• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
For instance, the Bible says the ‘soul dies’. Ezekiel 18:4, et.al.

But it never says the soul is immortal.

People are taught that, but the Bible doesn’t say that.
The Bible does not say the soul is mortal.

Ezekiel 18:4
King James Version
4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

That verse means that the soul that sins will not have eternal life, which is a state of the soul that is near to God. That soul will continue to exist in the spiritual world, but it will be far from God.

That soul will be spiritually dead, but it will continue to EXIST in the spiritual realm after the body dies. A soul cannot die because it is not physical. Only physical things die.

When Jesus referred to eternal life, He was not referring to physical life of the body. He was referring a quality of life, spiritual life, loving God and being close to God.

The soul is eternal, the body perishes. That is why Jesus said: John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life

All the verses below refer to eternal life of the soul, not life of the physical body.

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

All souls will continue to exist in the spiritual world after the body dies but not all souls will have eternal life (everlasting life).
Eternal life refers to a “quality” of life, nearness to God which, according to Jesus, comes from believing in Him.

“The immortality of the spirit is mentioned in the Holy Books; it is the fundamental basis of the divine religions. Now punishments and rewards are said to be of two kinds: first, the rewards and punishments of this life; second, those of the other world. But the paradise and hell of existence are found in all the worlds of God, whether in this world or in the spiritual heavenly worlds. Gaining these rewards is the gaining of eternal life. That is why Christ said, “Act in such a way that you may find eternal life, and that you may be born of water and the spirit, so that you may enter into the Kingdom.” 2
Some Answered Questions, p. 223

The souls of people who are distant from God will not have eternal life; although their soul will continue to exist in the spiritual world after their physical body dies they will be “as dead” compared to those souls who are close to God.

“In the same way, the souls who are veiled from God, although they exist in this world and in the world after death, are, in comparison with the holy existence of the children of the Kingdom of God, nonexisting and separated from God.”
Some Answered Questions, p. 243

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
That makes sense, because if a person was a male or a female in this life they will probably remember being a male or female when they cross over to the spiritual world where there is no physical gender.

In the sixteen years that I've been directly communicating with earthbound human spirits, I have never met one who said to me, "I was a man when I was alive, but I chose to be a woman in the afterlife" or vice versa. Based on my experience with spirits, they typically project themselves as they last perceived themselves before they passed away, and this includes the clothing that they remember to be most closely associated with their identity in life. When they manifest and project themselves, they appear dressed as they envision themselves to be. I've seen the spirits of both Union and Confederate soldiers who died on a Civil War battlefield still wearing their uniforms. I've seen other spirits dressed in the typical attire of the time they passed away. When I visited Boston last summer, I saw the spirits of people who lived in the mid- to late-1700s dressed in period clothing. I saw them while visiting the Paul Revere House, the Old North Church, and other areas in Boston. My husband, son, and I researched online to find the style of clothing I saw in order to determine how old the spirits were. I had a similar experience while in Salem, although the spirits there were from the 1600s. I also saw multiple spirits from different time periods when I visited the U.S.S. Constitution as well. I posted a thread about my trip to Boston, Salem, and the U.S.S. Constitution in the paranormal activities forum. And finally, I've also seen the spirits of some elderly people I knew or that my friends knew who projected themselves at a younger age than they were when they died. I believe that how we dress and present ourselves is linked to our sense of identity, and that the same is true for the dead.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
@Trailblazer , do you realize what you just wrote? First you stated “The Bible does not say the soul is mortal”, but then you post a Biblical Scripture -Ezekiel 18:4 - that explicitly says “the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
(Ezekiel 18:20 reiterates it),

and then you say:

A soul cannot die…
The soul is eternal…
Certainly you see how contradictory those statements are.

You said in an earlier post, ‘the Bible doesn’t say what it means’ (or something similar). I assert that more often than not, the Bible does say what it means… it’s only the many varied interpretations that muddy it.

‘The soul that is sinning shall die’, is pretty clear! And the Bible tells us who sins: Romans 3:23 avers, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” We all have imperfections, ie., miss the mark, or fall short.

And the following Scriptures you quoted:

John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

1 John 5:13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

…are speaking of life after their resurrections.

The first one you quoted:

“John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?” “

Notice the differing phrases…Are they contradictory?…..

The 1st, “He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.”
Then 2nd, “And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

So do they contradict? Some people think so…
But not when you understand the context… Martha had just said, in vs.24, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

So in that context, Jesus was replying to her. “Though [believers] may die” before the resurrection at the Last Day comes, they “will live.”

“And [believers who are “living” when that Last Day comes,] shall never die.”

