• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the meaning of life? What is the purpose of existence?

Gambit

I have lived my entire life knowing that there are greater minds than mine.

That's not what I was implying. I'm asking whether you ever considered the possibility that there might be a greater mind in which your mind is merely a part.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
That's not what I was implying. I'm asking whether you ever considered the possibility that there might be a greater mind in which your mind is merely a part.
Absolutely. I am a part of a family, a part of a community, a part of a society, a part ofa species and so on. The earth herself may be sentient in some form, or the galaxy - who knows?

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Depends upon the individual with the string.

For some it is to long.
For some it is to short.
For still others it is just the right length.

Good post.

This long. :)

This is basically what the spiritual try to argue. They try to argue that the length of their piece of string is the right length. Do they not see how ridiculous they are being?
This applies to you, also, @Ouroboros, seeing as you are a panentheist..

Thief

Rogue Theologian
If you want to / choose to make it so / perceive the possibilities in that way.

Because learning in this life open the opportunity to sharing and teaching with others that will survive us and hopefully pass the good effort along.

In that way, and IMO in that way alone, humanity is immortal.

In no manner is Man immortal.
Not as person....not as a collective.
Man is destined to become extinct.

Only in spirit can we claim immortality.

Looncall

Absolutely. I am a part of a family, a part of a community, a part of a society, a part ofa species and so on. The earth herself may be sentient in some form, or the galaxy - who knows?

How do you get your "may be"? Can you show that what you speculate is possible?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Does my "learning" serve some ultimate purpose?

I do suspect....life and living is a bit of a strain in complete solitude.
even for God.

If you want to call that a weakness on His part....ok.
but I don't believe it is a weakness we can play upon.
He could simply...'start over'.

In the mean time.....we develop into spirit with each breath and experience.
Then we die.
The spirit each one becomes will have what it takes to continue.....or not.

I do suspect...it's all about having allowance to be in the presence of God.
After all.....with so many to choose from.....why choose out of the ignorant?.....or the defiant?

Gambit

Okay. So, if we entertain the possibility that there might be a greater mind than our own, then we would have to entertain the possibility that there is a greater purpose than our own.