• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What was last movie you watched?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Fifth Element, rewatch.

It's so bad it's good!

5element.jpg

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Odd Thomas.

It was on Netflix; always a toss-up on what you're gonna end up with. This ended up being pretty great. About a guy who can sense dead people and works to right their wrongs; he senses a big doomsday is coming to his town and sets about trying to prevent it.

freethinker44

Odd Thomas.

It was on Netflix; always a toss-up on what you're gonna end up with. This ended up being pretty great. About a guy who can sense dead people and works to right their wrongs; he senses a big doomsday is coming to his town and sets about trying to prevent it.

I didn't know they made a movie of that. I read the book years ago. It was pretty good, even with the Skooby-Doo ending. I'll have to look that up.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Old Boy (2013). Preferred the Korean version, but it was okay.

I've heard that the remake is essentially awful. The Korean Old Boy is excellent. I would like to see the remake anyway, just so I can see what it's like/maybe get reasons to judge it :D

Odd Thomas.

I saw that movie on tv recently. Apparently it got bad reviews, but I liked it; I thought it was a pretty good movie.

This weekend, I saw Brick Mansions. It was a fun movie. If it actually took itself entirely seriously, I would say it's an awful movie, but since it didn't take itself so seriously, I enjoyed the ride.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I didn't know they made a movie of that. I read the book years ago. It was pretty good, even with the Skooby-Doo ending. I'll have to look that up.

I saw that movie on tv recently. Apparently it got bad reviews, but I liked it; I thought it was a pretty good movie.

Ooh, now I'm gonna have to find the book!

There was some cheesiness, but it wasn't the sort of cheesiness where they don't know it's cheesy. It was embraced and woven into the whole campy feel.

I liked the guy who plays Odd (he's Chekov from the new Star Trek); good actor. The actress who plays Stormy, his girlfriend, reminded me of Rory Gilmore's delivery at times; not as good an actress as Odd, but she seemed to fit the part perfectly. There's also Wilhem Defoe. And if that doesn't convince you to watch it, nothing will. :D

Also, the level of emotion they were able to evoke was pretty impressive. My boyfriend and I were so stressed out most of the movie because of the suspense and paranoia we were feeling.

And
the ending made me cry. I can't even remember the last movie that made me cry.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Flatland:

Pretty cool, a mix of bunch of interesting subjects. Makes you wonder about higher dimensions ya know... eh... not really.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Lords of Salem. It was really awful. Lol.

Yep!

I said that in a comment on Rob Zombie's facebook page (either official or fan page), and got banned a couple hours later.

I love Rob Zombie's music, and some of his movies, but Lords of Salem was just ***** on a stick.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
Yep!

I said that in a comment on Rob Zombie's facebook page (either official or fan page), and got banned a couple hours later.

I love Rob Zombie's music, and some of his movies, but Lords of Salem was just ***** on a stick.

Lol. I liked House of a 1,000 Corpses, the Devil's Rejects and the second Halloween movie he did but Lords of Salem really dropped the ball. I wasn't expecting it to be Oscar-caliber since his movies are just tributes to '60s and '70s exploitation horror and old Hammer movies (that's how Tarantino and Rodriguez roll, too) but that was just seriously BAD. I wonder if the book is better...

Last edited:

CynthiaCypher

I was trying to watch The Winter Soldier but I couldn't make it all the way through because Scarlett Johansson's voice just grates my nerves.

freethinker44

I was trying to watch The Winter Soldier but I couldn't make it all the way through because Scarlett Johansson's voice just grates my nerves.

I thought I was the only one who didn't like her. Totally don't get why people are so crazy about her, she is the worst part of every great movie she's been in.

CynthiaCypher

I thought I was the only one who didn't like her. Totally don't get why people are so crazy about her, she is the worst part of every great movie she's been in.

Every time I close my eyes when I hear her voice, I hear Fran Drescher. They both have these annoying nasal voices.

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Every time I close my eyes when I hear her voice, I hear Fran Drescher. They both have these annoying nasal voices.

This is the first time I have heard of anyone disliking Scarlett Johansson's husky, sexy voice. It's her go-to. I guess there's no accounting for taste.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Ooh, now I'm gonna have to find the book!

There was some cheesiness, but it wasn't the sort of cheesiness where they don't know it's cheesy. It was embraced and woven into the whole campy feel.

I liked the guy who plays Odd (he's Chekov from the new Star Trek); good actor. The actress who plays Stormy, his girlfriend, reminded me of Rory Gilmore's delivery at times; not as good an actress as Odd, but she seemed to fit the part perfectly. There's also Wilhem Defoe. And if that doesn't convince you to watch it, nothing will. :D

Also, the level of emotion they were able to evoke was pretty impressive. My boyfriend and I were so stressed out most of the movie because of the suspense and paranoia we were feeling.

And
the ending made me cry. I can't even remember the last movie that made me cry.

Yeah, it was a fun movie. I also thought end was pretty emotional.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've heard that the remake is essentially awful. The Korean Old Boy is excellent. I would like to see the remake anyway, just so I can see what it's like/maybe get reasons to judge it :D

I think some of the opinions considering it awful are partially motivated by viewing the remake as unnecessary to begin with. So it's viewed as an all around failed attempt at remaking something that was already remarkable.

If someone doesn't mind remakes in principle as much, i think they might rate it slightly better than that. In my view, it's definitely not nearly as good as the Korean film, but i don't think it was outright awful either.

It's basically more rushed (16 minutes shorter) and falls short in regards to the build up particularly (not as detailed and raw), tamer, with small changes at certain parts, and not equally as powerful an experience all around. The original was an extremely disturbing, unique experience that had terrific acting and pretty amazing visuals. This one wasn't nearly as strong.

But, for one thing, i think Josh Brolin was great, and his performance alone made checking out the film worthwhile for me. The experience was still interesting despite of how short it fell in comparison, and there are some other performances that were worth watching too. So i think it's worth checking out.