(I’ve heard this supposed contradiction for years, and I just wanted to post the explanation, for whoever might want to know.)

Did you know the Bible mentions “dead souls”?

Yes, many times.

Leviticus 19:28;
Leviticus 21:1;
Leviticus 21:11;
Leviticus 22:4;
Numbers 5:2;
Numbers 6:6;
Numbers 6:11;
Numbers 19:11;
Numbers 19:13;
Deuteronomy 14:1

These verses do not say dead bodies; they say nephesh, which is soul in Hebrew. For instance, Numbers 19:11 is worded in Hebrew:

Whoever touches
הַנֹּגֵ֥עַ (han·nō·ḡê·a‘)
Article | Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine singular
Strong's 5060: To touch, lay the hand upon, to reach, violently, to strike

any
לְכָל־ (lə·ḵāl)
Preposition-l | Noun - masculine singular construct
Strong's 3605: The whole, all, any, every

dead
בְּמֵ֖ת (bə·mêṯ)
Preposition-b | Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine singular
Strong's 4191: To die, to kill

body
נֶ֣פֶשׁ (ne·p̄eš)
Noun - feminine singular
Strong's 5315: A soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

will be unclean
וְטָמֵ֖א (wə·ṭā·mê)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Conjunctive perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 2930: To be or become unclean

for seven
שִׁבְעַ֥ת (šiḇ·‘aṯ)
Number - masculine singular construct
Strong's 7651: Seven, seven times, a week, an indefinite number

days.
יָמִֽים׃ (yā·mîm)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 3117: A day

Now just look how these transactions hide that fact! Almost all of them say “dead body”, or “corpse”…. But the Bible says “dead soul.”

The truth has been hidden even by translators, in favor of promoting a universal concept. But it’s origin is pagan, not Biblical.
Later, I will post more evidence, from the Bible, of what the Bible really teaches.

Hope you’re doing well.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
The Bible does not say the soul is mortal.

I don't need the Bible to inform me that souls aren't mortal. All I have to do is look around me to know that, or consider the past 44 years of my life, where I've seen countless earthbound human spirits. To be honest, I can't honestly believe what the Bible teaches about the afterlife because I've had 44 years of encounters with earthbound human spirits and spent the last 16 years directly interacting with and communicating with them. Frankly, I have had far too many personal encounters with these spirits throughout the course of my life to believe what the Bible says about what happens to people after they die.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't need the Bible to inform me that souls aren't mortal.
Neither do I. Whenever the Bible says that 'the soul that sins will die' it means that soul will not have eternal life.
It does not mean that the soul will actually cease to exist. The soul is immaterial so it cannot ever die. This is simple logic.

“The immortality of the spirit is mentioned in the Holy Books; it is the fundamental basis of the divine religions. Now punishments and rewards are said to be of two kinds: first, the rewards and punishments of this life; second, those of the other world. But the paradise and hell of existence are found in all the worlds of God, whether in this world or in the spiritual heavenly worlds. Gaining these rewards is the gaining of eternal life. That is why Christ said, “Act in such a way that you may find eternal life, and that you may be born of water and the spirit, so that you may enter into the Kingdom.” 2

“In the same way, the souls who are veiled from God, although they exist in this world and in the world after death, are, in comparison with the holy existence of the children of the Kingdom of God, nonexisting and separated from God.”

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Neither do I. Whenever the Bible says that 'the soul that sins will die' it means that soul will not have eternal life.
It does not mean that the soul will actually cease to exist. The soul is immaterial so it cannot ever die. This is simple logic.

I've gotten the impression from my spirit guides and the human spirits I've asked about the afterlife (i.e., God, Jesus, heaven, and hell) that the hereafter isn't what the vast majority of Christians typically believe it to be based on their church's doctrines, personal beliefs, and preferred interpretation of the Bible. None of my spirit guides or any human spirits I've conversed with have ever directly answered my questions, but I have gleaned enough tidbits of information to have a clearer understanding of what can happen to people after they die. Therefore, it makes perfect sense to me why some earthbound spirits would ask me, "Where is God?" "Where is Jesus?" and "Why am I not in heaven yet?" or the one spirit I encountered during a paranormal investigation who frantically exclaimed, "The children aren't in heaven yet!" To be honest, it's not surprising to me that so many human spirits are totally confused about their predicament of being earthbound and not being where they expected to be after death. I think that it is a very sad situation for them, and I do what I can to help them and assist them in crossing over. It saddens me that I haven't been able to convince all of these spirits to cross over into the spirit world.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
@Trailblazer , do you realize what you just wrote? First you stated “The Bible does not say the soul is mortal”, but then you post a Biblical Scripture -Ezekiel 18:4 - that explicitly says “the soul that sinneth, it shall die.”
(Ezekiel 18:20 reiterates it),

and then you say:
A soul cannot die…

The soul is eternal…
Certainly you see how contradictory those statements are.
There is no contradiction there at all.

the soul that sinneth, it shall die.” means that the soul that sins will not have eternal life. Most Christians are clueless as to what eternal life means. They think it means the physical body living forever. It does not mean that, nor does it mean the soul living forever. Below I will explain what it means.

