• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Which text from the Christian Bible uniquely proves that Jesus is Almighty God?

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
They are not "lesser gods"! If you don't understand the Trinity, TRY HARDER.

The First Commandment says "You shall have no other gods before me."

John 1:3 says, "All things were created by him [Jesus Christ], and apart from him not one thing was created that has been created."

And Genesis 1:1 says "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

Clearly, Jesus is God.
Yes there is lesser Gods, Exodus 4:16, 7:1 explains Moses is as God to Pharaoh.

Moses was sent by God, given power by God, given instructions by God, given authority by God. But there is still one Almighty God.

If we listen to all Jesus words, Jesus was sent by God, given power by God, given God's will, did nothing on his own, Jesus was given all authority and Jesus says the Father has given him, to have life within himself.

amazing grace

You and I are close to being in full agreement with your statements.

As the First-Century Christians called Jesus at Acts 4:24-30:
““Sovereign Lord, you are the One who made the heaven and the earth and the sea and all the things in them, 25 and who said through holy spirit by the mouth of our forefather David, your servant: ‘Why did nations become agitated and peoples meditate on empty things? 26 The kings of the earth took their stand and the rulers gathered together as one against Jehovah and against his anointed one.’ 27 For truly both Herod and Pontius Pilate with men of the nations and with peoples of Israel were gathered together in this city against your holy servant Jesus, whom you anointed, 28 to do what your hand and counsel had determined. 29 And now, Jehovah, give attention to their threats, and grant to your slaves to keep speaking your word with all boldness, 30 while you stretch out your hand for healing and while signs and wonders occur through the name of your holy servant Jesus.

They called Jesus (thought of Him) as God’s “Servant”, not another part of God.
Yes, Jesus was presented as God's servant.
But Jesus’ words at John 17:5..”So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.”
Yes, that is what is said but sometimes in scripture things are spoken of in the past tense as having happened when they have not literally happened - speaking of things that don't yet exist, as though they exist. In the Bible, a person can "have" something before they literally have it or even before they literally exist. God told Abraham "I have made you the father of many nations" way before Abraham even had children. God speaks of things that don't exist as if they already exist (Romans 4:17) Read Isaiah 53 - it's all in past tense but Jesus did not suffer those things until he actually existed. Predestined things are spoken of as already existing because they are "as good as done" in God's eyes.
At John 8:58, Jesus said he existed “before Abraham.”
The question would be figuratively or literally? Did Jesus exist before Abraham in the mind and plan of God?
The Apostle Paul, at Colossians 1:15,16, called Jesus “the Firstborn of all creation”; and Jesus Himself said He was “the beginning of the creation by God”, at Revelation 3:14.
"the firstborn of all creation" = v.18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. So I believe that this section of scripture is speaking of the age to come of which Jesus was the beginning being the firstborn of the dead and what he is creating is the age to come - thrones, dominions, rulers, authorities. Revelation 3:14 can be translated "ruler", "beginning" "first" as in first in rank. The CEB, CJB, and the NIV have "beginning" translated "ruler" which would read - "The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation."
In Genesis 1:28, where Jehovah God said “Let us make man in our image “, God was speaking to someone… no doubt it was His Firstborn, since it was “through him” that all things came to exist. Colossians 1:16 says “by means of him all things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible.”
"Let us make man in our image" - God speaking to his heavenly court - the angels.
Again, I believe Colossians 1:16 is speaking of the new creation, the new heaven and new earth, the coming age.
So through these Scriptures, I believe that Jesus did have a prehuman existence… in fact, had a big role in accomplishing God’s purposes.

See Proverbs 8:23-31
In my humble opinions as stated above I don't believe Jesus preexisted. What does a "prehuman existence" look like? Also being human, do we all preexist before we are born? Now, Christ is said to be the wisdom of God in 1 Cor. 1:24 because the plan for humankind's redemption was conceived and brought to completion according to the wisdom of God. I see Proverbs 8 simply as a personification of wisdom.
Have a good day, my cousin.
Thank you - you too!

walt

John 17:24 Father, I want those whom you have given me to be with me where I am, in order that they may look upon my glory that you have given me, because you loved me before the founding of the world.

John 17:5 So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.

For Jesus to be given
love and glory before the world was, from His Father. Isn't Jesus words explaining He was with His Father before the world was created?

These two scriptures are just as factual as any other two scriptures, Isn't that true? - Do you feel these are very important scriptures?

