• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your opinion of Jesus?

Quester

There's an easy way to end all of this ... there are a small handful of verses that say:

Mark 9:1:
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

God obviously agrees with all this, because Mark 9:7 says:
7 Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is
my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!”

Oddly, one of these verses was Jesus to Caiaphas the high priest:

...hereafter you (Caiaphas) shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven. (Mt.26:64 /Mark 14:62)

Just dealing with this small group of people, logic dictates that since this "return" has never happened (and there's a reason why), these people HAVE TO BE still alive. With the billions of people on this planet today, if everyone helped to look for and find this 2000 year old group of people - if found - you win the dispute.

Frankly, I believe they would have made themselves known somewhere in history, especially after the Catholic Church arrived on the scene ... but ... they aren't there. Don't believe me? Find them.

Added to the above are a number of verses that all say the same thing ,,, like this verse:
(Heb.10:37) For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay.

A very little while
is NOT 2000 rounded years. This connects with the above idea of some people "not tasting death" until the return happens. It was supposed to have happened BACK THEN.
No matter what you think - it failed.

After I had finished putting the above picture together, I tripped over the work of biblical scholar Dr Bart Ehrman, who said the exact same thing in his book Jesus, apocalyptic prophet:

"Jesus thought that the history of the world would come to a screeching
halt, that God would intervene in the affairs of this planet, overthrow the
forces of evil in a cosmic act of judgment and establish his utopian
Kingdom on Earth. And this was to happen within Jesus' own generation."

Jesus apocalyptic prophet. Dr. Bart Ehrman

From the time this story started to circulate, all the way to today, it's been waited for and in some cases said that it was coming. You can look through this list and ponder it yourself.

Dimi95

Χριστός ἀνέστη
Added to the above are a number of verses that all say the same thing ,,, like this verse:
(Heb.10:37) For yet in a very little while, He who is coming will come, and will not delay.

A very little while
is NOT 2000 rounded years. This connects with the above idea of some people "not tasting death" until the return happens. It was supposed to have happened BACK THEN.
No matter what you think - it failed.

After I had finished putting the above picture together, I tripped over the work of biblical scholar Dr Bart Ehrman, who said the exact same thing in his book Jesus, apocalyptic prophet:

"Jesus thought that the history of the world would come to a screeching
halt, that God would intervene in the affairs of this planet, overthrow the
forces of evil in a cosmic act of judgment and establish his utopian
Kingdom on Earth. And this was to happen within Jesus' own generation."

Jesus apocalyptic prophet. Dr. Bart Ehrman

From the time this story started to circulate, all the way to today, it's been waited for and in some cases said that it was coming. You can look through this list and ponder it yourself.
Bart Ehrman....

I hope that in some point of my life i will have the chance to ask him how consistent is he in the way that he describes historical events.

Bart Ehrman has been proven various times that he is wrong , but you have just missed it , or refused it to see.
I mean, his circular reasoning is very obvious.

Quester

Bart Ehrman....

I hope that in some point of my life i will have the chance to ask him how consistent is he in the way that he describes historical events.

Bart Ehrman has been proven various times that he is wrong , but you have just missed it , or refused it to see.
I mean, his circular reasoning is very obvious.
My approach to this subject has only to do with the fact that Jesus was supposed to have "returned" somewhere in the lives of the people (going by the dating of the book of Revelation) some 1900 years ago. Dr Ehrman ripped the entire subject apart - my approach was via what I call the KEY. All of the verses that I have point in the exact same direction ... the conversations written were directed to the people back then. When people today read it, they think THEY are being talked to.
Now these things happened unto them by way of example; and they were written for
our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. (1 Corinthians 10:11)

The line "upon whom the end of the ages are come" was a talk from people 2000 rounded years ago, to people 2000 rounded years ago ... not US today.