All souls will continue to exist in the spiritual world after the body dies but not all souls will have eternal life (everlasting life).
Eternal life refers to a “quality” of life, nearness to God which, according to Jesus, comes from believing in Him. The soul that sins will die because it is far from Jesus and thus far from God. (In the following passage immortality of the spirit refers to immortality of the soul.)

The souls of people who are distant from God will not have eternal life; although their soul will continue to exist in the spiritual world after their physical body dies they will be “as dead” compared to those souls who are close to God.

You said in an earlier post, ‘the Bible doesn’t say what it means’ (or something similar). I assert that more often than not, the Bible does say what it means… it’s only the many varied interpretations that muddy it.

‘The soul that is sinning shall die’, is pretty clear! And the Bible tells us who sins: Romans 3:23 avers, “All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” We all have imperfections, ie., miss the mark, or fall short.
That is exactly it! The soul that sins and falls short of the Glory of God will die (meaning it will not gain eternal life).
As noted in the passage above, that soul will continue to exist in the spiritual world but it will be distant from God.
And the following Scriptures you quoted .…are speaking of life after their resurrections.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life
The verses are not speaking of the resurrection of the body from a grave. They are speaking of the transformation.
After the physical body dies it returns to the earth and the spirit (soul) returns to God in the spiritual realm of existence.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

When the physical body dies, the soul, who is the person, takes on another form, a spiritual body.

1 Corinthians 15 New Living Translation

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

This is no different from what Baha’is believe. We will have another kind of body after we die, a heavenly form.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194
The first one you quoted:

“John 11:25-26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?” “

Notice the differing phrases…Are they contradictory?…..

The 1st, “He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live.”
Then 2nd, “And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

So do they contradict? Some people think so…
But not when you understand the context… Martha had just said, in vs.24, “I know he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day.”

So in that context, Jesus was replying to her. “Though [believers] may die” before the resurrection at the Last Day comes, they “will live.”

“And [believers who are “living” when that Last Day comes,] shall never die.”

(I’ve heard this supposed contradiction for years, and I just wanted to post the explanation, for whoever might want to know.)
“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

There is nothing contradictory about that verse at all. It means that although his body may die he shall live, which means his soul will have eternal life.
Did you know the Bible mentions “dead souls”?

Yes, many times.

Leviticus 19:28;
Leviticus 21:1;
Leviticus 21:11;
Leviticus 22:4;
Numbers 5:2;
Numbers 6:6;
Numbers 6:11;
Numbers 19:11;
Numbers 19:13;
Deuteronomy 14:1

These verses do not say dead bodies; they say nephesh, which is soul in Hebrew. For instance, Numbers 19:11 is worded in Hebrew:

Whoever touches
הַנֹּגֵ֥עַ (han·nō·ḡê·a‘)
Article | Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine singular
Strong's 5060: To touch, lay the hand upon, to reach, violently, to strike

any
לְכָל־ (lə·ḵāl)
Preposition-l | Noun - masculine singular construct
Strong's 3605: The whole, all, any, every

dead
בְּמֵ֖ת (bə·mêṯ)
Preposition-b | Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine singular
Strong's 4191: To die, to kill

body
נֶ֣פֶשׁ (ne·p̄eš)
Noun - feminine singular
Strong's 5315: A soul, living being, life, self, person, desire, passion, appetite, emotion

will be unclean
וְטָמֵ֖א (wə·ṭā·mê)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Conjunctive perfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 2930: To be or become unclean

for seven
שִׁבְעַ֥ת (šiḇ·‘aṯ)
Number - masculine singular construct
Strong's 7651: Seven, seven times, a week, an indefinite number

days.
יָמִֽים׃ (yā·mîm)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 3117: A day

Now just look how these transactions hide that fact! Almost all of them say “dead body”, or “corpse”…. But the Bible says “dead soul.”