Last edited:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I'm just a Hindu who knows much about Christianity.
You’re Hindu?
Nice to meet you (although anonymously).

I think we’ve interacted on here before.

Do you remember what Paul said in Acts 20, when he was speaking with the Ephesians elders? In vss.29,30, he stated: “I know that after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, 30 and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.”

Notice, ‘after his going away’; not 1,000 years later.

What quality did Jesus want His followers to display the most? I’m sure you’d agree, that it is love. — John 13:34,35; Matthew 5:44

But when you look at Christendom’s history, even at it’s inception, instead of supporting Christlike love, its leaders began supporting the State in its conflicts & warfare! Now the majority of Christians are trinitarians. Professed Christians of the trinitarian persuasion have been killing each other for centuries, simply due to ideological or geographical differences because the state tells its citizens to.

See James 4:4

You can’t profess to follow Christ, and condone killing others. That’s why Jesus told his followers to be “not of / no part of this world.” (John 15:19; 17:16) He knew there would be consequences where the two couldn’t mix. And hatred on the part of the world would ensue.

So right from the beginning of Christendom, we see deviation from following Christ.
Christianity was hijacked early on.
If Christendom hadnt deviated from Christ’s teachings, they would be blessed with God’s spirit, which engenders “love…peace.”

I don’t see it. you don’t see it either otherwise you’d be a Christian.
I think you have a good heart. if we knew each other, we’d probably be good friends.

Take care, my cousin.

cataway

Yes, Jesus was presented as God's servant.

Yes, that is what is said but sometimes in scripture things are spoken of in the past tense as having happened when they have not literally happened - speaking of things that don't yet exist, as though they exist. In the Bible, a person can "have" something before they literally have it or even before they literally exist. God told Abraham "I have made you the father of many nations" way before Abraham even had children. God speaks of things that don't exist as if they already exist (Romans 4:17) Read Isaiah 53 - it's all in past tense but Jesus did not suffer those things until he actually existed. Predestined things are spoken of as already existing because they are "as good as done" in God's eyes.

The question would be figuratively or literally? Did Jesus exist before Abraham in the mind and plan of God?

"the firstborn of all creation" = v.18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. So I believe that this section of scripture is speaking of the age to come of which Jesus was the beginning being the firstborn of the dead and what he is creating is the age to come - thrones, dominions, rulers, authorities. Revelation 3:14 can be translated "ruler", "beginning" "first" as in first in rank. The CEB, CJB, and the NIV have "beginning" translated "ruler" which would read - "The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God's creation."

"Let us make man in our image" - God speaking to his heavenly court - the angels.
Again, I believe Colossians 1:16 is speaking of the new creation, the new heaven and new earth, the coming age.

In my humble opinions as stated above I don't believe Jesus preexisted. What does a "prehuman existence" look like? Also being human, do we all preexist before we are born? Now, Christ is said to be the wisdom of God in 1 Cor. 1:24 because the plan for humankind's redemption was conceived and brought to completion according to the wisdom of God. I see Proverbs 8 simply as a personification of wisdom.

Thank you - you too!
you dont believe Jesus was the first of all creation ? you dont believe Jesus had a prehuman existence?
you asked ''do we all preexist before we are born'' well yes we do exist before we are born . then we are born

amazing grace

John 17:24 Father, I want those whom you have given me to be with me where I am, in order that they may look upon my glory that you have given me, because you loved me before the founding of the world.

John 17:5 So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.

For Jesus to be given
love and glory before the world was, from His Father. - Do you feel these are very important words?

These two scriptures are just as factual as any other two scriptures, Isn't that true?
I believe that every word in scripture is important. There are literary components to the Bible as with any book and just because something is to be understood in a figurative manner does not mean that it is not real!

John 17:24 "to be with me where I am" - Is Jesus talking about where he is as he is praying or where he will be when he is exalted to the right hand of God? Which is when we may look upon the glory that God has given him.
And yes, God loved His Son before the foundation of the world just as he has chosen us before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4) even though we did not preexist!

John 17:5 "with the glory that I had with you before the world existed" - the promised glory he would receive when he was raised up and exalted to God's right hand. The glory was promised to him before the world existed - he had to suffer many things BEFORE he received that promise - "Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory? And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (Luke 24:26,27)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I believe that every word in scripture is important. There are literary components to the Bible as with any book and just because something is to be understood in a figurative manner does not mean that it is not real!

