• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
And continue recycling

To some extent, I believe in recycling, although I'm sure it's not the same as what you believe. I know you're an atheist, so I don't expect you to believe me when I tell you what I believe regarding the afterlife. Based on my years of experience with what I believe to be earthbound human spirits and my research into reincarnation, I believe it is a possibility. I believe it's possible for human spirits to choose between crossing over into the spirit world and remaining earthbound, so I don't think it's unreasonable for me to believe that a human spirit can also choose to be reborn into a new physical life. To be honest, the possibility of reincarnation intrigues me, as do the stories I've read about it. I've researched reincarnation stories online and found several that were quite convincing, such as the case of Ryan Hammons. In addition to Ryan, there are many more cases of children remembering specific details about individuals they'd never met or a dead language they could speak, and the child's parents having no idea where their child learned it. In fact, the details provided by the children were confirmed to be accurate. I've also read a few professional studies that were conducted on young children who recalled memories from a past life, such as "Life Before Life: Children's Memories of Previous Lives" by Dr. Jim B. Tucker, which I find very intriguing, as is his other book, "Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives." Of course, I can't say with absolute certainty that reincarnation occurs because I don't have any memories of a previous life, but I have read several stories and books and watched documentaries that, in my opinion, present compelling evidence that reincarnation is possible. As I said, I don't expect you to believe that it is possible. The subject came to mind when I read your post, "And continued recycling," because in a sense, recycling souls is what reincarnation is believed to be. For reference, I've decided to include some of the articles I've read.

Dr. Ian Stevenson’s Reincarnation Research

9 Amazing Reincarnation Stories From Children

Tales Told by Children Remembering Their Past Lives

Psychology Today: When Children Remember Past Lives

Reincarnation Stories: Children Who Remember Their Past Lives

Chilling Reincarnation Stories: Meet 6 People Who Lived Before

'Return To Life': How some children have memories of reincarnation

University of Virginia: Children Who Report Memories of Previous Lives

5 Mysterious Cases of Children Who Claimed to Remember Their Past Lives

Little boy’s eerie reincarnation story freaks out mom in viral TikTok: ‘This is scary’

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
To some extent, I believe in recycling, although I'm sure it's not the same as what you believe. I know you're an atheist, so I don't expect you to believe me when I tell you what I believe regarding the afterlife. Based on my years of experience with what I believe to be earthbound human spirits and my research into reincarnation, I believe it is a possibility. I believe it's possible for human spirits to choose between crossing over into the spirit world and remaining earthbound, so I don't think it's unreasonable for me to believe that a human spirit can also choose to be reborn into a new physical life. To be honest, the possibility of reincarnation intrigues me, as do the stories I've read about it. I've researched reincarnation stories online and found several that were quite convincing, such as the case of Ryan Hammons. In addition to Ryan, there are many more cases of children remembering specific details about individuals they'd never met or a dead language they could speak, and the child's parents having no idea where their child learned it. In fact, the details provided by the children were confirmed to be accurate. I've also read a few professional studies that were conducted on young children who recalled memories from a past life, such as "Life Before Life: Children's Memories of Previous Lives" by Dr. Jim B. Tucker, which I find very intriguing, as is his other book, "Return to Life: Extraordinary Cases of Children Who Remember Past Lives." Of course, I can't say with absolute certainty that reincarnation occurs because I don't have any memories of a previous life, but I have read several stories and books and watched documentaries that, in my opinion, present compelling evidence that reincarnation is possible. As I said, I don't expect you to believe that it is possible. The subject came to mind when I read your post, "And continued recycling," because in a sense, recycling souls is what reincarnation is believed to be. For reference, I've decided to include some of the articles I've read.

Little boy’s eerie reincarnation story freaks out mom in viral TikTok: ‘This is scary’
So you're not an atheist? Which god do you believe in?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

INFORMATIVE

Though i think we see recycling in different ways. My view is the definition of death is when brain function ceases. So no "spirit" to carry ob

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
INFORMATIVE

Though i think we see recycling in different ways. My view is the definition of death is when brain function ceases. So no "spirit" to carry ob

I believe the same about the body dying (the brain and heart both stop upon death). That, I believe, is why some Christians are so fixated on the Bible verse, "The dead know nothing." While I believe that our body will die, I also believe that our consciousness "lives on" in the form of energy, which I believe is our spirit. Furthermore, I believe that we maintain our memories and knowledge (as well as our personality) after death, but we gain a new perspective on our life and are able to better understand the circumstances of our life. I believe this to be true based on my understanding of the afterlife.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I believe the same about the body dying (the brain and heart both stop upon death). That, I believe, is why some Christians are so fixated on the Bible verse, "The dead know nothing." While I believe that our body will die, I also believe that our consciousness "lives on" in the form of energy, which I believe is our spirit. Furthermore, I believe that we maintain our memories and knowledge (as well as our personality) after death, but we gain a new perspective on our lives and are able to better understand the circumstances of our lives. I believe this to be true based on my experiences over the years.

