 12vs2,13]

sounds like one of the many contradictions in the bible to me.

in my opinion, we have known all along the hell transpired from sheol meaning grave and hades a myth regarding the underworld and gehenna a burning dump, all three get lumped into hell of the NT. Hell evolved biblicaly

outhouse

Atheistically

I think which pagen myth would help to get your answer.

in all honesty very little is know of hell. The word hell and its many other names are not used that much in the bible. Most times its describes more as a place then being descriptive. Lakes of fire are used and burning fires that cant be quenched.

johannes

I have asked myself this question many times.
What I used to think of Hell is a place of evil, a lack of love. A place where bad people go who are tortured for the rest of their lives.
After reading a few articles online and peoples point of view on Hell, I have mixed messages.
1) Is that Hell is not a place, it's when you live a bad life sinning, without remorse etc and then dieing as an atheist person believes.
2) Hell has been created after Heaven for a place for people who lived a life of sinning etc, except it's just a place without God, it didn't really describe Hell as a negative place.

It's hard to explain what I've read.

What is Hell really?
we are in hell. God only made two places; heaven and heel.
As you say; we are without God.
we cant deny; it is not God ruling on earth.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
What is Hell really?
An ardent golfer dies and finds himself in hell.
He is greeted by the devil.
"This way, sir," says the devil, "the finest tournament-quality 18 holes you are likely to find this side of Augusta."
The golfer looks around and agrees that it is the finest course he has ever seen.
"So," he says to the devil, "why don't you go get me some clubs and balls and I'll have the game of my after-life."
"I'm sorry, sir, we don't have any."
"What?" says the man. "No balls or clubs for a fine course like this?"
"No, sir," says the devil fiendishly, "that's the hell of it."

smokydot

I don't know anything about paganism.

That's not what Jesus said.
The word in the original language of the NT used in those verses is hades, which is Greek for death, grave, pit.
It is not the word for hell, which in Greek is Gehenna.
Jesus was not abandoned to the grave, per the prophecy of the psalmist.
[John 11vs11-14;
That text tells us nothing of what Jesus believed about his own death, as the sinless Son of God, it tells us only about Lazarus' death.
Psalm 6v5; 13v3; 115v17; 146v4;Ecc 9v5; Daniel 12vs2,13]
We cannot translate the death of sinful men into the death of the sinless Christ.
We know of Jesus' death only what the Scriptures tell us of Jesus' death, not anyone else's.

outhouse

Atheistically
The word in the original language of the NT used in those verses is hades

since hades was a myth long before the NT used it, does that mean hell is a myth???

also a physical place before the NT used it.

might as well ad the jewish term sheol to the mix, now this was the original term of grave, or dirt pit.

like the pagens who incorporated previous myths into there religion it seems christianity did the same exact thing.

outhouse

Atheistically
heres a passage from daniel

12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

here is an early refference to heaven and hell simply meaning grave for hell.

funny the god of the OT simple means hell as a grave where one sleeps [imagine that]

smokydot

since hades was a myth long before the NT used it, does that mean hell is a myth???
Hades is death, grave, pit. . .which is not a myth.
also a physical place before the NT used it.
Yes, it was a physical place of continual burning, and a most fitting name to give hell.

Just as Coon is a most fitting name to give my dog because of the markings on his face which make his eyes look masked like my neighbor's pet coon, named Coon.
But because I named him after Coon does not mean my dog does not actually exist because he is not a coon.
Likewise, just because Jesus named hell after Gehenna, the perpetually burning city dump, does not mean hell does not actually exist because it is not the perpetually burning city dump.
might as well ad the jewish term sheol to the mix, now this was the original term of grave, or dirt pit.
We are dealing with two languages here.
In Greek, hades is death, grave, pit.
In Hebrew, sheol is death, grave, pit.
Two different languages, two different words, both meaning the same thing. . .which is not a myth.

Now move forward to the NT, which was written in Greek.
When Jesus gave a name to the place of eternal fire, he used Gehenna, naming it after the perpetually burning city dump.
It was not the city dump, it was simply named after the city dump. . .like my dog is not a coon, he is simply named after a coon.
like the pagens who incorporated previous myths into there religion it seems christianity did the same exact thing.
Hades and sheol are not myths. They are death, grave, pit.
Nor is Gehenna a myth. . .it is the city dump after which hell was named in the Greek.
Sheol, Hades and Gehenna are not myths. . .and never were.

Last edited:

smokydot

heres a passage from daniel

12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

here is an early refference to heaven and hell simply meaning grave for hell.

funny the god of the OT simple means hell as a grave where one sleeps [imagine that]
No. . ."sleep" in this verse is sheol, which is death, it is not hell.

The "shame and everlasting contempt" are hell, but there is no one word for it there, because it did not have a name until Jesus gave it one in the NT.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
Hades is death, grave, pit. . .which is not a myth

I believe your very wrong again

hades was a myth for the underworld a long time before the bible uses it as a term for hell or grave.

this has already been posted why you argue the origin of the word is beyond me.

Hades - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Greek mythology, Hades was considered to be the oldest male child of Cronus and Rhea. According to myth, he and his brothers Zeus and Poseidon defeated the Titans and claimed rulership over the universe ruling the underworld

ITS A MYTH.

Hades and sheol are not myths. They are death, grave, pit.

wrong again see above.

sheol however is not a myth and you do have the meaning right this time.

No. . ."sleep" in this verse is sheol, which is death, it is not hell.

I see you want it both ways. daniel is talking about death and the place one goes after according to "your" god. So what your saying is when the NT came our "your" god made a new heaven and hell???? daniel is talking about your gods life after death is he not???

outhouse

Atheistically
When Jesus gave a name to the place of eternal fire, he used Gehenna, naming it after the perpetually burning city dump.
It was not the city dump, it was simply named after the city dump

so now jesus is making things up, the son of god has to copy a place here on earth to call hell????

to say it is not THE city dump is your interpetation only, is this correct???

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
so now jesus is making things up, the son of god has to copy a place here on earth to call hell????
to say it is not THE city dump is your interpetation only, is this correct???

Did Jesus call hell as hell, or was it already called hell?

In the Hebrew hell is sheol
In the Greek hell is hades/ haides

'Gehenna' is Not either sheol or hades, but the garbage dump outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed instead of kept burning forever.

That is why the word Gehenna often translated as hellfire is really a fitting symbol for destruction.