• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What really happens to you after you die...

Arnaud1221

Death is death. Decode the word and see that it's the end.

Maybe some will come back on Earth later although.

The rest is religion.

Tomef

I think when you die you are compelled to make a choice. First, you can decide to go into the light, look into the face of God, time stops, and you experience heavenly bliss for all eternity. And second, you decide you are not worthy, for whatever reason, and you turn away from the light. At which point, you are immediately given omnipotent powers.

Once you have omnipotent powers, everything you imagine instantly becomes reality the moment you imagine it. Then, for a few million years or so, you live out all your fantasies. You get to exercise all your desires, demons, and life regrets until they no longer have any power over you. At some point, you become bored because you can't think of anything else to experience that you haven't experienced a million times over. At that exact moment of that feeling, the light at the end of the tunnel reappears. But this time with a clean spirit you go into the light, you look into the face of God, time stops, and you experience heavenly bliss for all eternity.

So everyone will eventually make it into heaven to experience heavenly bliss for all eternity regardless of our earthly sufferings and earthly sins. What a beautiful thought. Don't you agree??? Is there anything more beautiful to hope and wish for than all our friends, family, and enemies getting to experience heavenly bliss for all eternity after they die regardless of their life history and circumstances.

My thoughts about religion are not really conventional. When I was in my 20s, I had a huge argument with a born again Christian. I said, "I can't listen to someone telling me what to think from a pulpit. I believe absolute authority comes from within." He said, "Who told you that?" This went back and forth for a while. Then, I really got the guy mad because he started talking about eternal damnation and where my soul was going to go when I died. I said, "How bad can it be? It can't be worse than living in New Jersey." He did not crack a smile.

I had to work with this guy so I tried to extend him an olive branch. I started talking about the metaphysics of Hell. I said the suffering you experience in Hell must be like an irrational number. If the suffering were a pattern that repeated eventually you would get used to it. So the suffering in Hell must be like an irrational number where it never is quite the same thing each time so as to prevent you from getting used to it. He said, "yeah, yeah, that's it." My born again friend smiled from ear to ear thinking about the prospect of my suffering in Hell. So we parted as friends. But his reaction of joy at the idea of me suffering in Hell always took me aback a bit. How good can a religion be if people who follow it take joy in other people's suffering. Evil is always where you least expect it. And what I have found, the people who are the most obsessed with morality and sin turn out to be the ones who are the most immoral.
Conversion to (usually) wasted fertiliser.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good luck to all those who think death is not the end.

I can't think of a single reason why post-mortal immortality would be desirable, useful or beneficial.

And fortunately I can't think of a single credible manner in which it could be possible.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Interesting. I thought if the story about prehistoric times is considered allegorical then both persons are considered unreal. I understand now from your writings that according to your faith every cycle had a Manifestation.

How was Adam a Manifestation for all separated human (Homo) groups? How did his message reach all the groups?
In the following passage, please note that Abdu'l-Baha did not refer to Adam as a Manifestation of God.
All he said was that we are in the cycle which began with Adam.

Each of the Divine Manifestations has likewise a cycle, and during the cycle His laws and commandments prevail and are performed. When His cycle is completed by the appearance of a new Manifestation, a new cycle begins. In this way cycles begin, end and are renewed, until a universal cycle is completed in the world, when important events and great occurrences will take place which entirely efface every trace and every record of the past; then a new universal cycle begins in the world, for this universe has no beginning. We have before stated proofs and evidences concerning this subject; there is no need of repetition.
Briefly, we say a universal cycle in the world of existence signifies a long duration of time, and innumerable and incalculable periods and epochs. In such a cycle the Manifestations appear with splendor in the realm of the visible until a great and supreme Manifestation makes the world the center of His radiance. His appearance causes the world to attain to maturity, and the extension of His cycle is very great. Afterward, other Manifestations will arise under His shadow, Who according to the needs of the time will renew certain commandments relating to material questions and affairs, while remaining under His shadow.
We are in the cycle which began with Adam, and its supreme Manifestation is Bahá’u’lláh.
Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 160-161

Also please note that in references to Adam, Baha'u'llah did not refer to Adam as a Manifestation of God, He referred to Adam as a Prophet.

