• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is spiritual enlightenment?

Gambit

You said "You implied that the term "spiritually enlightenment" was a more meaningful concept than God."

I said enlightenment is being One with with God, Allah, your Buddha-nature, or who or what ever you trust or base your life on. Enlightenment is a result of your relationship with your faith not a concept above your faith or the God (or who/whatever) you believe in.

To someone who believes in God, God could be his enlightenment. I am saying being One with God becomes the enlightenment for that person.

Okay.

Gambit

Sure, they're conscious. What does that have to do with discussing human enlightenment?

We were discussing the illusion. Previously, you stated that "we" create the illusion of the world in our minds. How does the consciousness of my snow monkey play into this illusion? Do all sentient beings help to create the illusion of the world? Or, only human beings?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
We were discussing the illusion. Previously, you stated that "we" create the illusion of the world in our minds. How does the consciousness of my snow monkey play into this illusion? Do all sentient beings help to create the illusion of the world? Or, only human beings?
The illusion is in the human mind because we create a symbolic framework of reality that we interact with the outside world through, and mistake the models in our heads to be reality itself. We are literally what we think, and unaware who we really are. Enlightenment is waking up to that condition.

Enlightenment for a human is to move beyond that illusion. Are monkeys "enlightened"? It doesn't really pertain to their state or condition. They are aware as they are aware. But are we aware as we can be aware, or are we just happy in the mentally created world and nothing more, sleeping as it were half-aware, half-awake?

JRMcC

Doesn't the meaning of "spiritual enlightenment" depend on which spiritual school of thought one is working with?
I would think that in Buddhism spiritual enlightenment is attaining Nirvana, or perhaps fully understanding the Buddha's teachings. In Kashmir Shaivism I think spiritual enlightenment would be understanding that the inner self is Shiva, while in the Advaita school of thought spiritual enlightenment is realizing that everything is Brahman. I agree that the term doesn't apply to Abrahamic religions for the most part. How's that?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Doesn't the meaning of "spiritual enlightenment" depend on which spiritual school of thought one is working with?
I would think that in Buddhism spiritual enlightenment is attaining Nirvana, or perhaps fully understanding the Buddha's teachings. In Kashmir Shaivism I think spiritual enlightenment would be understanding that the inner self is Shiva, while in the Advaita school of thought spiritual enlightenment is realizing that everything is Brahman.

There are those who believe that sufficiently advanced development of one's path allows one to realize some core truth that manifests and/or is taught in various forums, hence the various schools.

I subscribe to that idea to a point, because it must be noted that there are misguided schools as well.

I agree that the term doesn't apply to Abrahamic religions for the most part. How's that?

"For the most part" being the operative expression. There are authentic Dharmi in the Abrahamic religions. It just turns out that the religions themselves generally don't particularly encourage such practice.

Gambit

I would think that in Buddhism spiritual enlightenment is attaining Nirvana, or perhaps fully understanding the Buddha's teachings. In Kashmir Shaivism I think spiritual enlightenment would be understanding that the inner self is Shiva, while in the Advaita school of thought spiritual enlightenment is realizing that everything is Brahman. I agree that the term doesn't apply to Abrahamic religions for the most part. How's that?

There's mysticism in all three of the Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, and Islam).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Agreed. But if you're engaging in spiritual practices in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, then you're engaging in mysticism.
Now, did I mention spirit/soul or mysticism? Spiritual has many definitions, one simply is 'not being limited just to materialism'.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It could mean being One with God, your Buddha-Nature (Buddha), the Goddess, the Mystic Law. Anything or one that helps you bring yourself to life's full self and what it (or He or She) offers you in return.
No It, God or Goddess is compulsorily necessary. It is simply not having or having answers to life that satisfy one. If there is no conflict in one's mind, and the person knows what to do in a particular situation, then life is happy, peaceful; and that person can be termed as 'enlightened', 'realized', 'having obtained nirvana' (not lost in a forest), 'mukta' (delivered from doubts), etc.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do all sentient beings help to create the illusion of the world? Or, only human beings?
Yes, all sentient beings have illusions. A lion thinks of a deer or a lioness. A deer thinks of a expanse of grass and of course, a buck. Humans being the most imaginative have the maximum illusions. The same disadvantage can be turned into an advantage, because the humans can use their brains to get out of illusions. Of course, some people voluntarily like to remain with their illusions. Well, this is a free world. People can do whatever they like.