• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is life?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Life is gods and goddesses gift to humans and animals so animals and humans can have amazing spiritual journey. Some lifes are really long. Some are really sort. All lifes are actually really amazing and wondeful even if humans dont always see that way. Myself i see life always as a gift even if i am bored or sad. If i see something sad i pray and try to hope good for everybody. When i look to nature or life in my eyes i see something very cool, very amazing, very wondeful, something i cant say in any words because its made from psykedelic rock or psytrance or something. Life is very weird and amazing. That is why i love life so much i still eat meat because death is part of life on earth. God wanted it that way.

God wanted ' everlasting life ' ( Not everlasting death ) for mankind.
If Adam had Not broken God's Law then Adam would still be alive on Earth today.
Jesus taught about ' everlasting life ' ( Not everlasting death ) for the humble meek to inherit the Earth - Matthew 5:5. Proverbs 2:21-22; Psalms 37:11; Psalms 37:29
If God wanted human death to be part of life on Earth, then God would Not have sent the pre-human Jesus to Earth to be a ransom from death for us - Matthew 20:28
Won't Jesus bring ' enemy death ' to nothing according to 1 Corinthians 15:24-26 ?________ - Isaiah 25:8

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What does the Bible say about why God would exist?

In Scripture, God is Not only Almighty God but Heavenly Father.
The word father means: life giver
So, one reason God exists is to give life.- Psalms 104:30
First to angelic creation, then material/physical creation.

Sonofason

Except that if people hadn't decided to call some organisms alive life wouldn't exist. There is no such thing as "life". We have just made a list of things and say that organisms who can do those things are "alive". Are you confusing "consciousness" with "life"?
You say there is no life. I'd like to see you prove that statement. I know that life does exist.
And I don't get confused about anything. But if you're right about life, then there is nothing wrong with murder, as murder is the unlawful taking of another persons life. Now if you are not alive, Someone ought to be permitted to cut off your head without consequence. And now, thanks to you, I believe since you are not alive, that'd be just fine.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I know how time consuming it can be to keep up to the the posts. Not to worry.
Except, I was really only talking about geology and astronomy. Genesis doesn't use those terms, of course, as those sciences clearly did not exist in the Bronze Age, but the formation of the stars, Sun, Moon, and Earth, can only be understood though modern study. Genesis has nothing to offer in that regard except myth.
And, by the way, do you know why the planets are not given mention in the creation account? It is because the planets figured prominently in Canaanite religion and the priestly authors of Genesis wanted to avoid any mention of them. Interesting, eh? At least that is one hypothesis. Had you ever wondered why the planets never received mention in Genesis? I had always wondered about that, and about the absence of dinosaurs brought before Adam.
Oh, and there was an Adam in Canaanite mythology as well. I was astounded to learn that. He did battle against the serpent in the garden of the gods. The serpent was trying to destroy the Tree of Life. That Tree provided the fruit that gave the gods their immortality. I’d always wondered why God had placed such an important food in the garden if he didn’t want Adam to consume it? Why give it such a prominent place? In the Canaanite story, however, Adam is himself a god and more or less sacrifices himself to save the Tree of Life. During this selfless act he is bitten, poisoned, and nearly dies. The poison zaps him of his immortality, but the Tree at least is saved. As a reward El makes Adam a wife and allows them to live the rest of their days in the garden where Adam takes the role of grounds keeper. His wife is not named in the account, perhaps because that part of the story has been lost. I am not certain, but I think Adam and his wife are the first people in the world. This all sheds new light on the Garden of Eden story and tells us we are the descendants of the gods.

We are all descendants of Adam and Eve - Genesis 1:28, and we also all trace back to one on Noah's three sons, then back to Noah back to Adam.

Except for Earth, man named the other planets. Earth was named by God - Genesis 1:10
Moses is credited with Not only writing the first five Bible books but also the book of Job.
Job 9:8-9 mentions the Ash, Kesil, and Kimah constellations of the southern sky. - See also Job 38:31-32
Possibly the Great Bear constellation (Ursa Major). Possible Orion constellation. Possible the Pleiades stars in the Taurus constellation.

No dinosaurs were brought before Adam because they were long extinct before Adam's creation.

Mankind was given the ' tree of life ' it was the other tree of knowledge of good and bad that was forbidden.
Man lost access to the ' tree of life ' after sinning. Lost access to the tree of life because the forbidden tree carried with it the death penalty - Genesis 2:17
Please notice Revelation 22:2 because mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' on Earth for the healing of Earth's nations.
That is soon to take place when Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will usher in global Peace on Earth among man of goodwill.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Have you not seen the planets yourself Sonofason? Venus is far brighter than any star and is only rivaled by the Moon in the night sky. Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are very bright as well and figured prominently in Babylonian astrology, that by this time (I am quite sure), had spread to the Canaanites. Mercury was difficult to see, certainly, but not impossible and it was known. No, the Hebrews knew the planets, that is a certainty. The thing is the planets were gods to the Canaanites, and to name them in Genesis would necessitate placing the names of the Canaanite gods in holy scripture. For this reason they were not acknowledged in the creation account.
Regarding the Sun and Moon, they were not named either. Did you notice that? The Sun was referred to only as the "greater light" and the Moon as the "lesser light". The Hebrew people had names for the Sun and Moon, but again, these were probably the same names as used by the Canaanites, and most certainly they were gods in the Canaanite pantheon.