All Prophets are not Manifestations of God. I am not sure what kind of Prophet Adam was since not a lot is written about him in the Baha'i Writings.

Question.—How many kinds of Prophets are there?
Answer.—Universally, the Prophets are of two kinds. One are the independent Prophets Who are followed; the other kind are not independent and are themselves followers.
The independent Prophets are the lawgivers and the founders of a new cycle. Through Their appearance the world puts on a new garment, the foundations of religion are established, and a new book is revealed. Without an intermediary They receive bounty from the Reality of the Divinity, and Their illumination is an essential illumination. They are like the sun which is luminous in itself: the light is its essential necessity; it does not receive light from any other star. These Dawning-places of the morn of Unity are the sources of bounty and the mirrors of the Essence of Reality.
The other Prophets are followers and promoters, for they are branches and not independent; they receive the bounty of the independent Prophets, and they profit by the light of the Guidance of the universal Prophets. They are like the moon, which is not luminous and radiant in itself, but receives its light from the sun.
The Manifestations of universal Prophethood Who appeared independently are, for example, Abraham, Moses, Christ, Muḥammad, the Báb and Bahá’u’lláh. But the others who are followers and promoters are like Solomon, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel. For the independent Prophets are founders; They establish a new religion and make new creatures of men; They change the general morals, promote new customs and rules, renew the cycle and the Law. Their appearance is like the season of spring, which arrays all earthly beings in a new garment, and gives them a new life.
With regard to the second sort of Prophets who are followers, these also promote the Law of God, make known the Religion of God, and proclaim His word. Of themselves they have no power and might, except what they receive from the independent Prophets.
Bahá'í Reference Library - Some Answered Questions, Pages 164-166

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Good luck to all those who think death is not the end.

I can't think of a single reason why post-mortal immortality would be desirable, useful or beneficial.

And fortunately I can't think of a single credible manner in which it could be possible.
Good luck to all those who think death is the end. They will find out soon enough that it is just the beginning of a whole new life.

Whether there is an afterlife is not about why any such afterlife would be desirable, useful or beneficial.
It may not be desirable for some people, and it will not be useful or beneficial the way this life is since it will be wholly different.
The upshot is that we just do not know in what way it will be be desirable, useful or beneficial since we don't know what it will be like.

And fortunately I can't think of a single reason why it would not be possible.
If God created a spiritual world (aka heaven) then it is not only possible, it is a reality.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
I notice the last word ^ above ^ is the word " it "
So, Just as God's spirit is a genderless "it" so is man's spirit , our spirit a neuter "it" and Not a spirit person

Thus, our 'spirit (it) returns to God in the sense a foreclosed house is returned to the owner
The house does Not move or go anywhere, but any future 'life' for the house now lies in the hands of the owner
Any future life for us now lies in the capable hands of Christ Jesus - Rev. 1:18
Jesus will 'unlock' death and the grave for mankind via a resurrection.
Some resurrected to heavenly life - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10; Luke 12:32; Luke 22:28-30
The majority can be resurrected to earthly life as Jesus' resurrections showed being restored back to live life on Earth - John 10:16

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
...............................................................................................................And fortunately I can't think of a single reason why it would not be possible....... If God created a spiritual world (aka heaven) then it is not only possible, it is a reality.
A spiritual world aka a spirit-filled world (angels) in Heaven
As Creator (Rev. 4:11) God expanded his creation to include a material world ( aka Earth ) for humans
As there is No death in Heaven, so God purposes: No death for humans on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8
Reality in the Bible is that Jesus will come. Come and bring ' healing ' to earth's nations - Rev. 22:2
'Healing' to the point that No one will say, " I am sick......" - Isaiah 33:24
Earth and its people will be happy and healthy as described in Isaiah's beautiful word picture painted for us at Isaiah 35th chapter

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I notice the last word ^ above ^ is the word " it "
So, Just as God's spirit is a genderless "it" so is man's spirit , our spirit a neuter "it" and Not a spirit person

Thus, our 'spirit (it) returns to God in the sense a foreclosed house is returned to the owner
The house does Not move or go anywhere, but any future 'life' for the house now lies in the hands of the owner
Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust (the human body) return to the earth as it was: and the spirit (the human soul) shall return unto God who gave it (the human soul).