The truth has been hidden even by translators, in favor of promoting a universal concept. But it’s origin is pagan, not Biblical.
Later, I will post more evidence, from the Bible, of what the Bible really teaches.
Your little game will not work. The verses do not say dead souls, they say dead body. ;)

All these verses are about dead bodies, not about dead souls.
Even where it does not say dead bodies, the context of all the verses makes it perfectly clear they are referring to dead bodies.

Only physical things can die. The soul cannot die since it is non-physical.

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 21:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

Leviticus 21:11 Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;

Leviticus 22:4 What man soever of the seed of Aaron is a leper, or hath a running issue; he shall not eat of the holy things, until he be clean. And whoso toucheth any thing that is unclean by the dead, or a man whose seed goeth from him;

Numbers 5:2 Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead:

Numbers 6:6 All the days that he separateth himself unto the Lord he shall come at no dead body.

Numbers 6:11 And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering, and make an atonement for him, for that he sinned by the dead, and shall hallow his head that same day.

Numbers 19:11 He that toucheth the dead body of any man shall be unclean seven days.

Numbers 19:13 Whosoever toucheth the dead body of any man that is dead, and purifieth not himself, defileth the tabernacle of the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from Israel: because the water of separation was not sprinkled upon him, he shall be unclean; his uncleanness is yet upon him.

Deuteronomy 14:1 Ye are the children of the Lord your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
There is no contradiction there at all.

the soul that sinneth, it shall die.” means that the soul that sins will not have eternal life. Most Christians are clueless as to what eternal life means. They think it means the physical body living forever. It does not mean that, nor does it mean the soul living forever. Below I will explain what it means.

Eternal life refers to a “quality” of life, nearness to God which, according to Jesus, comes from believing in Him. The soul that sins will die because it is far from Jesus and thus far from God. (In the following passage immortality of the spirit refers to immortality of the soul.)

That is exactly it! The soul that sins and falls short of the Glory of God will die (meaning it will not gain eternal life).
As noted in the passage above, that soul will continue to exist in the spiritual world but it will be distant from God.

The verses are not speaking of the resurrection of the body from a grave. They are speaking of the transformation.
After the physical body dies it returns to the earth and the spirit (soul) returns to God in the spiritual realm of existence.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

When the physical body dies, the soul, who is the person, takes on another form, a spiritual body.

44 They are buried as natural human bodies, but they will be raised as spiritual bodies. For just as there are natural bodies, there are also spiritual bodies.

51 But let me reveal to you a wonderful secret. We will not all die, but we will all be transformed!

This is no different from what Baha’is believe. We will have another kind of body after we die, a heavenly form.

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

There is nothing contradictory about that verse at all. It means that although his body may die he shall live, which means his soul will have eternal life.

Your little game will not work. The verses do not say dead souls, they say dead body. ;)

All these verses are about dead bodies, not about dead souls.
Even where it does not say dead bodies, the context of all the verses makes it perfectly clear they are referring to dead bodies.

Only physical things can die. The soul cannot die since it is non-physical.

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 21:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead among his people:

Leviticus 21:11 Neither shall he go in to any dead body, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;

Leviticus 22:4 What man soever of the seed of Aaron is a leper, or hath a running issue; he shall not eat of the holy things, until he be clean. And whoso toucheth any thing that is unclean by the dead, or a man whose seed goeth from him;

Numbers 5:2 Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead:

Numbers 6:6 All the days that he separateth himself unto the Lord he shall come at no dead body.

Numbers 6:11 And the priest shall offer the one for a sin offering, and the other for a burnt offering, and make an atonement for him, for that he sinned by the dead, and shall hallow his head that same day.

Numbers 19:11 He that toucheth the dead body of any man shall be unclean seven days.

Numbers 19:13 Whosoever toucheth the dead body of any man that is dead, and purifieth not himself, defileth the tabernacle of the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from Israel: because the water of separation was not sprinkled upon him, he shall be unclean; his uncleanness is yet upon him.

Deuteronomy 14:1 Ye are the children of the Lord your God: ye shall not cut yourselves, nor make any baldness between your eyes for the dead.
Oh my goodness…

You totally missed the main points!

You stated, “ “the soul that sinneth, it shall die.” means that the soul that sins will not have eternal life.”
If we follow that line of reasoning, then, since per Romans 3:23 we all sin, no one will have eternal life? Of course not!

Do you think that humans can’t live forever, because they’re physical?
That’s simply not the case…. Adam and Eve were created as children of Jehovah God & would still be living today, if they had remained obedient. Jesus was a perfect human…if he hadn’t come to offer his life in our behalf, he would never have died!

Physical humans do not have to be sinful, ie., imperfect, leading to death.

