• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is spiritual enlightenment?

Gambit

Now, did I mention spirit/soul or mysticism? Spiritual has many definitions, one simply is 'not being limited just to materialism'.

If you're engaging in spiritual practices (e.g. meditation) in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, then you're engaging in mysticism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If you're engaging in spiritual practices (e.g. meditation) in order to achieve spiritual enlightenment, then you're engaging in mysticism.
Again, if after quieting my mind with meditation, I go over the various theories that physics, biology, chemistry, sociology, etc. propose about things in the universe and make my judgment about the world, my society and my life, how is that mysticism?
Then it would appear that your "atheistic advaita" is not concerned with spiritual enlightenment.
I have given my definition of 'enlightenment' in post no. 97.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Buddhists and Hindus do not insist on one meaning of things. It is accepted that people have various definitions.

Also, it is generally accepted that there must be various definitions, regardless of whether there is a common, coherent understanding of the core concepts. Human understanding is funny that way.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Also, it is generally accepted that there must be various definitions, regardless of whether there is a common, coherent understanding of the core concepts. Human understanding is funny that way.
We understand the core concept also - Dharma - the Eight-fold Noble path. That is why we do not bristle at the idea of various deities, we do not cut throats of those who do not agree with us or destroy Bamian Buddhas. The Bodhi tree still lives.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Doesn't the meaning of "spiritual enlightenment" depend on which spiritual school of thought one is working with?

Absolutely. So if anyone gives a "definition" of enlightenment in a discussion like this it's worth checking from which perspective they are talking.
And even within a particular tradition there may be different understandings.

And of course some people just make up their own definition. ;)

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm more inclined to say that said experiences acquaint the individual with the nature of illusion and they may become more aware of the process by which illusions are created as a result of those experiences. But, that's just me.
Yes, of course. I do mean this as well. I was speaking of those who actually do come to that release. Not everyone practicing mystical paths will actually release everything, pay that price so to speak. They certainly gain much insights into the nature of themselves and reality, however. How much or how far will of course vary. It's not an automatic, Buddha in a Box in three easy steps, to be sure. If you just meditate every day, you'll be Enlightened. The raft has to have some course direction, follow some current.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
True. I agree.

No It, God or Goddess is compulsorily necessary. It is simply not having or having answers to life that satisfy one. If there is no conflict in one's mind, and the person knows what to do in a particular situation, then life is happy, peaceful; and that person can be termed as 'enlightened', 'realized', 'having obtained nirvana' (not lost in a forest), 'mukta' (delivered from doubts), etc.

Gambit

Again, if after quieting my mind with meditation, I go over the various theories that physics, biology, chemistry, sociology, etc. propose about things in the universe and make my judgment about the world, my society and my life, how is that mysticism?

I suggest that you reread my post (again and again) until you understand it.

I have given my definition of 'enlightenment' in post no. 97.

That's not spiritual enlightenment to conventional view of Advaita Vedanta.

Advaita (literally, non-duality) is a system of thought where "Advaita" refers to the identity of the Self (Atman) and the Whole (Brahman).[note 3]

(source: Enlightenment (spiritual))

Gambit

Is your true self who you see yourself as, or imagine who you are? Can you be defined by ideas?

Perviously, you stated: "We are literally what we think, and unaware who we really are."

What does that mean (the underline portion of the above statement)?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perviously, you stated: "We are literally what we think, and unaware who we really are."

What does that mean (the underline portion of the above statement)?
That's easy. We create mental images of ourselves we self identify as. This is an illusion. There's an old saying I heard that somewhat illustrates this. "We are not who we think we are. We are not even who others think we are. But we are who we think others think we are". We project ourselves with our minds back to ourselves, and believe that to be who we truly are. We identify with, interact with, and become that mental self-image. We literally are those thoughts. That's an illusion of ourselves. And the same thing applies to the world of reality we imagine to be. We live in an illusion of mind and beliefs.