• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When I Die

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I was listening to a sermon today, and it shed light on this matter- and if i may I'd like to share

Can someone be considered "good", in the eyes of man perhaps....

but to be good is to not be bad, and to be bad is to sin, and sin is what God hates.

by the life you've lived no matter who you are on the planet today, you deserve to be condemned to hell (and im talking about everyone reading this)

i deserve to be condemned to hell and so do you

why? because I've sinned.

the greatest person you may have known, someone you grew up with- perhaps your mother, or a friend who lived a life of a saint, who saved countless lives with charity work.... they've sinned- they deserve to go to hell

there isn't a case of, "it's okay because you saved your brother in law from suicide- so that cancels out some of the other sins you've committed"

no, its a simple case of- have you broken God's law? have you sinned? everyone reading this knows in their own hearts the answer is yes, they've sinned, they deserve to go to hell (and bear in mind, becoming angry with someone, hating someone, that is sin- concealing it in your heart- that is sin- God is holy, he is perfect- God hates sin)

and the only thing that will save you is that God loves us all enough he would take all those sins- all that condemnation that we've done, and his own son would endure it for us

salvation through Christ.

thats why Christianity is different, thats why no matter what you'll do in life- no matter how many great deeds, or great acts of piety.... if you go to your grave without accepting Christ, your sins are going to condemn you when you come before our Lord God.

and I'm sorry if that sounds horrible to you, or if you know anyone who you considered as good but they didn't accept Christ- guess what, they sinned as well... they broke God's laws, they did what he hates and they have no defense to it

you have the choice, you have been granted such great things from God, the intelligence to reason, to comprehend, to understand so much- but you know as well as anyone else- you're only guarantee is that you're going to die one day, and unless you believe as atheists do that you're final destination is worm food and that you have no soul, then there will more to it then just death

I wasn't born a Christian, I was as far removed from being one as you could imagine. I scoffed and laughed myself at Christian thought that another man dying for me or shedding his blood was going to make all the difference in my life- my family is a Muslim family.... i didn't know anyone who was truly a Christian untill i came online and met some- my only experience of Christianity were agnostic christians (in name only) who themselves knew less of the bible then i did (and i hadn't read it yet)

but even i knew then- i sinned, and i knew God hated sin- i had no guarantee and only worry that no matter what i did (my works) it would never be enough to cancel out my sins.... if anything i was trying to buy my way into heaven by doing good, whilst still doing bad things, still getting angry unfairly, still feeling hate sometimes, still getting into arguments- its all sin

Accepting Christ isn't a get out of jail free card, no- truly accepting Christ in your heart does one thing to you- it makes you hate the sin you used to consider was fine before (those little sins we all do, that we think is no big deal), it changes you- and it does truly have a profound efect upon your life. im by no means perfect, but i'm trying... and if i've sounded harsh before i truly appologise, i'm still trying to walk the path and it isn't easy

Absolutely revolting. No human "deserves" to burn for eternity, how is that possibly just or fair? How do you rationalize that? It's like torturing and executing someone as punishment for jay walking. You make god sound like a sadistic, petty, infantile ogre. Certainly not worthy of my worship I can tell you that.

lunamoth

Will to love
What do you think will happen to me?

The same thing that happens to everyone else.

You will find yourself in a comfortable white room with two doors. You will have to choose the door that takes you closer to God or the door that takes you further from Him.

The door that takes you closer to God is the Christ-shaped door.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The same thing that happens to everyone else.

You will find yourself in a comfortable white room with two doors. You will have to choose the door that takes you closer to God or the door that takes you further from Him.

The door that takes you closer to God is the Christ-shaped door.
I'm assuming this is symbolic. I am right about that, aren't I? But it sounds as if you're saying that a choice can be made after death. I wouldn't expect you to believe that to be the case. Am I wrong, or just misunderstanding you?

lunamoth

Will to love
I'm assuming this is symbolic. I am right about that, aren't I? But it sounds as if you're saying that a choice can be made after death. I wouldn't expect you to believe that to be the case. Am I wrong, or just misunderstanding you?

It is symbolic. The choice I described is at the point of death.

I'm curious why you think I wouldn't believe in choice after that. I don't know what happens after that, but I see no reason to say there is no choice after death.

Buttercup

Veteran Member

I'm curious why you think I wouldn't believe in choice after that. I don't know what happens after that, but I see no reason to say there is no choice after death.
Do you think people actually turn down God if they're standing right before him after death?

Is it your thought that people have a more clear perspective about God after death or is it the same clarity as while one is alive? Just curious. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm still not getting it. "At the point of death" meaning immediately before death or immediately after death?

