• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When Should We Not Love?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
I know the question wasn't directed at me...

but I love you. And my neighbor, and yours as well.

Now tell me what that love for my neighbour means then. Because when I love someone, I would risk my job for them, my life if needed.. Without thinking.

That's what love means to me. And that's what I mean with "The more you "love" the less meaning the word get."

Technically I think love is an extreme form of "like". I like you, so in that case, you can be right. The reason I use the word 'like' however is to give the word 'love' more meaning.

.lava

Veteran Member
Now tell me what that love for my neighbour means then. Because when I love someone, I would risk my job for them, my life if needed.. Without thinking.

That's what love means to me. And that's what I mean with "The more you "love" the less meaning the word get."

Technically I think love is an extreme form of "like". I like you, so in that case, you can be right. The reason I use the word 'like' however is to give the word 'love' more meaning.

risk your job? what are you...a secret agent? you know, i've met many people who says "i would die for my love" but unfortunately i never met anyone yet who says that he would survive for his love.

love has degrees. some people i love more, some i love less. but motivation is love. it is truely up to people to build a relationship based on what's in common or a relationship based on differences. i prefer to look for what we have in common. if it is humanity, then let it be. if it is taste of music, it is fine with me. it is so simple.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
risk your job? what are you...a secret agent?
SSSHHHHHHTTTTT!!! why don't you scream it of the roofs!?!! :cool:

you know, i've met many people who says "i would die for my love" but unfortunately i never met anyone yet who says that he would survive for his love.
Ok, I would survive for them as well. THe purpose was to show you that when I say I love someone, it means more than just a word or a place on a scale.

love has degrees. some people i love more, some i love less. but motivation is love. it is truely up to people to build a relationship based on what's in common or a relationship based on differences. i prefer to look for what we have in common. if it is humanity, then let it be. if it is taste of music, it is fine with me. it is so simple.
That's why I make a difference between love and like. I do understand your motivation though, but I have to be honest here, I like you, I like my neightbour (both somewhere on your version of the scale of love), but I certainly do not like your neighbour. I don't dislike him either btw. And if you tell your neighbour this and he appears to love me, I really don't care, it means completelly nothing to me.

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
SSSHHHHHHTTTTT!!! why don't you scream it of the roofs!?!! :cool:

Ok, I would survive for them as well. THe purpose was to show you that when I say I love someone, it means more than just a word or a place on a scale.

That's why I make a difference between love and like. I do understand your motivation though, but I have to be honest here, I like you, I like my neightbour (both somewhere on your version of the scale of love), but I certainly do not like your neighbour. I don't dislike him either btw. And if you tell your neighbour this and he appears to love me, I really don't care, it means completelly nothing to me.

yes, please survive and love enough to live for it.

that scale of love means very much to me. my love for my mom is on that scale too. to me, it is like different tones of the same colour and everyone, i mean EVERYONE is irreplaceable. everyone is unique. another Bouncing Ball does not exist. so just because i say there is a scale of love would not make anyone more or less valuable. however being close and being away both mean 'a distance'.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
that scale of love means very much to me. my love for my mom is on that scale too. to me, it is like different tones of the same colour and everyone, i mean EVERYONE is irreplaceable. everyone is unique. another Bouncing Ball does not exist.

Actually, because there were so many Bouncing Balls, I changed my name to BucephalusBB on new forums :D

so just because i say there is a scale of love would not make anyone more or less valuable. however being close and being away both mean 'a distance'.
Then there is our difference. People I love do have more value to me. And people I like have more value to me than people I don't know.

.lava

Veteran Member
[/font]
Actually, because there were so many Bouncing Balls, I changed my name to BucephalusBB on new forums :D

ahh come on! you know exactly what i mean.

Then there is our difference. People I love do have more value to me. And people I like have more value to me than people I don't know.

that is your scale. so you love them equally and those you like, you like all of them equally? i don't think it is possible.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
ahh come on! you know exactly what i mean.

uhhu..

that is your scale. so you love them equally and those you like, you like all of them equally? i don't think it is possible.
Nope, my scale is a line as well. The difference is that I require you to be at a certain point in the scale before you "earned" my love (before I start calling it "love" that is).
And that there are more people off the scale than on it.

With that, perhaps, the difference can also be that I have animals on the scale, even though the biggest part of humanity isn't on it.

.lava

Veteran Member
[/font]
uhhu..

Nope, my scale is a line as well. The difference is that I require you to be at a certain point in the scale before you "earned" my love (before I start calling it "love" that is).
And that there are more people off the scale than on it.

