• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What is your stance on free will?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I don't believe in free will, I think the idea is ridiculous. I guess I would be more of a determinist.

The two concepts, free will and determinism, aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, as David Hume taught combatibilism, the notion that both free will and determinism are true. I don't really believe it, but it is an interesting concept.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I don't believe in free will, I think the idea is ridiculous. I guess I would be more of a determinist.

The two concepts, free will and determinism, aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, as David Hume taught combatibilism, the notion that both free will and determinism are true. I don't really believe it, but it is an interesting concept.
At its foundation, physics is indeterministic in potential but deterministic in actuality. Multiple options can happen but only one is ever actualized. Thing is quantum particles are able to cheat the system, there is no obligation for them to listen to classical physics, those are just suggestions.

nilsz

bzzt
I suspect the way free will is commonly understood is incoherent.

It seems to be defined as a capacity to act counter to what our nature would dictate, so presumably this free will is somehow influencing our physical mind-state to accomplish this. But how can this free will make good judgements unless it is itself influenced by the circumstances in which the mind operates? If it both influences and is influenced by the physical mind-state, it might as well be part of the physical mind-state, and is aslo part of our nature.

It seems silly to think that a capacity to act counter to our nature is the basis for the legal system, as it wouldn't make any sense to grant humans any responsibilities unless they were at least somewhat predictable. Its punishment is a corrective measure, for the individual and to others, for when we fail to satisfy some expactations.

I do think that many people have the mentality that punishment must be exerted even though they should be fully aware that it will not do any good, such as when the offender suffers from a mental health issue and can't be expected to improve before receiving proper treatment.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Without Free Will there is no point to life you might as well be a rock.

With Free will you can accomplish things in your life. You can chose your own path.

My definition of free will is the ability to chose without it being caused or a random selection.

I believe all life not just humans has this ability its what makes it alive.

I don't really believe in free will or determinism. I think they get the spot light a bit too often because of how polarizing they are. I find the concept of "free won't" rather persuasive.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How would you define freewill? Is free will a reality or an illusion of false power fostered by an awareness of self and the choices we think we make consciously? I'm in the con freewill camp. What about you and why do you believe as you do?

Had to post something!......I couldn't help it!

sorry

psychoslice

Veteran Member
T
I think I see what you're suggesting, but then I'm not in complete agreement either. Like a balloon blowing in the wind, the balloon in effect become the wind, or at the very least blows where the wind blows. In human terms, I'm not so sure it's as easy to go with the river as it may seem.

1) Human's are aware.

2) Human's desire control.

3. Human's are a lot different than a balloon in that our brains drive our vehicular bodies.

4) Our brain (flesh) is in direct opposition to the wind/river (spirit). This is because our brains foster awareness, and it is because we are aware that we desire control. Our brains need development in order make better more informed decisions.

5) That development can only be accomplished by knowledge and understanding.

6) Knowledge and understanding is a process whereby wisdom is gained.

7) Wisdom is developed throughout the course of a persons life.

8) Wisdom is a learned behavior.

9) That learned behavior must become a consistent pattern before wisdom can truly be claimed.

10) Without wisdom, we have no hope to become the wind/river.

Of course were not a river, but when things happen in our life that we cannot change, we can either suffer or we can just except it, which is really going with it, but not seeing it as a threat, maybe we can see it as a lesson in life which would be wisdom.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
Explain what implications?

That "Free will is the illusion of volition, but no more "false" than the idea of self that gives birth to it."

I don't understand how you can be pro free will, and then say it is an illusion of volition, then imply that it is as real as one's self.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Without Free Will there is no point to life you might as well be a rock.
Yup. But the illusion of freewill is as much a part of our being as any other aspect of our nature. Personally, although I'm a hard determinist, I go through life making "choices" just as if I could have done differently. For whatever the determining causes may be, this is the resultant effect: my day-to-day illusion of personal choice.

With Free will you can accomplish things in your life. You can chose your own path.
Yes, that would be the operating nature of freewill. And even without freewill one can accomplish things. One has no say-so in doing differently. ;)

My definition of free will is the ability to chose without it being caused or a random selection.
Whereas the hard determinist will say there's no such thing as true choosing. The active notions of choice, choose, and choosing are false.

I believe all life not just humans has this ability its what makes it alive.
An odd belief, but okay.:shrug:

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
There's an old saying, "those who go with the river becomes the river, those who go against the river becomes it slave".

In this case, there is only the river, and little swirls of water caused by turbulence in the current which appear to go against it.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
In this case, there is only the river, and little swirls of water caused by turbulence in the current which appear to go against it.

Yep that's it, when these swills happen just don't get too involved or clinging to them, its all part of the river.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Ode to the illusion of free will....

I think that my will's unconstrained,
a feeling which is quite ingrained.
And though I've volition
I've still a suspicion
my choices are all preordained.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
That "Free will is the illusion of volition, but no more "false" than the idea of self that gives birth to it."

I don't understand how you can be pro free will, and then say it is an illusion of volition, then imply that it is as real as one's self.

Volition exists. Self exists. These illusions exist, and in reality we indulge them. Not only do we indulge volition and self, but have manipulated them so successfully that we built entire civilizations around them, and fashioned civilizaiton to manipulate us in turn.

Illusion exists--if it didn't, it could have no effect on us.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ode to the illusion of free will....

I think that my will's unconstrained,
a feeling which is quite ingrained.
And though I've volition
I've still a suspicion
that what I believe's preordained.

The will that I think unconstrained
is volition, by any other name.
In the world we've built
We all run on tilt
With grand intent but no proper aim.

Sees

Dragonslayer
If you sit in stillness and quietly just observe the world, is there free-will during such time?

Some traditions touch on how to more frequently and authentically "actualize" free-will. Secret ninja stuff.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If you sit in stillness and quietly just observe the world, is there free-will during such time?

Some traditions touch on how to more frequently and authentically "actualize" free-will. Secret ninja stuff.

Its just stillness, no label needed, that is until the mind thinks about it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Thief is ninja!

The body sleeps....but the mind never 'sleeps'.
Your brain is even more active when you lay yourself down.

Freewill?....does seem compromised when we consider the flesh.
Gotta eat, sleep, drink....dream.