And Id like you to know that in everyone of those Scriptures you put in red, from Leviticus 19:28 to Deuteronomy 14:1, the oldest Hebrew manuscripts say “dead soul”, not dead body.
They’ve been mistranslated to cloud the truth & help promote a popular bias, that the soul is immortal. That is a false teaching of pagan origin.

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
None of my spirit guides or any human spirits I've conversed with have ever directly answered my questions
Yes I believe this; it agrees with what others involved in the occult have experienced & reported. I appreciate your honesty and candor in posting that statement.

There are reasons & motives behind their ambiguity. IMO.
I hope you will keep an open mind to all the possibilities. Since you have been experiencing these spirits’ presence for most of your life, though, I can understand how it could be difficult to do.

Can I ask you a few thought- provoking questions? I’ll be respectful.

And you can ask me whatever you like.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Oh my goodness…

You totally missed the main points!

You stated, “ “the soul that sinneth, it shall die.” means that the soul that sins will not have eternal life.”
If we follow that line of reasoning, then, since per Romans 3:23 we all sin, no one will have eternal life? Of course not!
My mistake... What I intended to say was that the soul that is distant from God will not have eternal life, but if we believe in Jesus we will not be distant from God, we will be near to God, so we will have eternal life.

The soul that sins will have eternal life because Jesus paid the penalty for our sins.
The reason Jesus died on the cross was to remove our sins. THAT is why the soul that sins can have eternal life.

He sent His Son to die and pay the penalty for our sin (the penalty being death, see Romans 6:23) so that our relationship with God could be restored and we could receive eternal life. Jesus blots out our transgressions, removing our sin from the record. Thus, we receive forgiveness for sins we have committed.​

Of course we can have eternal life if we believe in Jesus and God who sent Him.

John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life,and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Do you think that humans can’t live forever, because they’re physical?
That’s simply not the case…. Adam and Eve were created as children of Jehovah God & would still be living today, if they had remained obedient. Jesus was a perfect human…if he hadn’t come to offer his life in our behalf, he would never have died!

Physical humans do not have to be sinful, ie., imperfect, leading to death.
No, what leads to physical death is the FACT that the human body is mortal, as it was created by God to be.
No, Adam and Eve would not be living in a physical body today if they had not sinned. They would be as dead as a door-nail.
Jesus did offer His life and Jesus did die, and even if Jesus had not offered His life He would have dieds at the end of His natural life span anyway, just like Adam and Eve, because the human body was designed by God to be mortal and die.
And Id like you to know that in everyone of those Scriptures you put in red, from Leviticus 19:28 to Deuteronomy 14:1, the oldest Hebrew manuscripts say “dead soul”, not dead body.
They’ve been mistranslated to cloud the truth & help promote a popular bias, that the soul is immortal. That is a false teaching of pagan origin.
Those verses would make no sense if you substituted the word body for soul and tat is how we know they are correctly translated.
I will substitute soul for body in some of the verses and show you that they make no sense.

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead soul, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
-- The soul doesn't have flesh, only the body has flesh.

Leviticus 21:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead soul among his people:
-- How can you defile a soul, which is immaterial?

Leviticus 21:11 Neither shall he go in to any dead soul, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;

Leviticus 22:4 What man soever of the seed of Aaron is a leper, or hath a running issue; he shall not eat of the holy things, until he be clean. And whoso toucheth any thing that is unclean by the dead soul, or a man whose seed goeth from him;
-- How do you touch a soul, which is immaterial?

Numbers 5:2 Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead soul:

Numbers 19:11 He that toucheth the dead soul of any man shall be unclean seven days.

Numbers 19:13 Whosoever toucheth the dead soul of any man that is dead, and purifieth not himself, defileth the tabernacle of the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from Israel: because the water of separation was not sprinkled upon him, he shall be unclean; his uncleanness is yet upon him.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Yes I believe this; it agrees with what others involved in the occult have experienced & reported. I appreciate your honesty and candor in posting that statement.

There are reasons & motives behind their ambiguity. IMO.
I hope you will keep an open mind to all the possibilities. Since you have been experiencing these spirits’ presence for most of your life, though, I can understand how it could be difficult to do.

Can I ask you a few thought- provoking questions? I’ll be respectful.

And you can ask me whatever you like.

First of all, we've discussed our own beliefs about the afterlife before, so I'm well aware of what you believe, and you're well aware of what I believe. To be honest, I see no reason to hash it out again, as we clearly disagree. Secondly, no amount of preaching about your beliefs, quoting some scriptures, or your continued efforts to change my mind will ever convince me that the human spirits with whom I interact and communicate are actually demonic entities.

Furthermore, I'd like to make it perfectly clear that neither you nor any other Jehovah's Witness will ever convince me that your church's doctrines and its interpretation of the Bible regarding the afterlife are absolutely correct. And this applies to other Christians as well. Thirdly, I have repeatedly stated in numerous threads relating to the paranormal that I will not argue or debate with anyone about my experiences or my spiritual beliefs. I haven't changed my mind about that. And finally, I've also repeatedly stated in numerous threads that I don't post about my lifelong experiences in an attempt to persuade others to believe in the paranormal either. As far as I'm concerned, it's entirely up to those who read my posts to decide whether they believe me or not.

Again, I'd like to reiterate that whether skeptics believe me or not is irrelevant to me. It's irrelevant because their skepticism or opposing religious beliefs don't negate my forty-four years of personal experience. So to answer your question, "Can I ask you a few thought-provoking questions?" Of course, you can ask your questions because I can't stop you, but I won't answer them. And for the record, I don't think I'm the one in this discussion with a closed mind. I've read the Bible cover to cover and studied it many times, so I am well versed in it. And thanks to you and the other JWs in this thread and others like it, I'm even more acquainted with your beliefs and interpretation of the Bible regarding the afterlife than I was before while dealing with other JWs in person.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Neither do I. Whenever the Bible says that 'the soul that sins will die' it means that soul will not have eternal life. It does not mean that the soul will actually cease to exist. The soul is immaterial so it cannot ever die. This is simple logic.

I wanted to let you know that I've been working on a detailed account for you of my recent trip to New York State. Again, I apologize for the delay.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
the soul that is distant from God…
I’m sure you’d agree, that there are already many souls “distant from God”, lol!
But people can change… we hope.
Of course we can have eternal life if we believe in Jesus and God who sent Him.
Yes I agree! (I almost said “Hallelujah”… did you know that means “Praise Jah”? Jah is the shortened form for Jehovah.)
John 3:16: For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Now here is something you might want to consider… what about those who will not “believe” in Jesus? Jesus didn’t say they would be ‘distant from God’. Jesus only gave two outcomes / futures for people. Do you see them? People will either “have eternal life” or “perish.”

Another Scripture you quoted:
“John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

Now what happens to the person who doesn’t? It says they “shall not see life”.

Again it’s not distance from God… these ones will “perish” / “not see life.”

Remember, life is a gift (Romans 6:23), not a way to keep people in agony.

No, what leads to physical death is the FACT that the human body is mortal, as it was created by God to be.
No, Adam and Eve would not be living in a physical body today if they had not sinned. They would be as dead as a door-nail.
Jesus did offer His life and Jesus did die, and even if Jesus had not offered His life He would have dieds at the end of His natural life span anyway, just like Adam and Eve, because the human body was designed by God to be mortal and die.
I’m glad you’re patient with me, because I’m gonna have to disagree with you again…

It wasn’t having a physical body that was fatal for Adam… Romans 5:12 said death came “through sin
(not the flesh), and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.”

Here’s a way we know that death won’t always plague humans:

Remember Jesus said “the meek will inherit the Earth”, right? (Matthew 5:5) This planet is our home, it will always be. (Ecclesiastes 1:4)
Revelation 21:3,4 states “I heard a loud voice from the throne say, “Look! The tent of God is *with mankind*, and they will be His peoples, and God Himself will be with them. And He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore; the former things have passed away.”
It’s not talking about Heaven… there’s never been any death in Heaven. Mankind are the humans here on earth. Jesus’ statement in prayer “Thy Will be done on earth “, will reach fulfillment.

Those verses would make no sense if you substituted the word body for soul
But that’s how they’re worded in the ancient Hebrew manuscripts! Every one of them! Look it up for yourself.
The only reason it seems to make no sense to many people, is because of the assumptions they bring along, when reading the Bible.
I will substitute soul for body in some of the verses and show you that they make no sense.

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead soul, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.
-- The soul doesn't have flesh, only the body has flesh.

Leviticus 21:1 And the Lord said unto Moses, Speak unto the priests the sons of Aaron, and say unto them, There shall none be defiled for the dead soul among his people:

Leviticus 21:11 Neither shall he go in to any dead soul, nor defile himself for his father, or for his mother;

Leviticus 22:4 What man soever of the seed of Aaron is a leper, or hath a running issue; he shall not eat of the holy things, until he be clean. And whoso toucheth any thing that is unclean by the dead soul, or a man whose seed goeth from him;

Numbers 5:2 Command the children of Israel, that they put out of the camp every leper, and every one that hath an issue, and whosoever is defiled by the dead soul:

Numbers 19:11 He that toucheth the dead soul of any man shall be unclean seven days.

