• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Where does the Quran say Muhammad is the last Messenger of God?

Ebionite

In brief, it says Muhammad was the seal of the prophets because he was the last prophet in the Age of Prophecy that started with Adam.
So in effect, Muhammad sealed off the Age of Prophecy and drew it to a close.

Several years ago, @Dawnofhope explained what 'seal of the prophets' means to a Baha'i in the following post:

Why I didn't believe in Bahaism when I researched it.

So Muhammad being the seal of the Prophets clearly alludes to a lineage of Prophets from Adam to Muhammad. Baha’is call this the Adamic cycle which we believe ended with the advent of the Madhi (the Bab) during 1844. Baha'u'llah in His work the Kitab-i-Iqan alludes to with the phrase 'seal of the Prophets' and how the phrase is applicable to other Messengers/Rasool. This concept is clearly supported by Christian scripture. For example in the Book of Revelation 22:13 we have reference to Christ being the ‘Alpha and the Omega’, or the first and last letters of the Greek Alphabet. In that sense Christ is also the beginning and end and the seal of the Prophets as with Muhammad.
No, prophecy didn't end.

As for me, this [is] my covenant with them, saith YHWH; My spirit that [is] upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith YHWH, from henceforth and for ever.
Isaiah 59:21

Surely the Lord YHWH will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
Amos 3:7

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No, prophecy didn't end.

As for me, this [is] my covenant with them, saith YHWH; My spirit that [is] upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed's seed, saith YHWH, from henceforth and for ever.
Isaiah 59:21

Surely the Lord YHWH will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.
Amos 3:7
Isaiah and Amos were prophets who prophesied in the Old Testament, so they are part of the Adamic Cycle of religion.

Ebionite

Isaiah and Amos were prophets who prophesied in the Old Testament, so they are part of the Adamic Cycle of religion.
The distinction seems to be with the son of man, (ben adam), which is associated with repentance. Seth/Sheth was the physical son of Adam, which relates to Balaam's prophecy of the Messiah:

I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
Numbers 24:17

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
It doesn't. It says that he's the seal of the prophets. A seal is a proof or a verification, eg the verification of the message of the spirit of truth:
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
John 15:26

And this in the Quran also.

(89:22) And thy Lord shall come with angels, rank on rank,

Baha’is believe this is referring to, and the Spirit of Truth in the Bible refers to Baha’u’llah.

YOM

Peace

There is this hadith:

Muhammad ibn Yahya has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from al-Husayn ibn Sa‘id from al-Nadr ibn Suwayd from Yahya al-Halabi from Muhammad al-Ahwal from Humran ibn A‘yan who has said that when he asked Imam abu ‘Abdallah (a) about the meaning of the words of Allah that say, “We have given to the family of Abraham the Book” (4:54) The Imam (a) said, “It means Prophet-hood (Nubuwa).” I then asked about the meaning of ‘the wisdom’. The Imams said, “It means understanding and judgment.” I then asked about the meaning of ‘great authority.’ The Imam (a) said, “It means obedience.”

So we see book = Nubuwa.

Will share more later.

Source: Al-Kafi - Volume 1: The Imams (a.s.) possess Divine authority, they are Envied and Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, has spoken of them | Thaqalayn
There is no contradiction, family of abraham were actualy given thorah, bible and quran. But this hadith dont suggest there will be another message coming after qoran,. There are also many verses of quran that state that quran is the last message and have been completed and its chosen for all mankind. There are also many hadith that are clear and without possible interprétation, that Muhammad pbuh is the last prophet an last messenger . Example, this hadith from al Tirmidi
Anas bin Malik narrated: The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said: 'Indeed Messenger-ship and Prophethood have been terminated, so there shall be no Messenger after me, nor a Prophet.' He(Anas) said: The people were concerned about that, so he (s.a.w) said: 'But there will be Mubash-shirat.' So they said: 'O Messenger of Allah! What is Mubash-shirat?' He said: 'The Muslim's dreams, for it is a portion of the portions of Prophethood.'