But whatever is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to disappear. (Heb. 8:13)

For yet in a very little while (which is not 1900+ years), He who is coming will
come, and will not delay. (Heb.10:37) 2000 years is a MAJOR delay.
Then too…
...the coming of the Lord is at hand. (James 5:8)
…the Judge is standing right at the door. (James 5:9)
The end of all things is at hand... (1Pet.4:7)
Children, it is the last hour ... from this we know (2000 years ago) that it is the last hour. (1Jn.2:18)

This story was a complete rewrite of the Zoroastrian end times story. Today, what's left of the Zoroastrians are STILL waiting for the coming Saoshyant. They were wrong - hence the Jews Messiah approach was wrong - hence the list of failed prophecies above in the Wiki article.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why can't the person remember through his soul/spirit then? And what happens when there is permanent amnesia? In other words you mean that the soul/spirit does not keep memories and can not work without the brain.. so it is useless as far as memory is concerned.
Is soul/spirit useful in any other respect in a body?
I believe there ae three possibilities. 1. The brain connection to the spirit is damaged -lobotomy does that. 2. The spirit chooses not to bring memories to mind 3. The mind somehow blocks the spirit or ignores it.

I believe the spirit retains memories but God will block them from the next life.

I believe I do not mean that.

I believe the spirit can act as a conscience although it can be a good or bad conscience.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Jesus is a person that God created, even as a man fathers as son by procreation.
the thought that God would create a equal to him self is ridicules. what would be the point of doing such a thing when he could create subordinate helpers to manage all of creation ?
I believe this is only half true. God created the male half of the conception of Jesus and instilled His own Spirit and of course God's Spirit is not created.

I believe it is not that way.

I believe that is not what He is doing. He is creating a vehicle for Himself.

Muffled

Jesus in me
The only "evidence" you have that Jesus is God in the flesh comes from your sacred texts and various ecumenical councils. IOW you have no evidence at all.

Brother J was a nice Jewish man, but messiah and God he was not.
I believe God says otherwise and since you don't hear from God you lack evidence. So what are you saying that our sacred text is a lie and that of Moses is true simply because you like it that way? If you could recognize the voice of God you would recognize it in Jesus.

Ajax

I believe there ae three possibilities. 1. The brain connection to the spirit is damaged -lobotomy does that. 2. The spirit chooses not to bring memories to mind 3. The mind somehow blocks the spirit or ignores it.

I believe the spirit retains memories but God will block them from the next life.

I believe I do not mean that.

I believe the spirit can act as a conscience although it can be a good or bad conscience.
You are confusing....Please define what you mean by spirit and what by mind.
Mind you I agree that everybody has the right to have their own beliefs, whether they are right or wrong, but belief is not knowledge.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I believe God says otherwise
You say this because you are in inerrantist who believes the God somehow dictated the Bible to his secretaries. It brings us back to my first point, that the ONLY reason you think Jesus is God is your blind faith in the Bible, (and while it may not be conscious, Protestants have certainly been influenced by the Ecumenical Councils).

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm curious on why people don't believe in Jesus?
I believe he existed. I don’t believe in him as Christians do, that he is God or the son of God. I believe he was a great spiritual teacher, perhaps enlightened and liberated while in his body (jivanmukti in Sanskrit).

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I believe he existed. I don’t believe in him as Christians do, that he is God or the son of God. I believe he was a great spiritual teacher, perhaps enlightened and liberated while in his body (jivanmukti in Sanskrit).
I see no reason why you should not accept, if you agree he was enlightened, that the state of non-duality awareness was realized, in which case the concept of the 'Father (God) and I are one' awareness would be the reality experienced. The 'Father and I are one' concept is not a dualistic state whereby Jesus is claiming to be God, but the state of non-duality. This non-duality state by the way is realizable by all Christian aspirants as Jesus told his disciples that they too would eventually be able to do all the he could do.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I see no reason why you should not accept, if you agree he was enlightened, that the state of non-duality awareness was realized, in which case the concept of the 'Father (God) and I are one' awareness would be the reality experienced. The 'Father and I are one' concept is not a dualistic state whereby Jesus is claiming to be God, but the state of non-duality. This non-duality state by the way is realizable by all Christian aspirants as Jesus told his disciples that they too would eventually be able to do all the he could do.
I'm a Vishishtadvaitin Hindu, a non-dual philosophy. Jesus saying the Father and I are one is no different than me saying aham brahmāsmi ... "I am Brahman". But that doesn't make me "god", because Brahman is not "God". Jesus can say "the Father and I are one", 'aham brahmāsmi" or any of the advaitin mahāvakyas (great sayings of the Upanishads) but that doesn't mean he is God. We have hundreds of saints, jivanmukti, "enlightened" beings in Hinduism, but they're not God. So no, I don't accept Jesus being God. He's on a par with Paramahansa Rāmakrishna, Paramahansa Yogananda, Lahiri Mahasaya and other saints.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Jesus can say "the Father and I are one" "

The above "the Father and I (Jesus) are one" only meant, as I perceive, Jesus/Yeshua- the truthful Israelite Messiah was in fully obedience of G-d and G-d's commandments, please.
So, Jesus was never the Almighty G-d but a servant of the Almighty G-d.

Regards

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I'm a Vishishtadvaitin Hindu, a non-dual philosophy. Jesus saying the Father and I are one is no different than me saying aham brahmāsmi ... "I am Brahman". But that doesn't make me "god", because Brahman is not "God". Jesus can say "the Father and I are one", 'aham brahmāsmi" or any of the advaitin mahāvakyas (great sayings of the Upanishads) but that doesn't mean he is God. We have hundreds of saints, jivanmukti, "enlightened" beings in Hinduism, but they're not God. So no, I don't accept Jesus being God. He's on a par with Paramahansa Rāmakrishna, Paramahansa Yogananda, Lahiri Mahasaya and other saints.
Ok, I sincerely interpret Jesus saying "Father and I are one' as meaning it in the non-dual sense, not anywhere in Christian scripture does Jesus say or imply that he is God, as in "I am the Father' in the dualistic sense. However, it is true that many early Christian church clergy did interpret it in the dualistic sense, probably due to never having had exposure to, and thus not understanding the concept of non-duality. And unfortunately, this error has persisted until now, but there are many Christians around now who understand it in the non-dualistic way.

I often say and accept that 'God is me', in the sense that I am an expression of God as is all manifested existence from stars to electron, but I never say that I am God, implying that the expression of God is the same/equal to the source of the expression. Saying 'God is me' or 'God/Father and I are one' unambiguously imho implies non-duality.

InChrist

Free4ever
Nothing you posted negates the fact that if you believe you have everlasting life, and if you don’t, you’re condemned. Condemned to what? A week in Fiji?
Actually, I think according to the scriptures, everyone sins, falls short of God’s glory and perfection, and is already condemned. Everyone is on their way to eternal separation from God, the Source of life.
Jesus Christ offers rescue from that condemnation, reconciliation between humanity and God, and eternal life to everyone who accepts.

Last edited:

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
There's an easy way to end all of this ... there are a small handful of verses that say:

Mark 9:1:
And he said to them, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see that the kingdom of God has come with power.”

God obviously agrees with all this, because Mark 9:7 says:
7 Then a cloud appeared and covered them, and a voice came from the cloud: “This is
my Son, whom I love. Listen to him!”

Oddly, one of these verses was Jesus to Caiaphas the high priest:

...hereafter you (Caiaphas) shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of Power, and coming on the clouds of heaven. (Mt.26:64 /Mark 14:62)

Just dealing with this small group of people, logic dictates that since this "return" has never happened (and there's a reason why), these people HAVE TO BE still alive. With the billions of people on this planet today, if everyone helped to look for and find this 2000 year old group of people - if found - you win the dispute.

Frankly, I believe they would have made themselves known somewhere in history, especially after the Catholic Church arrived on the scene ... but ... they aren't there. Don't believe me? Find them.
Ok, so if Jesus failed to fulfil his mission completely at that time, it is not impossible that he may return again at an appropriate time, a second coming if you like, to fulfil it completely. The Book of Revelation may be the prophecy of the second coming and planetary judgement?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Ok, so if Jesus failed to fulfil his mission completely at that time, it is not impossible that he may return again at an appropriate time, a second coming if you like, to fulfil it completely. The Book of Revelation may be the prophecy of the second coming and planetary judgement?
Look, the ONLY way we have to identify whether someone is the Messiah is if they fulfill the prophecies, if they actually DO all the things the messiah is to do. Once you start saying, "Oh Jesus will return again and fulfill the rest. He is the messiah" you open yourself to ANYONE saying "I am the messiah. I'll do the rest when I come back." Heck, even *I* could claim to be the messiah using that flawed logic.