• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is the point of censorship?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@Estro Felino And let's not forget that the man you idolize and swoon over enabled and facilitated the rape, torture, and murder of Ukrainian children: Russian troops raped and tortured children in Ukraine, U.N. panel says

Of course, you already knew of this but didn't allow it to sour your crush. Should we say a prayer and ask Jesus for guidance on this?
I have never been a phony person.
Being very blunt, I have always said that I think Putin is much better than Obama, in so many ways.

It's a cultural question. Putin is as European as me, he speaks several European languages as I do.
We share the same cultural heritage.

Obama has very different values, and a different background than mine. Genetically, because of his father's religion and nationality.

PureX

Veteran Member
Being very blunt, I have always said that I think Putin is much better than Obama, in so many ways.

It's a cultural question. Putin is as European as me, he speaks several European languages as I do.

Obama has very different values, and a different background than mine. Genetically, because of his father's religion and nationality.
How does this determine that you and Putin are "better" than Obama? Obama did not represent Europe. And he can get an interpreter anytime he needs one. So I see nothing in these two points that would make him inferior.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I have never been a phony person.
So war crimes and human rights don't make a difference to you? What would your Christ think?
So it's about race rather than ethics, since "European" isn't a culture. Europe consists of very many cultures that can be quite different from one another. So being white absolves Putin for what happened to those innocent children?

What are Obama's differing values, and what does his father's religion or nationality have to do with anything?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So war crimes and human rights don't make a difference to you? What would your Christ think?

So it's about race rather than ethics, since "European" isn't a culture. Europe consists of very many cultures that can be quite different from one another. So being white absolves Putin for what happened to those innocent children?

What are Obama's differing values, and what does his father's religion or nationality have to do with anything?
It was an example to mean that that was my personal opinion.
Do you think that my opinion should be censored?

Don't you think that censoring it violates the First Amendment?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Are the Democrats coherent?
More so than the opposition.
They are scandalized if some male politician has sex with a woman,
It's not about sex. It's about deceiving and betraying one's spouse. That's why adultery is frowned upon. Do you not understand ethics and morals? Perhaps you should renounce your faith. And if you're referring to sexual harassment or assault, then I shouldn't even have to explain why that's considered wrong.
then they are silent when two gay men have sex in a hearing room of the Senate, the temple of democracy.
Who were the gay men? Anyone of significance? While inappropriate, it's ultimately trivial.
So private citizens can violate the First Amendment?
How could they?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Any venue that bans certain performers will 1, not last long because people don't like having their tastes or morality dictated to them by a business that wants to take their money. Or 2, they are already situated in an environment where the majority of the people already agree with their censorship. And those few who don't won't pose a serious loss of revenue. Usually when this sort of thing happens it will be the later situation because profits control most business decisions. Not ideology.

In this case I think you might be right, the Fringe Festival has probably jumped the shark.

But these days businesses are deciding to censor themselves because it's just not worth dealing with woke mobs.

PureX

Veteran Member
In this case I think you might be right, the Fringe Festival has probably jumped the shark.

But these days businesses are deciding to censor themselves because it's just not worth dealing with woke mobs.
What I am seeing more of these days are businesses playing to people's ignorance and prejudice just like the politicians do, to increase their revenue. CEOs pretending they're Duck Dynasty clones because they think (or perhaps they know) that their customers are bigots and ignoramuses that will eat that BS up and want to reward it with their loyal patronage. But that's not really censorship, it's just grotesque greed and stupidity joining hands.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Explain me: can privates disrespect the First Amendment?
Nope. Not helping them isn't the same as stopping then. For example, would a church be violating the first amendment if they didn't allow for a Satanist to give a sermon there? Denying their request doesn't prevent them from giving a sermon elsewhere.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Nope. Not helping them isn't the same as stopping then. For example, would a church be violating the first amendment if they didn't allow for a Satanist to give a sermon there? Denying their request doesn't prevent them from giving a sermon elsewhere.
But an employer can fire a secretary who turns out to be a Trump supporter, right?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

icehorse

Premium Member
What I am seeing more of these days are businesses playing to people's ignorance and prejudice just like the politicians do, to increase their revenue. CEOs pretending they're Duck Dynasty clones because they think (or perhaps they know) that their customers are bigots and ignoramuses that will eat that BS up and want to reward it with their loyal patronage. But that's not really censorship, it's just grotesque greed and stupidity joining hands.
Ok, so you've negated you own claim?

PureX

Veteran Member
Ok, so you've negated you own claim?
No, I'm just dismissing the foolish and divisive label you want to slap on it. Greed and stupidity and the desire to control the thoughts and actions of others have aways been with us. And it's no more or less prevalent now than it has ever been. But we ARE more divided now that we have ever been because the political media echo-chamber invents these slanderous labels to slap on their "enemies' and keeps repeating them over and over until the fools among us start believing they are real.

So I am admonishing you to stop echoing their divisive BS. Call it dishonesty, greed, and stupidity. Because that's what it is. And stop pretending that this faction or that faction is responsible for it. We are ALL responsible for it. We are ALL guilty of it more or less. But how about we try to make it less.

icehorse

Premium Member
So I am admonishing you to stop echoing their divisive BS.
How condescending of you. We've been interacting for years now. I'm a lifelong learner, always open to new ideas. I've seen little in our interactions that leads me to believe that you have a better BS detector than I do :)

Extremists from all directions push divisive ideas. I would say that most of us on RF lean liberal, and so we're already aware of BS from the right. OTOH, I think we might be less aware of BS from the left. But make no mistake, the far left perpetrates a LOT of divisive BS.

==

Yes, greed drives much of the divisiveness, no doubt. But radical ideologies drive quite a bit as well.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, greed drives much of the divisiveness, no doubt. But radical ideologies drive quite a bit as well.
People's ideologies are created and adopted to rationalize and justify their deepest desires. Very, very few people adopt an ideology with the intention of changing themselves by it. We adopt the ideologies that validate and justify who we already are.

So its not either greed or ideology. It's selfishness and greed as an ideology.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
People's ideologies are created and adopted to rationalize and justify their deepest desires. Very, very few people adopt an ideology with the intention of changing themselves by it. We adopt the ideologies that validate and justify who we already are.
I am one of those few people.
I restlessly question my own beliefs.

For instance there are people like me who love debate and love to be asked questions.
There are people (the majority, as you said) who have an incredibly high level of fragility, so they rely on a very predetermined set of convictions.
They see debate as a threat to their psychological security: so they easily accuse others of conspiracy-theorism.
They hate debate.

Speaking of censorship...the Sorosian swamp would have probably censored the 50% of the interview with Putin.