I just thought most Christians believed that death is more or less the final curtain and that there was no chance for a person to change his mind, so to speak, after death.

lunamoth

Will to love
Do you think people actually turn down God if they're standing right before him after death?
I have no idea.

That's why I used the door metaphor. You choose the door you find attractive and want to go through. You might not call it Christ or God. :shrug:

Is it your thought that people have a more clear perspective about God after death or is it the same clarity as while one is alive? Just curious. :)

My thought is that our life leads up to our death. (In death I think there are fewer distractions. )

lunamoth

Will to love
Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm still not getting it. "At the point of death" meaning immediately before death or immediately after death?
Immediately after.

I know you're not being argumentative. :)

I just thought most Christians believed that death is more or less the final curtain and that there was no chance for a person to change his mind, so to speak, after death.

I guess it's a matter of whether and how you recognize the Christ-shaped door.

Since I am imagining this as at the point of death, there's not much more chance for learning anything else to help you with your decision.

I'm being a little cryptic here Katz, not to annoy anyone but to allow a bit more exploration of the theme.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
My thought is that our life leads up to our death. (In death I think there are fewer distractions. )
Do you believe in reincarnation?

For most of my life I've had this thought in the back of my head that when we die this "light" comes on in our soul and suddenly we see with superb clarity. All of our motives, thoughts and deeds become transparent and the actions and deeds of others do as well. That all of sudden we "get" what all of life was about and why we're here.

I've just realized in the last year or so how stupid it is to think that way. I have no idea where it came from either. There isn't a single person living or dead who can really tell us what happens after we die. And, even if they did come back and tell us....would we believe it? :shrug:

lunamoth

Will to love
Do you believe in reincarnation?
No.

For most of my life I've had this thought in the back of my head that when we die this "light" comes on in our soul and suddenly we see with superb clarity. All of our motives, thoughts and deeds become transparent and the actions and deeds of others do as well. That all of sudden we "get" what all of life was about and why we're here.
That is similar to the way I imagine judgement, and I know a lot of other Christians who think of it this way as well; in a way we judge ourselves.

Guess that's why we're also supposed to practice forgiving. :D

I've just realized in the last year or so how stupid it is to think that way. I have no idea where it came from either. There isn't a single person living or dead who can really tell us what happens after we die. And, even if they did come back and tell us....would we believe it? :shrug:

I don't think it is stupid, but you are right that we don't know and no matter what happens we'd most likely be skeptical when faced with the information.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
When I die..I have ZERO idea what happnens to me..I know (or believe) one thing..I'm not dead ...

Love

Dallas

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Guess that's why we're also supposed to practice forgiving. :D
Amen, sistah! My actions have changed very, very little since I left Christianity. The only difference I see is that I'm happier and feel much less guilt. Now, living and practicing "love" feels right although I'm not perfect. If there is a place we go after we die, I can only hope that I listened to the higher calling more times than not so that I barely squeek in. :D

lunamoth

Will to love
Amen, sistah! My actions have changed very, very little since I left Christianity. The only difference I see is that I'm happier and feel much less guilt. Now, living and practicing "love" feels right although I'm not perfect. If there is a place we go after we die, I can only hope that I listened to the higher calling more times than not so that I barely squeek in. :D

If you live and practice love (as I know you do), I don't think there will be any squeeking about it.

Christ = God = Love, right?

So, I'm sure you'll recognize the Love-shaped door.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
If you live and practice love (as I know you do), I don't think there will be any squeeking about it.

Christ = God = Love, right?

So, I'm sure you'll recognize the Love-shaped door.
Well, as always, I love your interpretation of Christianity. It sounds so much more like what a true "loving" God is ...not a being who sends people to suffer in hell for all eternity as punishment for living a measly time on earth with our stupid hats on. :p

lunamoth

Will to love
Well, as always, I love your interpretation of Christianity. It sounds so much more like what a true "loving" God is ...not a being who sends people to suffer in hell for all eternity as punishment for living a measly time on earth with our stupid hats on. :p

Thanks BC. :hug:

Smoke

Done here.
by the life you've lived no matter who you are on the planet today, you deserve to be condemned to hell (and im talking about everyone reading this)

i deserve to be condemned to hell and so do you

why? because I've sinned.

the greatest person you may have known, someone you grew up with- perhaps your mother, or a friend who lived a life of a saint, who saved countless lives with charity work.... they've sinned- they deserve to go to hell
Anyone who believes that everyone who ever lived deserves to be tortured for ever worships a monster.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
I do wish I could see my family and friends again. That part not happening really blows. Also I would have really liked to have met my grandma--my mom's mom--because she died when my mom was 7...so I never got to meet her. I've seen pictures, though...she was so gorgeous! :(