Numbers 19:13 Whosoever toucheth the dead soul of any man that is dead, and purifieth not himself, defileth the tabernacle of the Lord; and that soul shall be cut off from Israel: because the water of separation was not sprinkled upon him, he shall be unclean; his uncleanness is yet upon him.
First of all, let’s take the first Scripture, Leviticus 19:28…
Your comment is “The soul doesn't have flesh, only the body has flesh.”

It doesn’t say “flesh of the dead soul”.
It says don’t “make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead soul.”

The point I was trying to make in quoting this Scripture, is that “dead soul” is the phrase used.

At Genesis 2:7, we read
King James Bible
And the LORD God formed man ofthe dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Notice that Adam wasn’t *given* a soul; he became one, he was one.

(Interesting that most Bibles don’t say “soul” in that verse; but that’s what the oldest Hebrew manuscripts, ie., oldest copies of the Bible, say.)

Gotta go for now. Take care, and have a good day!

Eli G

I’m sure you’d agree, that there are already many souls “distant from God”, lol!

Yes I agree! (I almost said “Hallelujah”… did you know that means “Praise Jah”? Jah is the shortened form for Jehovah.)

Now here is something you might want to consider… what about those who will not “believe” in Jesus? Jesus didn’t say they would be ‘distant from God’. Jesus only gave two outcomes / futures for people. Do you see them? People will either “have eternal life” or “perish.”

“John 3:36 He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.”

I’m glad you’re patient with me, because I’m gonna have to disagree with you again…

It wasn’t having a physical body that was fatal for Adam… Romans 5:12 said death came “through sin

Remember Jesus said “the meek will inherit the Earth”, right? (Matthew 5:5) This planet is our home, it will always be. (Ecclesiastes 1:4)
Revelation 21:3,4 states “I heard a loud voice from the throne say, “Look! The tent of God is *with mankind*, and they will be His peoples, and God Himself will be with them. And He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore; the former things have passed away.”
It’s not talking about Heaven… there’s never been any death in Heaven. Mankind are the humans here on earth. Jesus’ statement in prayer “Thy Will be done on earth “, will reach fulfillment.

But that’s how they’re worded in the ancient Hebrew manuscripts! Every one of them! Look it up for yourself.
The only reason it seems to make no sense to many people, is because of the assumptions they bring along, when reading the Bible.

First of all, let’s take the first Scripture, Leviticus 19:28…
Your comment is “The soul doesn't have flesh, only the body has flesh.”

It doesn’t say “flesh of the dead soul”.
It says don’t “make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead soul.”

The point I was trying to make in quoting this Scripture, is that “dead soul” is the phrase used.

King James Bible
And the LORD God formed man ofthe dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

(Interesting that most Bibles don’t say “soul” in that verse; but that’s what the oldest Hebrew manuscripts, ie., oldest copies of the Bible, say.)

Gotta go for now. Take care, and have a good day!
Excellent points.

If someone wants to know something about a supposed soul inside human beings, the first thing they have to check is if Jehovah put a soul inside Adam, since all human beings are decendents of Adam.

The truth is that the Bible teaches that Adam was created out of dust from the ground and after his body was formed, Jehovah made him live, turning him into a soul or living being... He did NOT put a living spirit inside him so that that spirit would come out after he died. Actually, if Adam had not sinned he would never have had to return to the dust from which he had been formed but he would have been a human being of flesh and blood for all eternity, as well as his descendants.

Job 10:8 Your own hands have shaped me and made me,
But now you would completely destroy me.
9 Remember, please, that you made me out of clay,
But now you make me return to dust.
10 Did you not pour me out like milk
And curdle me like cheese?
11 With skin and flesh you clothed me,
And with bones and sinews you wove me together.
12 You have given me life and loyal love (...)

Gen. 2:17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.
... 3:2 At this the woman said to the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden. 3 But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’” (...) 19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Excellent points.

If someone wants to know something about a supposed soul inside human beings, the first thing they have to check is if Jehovah put a soul inside Adam, since all human beings are decendents of Adam.

The truth is that the Bible teaches that Adam was created out of dust from the ground and after his body was formed, Jehovah made him live, turning him into a soul or living being... He did NOT put a living spirit inside him so that that spirit would come out after he died. Actually, if Adam had not sinned he would never have had to return to the dust from which he had been formed but he would have been a human being of flesh and blood for all eternity, as well as his descendants.

