• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Trinitarian churches teach about the Trinity

Niatero

*banned*
I’ve decided that it’s time for some lessons about the Trinity.:grinning: It isn’t as simple as I thought it was. What I mean by “Trinitarian churches” is churches that say they believe in The Trinity, more or less what people call “mainstream churches.” I’ll start with Methodist churches as an example.

When we say the Apostles' Creed, we join with millions of Christians through the ages in an understanding of God as a Trinity—three persons in one: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God, who is one, is revealed in three distinct persons.
- God (www.umc.org)

One key word here is “distinct.”

(later)

More examples. The bolding in all of these is mine.

Another example, from the Catholic Answers Encyclopedia
The Trinity is the term employed to signify the central doctrine of the Christian religion—the truth that in the unity of the Godhead there are Three Persons, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, these Three Persons being truly distinct one from another.

Southern Baptist:
The fact that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are distinct Persons means, in other words, that the Father is not the Son, the Son is not the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit is not the Father. Jesus is God, but he is not the Father or the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is God, but he is not the Son or the Father. They are different Persons, not three different ways of looking at God.

Evangelical Lutheran:
God is the Triune God – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - three distinct persons in one divine being (the Holy Trinity). In the simplest of terms, Christians believe in one God, but within God are three distinct persons. The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are each unique. They relate to each other in a loving eternal unity. Each person is true God. Each are eternal, infinite, all-knowing, all-powerful, all-present, without beginning or end.

The Holy Trinity is a deep, profound reality that can only be understood by faith. Some spiritual realities are beyond our human comprehension. We humbly confess that there is only one God; but within this one divine essence are three distinct, separate persons.

Each person is not a “part” of God, as if the three persons together make up one complete God. But each person is the full God. Nor is each person a different phase, aspect, or manifestation of God. Each person is distinct, uncreated and eternal. There is no perfect analogy of the Holy Trinity anywhere in the realm of nature (although some illustrations can be helpful. For example, water can be a liquid, solid or a gas.) Christians confess the mystery of the Trinity in Unity, and the Unity in Trinity.

Presbyterian:
Presbyterians, like many other Christian denominations, believe in the doctrine of the Trinity. This means that they believe in one God who exists in three distinct persons: the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.

Episcopal:
Essentially the Trinity is the belief that God is one in essence (Greek "ousia"), but distinct in person (Greek "hypostasis").

They all say that God is three distinct persons. Some examples of how they explain that are in post #18.

Last edited:

Soapy

Son of his Father: The Heir and Prince
I’ve decided that it’s time for some lessons about the Trinity.:grinning: It isn’t as simple as I thought it was. What I mean by “Trinitarian churches” is churches that say they believe in The Trinity, more or less what people call “mainstream churches.” I’ll start with Methodist churches as an example.

- God (www.umc.org)

Can you say what you think of this:
  1. God is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit’
  2. Jesus is God
  3. Jesus is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

2. The Father is God
  3. The Father is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

2. The Holy Spirit is God
  3. The Holy Spirit is ‘Father, Son, and Holy Spirit

Niatero

*banned*
  2. Jesus is God

2. The Father is God

What I think about it is that you are contradicting the teachings of all the mainstream churches of Christianity about the Trinity, as much as Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Unity churches and Seventh Day Adventists.

Last edited:

amazing grace

When we say the Apostles' Creed, we join with millions of Christians through the ages in an understanding of God as a Trinity—three persons in one: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God, who is one, is revealed in three distinct persons.
- God (www.umc.org)

The Apostles' Creed does not indicate nor mention the idea of "God as a Trinity --- three persons in one: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God who is one, is revealed in three distinct persons."

THE APOSTLES'S CREED: I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic (universal) church, the communion of the saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

It was the other creeds that introduced the idea of the Trinity, the idea of Jesus' preexistence, the idea of the incarnation, and the idea of Jesus being coequal in all ways with Almighty God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Niatero

*banned*
  2. Jesus is God

2. The Father is God

To put it a different way, I think that you're contradicting the teachings of all the churches, but that's okay with me if it's okay with you.

