• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your belief about homosexuality?

Homosexuality is...

• Total voters

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
1. The story in Judges is *not* the same story recounted in Genesis about Sodom. But you will notice it follows almost exactly the same pattern. Are we to suppose that there were two events just like this, one involving angels, the other involving a Levite, right down to offering virgins to a ravenous crowd, or are we to understand it as a mythic story that is about customs, specifically those related to hospitality? Most scholars understand it to be the latter.

2. You emphasize the angelic nature of these guests. But doesn't that suggest that the issue was not homosexuality? How do you emphasize the angelic nature of the guests when convenient (i.e., when demonstrating that they would not tolerate the sacrifice of virgins) and resort to characterizing them as males when you need to draw a lesson about homosexuality?

Not to mention, - YHVH uses the same word - "yada" - translated sex - in the Sodom story, - and I doubt he was going down to Sodom for some Gay sex.

Draka

Wonder Woman
So, let's understand this now. Lot sending his girls out to be raped, that's fine, Lot drunkenly raped or taken advantage of by the very girls he wanted raped...poor innocent guy. You have to admit that the Bible story is an extremely disturbed one.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
So, let's understand this now. Lot sending his girls out to be raped, that's fine, Lot drunkenly raped or taken advantage of by the very girls he wanted raped...poor innocent guy. You have to admit that the Bible story is an extremely disturbed one.

You think? LOL! :D

I don't think Christians actually think about the stories they are reading. How horrible, and sexist they actually are.

For instance, in one story, after committing genocide on one of their own tribes, killing most of the women, they decide to get new broodmares at Shiloh. - They hide in the bushes, then jump out and kidnap, and rape, their own women from Shiloh.

1. The story in Judges is *not* the same story recounted in Genesis about Sodom. But you will notice it follows almost exactly the same pattern. Are we to suppose that there were two events just like this, one involving angels, the other involving a Levite, right down to offering virgins to a ravenous crowd, or are we to understand it as a mythic story that is about customs, specifically those related to hospitality? Most scholars understand it to be the latter.

2. You emphasize the angelic nature of these guests. But doesn't that suggest that the issue was not homosexuality? How do you emphasize the angelic nature of the guests when convenient (i.e., when demonstrating that they would not tolerate the sacrifice of virgins) and resort to characterizing them as males when you need to draw a lesson about homosexuality?

Are you serious? Don't you know that stories are brought up later in other books to show what occurred in previous stories? Just like when Jesus quoted man passages in the OT.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Are you serious? Don't you know that stories are brought up later in other books to show what occurred in previous stories? Just like when Jesus quoted man passages in the OT.

Dude - read it! It is a different story - in a different city - with a different outcome!

Reactions: gsa

gsa

This is more than a quotation we are reading in Judges, it is an intentional allusion to Genesis, woven into the events it describes. It did not happen, just as the story in Genesis did not happen. It was never intended by the author(s) to be read as thought it happened, either.

This is more than a quotation we are reading in Judges, it is an intentional allusion to Genesis, woven into the events it describes. It did not happen, just as the story in Genesis did not happen. It was never intended by the author(s) to be read as thought it happened, either.

The holy scriptures are the inspired word of God.If it is in there.It happened.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
You think? LOL! :D

I don't think Christians actually think about the stories they are reading. How horrible, and sexist they actually are.

For instance, in one story, after committing genocide on one of their own tribes, killing most of the women, they decide to get new broodmares at Shiloh. - They hide in the bushes, then jump out and kidnap, and rape, their own women from Shiloh.

Now.
Don't be throwing around words like genocide. Hardly anyone was killed, mostly just all the women and children. People can always replace those.

Tom

Sabour

Which one?

Perhaps you meant to qualify "holy scripture" with "my personal favorite"? Otherwise you and OneAnswer might get confused.

Tom

On the bright side, I am not confused neither I confused the two terms. Don't judge something you didn't read Tom.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You could read the whole story.

Abraham argued with God, and convinced God that He didn't know what He was talking about. God agreed to send some angels to find out what was what. They angels decided that Lot throwing his daughters to the wolves wasn't a big deal. They gave Lot a way out of the destruction God planned for everybody else in the two cities.

So Lot wound up in a cave having sex with his daughters and drinking.

At least that is what the authors of Genesis said happened. Frankly, I think the Bible is mostly fiction and I see this story as one of many that are solid evidence that it is.

Tom
I certainly don't agree with you. But fortunately, I don't have to.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Lot did not do it.His daughters did it.They got him drunk on purpose to have children.Lot was innocent.
Yeah, I realized that, too. These stories, as bizarre as they are, lend a rather interesting view. Think about it, none of the "heroes" of the Bible were pure and saintly. David committed adultery and had his lover's husband killed, Abraham told people that Sarai (Sarah) was his sister (which was true, she was his half sister. He failed to tell them she was also his wife. What Lot did in regard to his daughters by offering them to the men who came to his home was yet another example. People can easily dismiss them, ridicule the, and so on, but, to me, these kinds of stories are rather needed since none of us is perfect, either.

Awoon1

Yep! What a "Godly" man - LOL! Toss the women to gang-rape, then have sex with your daughters. The story tries to make it totally the daughters' fault too.

Because it's just a story. Semites are story tellers. That is all they've ever produced in the world.