John 17:24 "to be with me where I am" - Is Jesus talking about where he is as he is praying or where he will be when he is exalted to the right hand of God? Which is when we may look upon the glory that God has given him.
And yes, God loved His Son before the foundation of the world just as he has chosen us before the foundation of the world (Eph. 1:4) even though we did not preexist!

John 17:5 "with the glory that I had with you before the world existed" - the promised glory he would receive when he was raised up and exalted to God's right hand. The glory was promised to him before the world existed - he had to suffer many things BEFORE he received that promise - "Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer these things and enter into his glory? And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself." (Luke 24:26,27)
Hello. I cannot say I understand every word or statement in the holy scriptures, but I appreciate the message. That of peace and harmony with God and man. And looking forward to the future.

walt

So are you saying Jesus did not exist anywhere before the virgin birth by Mary?

amazing grace

you dont believe Jesus was the first of all creation ? you dont believe Jesus had a prehuman existence?
you asked ''do we all preexist before we are born'' well yes we do exist before we are born . then we are born
I believe Colossians 1:15 "the firstborn of all creation" refers to v18 - "the firstborn from the dead".
No, I do not believe Jesus had a "prehuman existence"? What exactly is a "prehuman existence"?
Where do we preexist? How did we preexist?
I don't believe that anyone exist until they are created in the womb by the procreative act of their mother and father.
I don't believe that Jesus existed until God created him in the womb of Mary.

cataway

I believe Colossians 1:15 "the firstborn of all creation" refers to v18 - "the firstborn from the dead".
No, I do not believe Jesus had a "prehuman existence"? What exactly is a "prehuman existence"?
Where do we preexist? How did we preexist?
I don't believe that anyone exist until they are created in the womb by the procreative act of their mother and father.
I don't believe that Jesus existed until God created him in the womb of Mary
That is what I believe. Jesus was human just like us - we do not exist before our conception and birth neither did he.
ok an good we have all ready made progress you do believe we exist before we are born . how was it
God was able to put Jesus into Mary ? its said she was a virgin and remained that way till the birth of Jesus

JerryMyers

Clearly you don't understand what "being open to being taught by God" means.

Also, I have no interest in what you have to say. Since you revel in personal insults, I will ignore any future posts by you.
You wrote –

“Clearly you don't understand what "being open to being taught by God" means.”

I doubt whether you even know how to differentiate between what’s taught by God and what’s taught by man.

You wrote -

Also, I have no interest in what you have to say. Since you revel in personal insults, I will ignore any future posts by you.”

Well, I am not going to lose any sleep over that - that’s for sure, and it is not going to make any difference to me as you have not really ‘responded’ with anything good explanation as to why you think Jesus is God. All you have done is quote 1 or 2 verses with no explanation, and then repeat ‘Jesus is God’ like a parrot – that’s not an insult, that’s the truth!

I am looking for someone, any Trinitarian in this forum, who can give me a good explanation, quoting verses, as to why they believe Jesus is God.
Until I find that someone, the answer to the OP ‘Which text from the Christian Bible uniquely proves that Jesus is God’, the answer is NONE!

amazing grace

ok an good we have all ready made progress you do believe we exist before we are born .
Nope.
how was it
God was able to put Jesus into Mary ? its said she was a virgin and remained that way till the birth of Jesus
Luke 1:26-32, 34,35 "In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed[to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. . . . . And Mary said to the angel, "How will this be since I am a virgin? And the angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be dalled holy---the Son of God."

God miraculously supplied what was needed for conception to take place.

JerryMyers

Don't bother discussing anything with @JerryMyers . He is nothing but confrontational and what he says is of no value. I feel very sorry for him.

BTW, I very much appreciate your posts, especially your explanation of the difference between Eastern and Western Christianity. It makes me want to examine Eastern Christianity more than I already have.
You wrote -

“Don't bother discussing anything with @JerryMyers . He is nothing but confrontational and what he says is of no value. I feel very sorry for him.”.

Well, that speaks volumes of your character, @jimb.

I would never try to influence anyone from discussing anything with you or anyone else. I think everyone here has the freedom of choice to discuss (or not to) with anyone, without someone else influencing him/her. I truly feel sorry for you, @jimb.

Funny, how it’s ok for you to insult me (like saying what I said has no value), and I don’t even react to that… and yet, you ‘scream’ every time you feel someone has 'insulted' you…
Grow up, @jimb!

BTW, I am sure if @mangalavara chose to ignore my posts, it’s his own choice, and not because you 'influence' him.

cataway

Nope.

Luke 1:26-32, 34,35 "In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, to a virgin betrothed[to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David. And the virgin's name was Mary. And he came to her and said, “Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!” But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be. And the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. . . . . And Mary said to the angel, "How will this be since I am a virgin? And the angel answered her, "The Holy Spirit will come upon you and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; therefore the child to be born will be dalled holy---the Son of God."

God miraculously supplied what was needed for conception to take place.
ah . then in your opinion Jesus began his existence in the womb of a human woman . yet Jesus said of him self
“Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”
then according to you Jesus lied.
how ever other scriptures disagree with you
  • thumbnail

Proverbs 8:22

• 22 Jehovah produced me as the beginning of his way,+
      The earliest of his achievements of long ago.
      +

• John 1:1

• 1 In the beginning was the Word,+ and the Word was with God,+ and the Word was a god.+

• John 17:5

• 5 So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.+

• Philippians 2:6, 7

• 6 who, although he was existing in God’s form,+ did not even consider the idea of trying to be equal to God.+ 7 No, but he emptied himself and took a slave’s form+ and became human.*+

• Colossians 1:15-17

• 15 He is the image of the invisible God,+ the firstborn of all creation;+ 16 because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible,+ whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him+ and for him. 17 Also, he is before all other things,+ and by means of him all other things were made to exist,

amazing grace

ah . then in your opinion Jesus began his existence in the womb of a human woman . yet Jesus said of him self
“Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.”
then according to you Jesus lied.
The story of Jesus birth is the beginning of his life so yes, he began his existence womb of a human woman because he was a human.
No, I do not believe that Jesus lied. I believe that Jesus was in the mind of God before Abraham therefore, Jesus figuratively existed but did not literally exist until his birth. So I just have a different understanding of John 8:58
how ever other scriptures disagree with you
  • thumbnail

Proverbs 8:22

• 22 Jehovah produced me as the beginning of his way,+
      The earliest of his achievements of long ago.
      +

• John 1:1
    • 1 In the beginning was the Word,+ and the Word was with God,+ and the Word was a god.+

• John 17:5
    • 5 So now, Father, glorify me at your side with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.+

• Philippians 2:6, 7
    • 6 who, although he was existing in God’s form,+ did not even consider the idea of trying to be equal to God.+ 7 No, but he emptied himself and took a slave’s form+ and became human.*+

• Colossians 1:15-17
    • 15 He is the image of the invisible God,+ the firstborn of all creation;+ 16 because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible,+ whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him+ and for him. 17 Also, he is before all other things,+ and by means of him all other things were made to exist,
I believe I have touched on John 17:5, Colossians 1:15-17 and Proverbs 8 previously.
Each of the verses you have posted do not say that Jesus preexisted - a human being does not exist before his conception and birth.
Example: I can say that I figuratively preexisted in the mind of my parents as their desire to have a child, but I did not literally exist before I was conceived and born.
Are you Trinitarian? Do you believe that Jesus was "God the Son"; a "Godman"; "100% God and 100% man"?
Is that why you believe in the preexistence of Jesus?

cataway

The story of Jesus birth is the beginning of his life so yes, he began his existence womb of a human woman because he was a human.
No, I do not believe that Jesus lied. I believe that Jesus was in the mind of God before Abraham therefore, Jesus figuratively existed but did not literally exist until his birth. So I just have a different understanding of John 8:58

I believe I have touched on John 17:5, Colossians 1:15-17 and Proverbs 8 previously.
Each of the verses you have posted do not say that Jesus preexisted - a human being does not exist before his conception and birth.
Example: I can say that I figuratively preexisted in the mind of my parents as their desire to have a child, but I did not literally exist before I was conceived and born.
Are you Trinitarian? Do you believe that Jesus was "God the Son"; a "Godman"; "100% God and 100% man"?
why are you here ?? you speak as being of the antichrist ?
its true the man Jesus was born human as there was a need for him to be the equal to the first man Adam. .(.likely another thing you don't like to hear)

putting all the scriptures together they read that yes Jesus had an existence from so long ago it's hard to even imagine .

YoursTrue

No, I do not believe that Jesus lied. I believe that Jesus was in the mind of God before Abraham therefore, Jesus figuratively existed but did not literally exist until his birth. So I just have a different understanding of John 8:58U

In order to understand the Bible God must reach a person. That means his holy spirit, or active force. Just as it was hovering over the waters in the beginning.

YoursTrue

It may be hard to imagine how it happened biologically, but do you agree that Mary did not have relations with a man when she conceived Jesus in her womb?