• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

nPeace

Veteran Member
Doesn't it seem strange to you that the communication level is so stymied? And you need a medium to get a message to you? I do.
Consider the claim.
Some disembodied souls can't find their way, "over the other side" and walk around in houses knocking on wood, and slamming doors and windows. Others sit in chairs and talks to the living... or say nothing. While others are in hot flames, begging for a little water to cool their tongue.
These claims sound confusing. It's important to understand why people choose to believe these, over what the Bible says about the condition of the dead.

Something about the conversation going on in this thread suggests to me it's being used as a preaching platform to links where sermons on psychic and medium activity, are being preached.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Consider the claim.
Some disembodied souls can't find their way, "over the other side" and walk around in houses knocking on wood, and slamming doors and windows. Others sit in chairs and talks to the living... or say nothing. While others are in hot flames, begging for a little water to cool their tongue.
These claims sound confusing. It's important to understand why people choose to believe these, over what the Bible says about the condition of the dead.

Ok I didn't know the claim that the dead living didn't get to the other side.

YoursTrue

Dead people are dead. Their bodies decompose and are recycled. The atoms of the dead body will be used by worms and soil and flowers and trees and animals including humans. In this way we are all made up of dead people (and other things that have lived and are now dead)
Whether you realize it or not (and here I go again) after God made a body from the earth for Adam, it is said He put the spirit of life in him. Sometimes known as soul. Do I understand it all? No. But it makes sense to me that a compendium of cells needs more than oxygen etc. to be alive, and act, so to speak. The body without spirit is dead.

YoursTrue

Consider the claim.
Gotta wonder. Some might say so much is mythical. Logic doesn't seem to count too much here. So...I have some answers to my questions and I am happy to be able to ask some of those involved. Take care.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Whether you realize it or not (and here I go again) after God made a body from the earth for Adam, it is said He put the spirit of life in him. Sometimes known as soul. Do I understand it all? No. But it makes sense to me that a compendium of cells needs more than oxygen etc. to be alive, and act, so to speak. The body without spirit is dead.

I would like to see some evidence of your claims please.

Particularly, god done it, a spirit and that spirit existing after brain death.

YoursTrue

I would like to see some evidence of your claims please.

Particularly, god done it, a spirit and that spirit existing after brain death.
The evidence for my claims is in the Bible. I can only say what I have learned. There's more, but we can start with the following:
After God made Adam from the earth, he then blew into his nostrils the breath of life. Until Adam was breathing, although there was a body, there was no life in him. That breath, in Hebrew also translated as spirit, was the activating force to make Adam live. When he died, the breath of life (spirit) left him and in a certain sense sense went back to God, who gave it to him. So although a person may be brain dead, if he is still breathing, he is considered alive. The breath of life, so to speak, is still in him.

ChristineM

Premium Member
The evidence for my claims is in the Bible. I can only say what I have learned. There's more, but we can start with the following:
After God made Adam from the earth, he then blew into his nostrils the breath of life. Until Adam was breathing, although there was a body, there was no life in him. That breath, in Hebrew also translated as spirit, was the activating force to make Adam live. When he died, the breath of life (spirit) left him and in a certain sense sense went back to God, who gave it to him. So although a person may be brain dead, if he is still breathing, he is considered alive. The breath of life, so to speak, is still in him.

The bible is not an evidential book, unless you have a second source to confirm.

Nope, brain death means death, breathing is controlled by the brain so when the brain dies breathing stops. Unless of course the body is attached to artificial breathing apparatus. Then they can keep breathing going indefinitely. The brain is still dead

YoursTrue

The bible is not an evidential book, unless you have a second source to confirm.

Nope, brain death means death, breathing is controlled by the brain so when the brain dies breathing stops. Unless of course the body is attached to artificial breathing apparatus. Then they can keep breathing going indefinitely. The brain is still dead
If you don't believe as some do that those who die have souls that go to heaven or hell or purgatory upon death (either way...), then you agree with what the Bible teaches. If a person is brain dead but stops breathing, he is legally dead as noted and evidently cannot be brought back to life as we know it, Thank you.

OK. From reading up on this, I see that a person that is brain dead is considered dead. Even though can be kept alive on life support. But not obviously functioning as a person.
I believe the Bible is evidence that persons who have died can be brought back to life. I know you don't, but thanks for the discussion about brain death. :)

YoursTrue

If they were they would not be dead. And that would render the question meaningless.

Ciao

- viole
That doesn't really answer the question. Some believe those who have died are somehow alive somewhere. What do you think about that?

ChristineM

Premium Member
You don't believe in Jesus, and I doubt he existed. If he did, then I believe he was just an ordinary man and not divine, as his followers and the Bible claim.

Post #146 in the thread "If Christ wasn't the messiah, what was he?"

Actually i do believe he probably existed but certainly not as depicted in the bible. The linked thread explains my view concluded following considerable research into the Roman period plus/minus 100 years of the change from republic to empire, the pax Romana and it's implications and Roman law including methods of execution for particular crimes... Crucifixion was reserved for traitors to Rome, terrorists and slaves.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
That doesn't really answer the question. Some believe those who have died are somehow alive somewhere. What do you think about that?
Delusion? Wishful thinking? Of a mix of the two things?

Ciao

- viole

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Delusion? Wishful thinking? Of a mix of the two things?

Ciao

- viole

It seems rather obvious to me that you and other atheists (like Christine M) wouldn't believe that the dead are anywhere since atheists don't typically believe in anything supernatural. As I was saying in another thread, if I wanted to understand the beliefs of another religion, then I'd ask someone who practices that religion rather than someone who doesn't or someone who is irreligious. In other words, if a person wants to learn about the Baha'i Faith, they should ask a Baha'i, or if they want to learn about spiritualism, they should ask a spiritualist. For example, I've been asked many questions about my beliefs regarding the afterlife, but I won't answer questions that aren't sincere (intended to provoke and stir things up), and I won't argue or debate with anyone about my beliefs. I don't mind discussing my beliefs about the afterlife, but I won't converse with someone whose sole objective is to discredit me.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In other words, if a person wants to learn about the Baha'i Faith, they should ask a Baha'i, or if they want to learn about spiritualism, they should ask a spiritualist.
Would you also recommend to ask experts in leprechaunology, in order to gather some reliable infos about leprechauns?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

YoursTrue

God CAN remember the dead to bring them back to life if He wants to. The dead are not alive. But God CAN bring back to life those He wants to.

nPeace

Veteran Member
sorry, it's one of those posts I lol...
Pretty funny, when you think about it. It's as if someone is toying with people's mind - making them feel they are special as a spirit medium.
I know there are people out there whom have had a difficult life, and being made to feel special, would certainly appeal to them. I could see someone evil, taking advantage of that.