God gave us all a soul, which is the human spirit. The soul is the person. The physical body is only needed for the soul to express itself while we are living on earth in a physical body. After the physical body dies God gives us a new form, a spiritual body, and the soul continues to express itself through that body in the spiritual world.
Any future life for us now lies in the capable hands of Christ Jesus - Rev. 1:18
Jesus will 'unlock' death and the grave for mankind via a resurrection.
Any future life for us now lies in the capable hands of God.
There will be no physical resurrection from graves.
Some resurrected to heavenly life - Rev. 20:6; 5:9-10; Luke 12:32; Luke 22:28-30
The majority can be resurrected to earthly life as Jesus' resurrections showed being restored back to live life on Earth - John 10:16
Resurrection simply means the continuation of life in another world. Some people refer to that as Heaven.

421. When the body is no longer able to perform the bodily functions in the natural world that correspond to the spirit’s thoughts and affections, which the spirit has from the spiritual world, man is said to die. This takes place when the respiration of the lungs and the beatings of the heart cease. But the man does not die; he is merely separated from the bodily part that was of use to him in the world, while the man himself continues to live. It is said that the man himself continues to live since man is not a man because of his body but because of his spirit, for it is the spirit that thinks in man, and thought with affection is what constitutes man. Evidently, then, the death of man is merely his passing from one world into another. And this is why in the Word in its internal sense “death” signifies resurrection and continuation of life. Heaven and Hell, p. 351

John 10
13 The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

In John 10:16 Jesus was referring to the future time when there will be one fold and one shepherd and there will no longer be a divided humanity.

“God’s purpose is none other than to usher in, in ways He alone can bring about, and the full significance of which He alone can fathom, the Great, the Golden Age of a long-divided, a long-afflicted humanity. Its present state, indeed even its immediate future, is dark, distressingly dark. Its distant future, however, is radiant, gloriously radiant—so radiant that no eye can visualize it.”

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
A spiritual world aka a spirit-filled world (angels) in Heaven
As Creator (Rev. 4:11) God expanded his creation to include a material world ( aka Earth ) for humans
Yes, there is a spiritual world and a material world.
The material world is for those living in a physical body. It is for people to live in until they die physically.
The spiritual world (Heaven) is where people go after their physical bodies have died.
As there is No death in Heaven, so God purposes: No death for humans on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8
There will always be death on Earth because the physical body is mortal, not immortal.
There will be no death in Heaven since the soul is immortal.
Reality in the Bible is that Jesus will come. Come and bring ' healing ' to earth's nations - Rev. 22:2
The reality is that Jesus is never coming back to Earth.

John 14:19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

John 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more.

John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

'Healing' to the point that No one will say, " I am sick......" - Isaiah 33:24
Earth and its people will be happy and healthy as described in Isaiah's beautiful word picture painted for us at Isaiah 35th chapter
As long as humans have physical bodies there will be disease and death.

Isaiah 35 is not about a coming beautiful paradisaical world. It is about what we will see after the return of Christ.

Isaiah prophesied that the Plain of Sharon and the holy mountain, Carmel, would both be centers for the light and presence of the ‘Glory of the Lord’ in the last days. All these prophecies were fulfilled after Christ returned with a new name which was Baha'u'llah.

Isaiah 35 King James Version (KJV)

35 The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. 2 It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, and the excellency of our God.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
When the meek inherit the Earth ' enemy death ' will be No more according to 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Also, Isaiah 25:8 informs us death will come to an end
We do Not pray to be ' taken away ' to the kingdom, nor pray to be ' taken up ' to the kingdom ( thy kingdom come..... )
God's will for Heaven is: No crime, No violence, No pollution, No sickness and No death in Heaven
We ask that God's will be done right here on Earth just as God's will is done in Heaven
Thus, those same heavenly conditions are to come to Earth just as those conditions exist in Heaven
The setting for chapter 35 of Isaiah is: Earth

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When the meek inherit the Earth ' enemy death ' will be No more according to 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Also, Isaiah 25:8 informs us death will come to an end
Physical death is not our enemy. Spiritual death is our enemy.
When the meek inherit the Earth there will be no more spiritual death, there will be spiritual life.
We ask that God's will be done right here on Earth just as God's will is done in Heaven
Thus, those same heavenly conditions are to come to Earth just as those conditions exist in Heaven
The kingdom of God will come to Earth but Earth will never be like Heaven since Earth is a material world and Heaven is a spiritual world.
The setting for chapter 35 of Isaiah is: Earth
Yes, the setting for Isaiah is Earth but Isaiah 35 is not about a coming beautiful paradisaical world. It is about what we will see after the return of Christ.

Isaiah prophesied that the Plain of Sharon and the holy mountain, Carmel, would both be centers for the light and presence of the ‘Glory of the Lord’ in the last days. All these prophecies were fulfilled b y the coming of Baha'u'llah, who Bahais believe was the return of Christ.

Isaiah 35 King James Version (KJV)

35 The wilderness and the solitary place shall be glad for them; and the desert shall rejoice, and blossom as the rose. 2 It shall blossom abundantly, and rejoice even with joy and singing: the glory of Lebanon shall be given unto it, the excellency of Carmel and Sharon, they shall see the glory of the Lord, and the excellency of our God.

Above Haifa, Israel, stands Mt. Carmel and Haifa's Baha'i Gardens thus fulfilling the prophecies in Isaiah 35.

When I die my self will be obliterated and what constitutes my consciousness will enter into higher transcendent state of existence. Like seafoam that returns to a wave which returns to ocean the illusion of separateness will cease forever. At least that is what they told me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When I die my self will be obliterated and what constitutes my consciousness will enter into higher transcendent state of existence. Like seafoam that returns to a wave which returns to ocean the illusion of separateness will cease forever. At least that is what they told me.
Who told you that?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I find No 'higher transcendent state of existence' in death but rather unconscious sleep - Ecclesiastes 9:5 ; Psalm 115:17; Isaiah 38:18
' seafoam/wave/ocean ' never ceases because the created ' water cycle ' will never cease - Job 36:27-28
Earth will never cease - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B; Psalm 14:5
What will cease are the unrepentant wicked people - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Proverbs 2:22; 2nd Peter 3:9
Thus, the only way for consciousness to return is by way of Resurrection ( being restored back to live life again - Acts 24:15 )
Being awakened from death's sleep because of being in God's memory ( No DNA needed ) - John 11:11-14
This is what the Bible tells us

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Physical death is not our enemy. Spiritual death is our enemy.
When the meek inherit the Earth there will be no more spiritual death, there will be spiritual life.
The kingdom of God will come to Earth but Earth will never be like Heaven since Earth is a material world and Heaven is a spiritual world.
Yes, the setting for Isaiah is Earth but Isaiah 35 is not about a coming beautiful paradisical world. It is about what we will see after the return of Christ.
..........................................................................................................................................................................................................
I can agree that right now our enemy is 'spiritual death ' ( being separated from God's love..... )
True, when the humble meek inherit the Earth (as promised at Psalms 37:9-11; 22:26; Matthew 5:5) there will be an end to spiritual death on Earth
No more spiritual death on Earth equals = No more literal fleshly death on Earth - 1st Corinthians 15:24-26
Right, Heaven is a spirit/spiritual world or realm of existence, and Earth is material/physical realm of existence
In the heavenly realm there is No sickness, No death ( No one dies in Heaven) No War, No crime, No pollution, etc. in Heaven
So, we are praying that God's healthy heavenly will ( His purpose for Heaven ) to also come and exist on Earth
An Earth with: No sickness, No death, No crime, No violence, No pollution and No War on Earth - Psalm 46:9
Yes, this we shall see after the return of Christ and during his 1000 year governmental reign over Earth - 1st Cor. 15:24-26
When God's Kingdom (Daniel 2:44) His world-wide government replaces all corrupted man-made government