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There is no contradiction, family of abraham were actualy given thorah, bible and quran. But this hadith dont suggest there will be another message coming after qoran,. There are also many verses of quran that state that quran is the last message and have been completed and its chosen for all mankind. There are also many hadith that are clear and without possible interprétation, that Muhammad pbuh is the last prophet an last messenger . Example, this hadith from al Tirmidi
Anas bin Malik narrated: The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w) said: 'Indeed Messenger-ship and Prophethood have been terminated, so there shall be no Messenger after me, nor a Prophet.' He(Anas) said: The people were concerned about that, so he (s.a.w) said: 'But there will be Mubash-shirat.' So they said: 'O Messenger of Allah! What is Mubash-shirat?' He said: 'The Muslim's dreams, for it is a portion of the portions of Prophethood.'
Peace,

Usually Sunnis define a Messenger as one who brings a divine book, while a Nabi who is not a Rasool does not bring one.

This hadith defines Nubuwa with the Divine book.

YOM

Peace,

Usually Sunnis define a Messenger as one who brings a divine book, while a Nabi who is not a Rasool does not bring one.

This hadith defines Nubuwa with the Divine book.
For sunnite there are 2 main interprétation of what is nabi and what is rassool. But in both, the status of rassool is higher.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For sunnite there are 2 main interprétation of what is nabi and what is rassool. But in both, the status of rassool is higher.
You are right, that it is the two main. However, I don't believe that myself. A Nabi that is not a Rasool would mean his community agreed on the message and there is no need of conveying the message. It would not make his status less.

YOM

You are right, that it is the two main. However, I don't believe that myself. A Nabi that is not a Rasool would mean his community agreed on the message and there is no need of conveying the message. It would not make his status less.not

YOM

Not necessarly: A nabi that is not rassool can convey an message of a messenger that came before him, or can be send to people with prophecie (wahy) but without book.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not necessarly: A nabi that is not rassool can convey an message of a messenger that came before him, or can be send to people with prophecie (wahy) but without book.
Peace,

That's by the definition that Resalah = book as opposed to Nubuwa = book.

I believe the definition supported in Quran is Nubuwa = book. For example, 5:67 in Shiite hadiths (and some Sunni hadiths as well) is revealed for the event of Ghadeer regarding Ali (a).

But the Ghadir speech is not in Quran. It's part of Resalah (the message).

There is no proof that every Rasool is a Nabi. Nor Vice Versa. There is proof in Quran almost every Rasool was a Nabi and almost every Nabi was a Rasool.

YOM

Peace,

That's by the definition that Resalah = book as opposed to Nubuwa = book.

I believe the definition supported in Quran is Nubuwa = book. For example, 5:67 in Shiite hadiths (and some Sunni hadiths as well) is revealed for the event of Ghadeer regarding Ali (a).

But the Ghadir speech is not in Quran. It's part of Resalah (the message).

There is no proof that every Rasool is a Nabi. Nor Vice Versa. There is proof in Quran almost every Rasool was a Nabi and almost every Nabi was a Rasool.
Nubuwa ( prophecy) an book ( kitab) are different conceps and quran makes this distinction in surat al aankabut, when speakong about Ibrahim:
And We gave him Isaac and Jacob, and We appointed the Prophecy and the Book to be among his seed; We gave him his wage in this world, and in the world to come he shall be among the righteous. (27)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nubuwa ( prophecy) an book ( kitab) are different conceps and quran makes this distinction in surat al aankabut, when speakong about Ibrahim:
And We gave him Isaac and Jacob, and We appointed the Prophecy and the Book to be among his seed; We gave him his wage in this world, and in the world to come he shall be among the righteous. (27)
Peace,

This does not mean it's different. Many times in Quran things are said for emphasis that they are the same thing.

Madmogwai

Madmogwai
The Quran explicitly addresses the finality of prophethood in several verses, emphasizing that Muhammad is the seal of the prophets. One such verse is found in Surah Al-Ahzab (33:40) which states, "Muhammad is not the father of any of your men, but he is the Messenger of Allah and the seal of the prophets." This verse signifies that Muhammad is the final messenger sent by Allah, thus concluding the divine chain of prophethood.

Moreover, in Surah Al-A'raf (7:157), the Quran mentions that Muhammad is among the prophets who were prophesied about in previous scriptures. It states, "Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel." This verse highlights the continuity of the prophetic tradition while acknowledging Muhammad as the last and final prophet, as prophesied in earlier scriptures

YOM

Peace,

This does not mean it's different. Many times in Quran things are said for emphasis that they are the same thing.
quran is very précise, and each word has à spécial meaning. Even some times one word can mean more than one thing dépending on situations. Plus arabic langage, and the hadiths make distinction,

Do you believe there is a messenger after Muhammad pbuh?

