• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your belief in regards to God?

What is your belief in regards to God?

• Total voters

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Actually, you experience the state of pure consciousness nightly during your sleep cycle - during the period of dreamless sleep. (I believe the Sanskrit term for it is "turiya.") You can also experience it during meditation or while under anesthesia. (If you are a practitioner of meditation, then you should be experiencing it regularly.) The point is that it is indistinguishable from unconsciousness.

Pure consciousness is indistinguishable from unconsciousness? I've never heard of a meditation method which aims to develop unconsciousness, what a strange idea.

atanu

Premium Member
Actually, you experience the state of pure consciousness nightly during your sleep cycle - during the period of dreamless sleep. (I believe the Sanskrit term for it is "turiya.") You can also experience it during meditation or while under anesthesia. (If you are a practitioner of meditation, then you should be experiencing it regularly.) The point is that it is indistinguishable from unconsciousness.

That is not correct representation of Turiya.

Timothy Bryce

I probably consider the word "God" to be a metaphysical expression (kind of like a punctuation mark) that can be used to describe various things depending on the whim of the individual.

Some of the most sense I've been able to make out of "god" within this context is identifying "god" as the universe in its entirety; in which each individual perceives via their arbitrarily evolved senses, thereby creating a mirror-like state in which we are all our own individual "gods". I remember once rambling about how a person's drive to get up in the morning is literally their own personal "act of god" that they are exercising simply by sustaining their own life; essentially rendering the only "true atheists" to be suicide victims.

Consciousness and truth are fragile; the word or arbitrary conception of "god" seems to serve as a cushion in a lot of cases.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What is your belief in regards to God? Is it theistic, atheistic, or agnostic? (Please explain why for your choice.)

I am a theist because I believe "God" qualifies as the only explanation to the mystery of existence.

I believe that belief in god, in whatever myriad of ways that people define the term, is sufficiently explained by psychology and sociology. It's an understandable projection and wish of the human mind.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe that belief in god, in whatever myriad of ways that people define the term, is sufficiently explained by psychology and sociology. It's an understandable projection and wish of the human mind.
Hi Mr Trout.

I believe that atheism or lack of belief in G-d is a projection and wish of the human mind. Also understandable.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Hi Mr Trout.

I believe that atheism or lack of belief in G-d is a projection and wish of the human mind. Also understandable.
Funny - I generally consider gods to br anthropomorhisms of people's ideas of things like virtue.

Why would somebody who believed in God wish that God didn't exist?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, no matter how unsupported.
Fair enough.

Funny - I generally consider gods to br anthropomorhisms of people's ideas of things like virtue.

Why would somebody who believed in God wish that God didn't exist?
Eh, well actually there are other reasons to believe in a Deity... Anyway, It can be done, however this does not mean that all Deities or G-d is some sort of projected idea from a viewpoint of anthropomorphizing ideas.

An atheist does not have to believe in a G-d, that is why they can project that non-belief onto their worldview, in the first place. Some one who secretly believes in a Deity, yet tries to convince themselves otherwise, is not technically an atheist. They are merely presenting that position, or holding that position against their ''actual'' belief.
There are various reasons to not believe in a deity, or rather to project that belief, and those are sometimes linked to the Ego.

atanu

Premium Member
That which is not uttered by speech, that by which the word is expressed,.......

Jumi

. Some one who secretly believes in a Deity, yet tries to convince themselves otherwise, is not technically an atheist. They are merely presenting that position, or holding that position against their ''actual'' belief.
There are various reasons to not believe in a deity, or rather to project that belief, and those are sometimes linked to the Ego.
I believe it is more common to not believe in a deity while professing belief than the other way around. When I was atheist I had just the lack of belief, no projection.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I believe it is more common to not believe in a deity while professing belief than the other way around. When I was atheist I had just the lack of belief, no projection.

From your comments on the forums, I'm not sure to what degree you would be known as an ''atheist'', in the first place. From my biased perspective, /my personal experience/, atheism is linked to an actual belief that deity does not exist, period. There is nothing of a grey area, there, it's a very plain and direct statement. This, regardless of how long the person has held that idea, is clearly a projection of some sort, it's not merely a lack of belief, usually.

Hence, a projection, and if taken in the same regard as Theism, no less of a projection of an idea, certainly.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

The Ego?

Does not believing in a divinity, who allegedly created at least 100 billion galaxies (and all the rest) so that I could exist, has something to do with my Ego?

Ciao

- viole

Jumi

From your comments on the forums, I'm not sure to what degree you would be known as an ''atheist'', in the first place.

If it wasn't clear that's why I said "when I was an atheist."

I still do not have any beliefs on any deity that could interact with the physical universe.

From my biased perspective, /my personal experience/, atheism is linked to an actual belief that deity does not exist, period.

You accuse me and others of lying, because it doesn't fit your preconceptions. Your admittedly biased perspective is wrong. It is based on your lack of understanding of different perspectives and not listening to what others tell you.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
An atheist does not have to believe in a G-d, that is why they can project that non-belief onto their worldview, in the first place.

"Projecting non-belief"? Isn't that just seeing what's actually there? Not imagining something extra?