Job 10:8 Your own hands have shaped me and made me,
But now you would completely destroy me.
9 Remember, please, that you made me out of clay,
But now you make me return to dust.
10 Did you not pour me out like milk
And curdle me like cheese?
11 With skin and flesh you clothed me,
And with bones and sinews you wove me together.
12 You have given me life and loyal love (...)

Gen. 2:17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.
... 3:2 At this the woman said to the serpent: “We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden. 3 But God has said about the fruit of the tree that is in the middle of the garden: ‘You must not eat from it, no, you must not touch it; otherwise you will die.’” (...) 19 In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.”
Thanks. Some truths are hard for some people to see. Hopefully Jehovah God will draw them.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
And I really appreciate hearing what transpired on your trip. :)

You're welcome. I have another trip planned for next week, but this time I know exactly where I'm going. I'm traveling with my husband on a business trip, and we will be staying at a hotel where both the living and the dead remember me. I like staying there because both the employees and the spirits know me by name and have welcomed me back in the past. If I recall correctly, this hotel was the subject of my very first paranormal investigation thread.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes, I agree.

You quoted one verse from the entire Bible. I can find verses that contradict that verse. For example:

Matthew 25:45-46 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Jesus did not say "the righteous who believe in me" will go into into life eternal.

And what did Jesus mean my everlasting life? You already know my beliefs on that.
Everlasting life comes from nearness to God, which came through knowing Jesus in the dispensation of Jesus, but I believe everlasting life now comes through knowing God through Baha'u'llah.

John 3:16: “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

1 John 5:13 “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal life.”

What Jesus said is really no different than what Baha’u’llah wrote about everlasting life and how we attain to it…
Only the time period has changed.

“The Book of God is wide open, and His Word is summoning mankind unto Him. No more than a mere handful, however, hath been found willing to cleave to His Cause, or to become the instruments for its promotion. These few have been endued with the Divine Elixir that can, alone, transmute into purest gold the dross of the world, and have been empowered to administer the infallible remedy for all the ills that afflict the children of men. No man can obtain everlasting life, unless he embraceth the truth of this inestimable, this wondrous, and sublime Revelation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 183

Perish means they will not see eternal life, which is nearness to God. It refers to spiritual life, not physical life. Jesus devalued the life of the flesh.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

John 3:5-7 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

It was having a physical body that was fatal for Adam…

Where Romans 5:12 said death came through sin it refers to the sins of the flesh, among other sins men commit, and thus death spread to all men because they had all sinned.

The death that came to man through sin was spiritual death, not physical death. Physical death come to all men regardless of whether they sin or not, since the human body was created by God to be mortal.

That means the planet is the home for living people, and the meek living people and future generations of living people will inherit the earth and live on it. The verses are not about dead people who rise from graves and come back to life. Once dead people remain dead, forever.

The earth remains forever, but generations of people live and die.

Ecclesiastes 1:4 in Other Translations
4 One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever. 4 A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever. 4 Generations come and generations go, but the earth never changes.

Ecclesiastes 1:4 - Generations come and generations go, but ...

Revelation 21:3,4 refers to spiritual death, NOT physical death.
In the new world order, spiritual death will be no more. Physical death will always exist since the human body was created by God to be mortal.
Matthew 6
9 “This, then, is how you should pray: “‘Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

The verses are talking about the Kingdom of God that will come to earth, after it is built by humans.
There will be a Kingdom of God on earth just as there is a Kingdom of God in heaven, but that Kingdom will be for living people and future generations of living people, not for dead people.

When a Christian dies, his body is buried in the ground and his spirit (soul) immediately goes to heaven to be in the presence of God.

For the Christian, death is an immediate translation into the presence of the Lord. You exchange the tent for the building, earth for heaven. You exchange the temporary for the eternal, the pain of groaning for the joy of glory.Sep 4, 2020

What Happens When a Christian Dies? - Open the Bible

King James Bible
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

That is correct. Man became a living soul when he was born since the soul is what gives man life.

The soul is the person, so it is who we are. The physical body is just a vehicle that carries the soul around and allows it to function when we are living on earth in a physical body. After we die and go to heaven we will no longer have a physical body. The soul will operate through a spiritual body. That is what the Bible says.

The physical body exists only on earth. The physical body cannot exist in the Kingdom of God in heaven. That is why it needs to be transformed into a spiritual body.

40 There are also bodies in the heavens and bodies on the earth. The glory of the heavenly bodies is different from the glory of the earthly bodies.

50 What I am saying, dear brothers and sisters, is that our physical bodies cannot inherit the Kingdom of God. These dying bodies cannot inherit what will last forever.

Last edited: