• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which text from the Christian Bible uniquely proves that Jesus is Almighty God?

Sargonski

Just so I understand what exactly you are saying, are you referring to procreation being a miraculous process as in evolution?
I mean the process of procreation is miraculous - the process .. which I supposed could be considered part of evolution .. but I was referring to the biological process of creation .. from the spark in your daddy's eye when gazing upon mommy that fine day when a biological process began .. a fleshy abode created for a soul.. your soul .. which decended from heaven into that fleshy abode .. round 22 weeks after implantation culminating in the "I AM" moment. or if you are a Monty Python Fan "I Drink Therefor I AM" moment :) then birth.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
What is the confusion about El you think ? - did you not understand that the God of Jesus is EL .. "The Father" "Our Father who art in heaven .. hallowed be thy name" .. which is not YHWH .. at least not according to modern theological scholarship .. see Encyclopedia Brittanica "Abraham" . Abraham | Facts & Significance
I think you need to do more research about the word 'El" and how it applies. I'm not really wanting to get into a debate with you about it, but again, I think you need to do more cogent research, in other words, recognitions that apply.

YoursTrue

I mean the process of procreation is miraculous - the process .. which I supposed could be considered part of evolution .. but I was referring to the biological process of creation .. from the spark in your daddy's eye when gazing upon mommy that fine day when a biological process began .. a fleshy abode created for a soul.. your soul .. which decended from heaven into that fleshy abode .. round 22 weeks after implantation culminating in the "I AM" moment. or if you are a Monty Python Fan "I Drink Therefor I AM" moment :) then birth.
I do not believe that souls transmigrate, like from heaven to donkeys and then maybe go to what some may consider lower or higher forms of life.

Sargonski

I think you need to do more research about the word 'El" and how it applies. I'm not really wanting to get into a debate with you about it, but again, I think you need to do more cogent research, in other words, recognitions that apply.

I have done plenty of research .. unfortunately it is you who is having trouble with the information presented ... information which is not about me... or my research .. but what modern theological scholarship thinks .. as per the Abraham link given you says which is that EL is the God of Abraham .. something no longer debated in serious circles .. of those that have done the researth .. and thus your debate is not with me on this particular point of order .. but with modern theological scholarship .. now added into the Bible by modern translations .. thus the Bible now tells you that EL is the God of the divine council in Heaven .. the Assembly of El in which YHWH stands and pleads his case among the Gods.. Psalm 82 -- New English Translation
- YHWH stands in[b] the assembly of El;[c] in the midst of the gods he renders judgment.[e]

I took the liberty of clicking on footnote (c) for you .. so we can find out who this EL fellow is.

The phrase עֲדַת אֵל (ʿadat ʾel, “assembly of El”) appears only here in the OT. (1) Some understand “El” to refer to God himself. In this case he is pictured presiding over his own heavenly assembly. (2) Others take אֵל as a superlative here (“God stands in the great assembly”), as in Pss 36:6 and 80:10. (3) The present translation assumes this is a reference to the Canaanite high god El, who presided over the Canaanite divine assembly. (See Isa 14:13, where El’s assembly is called “the stars of El.”) In the Ugaritic myths the phrase ʿdt ʾilm refers to the “assembly of the gods,” who congregate in King Kirtu’s house, where Baal asks El to bless Kirtu’s house (see G. R. Driver, Canaanite Myths and Legends, 91). If the Canaanite divine assembly is referred to here in Ps 82:1, then the psalm must be understood as a bold polemic against Canaanite religion. Israel’s God invades El’s assembly, denounces its gods as failing to uphold justice, and announces their coming demise. For an interpretation of the psalm along these lines, see W. VanGemeren, “Psalms,” EBC 5:533-36.

Now that the research has been done for you .. do you understand who is the "Most High" God EL .. Chief in the heavens .. while YHWH presides over earthly affairs.. Chief God on Earth. and don't blame me that this does not jive with your beliefs .. this is about what the Israelites believed about their Gods .. not what you believe about them .. and the Israelites believed in many Gods ... as did Abraham .. and the Priest-King of Jerusalem Melchi-Zedek

YoursTrue

I have done plenty of research .. unfortunately it is you who is having trouble with the information presented ... information which is not about me... or my research .. but what modern theological scholarship thinks .. as per the Abraham link given you says which is that EL is the God of Abraham .. something no longer debated in serious circles .. of those that have done the researth .. and thus your debate is not with me on this particular point of order .. but with modern theological scholarship .. now added into the Bible by modern translations .. thus the Bible now tells you that EL is the God of the divine council in Heaven .. the Assembly of El in which YHWH stands and pleads his case among the Gods.. Psalm 82 -- New English Translation
- YHWH stands in[b] the assembly of El;[c] in the midst of the gods he renders judgment.[e]

I took the liberty of clicking on footnote (c) for you .. so we can find out who this EL fellow is.

The phrase עֲדַת אֵל (ʿadat ʾel, “assembly of El”) appears only here in the OT. (1) Some understand “El” to refer to God himself. In this case he is pictured presiding over his own heavenly assembly. (2) Others take אֵל as a superlative here (“God stands in the great assembly”), as in Pss 36:6 and 80:10. (3) The present translation assumes this is a reference to the Canaanite high god El, who presided over the Canaanite divine assembly. (See Isa 14:13, where El’s assembly is called “the stars of El.”) In the Ugaritic myths the phrase ʿdt ʾilm refers to the “assembly of the gods,” who congregate in King Kirtu’s house, where Baal asks El to bless Kirtu’s house (see G. R. Driver, Canaanite Myths and Legends, 91). If the Canaanite divine assembly is referred to here in Ps 82:1, then the psalm must be understood as a bold polemic against Canaanite religion. Israel’s God invades El’s assembly, denounces its gods as failing to uphold justice, and announces their coming demise. For an interpretation of the psalm along these lines, see W. VanGemeren, “Psalms,” EBC 5:533-36.

Now that the research has been done for you .. do you understand who is the "Most High" God EL .. Chief in the heavens .. while YHWH presides over earthly affairs.. Chief God on Earth. and don't blame me that this does not jive with your beliefs .. this is about what the Israelites believed about their Gods .. not what you believe about them .. and the Israelites believed in many Gods ... as did Abraham .. and the Priest-King of Jerusalem Melchi-Zedek
You are not presenting information factually.

YoursTrue

So maybe I missed your post as to transmigrating souls...

Sargonski

You are not presenting information factually.

I have presented the facts .. The fact that the modern theological consensus states that God of Abraham was the Canaanite High God EL .. think Golden Calf the God of the ancestors of the Israelites.

Now I am sorry this information troubles you tis True .. but don't shoot the messenger .. if you think modern theological scholarship is false .. that is your cross to bear .. but don't accuse the messenger of falsehood .. for educating you in what the expert conscensus is .. such that modern Bibles have adopted this perspective .. Psalm 82 -- the Chief God of of the Divine Assembly of EL .. is EL

The information presented is directly from the Bible Footnote given previously explaining to you what the Assembly of EL

The present translation assumes this is a reference to the Canaanite high god El, who presided over the Canaanite divine assembly. (See Isa 14:13, where El’s assembly is called “the stars of El.”) In the Ugaritic myths the phrase ʿdt ʾilm refers to the “assembly of the gods,” who congregate in King Kirtu’s house, where Baal asks El to bless Kirtu’s house (see G. R. Driver, Canaanite Myths and Legends, 91). If the Canaanite divine assembly is referred to here in Ps 82:1, then the psalm must be understood as a bold polemic against Canaanite religion. Israel’s God invades El’s assembly, denounces its gods as failing to uphold justice, and announces their coming demise. For an interpretation of the psalm along these lines, see W. VanGemeren, “Psalms,” EBC 5:533-36.

YoursTrue

I have presented the facts .. The fact that the modern theological consensus states that God of Abraham was the Canaanite High God EL .. think Golden Calf the God of the ancestors of the Israelites.

Now I am sorry this information troubles you tis True .. but don't shoot the messenger .. if you think modern theological scholarship is false .. that is your cross to bear .. but don't accuse the messenger of falsehood .. for educating you in what the expert conscensus is .. such that modern Bibles have adopted this perspective .. Psalm 82 -- the Chief God of of the Divine Assembly of EL .. is EL

The information presented is directly from the Bible Footnote given previously explaining to you what the Assembly of EL
The fact is that El is connected with Elohim, and Elohim is noted as plural in majesty, referring to one person...not three and not a multitude...

Sargonski

I do not believe that souls transmigrate, like from heaven to donkeys and then maybe go to what some may consider lower or higher forms of life.

Who said anything about donkeys ? .. When you die ... it is not your body that arrives at the pearly gates .. banging on the door to get in .. but your soul who crosses to the other side .. do you remember the song they will play upon your arrival ? Upon which you will hang for a bit .. do what folks hanging in heaven do ... there are 10 million channels on the television .. 10 million worlds to choose from for your next vacation .. Upon which you will put in your request .. and when the fleshy abode is ready for your arrival they will give you the Blue Pill .. you will fall asleep .. and when you wake up you will be on your next vacation .. one of the rules of vacations is that while on vacation you will not remember your past life.. have fun :)

Sargonski

The fact is that El is connected with Elohim, and Elohim is noted as plural in majesty, referring to one person...not three and not a multitude...

No .. Sorry the Israelites were not monotheistic .. the Israelites believed in many Gods .. and so they did not have your trinitarian perspective. What the Israelites believed .. and it is there beliefs that matter here not the beliefs of some modern trinitarian -- was that the Assembly of El was .. The Assembly of El .. and everyone of the Israelites knew what the Assembly of EL was .. even if you don't .

Not just the Israelites .. but all the peoples around the Israelites .. the moabites the Phonecians .. ammonites .. Edomites .. MIdianites .. Egyptians .. Assyrians .. Babylonians.. Medes .. Persians. Everyone knows what the "Assembly of El" is referring to .. and that is a divine council of Gods .. headed by EL .. and that is what modern Bibles not tell you.. so why are you so desperate to mistranslate this passage via some trinitarian lens ?

What part of .. "its in modern bibles" .. the consensus of Modern theological scholarship .. is not sinking in ? " (3) The present translation assumes this is a reference to the Canaanite high god El, who presided over the Canaanite divine assembly. "

You see .. the Bible tells you how to translate this passage ... one in which you have the high God El presiding over a divine assembly .

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
I agree with you 100%, Jesus existed before Abraham.
English Standard Version
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” -John 8:58

Diaglott(i) 58 Said to them the Jesus: Indeed indeed I say to you, before Abraham to have been born, I am.

John 8:58 And Jesus replied: ‘I tell you the truth; I existed before AbraHam was born!’ The 2001 Translation

NSB(i) John 8:58 Jesus said: »I tell you the truth, I existed before Abraham was born!«

Either way it is worded Jesus existed before Abraham, but does this verse really explain Jesus is the Almighty?

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member
1) The majority of texts support the doctrine of unity.

2) The interpretation of John 14:16, 20, 30 is partially as taught by Basil the Great and Saint Augustine, namely, if the relationship is permanent, it proves the doctrine of the Trinity; if it is functional missiological, it proves only the doctrine of unity.

3) The Catholic churches explicitly declare that the doctrine of the Trinity is a dogma developed philosophically in Trinitarian formulas like 2 Corinthians 13:13 {Catechism of the Catholic Church drafted after the Second Vatican Council & 249.}

4) The verses, almost all very ambiguous, that lead one to think that Jesus is "theos" (John 20:28; Rom 9:5; Phil 2:6) may only be saying that Jesus is a christological Elohim akin to (Exodus 21:6; 1 Samuel 2:25), since the Greek term "theos" God/god is interchangeable with the Hebrew term elohim in the Hebrew Bible and Septuagint.

This
, the OP title, is a "contradictio in terminis"
IF by Jesus you mean the man born ca. 2000 years ago, who walked on the earth for x years

You can never truthfully "box" God into a person who ran around on the face of the earth, not Jesus, not Krishna, not Muhammad or any other (Poorna) Avatar, Prophet, Messenger or other person.

Boxing God belittles God, making God "not Amighty", but a limited "God edition"

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member

This
, the OP title, is a "contradictio in terminis"
IF by Jesus you mean the man born ca. 2000 years ago, who walked on the earth for x years

You can never truthfully "box" God into a person who ran around on the face of the earth, not Jesus, not Krishna, not Muhammad or any other (Poorna) Avatar, Prophet, Messenger or other person.

Boxing God belittles God, making God "not Amighty", but a limited "God edition"
Jesus is God.

The entire New Testament teaches that. I suggest that you read it.

Here is a brief explanation: "After God spoke long ago in various portions[b] and in various ways to our ancestors[d] through the prophets, in these last days he has spoken to us in a son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he created the world. The Son is the radiance of his glory and the representation of his essence, and he sustains all things by his powerful word, and so when he had accomplished cleansing for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high."

For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my son! Today I have fathered you”? And in another place he says, “I will be his father and he will be my son.” But when he again brings his firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all the angels of God worship him!” And he says of the angels, “He makes his angels winds and his ministers a flame of fire,” but of the Son he says,

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever,
and a righteous scepter is the scepter of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness.
So God, your God, has anointed you over your companions with the oil of rejoicing.”

Hebrews 1:1-9

Muffled

Jesus in me
The Torah is a part of the Bible. There is also the prophets -- the Nevi'im (from which you quote) -- and "the writings"-- the Ketuvim.

If you don't accept later texts, why do you quote Isaiah?
It wass my understanding that the Torah was all the old testament and not just the Pentateuch.

Muffled

Jesus in me

Isaiah 9:6
One way competent Bible scholars have interpreted the meaning of this name is with the understanding that it (as with many, if not most, of the other Israelites' personal names) does not apply directly to the Messiah, but is, instead, a statement praising the Father, Jehovah God.

Personal names in the ancient Hebrew and Greek are often somewhat cryptic to us today. The English Bible translator must fill in the missing minor words (especially in names composed of two or more Hebrew words) such as "my," "is," "of," etc. in whatever way he thinks best in order to make sense for us today in English.

Therefore, the personal name at Is. 9:6 has been honestly translated as:

"And his name is called: Wonderful in counsel is God the Mighty, the everlasting Father, the Ruler of peace" - The Holy Scriptures, JPS Version (Margolis, ed.) to show that it is intended to praise the God of the Messiah who performs great things through the Messiah.

‘For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called, ‘Wonderful, Counselor [IS] The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.’ The two letter word ‘is,’ is usually not stated in Hebrew. Rather, the ‘is’ is understood.” - https://edward-t-babinski.blogspot.com/2016/04/prophecy-about-jesus-mighty-god.html

The Leeser Bible also translates it:

“Wonderful, counsellor of the mighty God, of the everlasting Father, the prince of peace”

Also, An American Translation (by trinitarians Smith and Goodspeed) says:
"Wonderful counselor is God almighty, Father forever, Prince of peace."

From the Is. 9:6 footnote in the trinity-supporting NET Bible:

".... some have suggested that one to three of the titles that follow ['called'] refer to God, not the king. For example, the traditional punctuation of the Hebrew text suggests the translation, 'and the Extraordinary Strategist, the Mighty God calls his name, "Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."'"

And,

‘Wonderful in counsel is God the mighty, the Everlasting Father, the Ruler of Peace’ (Hertz 1968).

Of course it could also be honestly translated: "Wonderful Counselor and Mighty God is the Eternal Father of the Prince of Peace."

And the Tanakh by the JPS, 1985, translates it:

[a]"The Mighty God is planning grace;
The Eternal Father [is] a peaceable ruler."

This latter translation seems particularly appropriate since it is in the form of a parallelism. Not only was the previous symbolic personal name introduced by Isaiah at Is. 8:1 a parallelism ("Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz" means [a]"quick to the plunder; swift to the spoil" - NIV footnote) but the very introduction to this Messianic name at Is. 9:6 is itself a parallelism: [a]"For unto us a child is born; unto us a son is given." It would, therefore, be appropriate to find that this name, too, was in the form of a parallelism as translated by the Tanakh above.

So it is clear, even to a number of trinitarian scholars, that Is. 9:6 does not imply that Jesus is Jehovah God.
a son is born is about the father God. I would agree. Of course that son is named by theangel Gabriel as Jesus.

Muffled

Jesus in me

You should always give the reference to your quotes. Which Bible translation has "fully God"?

And many translations mistranslate by capitalizing the last use of theos (god) in this verse, but any complete analysis of John's usage and grammar concerning this verse will show that "a god" was intended. - John 1:1c Primer - For Grammatical Rules That Supposedly "Prove" the Trinity
I believe in the beginning there was a god does not mean the same thing as in the beginning there was God. It certainly is not what God says about HImself. Gen. 1:1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth

jimb

Premium Member
It wass my understanding that the Torah was all the old testament and not just the Pentateuch.
The torah is actually the first five "books", but the term is often used to mean the entire Jewish bible.