As far as is understood by neuroscience, consciousness is a function of different parts of the brain communicating. On brain death that communication stops.

Although some people think it escapes the brain I don't see how it can with nothing to drive it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Based on what I've experienced, speaking with the dead isn't rare because there are plenty of earthbound human spirits to interact with and communicate with. That's not to mention a spirit portal (such as mirrors, windows, and doorways) or a spiritual vortex (learn about it here) that serve as gateways for spirits (human and nonhuman entities) to travel between the spiritual realm and the physical world. It is my belief as a medium and a spiritualist that the spirit realm is an everlasting existence that is neither bound by space nor time, nor is it limited to heaven or hell. As a matter of fact, I don't believe that there is a heaven or hell, so I don't believe that human spirits are or will be imprisoned in either one for eternity. I don't believe in heaven or hell because I disagree with what the Bible teaches about the afterlife and what it says will happen to people after they die. On the contrary, I believe that human spirits can generally choose whether to cross over or remain earthbound, but there are some spirits who become trapped in the physical world and require the assistance of a psychic medium to cross over. And based on my knowledge and personal experience, I believe that the following factors contribute to why there are earthbound spirits: (1) There are spirits who don’t realize that they are dead because they died unexpectedly and are now confused and don't understand what is happening to them; (2) They are upset and scared about dying unexpectedly and are in denial; (3) They have unfinished business, such as wanting to let their loved ones know that they are okay or feeling obligated to watch over their loved ones; (4) They are angry and are seeking justice or retribution; and (5) They prefer to be around the living because they miss being alive or because they "feed on" the negative emotions of the living.

The last four reasons I listed above are why I believe that a human spirit's experience is often primarily determined by them and can be either positive or negative depending on how they handle their death and even what kind of person they were in life. I've been directly speaking to and interacting with human spirits for several years, and these experiences have demonstrated to me that a person's character in this life can carry over into the afterlife and determine their fate. And, lastly, I believe that human spirits can also attach themselves to a person or a specific object, or they will remain in the location where they died (such as their home or a hospital) or in another familiar location that they frequently visited while they were still alive, and they will even stay near their grave or at the side of a highway if they died there in a vehicle accident. My beliefs about earthbound spirits and the afterlife are founded on my 44 years of personal experience as a psychic medium, the last 16 of which I have spent as a practicing medium and as an experienced paranormal investigator. In my opinion, the evidence of paranormal phenomena that I have recorded or that other paranormal investigators (whom I know and trust to be honest) have recorded validates my experiences as a medium. Finally, I'd like to say that it's entirely your decision whether you accept or reject what I've told you. Frankly, it doesn't matter to me whether you believe me or not because your disbelief doesn't negate the 44 years of experience that I have.
I believe what you think as experience must be imagination.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
As far as is understood by neuroscience, consciousness is a function of different parts of the brain communicating. On brain death that communication stops.

Although some people think it escapes the brain I don't see how it can with nothing to drive it.
Another theory is that the physical body has an interpenetrating astral/soul body that separates from the physical body during death-like trauma (as in Near Death Experiences) and out of body experiences (astral projection). I find this model better explains a host of paranormal phenomena that materialists will deny can occur.

The astral body becomes the vehicle for the in-dwelling consciousness as people continue much as before without the clunky physical overcoat (as reported in Near Death Experiences).

Choose your paradigm. In the astral/soul body theory consciousness is not a creation of matter moving about but is a fundamental and eternal component of reality.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Another theory is that the physical body has an interpenetrating astral/soul body that separates from the physical body during death-like trauma (as in Near Death Experiences) and out of body experiences (astral projection). I find this model better explains a host of paranormal phenomena that materialists will deny can occur.

The astral body becomes the vehicle for the in-dwelling consciousness as people continue much as before without the clunky physical overcoat (as reported in Near Death Experiences).

Choose your paradigm. In the astral/soul body theory consciousness is not a creation of matter moving about but is a fundamental and eternal component of reality.

Hypothesis, not theory, there is a big difference

George-ananda

Premium Member
Hypothesis, not theory, there is a big difference
Not really.

I am not doing 'science' but addressing the question 'all things considered what is most reasonable to believe?'. I'll believe the more reasonable 'hypothesis'.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Not really.

I am not doing 'science' but addressing the question 'all things considered what is most reasonable to believe?'. I'll believe the more reasonable 'hypothesis'.

Definitely a hypothesis because it cannot be repeated at will.
The more reasonable hypothesis is that which can be scientifically tested and indipendanty repeated.
Buy you at your welcome to believe whatever you want

George-ananda

Premium Member
Definitely a hypothesis because it cannot be repeated at will.
The more reasonable hypothesis is that which can be scientifically tested and indipendanty repeated.
Buy you at your welcome to believe whatever you want
The better hypothesis is the one that better fits all the data including unusual things called paranormal.