Niatero

*banned*
The Apostles' Creed does not indicate nor mention the idea of "God as a Trinity --- three persons in one: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God who is one, is revealed in three distinct persons."

THE APOSTLES'S CREED: I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried; he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic (universal) church, the communion of the saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.

It was the other creeds that introduced the idea of the Trinity, the idea of Jesus' preexistence, the idea of the incarnation, and the idea of Jesus being coequal in all ways with Almighty God the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Thank you. In this thread I'm just trying to inform people about the teachings of the Trinitarian churches about the Trinity. What I personally think about it will be mostly in other threads.

Soapy

What I think about it is that you are contradicting the teachings of all the mainstream churches of Christianity about the Trinity, as much as Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Unity churches and Seventh Day Adventists.
It’s a question… I asked a question but you turned it into a statement and proceeded to criticise it.

This shows you are in fear. You purport to be seeking information: knowledge and wisdom about God - but you baulk at responding to a simple question…. Why??

As for contradicting the teachings of mainstream churches - ABSOLUTELY I AM!!!!

That’s my point.., yes. But, it’s best to ANSWER a question set to you FIRST and then set out your thoughts on anything else afterwards … please!!!

Soapy

To put it a different way, I think that you're contradicting the teachings of all the churches, but that's okay with me if it's okay with you.
Just answer the question…. Put your otherwise thoughts afterwards!!!!

Niatero

*banned*
  2. Jesus is God

2. The Father is God

I think that it displays ignorance about the meanings of the word “is” in Trinity doctrines.

Brian2

Veteran Member

I think that early Seventh Day Adventists did not believe in the trinity, but later their teachings were changed to belief in the trinity.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Trinity is a modern word for the Biblical word Godhead

Niatero

*banned*
Most or all of the Trinitarian churches teach that God is three distinct persons. Now I'll give examples of how they explain what that means.

All the bolding is mine.

Methodist:
The Father is not the same person as the Son. The Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the same person as the Father

Catholic
... the Essence which possesses equality and does not admit of solitariness is understood to belong to the same Substance but not the same Person.

Baptist:
... the Three Persons are not the same Person, but are actually distinct from one another.

Lutheran:
This God who created all things exists eternally as three distinct Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same Person as the Son. The Son is not the same Person as the Holy Spirit.

Presbyterian:
... the Father is not the same person as the Son.

Episcopal:
The Son is not the Father

Niatero

*banned*
Most or all of the Trinitarian churches teach that God is three distinct persons. Now I'll give examples of how they explain what that means.

All the bolding is mine.

Methodist:
The Father is not the same person as the Son. The Son is not the same person as the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is not the same person as the Father

Catholic
... the Essence which possesses equality and does not admit of solitariness is understood to belong to the same Substance but not the same Person.

Baptist:
... the Three Persons are not the same Person, but are actually distinct from one another.

Lutheran:
This God who created all things exists eternally as three distinct Persons: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The Father is not the same Person as the Son. The Son is not the same Person as the Holy Spirit.

Presbyterian:
... the Father is not the same person as the Son.

Episcopal:
The Son is not the Father

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
@Niatero OP said:
"I’ve decided that it’s time for some lessons about the Trinity. [grinning] It isn’t as simple as I thought it was."
#19:
"Most or all of the Trinitarian churches teach that God is three distinct persons. Now I'll give examples of how they explain what that means.

All the bolding is mine."

Step back a few steps -- before 70 CE and the destruction of the Temple, back to the true beginning of Christianity when the Apostles led the cause of speading the Good News......

Is the God of Abraham the same God of Jesus? yes or no

Is the God of Jesus the same God of Christianity? yes or no

Through #19 nothing has been explained other than the confusion.

Now proceed with the discussion.......

Last edited: