• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the point of censorship?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
You wanted examples of when censorship is appropriate. Both of these examples of censorship occur by government edict. Both will be punished by the force of governmental laws and agencies. Another example would be documents being labeled "secret" and thereby censored from public and press access.
Please...let's be honest.
The lounge-loving and pro-banking Democratic Party wants to censor many things which are legal in most EU countries.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
According to you.
Since you claim that there are things that shouldn't be tolerated, since you brought up Popper.
Enlighten me.
For the record I believe in free speech (as in no legal sanction), but I don't believe private citizens or businesses are obligated to offer a platform for bigotry or disinformation. For example, RF would be a insufferable cesspit without any moderation.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
For the record I believe in free speech (as in no legal sanction), but I don't believe private citizens or businesses are obligated to offer a platform for bigotry or disinformation. For example, RF would be a insufferable cesspit without any moderation.
I understand.
As I told you I would never censor anyone on my venue, if I owned one.
Which makes more tolerant. ;)

PureX

Veteran Member
The lounge-loving and pro-banking Democratic Party wants to censor many things which are legal in most EU countries.
I have no idea what the "lounge-loving pro-banking Democratic Party" in the EU wants. That wasn't part of the discussion. I'm simply pointing out that not all censorship is bad, as you have been asserting.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I have no idea what the "lounge-loving pro-banking Democratic Party" in the EU wants. That wasn't part of the discussion. I'm simply pointing out that not all censorship is bad, as you have been asserting.
But I was speaking of political ideas and you brought up crimes.
Of course crimes are repressed. That's the word. Fought and repressed.

But if you believe that certain political ideas should be censored, tell me.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I thought the right views the Democratic party as "communist", so what gives? Also, holocaust denial is illegal in some EU countries, isn't it? It's not in the U.S.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It depends me on who my sponsor is. ;)
2022-10-07T150849Z_1388200067_RC21VW9XYHVH_RTRMADP_3_UKRAINE-CRISIS-PUTIN-1024x683.jpg

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That's misinformation.
There are so many LGBTs in Russia. Much more than in the US, probably.
It's just they don't flaunt.
What do you mean by "flaunt", how does one "flaunt" in this context? And do you declare that it's "misinformation" simply because it doesn't affirm your narrative?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There is no "cancel culture". That's just propaganda. There are people that want to deny us access to ideas and information that they don't like or agree with. They want to decide for us what we should reject and accept. And in some instances this would be appropriate. But in most instances it is not.
Seriously, you need to get up to speed on current affairs. I already gave you one specific example.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
I don't blame venues for protecting their reputation; they're businesses, and they shouldn't be obligated to provide a soapbox for bigots at their own detriment.
I think that banning comedians is almost always a horrible idea. Comedy is meant to poke at society. Who in society ought to be immune from being poked fun at?

PureX

Veteran Member
Any venue that bans certain performers will 1, not last long because people don't like having their tastes or morality dictated to them by a business that wants to take their money. Or 2, they are already situated in an environment where the majority of the people already agree with their censorship. And those few who don't won't pose a serious loss of revenue. Usually when this sort of thing happens it will be the later situation because profits control most business decisions. Not ideology.