• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is spiritual enlightenment?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Do you imagine Adyashanti's comment to be true?
Nope, as trying to establish the truth is why so many people are deluded in this world; it is far easier to establish what is false.
So I've found that those statements add up in many places. ;)

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
In Buddhism when you are born you are born with "random" karma. You are not born with karma that you specifically racked up in a previous life but from a random accumulation of karma from the universe itself.

See the first paragraph here: The Thirty-one Planes of Existence

There are many references in the Buddhist suttas to beings re-appearing in different realms according to their actions, ie kamma.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
“Make no mistake about it – enlightenment is a destructive process. It has nothing to do with becoming better or being happier. Enlightenment is the crumbing away of untruth. It’s seeing through the façade of pretense. It’s the complete eradication of everything we imagine to be true”. - Adyashanti ;)

I think that is very likely true.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So, if you're engaging in spiritual practices in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, then you're engaging in mysticism.

If you say so.

Edited to add: however, that in no way means that the dictionary definition of mysticism that makes reference to God must be correct.

Last edited:

Midnight Rain

I don't know of any Buddhist schools which teach your "random karma" interpretation.
Don't really feel like tracking it down since I learned this from Buddhists first hand rather than from sources. If they are wrong then perhaps by view of Buddhism is wrong but from a quick internet search it seems to support my claim that there is no unified way to look at the reincarnation process.

But this is from the wiki.

Some English-speaking Buddhists prefer the term "rebirth" or "re-becoming" (Sanskrit: punarbhava; Pali: punabbhava) to "reincarnation" as they take the latter to imply a fixed entity that is reborn.[10] It is said to be the "evolving consciousness" (Pali: samvattanika viññana,M.1.256)[11][12] or "stream of consciousness" (Pali: viññana sotam, D.3.105) [13] that reincarnates. The early Buddhist texts make it clear that there is no permanent consciousness that moves from life to life.[14] The lack of a fixed self does not mean lack of continuity. In the same way that a flame is transferred from one candle to another, there is a conditioned relationship between one life and the next: they are neither identical nor completely distinct.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
@Midnight Rain : I may be mistaken, but it looks like you are trying to make rebirth fit into the reincarnation mold, thereby creating this perception of random karma.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm only relaying how it was explained to me.

It seems to me that you misunderstood. Or maybe someone else in the chain of transmission did. It happens all the time, and is one of the main reasons why it is so important to have personal access to qualified, trustworthy teachers.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In any case "random karma" is an oxymoron.

In a manner of speaking. If one comes from an expectation of personal karma, which is to say, of Atman existing, then of course the Buddhist take on karma will look "random" at least at first.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
So, if you're engaging in spiritual practices in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, then you're engaging in mysticism.
Consider 'yoga'. Some take it only as an exercise to clear the mind of clutter, so that they can concentrate on some problem. That is not mysticism.
Are you seeking spiritual enlightenment?
I sought answers to my questions by meditation to clear the mind and then thinking. Found them. Do not need meditation or any other process now. Would you term it as spiritual enlightenment. I think just 'enlightenment' (knowing, understanding) is enough to describe it, since I do not believe in spirits.

Last edited:

Gambit

Consider 'yoga'. Some take it only as an exercise to clear the mind of clutter, so that they can concentrate on some problem. That is not mysticism.

Agreed. But if you're engaging in spiritual practices in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, then you're engaging in mysticism.

I sought answers to my questions by meditation to clear the mind and then thinking. Found them. Do not need meditation or any other process now. Would you term it as spiritual enlightenment. I think just 'enlightenment' (knowing, understanding) is enough to describe it, since I do not believe in spirits.

No, I would not define it as spiritually enlightened. If you deny the reality of spirit, then you cannot be spiritually enlightened.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I would define spiritually enlightened as a higher state of consciousness.

OK, higher states of consciousness can be accessed in meditation for example, but how is that dependent on "spirit".

Earlier you said: "If you deny the reality of spirit, then you cannot be spiritually enlightened." That's why I asked for clarification.

Gambit

OK, higher states of consciousness can be accessed in meditation for example, but how is that dependent on "spirit".

Earlier you said: "If you deny the reality of spirit, then you cannot be spiritually enlightened." That's why I asked for clarification.

Spirit is consciousness.