With that, perhaps, the difference can also be that I have animals on the scale, even though the biggest part of humanity isn't on it.

so there is an animal on your love list and i could not even make it
1346.gif

how did that poor animal earn your love, Majesty? what does even earn mean, for God's sake? i don't earn love, i steal it OK?! err

i have certain amount of love, trust and respect for everyone. i mean, for strangers. only in time they can lessen my feelings for them. and only after that, after damaging that natural stand, if they wish they can 'earn' it back.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
so there is an animal on your love list and i could not even make it
1346.gif

how did that poor animal earn your love, Majesty? what does even earn mean, for God's sake? i don't earn love, i steal it OK?! err
That poor animal was there for me when my girlfriend broke up, that poor animal listened to me when my grandmother died or when I was angry with my mother. And then again for feeling a fool as my mother was right al allong. That animal played with me when I was bored and that animal came to me when he noticed I was sad or in pain. That animal did exactly all that in his power to comfort and please me just like any other loved one did for me.

Besides, you are on my like list. Like I said, most people are not on that list
i have certain amount of love, trust and respect for everyone. i mean, for strangers. only in time they can lessen my feelings for them. and only after that, after damaging that natural stand, if they wish they can 'earn' it back.
I have trust in most before I know them. If you want my love or respect however, you need to earn it. However, once you earned it, it's worth a lot and won't let go that easy..

Last edited:

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
No! the cornerstone in Islam is to avoid God's displeasure in every single deed in your life and even in your conscience. .....
Greetings Mohammed_beiruti. You cornerstone of avoiding God's displeasure is a new one for me. My readings in the distant past left me with the impressions that Muhammad expressed Love of Allah as the highest principle and secondly, putting joy into the heart of another. Are my impressions incorrect?
Best Wishes,
a..1

mohammed_beiruti

My readings in the distant past left me with the impressions that Muhammad expressed Love of Allah as the highest principle and secondly, putting joy into the heart of another. Are my impressions incorrect?
Best Wishes,
a..1

Muhammad expressed Love of Allah as the highest principle

someone shall not displease his beloved, shall he?
bear in mind, Allah in islam is Free of all wants.

secondly,putting joy into the heart of another.

what do you mean by "another", like whom?

anyway, Allah look at our intents, in islam we do Good deeds for the sake of Allah. we call it " sincere deed".

Last edited:

Darkwater

Every body,every day,kills things in love.Their is no exception to this,& there is no guilt or shame in this,only religious style hypocracy.

Darkwater

I may need you to elaborate on this. What are we killing in love? And if the question fits - how?

sure mlg...

Well everything is a living thing,energy.

Even although vegetables do not squeal & bleed when killed,they are no less a living thing than you or I.

You kill things to survive,or living things are killed for your consumption.

All is love,even killing.

You never stop loving,everything you do is love.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous1one1
Muhammad expressed Love of Allah as the highest principle

someone shall not displease his beloved, shall he?
bear in mind, Allah in islam is Free of all wants.
Greetings. Thanks for responding to my comments. Yes, one would try not to displease his/her beloved, but the reason one does this is love of the beloved not fear of displeasing the beloved isn't it? Isn't Love the driving force? Forgive me if my questions seem pushy; just trying to understand your viewpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autonomous1one1
secondly, putting joy into the heart of another.

what do you mean by "another", like whom?
My memory is drawing on something read over forty years ago, but as recalled 'another' refers to any other human being, Muslim or not.

anyway, Allah look at our intents, in islam we do Good deeds for the sake of Allah. we call it " sincere deed".
Is doing 'for the sake of' the same as doing 'to avoid displeasure of' ?

We, as children of God, are always called to love one another. Jesus Christ said "love one another as I have loved you" To love your brother means you are not a liar, but stand on principle and The Truth that you too love Jesus Christ. For if you love your brother, whom you see, than you love Jesus Christ, whom you cannot see. Love is far and beyond more powerful than hate. Love your neighbor as yourself. Love your enemies because they too deserve to be loved. You show love most honestly when you forgive trespasses against you and forget about it. Always Love! Love, which we show, works through faith, which we believe. So if you firmly believe in The Truth that has set you free, than you should also prove what you believe by expressing your love that is free. Just like you come to church with a open heart to praise and worship Jesus Christ, you come also to love with an open heart that shows you care and appreciate what you have received in life. Amen.
;)

Last edited:

Darkwater

Meh,be like Jesus while we enslave your mind & steal stuff from you.......Anyone apart from Christian is not your brother so they are enemies......then let your enemies kill you....Harrowing of hell was pretty cool thing to do,in saying that,the 3 day thing.:)

Jesus=piniata man