• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your belief in regards to God?

What is your belief in regards to God?

• Total voters

allfoak

Alchemist
You think that parents are "unknowable" to their children?

Their is an intimate relationship but it is limited by our inability to know the mind of anyone completely.
A child cannot know the mind of an adult.

One day we will be able to converse with God on the level of gods in the same way that we grow older and we are able to converse with our parents on the level of an adult, but never can we ever know God completely.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I believe the Sanskrit term for this is "samadhi."

Samadhi is meditative absorption, a state of full awareness and one-pointedness of mind. It might make sense to refer to it as "pure consciousness", but I don't see how it makes sense to refer to it as unconsciousness.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Their is an intimate relationship but it is limited by our inability to know the mind of anyone completely.
Wait... so God isn't so much "unknown" as "not fully known"?

One day we will be able to converse with God on the level of gods in the same way that we grow older and we are able to converse with our parents on the level of an adult, but never can we ever know God completely.
This seems a bit self-aggrandizing.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What is your belief in regards to God? Is it theistic, atheistic, or agnostic? (Please explain why for your choice.)

I am a pagan Viking girl who got time tunneled into the future.

I am a theist because I believe "God" qualifies as the only explanation to the mystery of existence.

I believe in Thor because I believe He is the only explanation for the mystery of lightnings.

:)

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No more than it is to say that i will grow up and become an adult.
Sure it is.

Since you didn't dispute the other half of my quote, I take it you agree: the sort of god you suggest isn't so much "the unknowable source" as it is "the somewhat knowable source"... right?

prometheus11

Parents are detectable; God isn't. It'd be like saying that one day we'll be able to ride on unicorns just like one day a child will be able to drive a car.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What is your belief in regards to God? Is it theistic, atheistic, or agnostic? (Please explain why for your choice.)

I am a theist because I believe "God" qualifies as the only explanation to the mystery of existence.
"Agnosticism" is not mutually exclusive to atheism or theism. "Agnosticism" is the belief that knowledge of God is not possible. "Ignosticism" is the belief that God is not defined well-enough as a concept to be discussed rationally.

I am an agnostic theist because I believe in God, but I don't think that knowledge of God's existence is possible in this life. That is why I believe in God's existence, but I don't know whether God exists.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.

I think your answer is good.

I believe because he enabled me to.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
An agnostic isn't a theist.
I would look up the term before making claims like that. Agnosticism is the belief that knowledge of God's existence or nature is not possible. This in no way precludes someone from believing that God exists. Thus, there are many agnostic theists and atheists alike.

"Agnosticism is the view that the truth values of certain claims – especially metaphysical and religious claims such as whether God, the divine or the supernatural exist – are unknown and perhaps unknowable."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnosticism

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
"Agnosticism" is not mutually exclusive to atheism or theism. "Agnosticism" is the belief that knowledge of God is not possible. "Ignosticism" is the belief that God is not defined well-enough as a concept to be discussed rationally.

I am an agnostic theist because I believe in God, but I don't think that knowledge of God's existence is possible in this life. That is why I believe in God's existence, but I don't know whether God exists.
If you believe, you know. I have told you this before.

prometheus11

If you believe, you know. I have told you this before.

This is blatantly false. I can believe that my grass on went to school this morning, but I don't absolutely know it. Duh.

Belief and knowledge are two different things. It's why stuntmen get hurt sometimes.

jonathan180iq

No more than it is to say that i will grow up and become an adult.
Except that you have not a single example of people growing up to become gods... And there are billions of examples of babies growing up to become parents.

If I replaced your entire argument with the character of a Magic Dragon instead of God, would it still make sense?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
You can't be an atheist then.

Life is my "object" of worship. I live it. God is not a term I would use but Im around mostly christians.

Without the word god, life still exists.

Entities, no: thats why Im an atheist not because of terminology but because I dont believe entities (actual gods not concepts of metaphors of them) exist.

REFRESH

Why the statement? Atheism is just part of my worldview: life without gods.

Nothing special.