• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is spiritual enlightenment?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I see, So, if we argue that "God" is a meaningless term, then we must also conclude that "spiritual enlightenment" is a meaningless term.

Actually no, because the word enlightenment is not a Abrahamic religion coined phrase. It's also used in Buddhism, of course; it could mean gaining full wisdom of the Law of life that is cause and effect--which can also interpret as life and death.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's gaining full wisdom which comes with experience, knowledge which comes with understanding, and peace which comes from living your inner self to where you are comfortable with what comes next in life while you live in the present and are grounded in the past. It's living your true nature of who you are rather than what you are. It could mean being One with God, your Buddha-Nature (Buddha), the Goddess, the Mystic Law. Anything or one that helps you bring yourself to life's full self and what it (or He or She) offers you in return.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Spiritual enlightenment appears to be inextricably-linked to mysticism.

And mysticism itself appears to be inextricably-linked to God.
I believe that through mystical experience, one gains freedom from illusion. And that Freedom, is what I call enlightenment. Not just freedom from an illusion, but all illusion.

Gambit

Actually no, because the word enlightenment is not a Abrahamic religion coined phrase. It's also used in Buddhism, of course; it could mean gaining full wisdom of the Law of life that is cause and effect--which can also interpret as life and death.

The term "God" is not a Abrahamic religion coined phrase.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Spirit is consciousness

Not really, spirit has a number of meanings, and conflating the two things muddies the water.

From your link above:
The word spirit is often used metaphysically to refer to the consciousness or personality. The notions of a person's spirit and soul often also overlap, as both contrast with body and both are understood as surviving the bodily death in religion and occultism,[1] and "spirit" can also have the sense of "ghost", i.e. a manifestation of the spirit of a deceased person.

In any case a higher consciousness can be achieved in meditation without the need for an idea of "spirit".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
"[Enlightenment] It could mean being One with God, your Buddha-Nature (Buddha), the Goddess, the Mystic Law. Anything or one that helps you bring yourself to life's full self and what it (or He or She) offers you in return."

You implied that the term "spiritually enlightenment" was a more meaningful concept than God.

Looking it over. I said spiritual enlightenment could "mean being One with God, your Buddha-Nature (Buddha), the Goddess, the Mystic Law. Anything or one that helps you bring yourself to life's full self and what it (or He or She) offers you in return.

Meaning, God is separate--He's not enlightenment in Himself (though people might argue otherwise) just being One with Him could mean enlightenment just as much as being One with Allah, our Buddha-nature, and so have you.

Gambit

Not really, spirit has a number of meanings, and conflating the two things muddies the water.

You asked me how I understood the term spirit. And I responded by stating: "I would define spiritually enlightened as a higher state of consciousness."

If you don't like my definition, then that's just too bad.

Gambit

Meaning, God is separate--He's not enlightenment in Himself (though people might argue otherwise) just being One with Him could mean enlightenment just as much as being One with Allah, our Buddha-nature, and so have you.

What does this mean?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
"I would define spiritually enlightened as a higher state of consciousness."

So if a Buddhist attains a higher state of consciousness in meditation does that make them spiritually enlightened? That would seem to follow from your definition.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I believe that through mystical experience, one gains freedom from illusion. And that Freedom, is what I call enlightenment. Not just freedom from an illusion, but all illusion.
I'm more inclined to say that said experiences acquaint the individual with the nature of illusion and they may become more aware of the process by which illusions are created as a result of those experiences. But, that's just me.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What does this mean?

You said "You implied that the term "spiritually enlightenment" was a more meaningful concept than God."

I said enlightenment is being One with with God, Allah, your Buddha-nature, or who or what ever you trust or base your life on. Enlightenment is a result of your relationship with your faith not a concept above your faith or the God (or who/whatever) you believe in.

To someone who believes in God, God could be his enlightenment. I am saying being One with God becomes the enlightenment for that person.