Yes, the Hebrews knew the planets, otherwise how does one explain what Moses wrote at Job 9:9; Job 38:31

What names did the Hebrew people have for the Sun and Moon ?
In Genesis the Sun is mentioned at Genesis 15:12; Genesis 15:17; Genesis 19:23; Genesis 28:11; Genesis 32:31; Genesis 37:9
In Genesis the Moon is mentioned at Genesis 37:9
Man, not God, chose the names.

Since God gave Earth to mankind - Psalms 115:16 - then man got to name animals and planets, etc.
The only planet Not named by man is planet Earth. God named Earth - Genesis 1:10

The Canaanites came into existence 'after' the Flood of Noah's day.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Specifically what caused the Big Bang to occur? It was caused by an interaction of sorts. :D

According to Scripture, God used his ' Power and Strength ' (His energy) to cause the Big Band to occur.
So, God supplied the abundantly needed high-density dynamic energy to create the material realm of existence -Job 38:4-6
- Isaiah 40:26; Jeremiah 10:12; Jeremiah 27:5; Jeremiah 32:17; Psalms 104:30; Psalms 147:5

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
What is life? Bull**** and suffering, mostly, with some brief moments of wonder and beauty. Then you die.

Right now, some brief moments of wonder and beauty then you die, but this worldly system is temporary, and soon to be replaced by a new permanent righteous system.
Under Christ's coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth enemy 'death will be NO more ' - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 21:4-5
No one will be suffering because: No one will say, " I am sick....." - Isaiah 33:24
Mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the purpose of healing Earth's nations - Revelation 22:2

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Right now, some brief moments of wonder and beauty then you die, but this worldly system is temporary, and soon to be replaced by a new permanent righteous system.
Under Christ's coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth enemy 'death will be NO more ' - 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8; Revelation 21:4-5
No one will be suffering because: No one will say, " I am sick....." - Isaiah 33:24
Mankind will see the return of the Genesis ' tree of life ' for the purpose of healing Earth's nations - Revelation 22:2
Go spew your Bible-babble to someone who gives a damn about it (I don't).

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
You say there is no life. I'd like to see you prove that statement. I know that life does exist.
And I don't get confused about anything. But if you're right about life, then there is nothing wrong with murder, as murder is the unlawful taking of another persons life. Now if you are not alive, Someone ought to be permitted to cut off your head without consequence. And now, thanks to you, I believe since you are not alive, that'd be just fine.

Such complex interactions we call "life" don't exist just everywhere in the universe. It is a rare phenomena which is as far as we know isolated to this one planet we call Earth. It doesn't matter if we are alive or not, we should try to preserve such rare interactions within nature rather than destroy them. I find your comment quite illogical.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
According to Scripture, God used his ' Power and Strength ' (His energy) to cause the Big Band to occur.
So, God supplied the abundantly needed high-density dynamic energy to create the material realm of existence -Job 38:4-6
- Isaiah 40:26; Jeremiah 10:12; Jeremiah 27:5; Jeremiah 32:17; Psalms 104:30; Psalms 147:5

What is this God you speak of? What does God look like? Where does God come from?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
In Scripture, God is Not only Almighty God but Heavenly Father.
The word father means: life giver
So, one reason God exists is to give life.- Psalms 104:30
First to angelic creation, then material/physical creation.

Specifically, how did this "God" come into existence in the first place? Where does God originate?

I have an answer to this...

God originated in the minds of men.

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism

There was obviously some sort of interaction which took place to cause the Big Bang, but a magical, omnipotent being? No...just...no. Man created gods, not the other way around.

Marsh

Maybe it's just simpler with a picture. If you want more pictures just search for "hebrew cosmology" in Google.

ancient-hebrew-conception-of-the-universe-cropped1.jpg
I've had this discussion with a number of creationists and try as I might I could not get them to see the words in front of their own eyes. When the Genesis account is carefully read this Hebrew cosmology jumps out at you, but some people only see what they want to see (and what they think they see is the world as it is now known). I've not had that discussion, thus far, with anyone at this forum, but I don't know that the end game would be any different.

Sonofason

There was obviously some sort of interaction which took place to cause the Big Bang, but a magical, omnipotent being? No...just...no. Man created gods, not the other way around.
I've had this discussion with a number of creationists and try as I might I could not get them to see the words in front of their own eyes. When the Genesis account is carefully read this Hebrew cosmology jumps out at you, but some people only see what they want to see (and what they think they see is the world as it is now known). I've not had that discussion, thus far, with anyone at this forum, but I don't know that the end game would be any different.
Same could be said of you...exactly. We try and try to point to the illogical conclusions of the atheist, and they just don't see it.

Marsh

Please show me your evidence that all life evolved from one single celled organism, and does that organism exist today?
May I recommend a book? The author is Francis Collins, lead scientist on the Human Genome Project. Collins is probably the leading geneticist in the United States, and his book, The Language of God, is a best seller and a very easy read. Collins is a Christian, an evangelical Christian, but he is 100% behind evolution of all life from a single cell. Some of the evidence he presents is pretty remarkable, but he believes God directed that evolution. There is no proof of divine intervention, and no proof against, but there is plenty of genetic support that humans evolved from lower life forms. There really is no denying it once you have seen the evidence, but if you are like Collins then it is no reason not to believe in God.