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
quran is very précise, and each word has à spécial meaning. Even some times one word can mean more than one thing dépending on situations. Plus arabic langage, and the hadiths make distinction,

Do you believe there is a messenger after Muhammad pbuh?
Yes, and I believe Imam Mahdi (a) is the Final Messenger, but is not a Nabi.

In a ziyarah to Imam Ali (a) we say "Peace be upon you o Messenger of God". I can scan it if you wish, it's a book of Du'as and ziyarahs I have.

I believe Imams (a) would only need to become Messengers if people disagreed on the foundations and the messages conveyed by Mohammad (s). They did differ on the truth and foundations, just as Bani-Israel did and needed Messengers, so Imams (a) were Messengers.

If God wanted to say no more sent ones, he would have just said "Khatamal Mursaleen". That would leave no ambiguity that God is not sending anyone else to mankind.

There is hadith in Al-Kafi explaining "Seal of Nabiyeen" to mean no more books from God will be revealed.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So in your opinion, there is ambiguïté
Saying peace upon someone is the général salutations in Islam, when a muslim meeting another he days to him peace upon you.
For guidances after the prophet muhammed pbuh Allah send réforrmers, every century. Imam mahdi
Peace,

The Quran is a clear book. If something is ambiguous, it's due to us not reflecting properly not due to the Quran not being clear.

تِلْكَ الرُّسُلُ فَضَّلْنَا بَعْضَهُمْ عَلَىٰ بَعْضٍ ۘ مِنْهُمْ مَنْ كَلَّمَ اللَّهُ ۖ وَرَفَعَ بَعْضَهُمْ دَرَجَاتٍ ۚ وَآتَيْنَا عِيسَى ابْنَ مَرْيَمَ الْبَيِّنَاتِ وَأَيَّدْنَاهُ بِرُوحِ الْقُدُسِ ۗ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مَا اقْتَتَلَ الَّذِينَ مِنْ بَعْدِهِمْ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَا جَاءَتْهُمُ الْبَيِّنَاتُ وَلَٰكِنِ اخْتَلَفُوا فَمِنْهُمْ مَنْ آمَنَ وَمِنْهُمْ مَنْ كَفَرَ ۚ وَلَوْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ مَا اقْتَتَلُوا وَلَٰكِنَّ اللَّهَ يَفْعَلُ مَا يُرِيدُ | These are the Messenger, some of whom We gave an advantage over others: of them are those to whom Allah spoke and some of them He raised in rank, and We gave Jesus, son of Mary, manifest proofs and strengthened him with the Holy Spirit. Had Allah wished, those who succeeded them would not have fought one another after the manifest proofs had come to them. But they differed. So there were among them those who had faith and there were among them those who were faithless, and had Allah wished, they would not have fought one another; but Allah does whatever He desires. | Al-Baqara : 253

Now something to note, God talks to Musa's (a) mother (a) but this does not make her a Nabi nor a Rasool. God talks to every Messenger and Nabi just as he talked to Musa's (a) mother, this is not the issue, but here it means God's words to humanity.

What is meant by Talk to here is God's words to humanity in a form of a book. Not every Rasool hence is a Nabi.

Usually, scholars say this means (directly (ie. without an Angel)), but it seems to me, that God is telling us (to mankind through) and is telling us here not every Rasool is a Nabi.

Every Rasool and Nabi goes beyond Gabriel and Angels, and so God talks directly to all of them eventually, just as he did to Mohamad (s) in Meraaj. To me, this verse is telling us not every Rasool is a Nabi.

Last edited:

YOM

Did Ali pbuh said that his was a messenger of god? Or did our prophet? Prayer books are not necessarly à reference. Even hadiths need to be authentified to be taken as proof, as there was much liyers and apostats in islamic history, and attempts from ennemies of islam to false its faith. That had already occured after jesus.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did Ali pbuh said that his was a messenger of god? Or did our prophet? Prayer books are not necessarly à reference. Even hadiths need to be authentified to be taken as proof, as there was much liyers and apostats in islamic history, and attempts from ennemies of islam to false its faith
I think the ziyarat is rated Mutaber (reliable chain). I have to do more research on the chain though.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
This thread reminds me of this quote:

Do you not know that every religion in the world has declared every other religion a fraud? Yes, we all know it. That is the time all religions tell the truth - each of the other. Robert Ingersoll
The Baha'i Faith does not declare the other religions as fraud. It is true, that Judaism, Christianity, and Islam consider their religion the only true or the last Revelation from God.